“Island in the Sun”

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Alberta
“Island in the Sun”
Reviewed 15 January 2009

I spent the week leading up to Christmas at this resort with my 80 year old mother and we had an absolutely fabulous vacation. We stayed in one of the beach bungalows, slightly away from the main hotel as I had read the recommendation on Trip Advisor and it was well worth the extra (minimal) expense. How perfect to fall asleep to the sound of the surf pouding outside your door!
Hard to rate which was best - the idyllic location, amazing staff, or great food - there was a nice mix of guests, not all honeymooners or retirees so we felt very included in all the activities. However, not too many young families (Jolly Beach just up the coastline caters more to kids I believe). Saving up for next year!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — mattress not very comfortable
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank Watooka

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Nashville
Reviewed 15 January 2009

I used to go to Hawksbill with my parents 40 years ago. My wife and I went to celebrate our 10th anniversary and had the best vacation of our lives. Great staff, food, beaches, accomodations. We stayed in one of the Honeymmon Cove bungalows, just wonderful. My wife declared on the second morning "We'll be coming back often". Many thanks to the folks at Hawksbill for a very memorable time

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009
4 Thank NashvilleStudioman
weston super mare
Reviewed 4 January 2009

We have just returned from a holiday at the hawksbill for xmas and new year. The hotel in itself is lovely and the staff were fantastic, the weather was good however when it rains is it a down poor and not just a few spits. I had read reviews that the hotel only had guests there over the age of 70 however this was not the case, their were people of all ages but only little children, which was a shame for us as we have 2 children aged 7 and 11. I would recommend this hotel for couples only or couples with very small children as there is no kids facilities at all, the pool is also very small. The food was very good and differed every night with at least 3/4 nights al la carte with table service the rest of time the food is on a self service basis. The beaches were lovely and clean. Xmas day was good with xmas music playing which was nice with out bbq lunch on the beach, we had music and crackers with evening meal, however new year was fantastic, we had great food, live music and fireworks at midnight, it was the best new year I have had in a long time. Antigua is a lovely resort and worth a visit, we went on a great trip with virgin called island safari, it was great as we went on a 4x4 trip and then did kayak and snorkeling and had lunch on a deserted beach, well worth a try.

• Liked — spacious
  • Disliked — basic
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank hillbillys4
hawkseye, Assistant Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 11 January 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Hawksbill. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay for the Christmas and New Year. We certainly look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 January 2009

This was our second visit and we love it there. The staff is friendly and nice. The food is good for an all incluvisve resort and Hawksbill has four beautiful beaches. On our last trip we stayed in the beach front club room, but this stay we requested a Honeymoon Beach room and liked those rooms even more. We plan to return next year.

• Liked — Four great beaches and lots of friendly people
  • Disliked — Everything was great
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BestBeaches007
We are happy that you chose to return to hawksbill by rex resorts again. We certainly appreciate your review certainly hope that you will continue to return.
Motcombe, Nr Shaftesbury, Dorset
Reviewed 14 December 2008

Just returned from our 18th visit to the Hawksbill and have had a great time. We know the hotel needs investment, and expect that will happen as soon as the lease renewal has been sorted out, but there is so much that's good about the Hawksbill it would be churlish to complain about outdated furniture.
The Hawksbill has the best location of any hotel on the island and, with 4 beaches to chose from, doesn't feel crowded even whan the hotel is full. The bungalows in the well tended gardens (but please let the flowers bloom) are idealic but the real jewel of the Hawksbill is its staff. Read their name tags and address them by name and the response is a wide happy smile that's totally delightful. The staff are helpful and attentive in all departments, including the seldom mentioned housekeeping and kitchens, and nothing is too much trouble. I've seen TripAdvisor reports to the contrary but I suggest the authors of those don't know how to treat the staff with the respect they deserve; I doubt any of us have to work as hard as they do or for so many hours.
Those of us that have returned many times, and there are a lot of us, might appear to get a more friendly service but the staff take their lead from the guests and will not be over familiar with first timers, as you would expect. Talk to them, get to know them a little, and you'll get the same response we do.
If you want lots of night life and loud entertainment then go elsewhere, but if you really want to relax in beautiful surroundings the Hawksbill is a must.
Our thanks go to Richard Michelin and all his Hawksbill staff for another fantastic 2 weeks in paradise. We'll be back same time next year.

• Liked — Bungalows in Gardens
  • Disliked — Furniture and furnishings are old and dated
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Tisketsmum
hawkseye, Assistant Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 21 December 2008
We would like to thank you for your review of our resort and certainly hope that you will return.
London
Reviewed 14 December 2008

Having just returned from the beautiful island of Antigua I wanted to offer my thoughts for what they are worth on the Hawksbill Resort.

Apart from getting away from the recent icy conditions of Britain, the lure of blue skies, sunshine, warm seas, a relaxing environment and the ability to do as much or as little as you want were very high on my wish list.

A 40-45 minute taxi journey from the airport after an 8 1/2 hour flight was not the best introduction to relaxation.
Never let anyone in Britain question the budget for road maintenance. After the bumps and pot holes combined with being thrown around in the taxi, we arrived at the Hawksbill.

I had read the previous reviews and felt the underlying feeling was that of a well run hotel (perhaps in need of a lick of paint) with very friendly staff in an excellent location. I agree with all these comments. My stay was on an all inclusive basis (the first time I have stayed on this basis in the Caribbean) and buffet breakfast/lunch and dinner were included in the package.

Upon arrival we were met by a very welcoming duty manager who offered us a cool towel and drink to begin our stay. A brief formality for checking in followed with some of the world's most expensive towels on offer. Your account is provisionally charged US$200 against the return of a yellow card (which is required to be produced for access to beach towels) at check out.
Additionally, rooms have safes but again a deposit and fee are payable. Not an issue but I felt that this should have been a free service.

As I was staying in one of the Club rooms on Royal Palm Beach I was driven down from the resort reception area with my luggage via a golf buggy.
The room had it's own patio with 3 chairs and a small table provided and a clear view of the beach and ocean. You are only separated from the beach by 2 short feet of grass and hedge.
The room itself was quite spacious and adequately provisioned with 2 double beds (very comfortable), a set of drawers for storage, a fridge (not stocked) an overhead fan which was more than adequate and air conditioning unit (not used). As someone who sometimes has problems sleeping without air conditioning in hot conditions, I never once had any problems falling asleep to the gently lapping sound of waves and chirping crickets.
Rooms have a front and back door (which the housekeeping staff seem to exit by).
The wardrobe could do with a few more hangers and the doors could do with some tlc but this is common the world over.
2 sinks are provided and walk in shower that is basic in design but there was no problem with water presure or temperature.The room safe is in the wardobe area.
I brought a plug-in mosquito repellant for my room (from home)which I switched on at 5pm each evening and did not get a single mosquito bite for my entire time at the resort.
There is a 3 times a week fogging/smoking of the resort (monday, wednesday and Friday) to help eliminate the problem and each morning it was easy to see that some people had received several bites around the legs and arms.
I was very happy with the quality of the room and particularly that I was only a couple of steps from the sea.

There were 2 restaurants, breakfast (7-30 am and not a minute before) and dinner are both served in the main restaurant served just off reception with glorious views the bay and whilst you do sometimes have to contend with the odd bird wanting to make your acquaintance and share your breakfast this was never a problem.Breakfast was on a buffet basis with eggs made to order and a selection of cereals, fruits,bacon, sausage and local specialities.After a couple of days staff would let guests sit a particular table of their choice and a very nice touch was they remembered who drank tea.
Lunch was served on the Sea Grapes Beach and dining at either the Grill (Burgers, Fish of the Day, Chicken) or a waitress provided menu usually of 3 starters, main courses and deserts and of course as many drinks as you wanted.
Dinner alternated between a choice of 3 starters/main/desert or buffet.
All men are expected to wear collared shirts and long trousers for dinner. Shorts and t-shirts are fine for breakfast and lunch.
Food was a combination of international/local styled dishes that I thought was a little basic at times but was always presented in a thoughtful manner and more importantly always tasty.
There is also an Italian restaurant open on certain evenings but I did not attend so can give no opinion.
Afternoon tea is also available where a selection of sandwiches/biscuits/coffee/tea is available in the Sea Grapes Restaurant.

The resort has 2 bars. The main bar ajoining the main restaurant opens in the evening and during the day drinks can be obtained from the Sea Grapes Bar. Champagne and Bottled water seemed to be the only drinks that were not covered by the all inclusive package but tap water is perfectly safe.

There are 4 beaches, the Royal Palm, Sea Grapes, Honeymoon and Eden. The Royal Plam because of its location attracts local families (particularly on a sunday complete with sound systems and bar-b-q's) but this tends to concentrate on the extreme end of the resort.
The beach became shingled as you approached the sea and there were a number of large rocks. I would not recommend this beach for families with children.
Sea Grapes beach was the most densely populated beach and again there was a shingled approach to the sea and a drop as you enter the sea was unexpected. However, you can wade out some distance.
I didn't spend any time on the much smaller honeymoon becah or the clothing optional beach of Eden.

The resort has a small pool but when you have 4 beaches is there any need for a pool?

I think the biggest asset of the resport apart from its location (it is some distance away from any thing else apart from the Galley Bay resort in the next bay) is it's staff who are universally friendly and clearly take pride in both their island and the resort. They want you to enjoy yourself and nothing is ever too much trouble. They take the time to speak to you and honestly appear to want to know about any problems a guest might have.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the resort to my friends although I am not sure there is enough to occupy young families. If your idea of paradise is having a choice of lovely white sandy beach with warm sea to relax/swim/snorkel, to receive wonderful service, food and drink pretty much upon demand and to be able to pick up a book and read uninterrupted then the Hawksbill may just be the place for you.

• Liked — Clean and spacious
  • Disliked — Having to pay for room safe and lack of hangers
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
6 Thank Quiet_Traveller_66
Thank you for your review of our property. We certainly appreciate your comments and hope that you will be able to have the opportunity to return soon.
York
Reviewed 9 December 2008

I stayed at Hawksbill for two weeks during November. I had a wonderful stay.
Frist of all the food was great, lunch down at the beach bar had a buffet grill with varities of meats and fish. If I was not satisfied with the grill one day I had as well the choice of a menu with lots of different dishes from pasta to sandwiches.
As well, dinnig at night was exclusive, some days a la carte some days buffet. The view from the restaurant was superb and the food great I loved it.
The all inclusive was good the house wine was very good it suited well the diferent menus.
I would definitely recomend this hotel, it has a real caribean feeling.
The beaches are all wonderful did I mention there was 4 beaches the sea is clear blue and the staff is very welcoming always happy to help you.

Andrea

• Liked — The food and the Beaches
  • Disliked — Nothing. everything was great
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Saint Philips
Ocean Point Resort & Spa
Ocean Point Resort & Spa
#4 of 15 in St. John's

Been to Hawksbill by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!