“First time in the Caribbean”

Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Greater London, United Kingdom
“First time in the Caribbean”
Reviewed 22 March 2009

We stayed here for 10days in early March. The hotel is a little jaded; first impressions were not great and initally the staff seemed a tad indifferent. But after a couple of days - who cared, certainly not us! We settled into one of the most relaxing holidays of our lives. The location is stunning, weather superb, OK the rooms weren't brilliant but they were big, comfortable and everything worked. Food was fine and the drinks flowed. The staff turned out to be friendly and we got on well - to coin a phrase ' no worries' Would we go back? Yes, sooner the better!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank Coorojo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Southampton
Reviewed 17 March 2009

We stayed at Hawksbill in February. It was our fourth visit to the hotel and we enjoyed every minute of our stay. The location is absolutely stunning, with four beaches to walk, swim and sunbathe on. Each beach has its own special quality, from the small and beautiful Honeymoon Cove (our favourite) to the large, wilder Eden beach which provided the stunning background for our morning and afternoon walks.
The hotel is extremely well managed by Richard and his team of experienced senior staff. Guests are regularly asked if they have everything they want and whether improvements need to be made. The hotel is not a new swanky resort and the accommodation is typically Caribbean rustic, but it is comfortable and has excellent views.
The food is a mix of table service and buffet and we feel the quality has improved over the last two years.
Like the management, the general staff are excellent. Many of the staff have been at the hotel for many years and there is a sense of 'family' about them. We have always received excellent service from the restaurant and bar staff. They are friendly and remember who you are and what you like to drink.
Housekeeping is superb. Brenda our maid keeps the room immaculate, always replenishing the flowers and noting what we like in terms of coffee etc. We like to have a bath mat at the door of the room to dry our feet on before going inside. We left one there the first day and Brenda noticed and automatically ensured there was one in place each day thereafter.
The other guests are mainly a mix of English and American and we have always made friends on each holiday. A significant percentage of guests are regular repeaters with some couples having stayed in excess of 15/20 times.
Entertainment is provided several nights a week and works best when it is a band for dancing as most guests appear to enjoy this.
Hawksbill is one of our favourite Caribbean hotels; we have stayed at a number of more expensive hotels in Barbados; St Lucia, Grenada and the Grenadines but for allround value for money and for the friendly, relaxing atmosphere of the hotel it is difficult to beat.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
6 Thank caribSouthampton
England
Reviewed 11 March 2009

I am sitting here under a palm tree with my Pina Colada after a perfect day on the beach, swimming in calm blue water, chatting to friends or reading. I am trying to remember if this is my 29th or 30th trip to Hawksbill! Many like-minded good friends made here, some guests, some staff. Sometimes family with teenagers come with me , sometimes friends too, mostly alone. So safe for a woman alone. Good security. Most staff are friendly and welcoming, especially if you treat them like hardworking equals. They say, 'Welcome home!' Yes, home from home. I do travel to other places in Europe in the summer but this beats all for a tropical treat. Ok, so some things like showers, stuck doors, bathroom tiles, a few ants or mossies might annoy a bit, but this is REAL not a fantasy world or a theme park. Spacious natural grounds, good choice of food and drink. What more do you want? Tacky nightlife? Even the kids love every minute. I'll be back of course!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
7 Thank DivaEngland
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 9 March 2009

I loved this place! The location (one of the best we saw on Antigua) and the staff were great and the atmosphere very laid back. True, the bedrooms aren't 5 star but what more do you want than a comfortable bed, decent shower and fantastic view (superior seaview room)? It's perfectly adequate, clean and comfortable but if you want 5 star accommdoation then go elsewhere and pay the hefty supplement by all means! We met some great people, some of whom had returned to Hawksbill several times, and now have the severe post-holiday blues! I would definitely go back if I ever return to Antigua and would recommend it if you're looking for a relaxing holiday in a fab location with good food, a friendly atmosphere, welcoming staff and a generous supply of cocktails/wine. Shirley Heights on Sunday evening is a must and get one of the lovely chaps who run the watersports to take you round to the '5th' beach (past the nudist beach) which is beautiful and unspoilt - you'll have it to yourself.

• Stayed March 2009
3 Thank SeptPrincess
South Carolina
Reviewed 8 March 2009

For many years, I grew up hearing stories of Antigua. My father was in the US Navy and I was born in Antigua in 1966. However, I was just a few months old when my family returned to the States. My husband and I planned for many years to visit so that I could see the country in which I was born and was proud to claim as my birthplace. Alot of research was put in to the accomodations and things to do while visiting this place I had heard so many stories about. Hawskbill, Antigua is the place we decided on. My parents were invited to share in this reunion.

Enough history, now the review. The moment we arrived at Hawksbill, we were treated like we were the most special people there. We were greeted by the most professional staff. I remember being miserably hot. Cool drinks (champagne) and chilled towels were offered to make us feel more comfortable. Of course, my mom shared our history and the staff made me feel as though I were home. The rooms were very clean and well kept the entire stay. The food was always a treat. The wait staff (David and others) never failed to acknowledge us even if we were just passing through. We requested to have a taxi take us in to see the other parts of the island so that my parents could go down memory lane. All was arranged by Everly. We spent most of the day driving throughout the island. My parents felt very fortunate to have had someone arrange this for them. The beaches were awesome. Beach #4 was ours to ourselves most of the time. I have to say that the staff at Hawskbill (and my husband) made a little girl's dream a reality. She' not so little anymore. The only complaint s I have is that I couldn't stay longer and my children didn't share in this experience. (Of no fault of Hawksbill)

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank Wadadli-in-SC
Toronto
Reviewed 2 March 2009

We spent our honeymoon at the Hawksbill resort over 4 nights. The first hint this was going to be interesting was when we arrived at the entrance. The resort is set with a unique back drop of close hills rising to the west and the deep blue sea to the east. Its beaches provided an great selection of what Antigua had to offer us. From the first person we met at the resort to the last goodbye we felt great about the service and staff at the resort.

Though not the whitest sand the beaches are well kept and the water was clean and the perfect temperature. Snorkeling just off shore which gets even better as you go around the rock that resembles the name. The weather was perfect from 10 AM through to 3 AM. The very brief tropical morning shower keeps the surroundings very green when compared to the South West side of Antigua (45 minutes away). St Johns was only 10 - 15 away.

The food was just simply good. Each meal offered a selection of items. Breakfast has a wide selection from the healthy to the more hardy. Lunch offered a more outdoor style where the grill chef always had at least 2 options (loved the fish) and 2 or more local "sides". The tea time and dinner items were my favourite.

Tea time offered nice tid bits of pastry and tea of course. Dinner was a trip in itself each night. Themed from the romantic settings, the managers night, to the most enjoyable live music night. I understand there are even more events for the other 3 nights we didn't see. The food was as I previously said simply good and much to offer for any appetite and included much of the Caribbean styled cuisine.

We quickly forgot about the hustle of the outside world and wanted to stay in the resort for much longer than we could. We would recommend this to any family member or friend. We were one of the few younger couples at this time of year but we didn't mind it one bit as the even the guests were very friendly as well.

The last thing I would say is if you need something ask, someone will try to help. And be sure to have a drink at the bar next to where dinner is served. I have never seen such a sunset in all my years (21) of living in the Caribbean .

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Revial
hawkseye, Assistant Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 3 March 2009
Dear Revial Toronto;

Thank you for your reveiw of Hawksbill by rex resorts. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and the fact that you have fond memories of our Antiguan Sunsets.

We certainly look forward to seeing you again at Hawksbill some time!
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2009

We stayed in the Hawksbill at a busy time - the Test Match was on - and after reading previous reviews I was not looking forward to it. What a surprise - yes the hotel is "tired" and some rooms (ours included) are in need of a total make-over. Our wooden slats were very difficult to close each night. But, the room was clean and everything else worked. Apart from the location that no-one denies is amazingly beautiful, what made it for me were the staff - all of whom were fantastic. One of our group had severe food allergies - every morning one of the waitresses would discuss the evening menu and agree on his main course - and it was delivered exactly at promised at the same time as ours. As for value for money - I thought all inclusive meant local drinks were free - I don't call Baileys Licquer a local drink - plus 4 meals a day all including including a massive breakfast with eggs cooked any way to order and a fresh barbecue lunch of meat or fish. There was also different live entertainment every evening. For a 3 star standard hotel - which is what our travel company rated it as - it was excellent value . The other half of our Group were staying in the 4 star Grand Royal Antiguan - guess which group were happier?

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank maggie9898210
Dear Maggiehemelhempstead,

We have noted your concerns regarding shutters in your room and some of the rooms of your fellow travellers and will certainly address this issue.

However, I am happy that you found the staff very friendly and helpful during your stay. If you do read this comment we would appreciate it if you could respond directly to us so that we could specially commend that member of staff who was so helpful to you throughout your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. John's
#1 of 1 in Saint Philips
Ocean Point Resort & Spa
Ocean Point Resort & Spa
#4 of 15 in St. John's

Been to Hawksbill by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!