“A Mixed Bag........”

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Halifax, Massachusetts
“A Mixed Bag........”
Reviewed 18 February 2009

I am finally getting around to writing a review of this property ten months after my wife and I stayed there and am sorry for such a dilitory response. How so ever, I hope it will come in handy for all those to whom it may apply. We have been to atleast twelve other carribean islands and found Antigua to be middle of the road as was the Hawsbill.

The island has some very nice beaches if you have a car and know where to find them. They are not Virgin Gorda but they are still secluded, attractive and with some marine life.
There actually is some very good reefs to snorkle off of the third and fourth beaches away from the resort..

The road system in Antigua is the Worst I have ever experienced so BEWARE! The roads are extremely narrow and full of large potholes and every farm animal you can think of. In addition, everyone drives like a maniac and of coarse on the left side of the road. This can be an issue if your from the US and are not used to it.

Antigua also has a considerable amount of poverty which may explain why the roads are in such tough shape. The vast majority of the people we met throughout the island and the resort are very nice however and will treat you the way you treat them with a few exceptions that I will expand on shortly. Overall, Antigua as Islands go is a decent place to visit. It is not on the top of my list but it is not on the bottom either.

Now the Resort

Most of what has been written by others is quite accurate.
I will start with the not so good.
The rooms are at best, minimally adequate. I would equate them to a low budget seasonal motel on Cape Cod in terms of room comfort and privacy. We had unit 25 which did have a breathtaking view and freindly birds.

The resort has a fairly serious insect problem. The mosquitos which are pretty much kept under control by the facility will give you a really bad bite if given the opportunity. Also there are small indigenous ants that will also give you an itchy stingbite and they are not kept under control. But they mostly congregate closer to the beach area. So bring Insect Repellant!

The only other negative thing I have to say about the Hawksbill (and I have to choose my words wisely) is that my wife and I were not only in the minority as being American, we were the only people from the US in a resort of hundreds of Brits. I knew going in that it would be this way to an extent but we felt out of place sometimes. I mean this without prejudice as we met many nice guests and enjoyed there company. It is just as the week wore on, we missed some of our own and we felt singled out. There was even a time at the bar by the pool where we were not given drinks until all the Brits were served including everyone behind me in line! That is not the falt of the guests but of the resort staff. SO if you are from the US and are contemplating this location, Beware!

Now the good.

I found the food to be very good to excellent most of the time. It was also varied and plentiful. The landscaping and ocean views are something out of a postcard. And the value for what you get for the money is equally attractive. They make a good drink also.

In summation,
We found the resort and Island to be a place worth visiting once. Hope this is of help as I am a stong supporter of tripadvisor and have found the reviews to be quite accurate. Now it is time to plan for Aruba....Chow!

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Ontario,Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2009

First, let me say thank-you!

My husband and I stayed at Hawksbill the last week of January, and the first week of February 09. What a wonderful place. Upon arrival we were greeted by a wonderful lady(Claudette I think) at the front desk. A nice cool cloth and a glass of bubbly will make anyone feel good. To our surprise we were upgraded to a beach bungalow, which was only steps away from the sea!! Each night we fell asleep to the sound of water rolling in, and slept like babies.

The staff were amazing! Nothing was too much for them. Notables were Latoya and Jermene(forgive me if i spelt it wrong, the bar manager). These ladies worked some crazy long hours, but always had a smile on their faces! They truly made our stay that much more memorable.

We did a couple of excursions while we were there, and I highly encourage anyone visiting Antigua to look into doing these day trips!
First, Barbuda, on the Excellence! How could you not love a tiny island in the middle of the ocean!?! White creamy sand, clear blue water, and a staff who truly enjoy their work! Thank-you!

Second, Creole cruises, absolutely fantastic!! You will not be disappointed!! Captain Glen, and "Chef" Mario were amazing!! The difference between a family run business, and a large company is in the interaction. It was easy to tell that these 2 men were enjoying what they do. The food was unbelievable, as was the snorkeling! Next time we will be doing this day trip twice!!!

OK, back to Hawksbill. Yes the resort is 48 years young, but it has everything you could ever want if you are a beach person. Fantastic food, beautiful beaches, and lots of rum!!!! If you are into water activities, Myron is always there, and more than happy to help you out. I wanted to sail on one of the Sunfish boats, but had no idea how, so Myron took me for a sail himself!! Thank-you Myron!!!

The management was fantastic. The General Manager was always around, as was the Assistant Manager. My husband had seen an areal photo of the resort that was given to repeat guest, and made a comment to Richard (GM) how nice it was. The next morning, there was a copy of this photo slipped under our door!!
We now have it framed and on our wall. Thank-you.

Without a doubt, we will be visiting Hawksbill again, and will tell anyone who will listen to also go!!

Maggie & John Room#64

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — our cleaning lady had a terrible attitude!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Maggie-John
dickenson bay
Reviewed 12 February 2009

My experience here was fantastic. My husband and I needed a relaxing , restful and quite weekend to recharge our batteries...And this was exactly the place to do such an exercise.

We stayed in the Honeymoon Cove and our room was not only ready on arrival it was cleaned all aired out and our complimentary drink was a perfect way to start this relaxing weekend of ours.

The staff was friendly and the service was excellent, the grounds i must admit was heavenly, i never seen such a well kept property like this before. All our facilities were in woorking order in our room and around the compound.

The variety of drinks at the bar coupled with the great entertainment of band and the bartender made my saturday night absolutely great. Our meals were all amazing and quite tasty..
I enjoyed my stay here and will definately be back... Do keep up the good work , the team at rex resort is great.

• Liked — My room
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank rishma
Ontario
Reviewed 10 February 2009

A group of eight friends stayed at Hawksbill in January for a fabulous holiday. We can't say enough about the staff: their friendliness, helpfulness, and willingness to go over and above their duties made a very positive and memorable stay. It is true that Hawksbill is not a five-star hotel but it has all the requisites for a relaxing and care-free vacation. The meals were plentiful and well presented and varied, the rooms (we had beach club cottages) were clean and decorated with flowers when we arrived, the grounds exceptionally well cared for and everything looked clean and well looked-after. Of course the setting itself is spectacular with its beautiful beaches and ever changing blue and turquoise water. What more could you want? We certainly hope to visit again.

• Liked — the amazing staff and the great location
  • Disliked — a lot of walking for older vacationers
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank groupofeight
ottawa
Reviewed 9 February 2009

We just returned from a week at Hawkbill Resort in Antigua. We stayed in Room 14 in the Superior Seaview Room from Jan 31/09 to Feb 7/09. We had a wonderful view of the ocean. Most nights it was wonderful to listen to the waves roll in as we went to sleep.

Our room was clean and the water pressure in the shower was amazing. Jackie our housekeeper was very grateful for the little gifts we gave her each day. The screen was ripped in our room but we sprayed bug spray and didn’t have too much of a problem with mosquitoes. We did get eaten alive by the ants on the beach though.

We enjoyed the food at breakfast; lots of fresh fruit, specialty bread, muesli, cereal etc. I loved my omelette made to order each day. At lunch I thought the food was very good, with a different kind of fish on the grill each day, as well as coleslaw and mixed green salad and another kind of salad each lunch. If you order off the menu be prepared to wait though. At supper the buffet nights had wonderful food, with local food on the menu each night. On the a la carte nights I agree the service was slow. But the food was wonderful, with specialty food like lamb and duck and I thought there was a great variety to choose from. I did not find the dining room crowded. I am diabetic and eating at 7:30pm was not a problem as there was tea from 3:30 to 5:30 where you could eat sandwiches and squares.

I agree that the crowd is older but I am in my mid forties, my husband in his early fifties and we enjoyed interacting with the retired Brits. It is really a place to relax as there is not a lot of activities. This was right up my husband’s alley, as likes to relax on the beach and read books. We really enjoyed Silvie’s garden tour and learned a lot from her.

• Liked — The view and closeness to the airport
  • Disliked — 2 hour wait at customs when we arrived
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank campervan_question
new york
Reviewed 6 February 2009

As a repeat guest at the Hawksbill for nine visits over 13 years I am sorry to have to say that the bad reviews it is getting are true now. The hotel is getting very run down and absolutely no money is being spent on it by Rex Resorts because the lease on the property is due up in about a year. But that is no excuse for not at least putting a minimum of maintenance into it and providing enough staff to keep the cleanliness and service up to a reasonable standard for the guests who will come over the next year. It is not the fault of the staff, many of whom we have got to know over the years and who are still trying quite hard under difficult circumstances.

The location and beaches and beach front rooms at the hotel have always been a wonderful asset - it truly is a beautiful location and still has that going for it. But over our last three visits the standard of maintenance and cleanliness has got worse each year. Housekeeping is as described by other reviewers. The office this year was either not staffed or a complete mess. In previous years our rooms, though shabby were cleaned well. Not this time. But when one girl is cleaning so many rooms and didn't even get to us until about 4 o'clock some days I don't think it was HER fault. Linens are ill fitting and in short supply.

When we arrived the screens in our room were in bad repair and full of holes. I mentioned it to the manager and was told something would be done. It wasn't. I then spoke to Miss Simon
( Everlie ) the assistant manager and she got them seen to. Contact her if you really need something done. She's trying hard to keep guests content.

What other reviewers have said about lamps, furnishings, water issues, state of repair etc. are all true. It's potluck. You might be lucky and get a room where everything works. You might not.

The food in the main restaurant is still OK, but service on sit down ( not buffet ) nights is slow. That didn't bother us as much as it did some other guests but the lunches are slow and of a very low standard and the beach bar restaurant where lunch is served is not at all clean anymore. The drinks staff are still managing to provide pretty good service despite everything including the break down of machines etc.

All in all it's such a great shame. A shame on Rex Resorts to still be taking people's money for such a poor standard and for expecting the staff to work so hard under such demoralizing conditions. A shame for such a beautiful location to be wasted in this way. We have loved this hotel over the years and thought of it as a comfy home away from home in a way. But it's just gone too far downhill now.

• Liked — setting
  • Disliked — maintenance and cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ryebird
NJ
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Lets start with the good and get it out of the way.
Location is great. Beaches are very nice, and some of the drinks are very good. Thats about it.

We booked a garden view bunglow. Our first room was by far is the worst I have ever had to stay in. First off it was filthy. Ants were on the towels, the shower looked like it had not been bleached in a while. We asked for a King bed and got 2 double beds. They said they would change the room the next day as they had nothing that day. So we sucked it up and stayed in the room. There was only 1 lamp in the entire room that you had to get to next to the bed, the chain on the door was broken off. When we went to use the shower the first night, the shower head was broken and had no water pressure. Beyond that there was not hot water. We managed to take cold showers by using the glass to fill water from the sink. We went to sleep and were awoken in the middle of the night. Apparently they use the back of the bungalows for storage. There were men dragging things into the bungalow at 2 AM and talking very loudly.
We got through the night and got the room changed after visiting reception many many times.

The next room was initially much better. Had 2 lamps, a light switch, cleaner initially. Shower actually had hot water and water pressure. However this one a squeaky noisy fan, and toilet that would keep running. The next day housekeeping supposidly cleaned the room. We could tell they had not done any type of cleaning, all they did was make the bed and sweep the floor. None of the amenities were restocked.

Besides the room issues, other parts of the resort need updating and need to be run better.
Breakfast was ok. Lunch was terrible. The seats in the seagrapes constantly had bird crap on them, and nobody cleaning them. Lunch menu was very limited. Sit down Dinners were understaffed and very unorganized. I felt bad for many of the guests, as it seemed there was no rime or reason to when someone got served. The food was always under seasoned, and variety was limited.

Getting a beach towel was always an adventure. You have to walk to this filthy housekeeping office where sheets and towels were laying around in bags.

We met others who stayed at another Rex resort on the island and had similar experiences. All in all this place was just dated and very poorly run. The staff does the best they can.

We've been to many islands and resorts in the caribean, usually you get what you pay for, in this case we didnt even get that. Would not reccomend anyone go here.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village

Been to Hawksbill by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!