“Reservations”

Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 8 November 2010

My review starts with our arrrival in Antigua, due to technical problems with the plane we arrived 5 hours late- it was dusk!!! Mossies in the airport had a whale of a time. No anti mossi repellent due to liquid ban, so wait for 11/2 hour in immigration pretty nightmare- note pack some mossie repellent wipes. Transfer to hotel one of the most disorganised I have ever experienced. Noise crouds heat no-one seemingly knowing what was happenning and after a long and stressful flight not the start of the holiday I really wanted.
Transfer to the hotel in the end was interesting, a bit of off roading but we arrived and the reception went smoothly, drinks and towels well appreciated.
Quickly shown to our room.
Room clean and basic. Any problems that were mentioned throughout our stay were resolved within minutes- squeaky fan, too few towels.
View from the room- ground floor was fabulous. The only unfortunate thing was we were unprepared for the mossies. I have traveled to many countries including Africa and the Carriabean and never encountered such a problem. We were unable to sit on the balcony in case we were bitten. We had taken jungle strength repellant and avon skin so soft and I think I came off better using the latter. All of us were on anti histermines.
The beaches were beautiful, the sea warm and blue, quite idyllic but after a few days we retreated to the pool area as we became badly bitten by the sand flies.
Prior to our arrival the hotel had experienced a mud slide and I feel this must have disturbed the critters.Nothing the hotel could have done but I wish I had been better equiped.
The staff were plentiful and always on hand, service was good, grounds were beautiful. Tour of the grounds most informative- catch it if you can. Food was good especially the fish and soups.
Would I return? I would like to say yes, but not in October, too many mossies, weather was as good as we have had in the Carriabean even with a few hurricanes hanging around the area, I would also need air-conditioning, it was far too hot at night to sleep comfortably and those pesky critters- you approached the wardrobe with spray in hand!!!
By the way our rep told us that the water was alright to drink the doctor I had to get to my husband was appalled that we were drinking it. However the rest of us were not ill. One thing not mentioned on any websites was the free wi-fi in the reception and restaurant area. Excellent for keeping in touch with family members left at home.
In summary I would have liked to have awarded full marks as staff tried so hard but the mossies were a deal breaker.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank holsagain
There are newer reviews for Hawksbill by Rex Resorts

Reviewed 23 October 2010

This place is a hard one to review, the beaches are amazing quiet, selcuded and secure however the buildings are of a different era, I think Rex resorts need to remember that they are in gobal market for tourism and need to refit the rooms and buildings, and see how other places work.

While we there the was a tropical storm which caused some localised flooding in the resort, all of the staff worked to have it cleaned up by the lunch time with the bar and resturant reopened and cleaned. The Reception staff were great and arranged taxis, resturants and anything you needed.

The food was al carte, which is great for not over eating although the portions were generous, the service was good although I did feel like it was of a by gone era, eastbourne circa early 1970s, not sure how many place still serve a crepe suzette?

Would I go back? Maybe but there is a whole world out there!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LotteLondon
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I have never been to a resort that was more run down and had the worst service in the world. Everyday there was something wrong and no one seemed to care. For the most part the bad weather didnt help to begin with but hidden costs, run down rooms, broken toilets, no water pressure. Selected times to eat with the bar staff making you wait to be served. The staff rushing to clear tables to close up. My room getting flooded!!! The resort Swimming Pool (if you want to call it a pool) was filled with mud and dirt that when they went to clean it they pumped it into the ocean right beside where I was swimming?!?. Unreal!! For an all inclusive trip they have an alacart menue inwhich you have to pay so I thought I would order the lobster, so I did. It was a lobster tail with no arms or claws! When I asked why I was told that the "Lobsters there dont come with arms and claws?!? Are you kiddin g me at $30.00 US?
Long story short...I don't know or understand for the life of me how people keep going back but I have a hunch it is about to change, and soon. A resort built in the 60's...run down..tiles and framing falling apart and they charge like it were Sandals.
Truth is you get what you pay for but not at this place!
Word to the wise do NOT go based on the photos on the Internet because it is a sham!!
I will NEVER GO Back!!!! Nor should anyone...trust the ones that have been there!!!
WORST TRIP EVER! WORST RESORT EVER!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rlombard1
gmaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2010

Dear Rlombardi;

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay in October.
It was most unfortunate that we were not able to meet your expectations.
As you mentioned it was very unfortunate (we are in the rainy season)that for the most part of your stay and unfortunately you had to be relocated from your original room to a room on higher ground because of the torrential rains that we experienced island wide - which meant that a number of our facilities were affected including the sea for a short time after. This weather was as a direct result of a passing storm. Red flags were placed on the beach the following day as swimming was not recommended due to the high waves that we experienced as a result of the prevailing weather conditions at that time.

In addition to our all inclusive meals we do offer alternative Caribbean lobster, steaks etc at a surcharge. All of this is clearly explained to our guests upon check in at the hotel so as to avoid any surprises.As you will appreciate we do not have the “Maine” type lobster available our waters. The local freshly available lobsters are the Caribbean spiny lobster (Panulirus Argus)which lack the large pinching claws of the “Maine Lobster” and their meat is predominantly located in the tail. We regret if this was not explained to you prior to your meal but we were under the impression that this matter had been resolved in the resort as you were not charged accordingly.

Many of the guests at the resort during this time praised the hotel on the way the staff put things right so quickly and made good of a not so good situation.

Again we regret this was not the case with your experience.

Management

Reviewed 10 October 2010

We have just returned from having 2 weeks at the Hawksbill and it was excellent. Yes it could do with some up-dating in the rooms but the service, food, staff and overall hospitality we received was first class. The beaches and views were excellent. I would certainly recommend this hotel. We hope to return again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bishy19
Reviewed 3 October 2010

I just returned from a week at the Hawksbill by rex resorts in Antigua and for me it was the perfect island escape. The setting was idyllic.....probably the best scenery on an island known for its beautiful scenery. There were four palm lined beaches where you could walk for miles or just leave your balcony and find a convenient lounge chair.

This is by no means an "elegant" hotel, but rather a friendly and cozy retreat where all the guests gather together around the pool or at the Tamrind Tree or Sea Grape Bar to share their adventures. After a week I felt like part of a large family. Mmost of the guests are "repeat" visitors" and I will be too.

The accommodations were basic, but had everything I needed. There was a ceiling fan and my "little bungalow" was located right on the beach. I did not even bother to use the air-conditioning but opened the windows and let the sound of the crashing waves and the ocean breeze lull me to sleep."

There were several children at the resort while I was there and they had plenty of activities to keep them busy. The resort is not, however, equipped to handle the handicapped...that is, anyone who could not climb the several flights of stairs to the main dining room. The res sister resort on the island, Halcycon Cove, is a better choice for anyone in a wheelchair or otherwise restricted from climbing stairs.

There were planned activities each day....a garden tour, mixology class, cookiing class, a late night walk on the beach to search for nesting turtles, trips to St. Johns, Caribbean dancing lessons, sailing and spa treatments. Or you could lounge under a palm tree and do absolutely nothing.

The staff was incredible. From the minute you checked in and were offered a welcome cocktail, to housekeeping and restaurant service, everything was with a smile and designed to keep the guests relaxed and problem free.

The Hawksbill gets my vote of approval.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank Jasmyncan
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Stayed here at the slowest part of the season with the resort only 20% full. Sadly, hurricane Igor had just pasted offshore and the ocean was rough and very cloudy so snorkeling was out of the question and even swimming was difficult. Of course, you can't blame the resort for the weather but the pool was so tiny for a resort of this size! Anymore than 6 people and there was no where left to swim.
The grounds are nice and the view is lovely, beach are okay but no better than anywhere else I have been in Caribbean. The place does need major work, everywhere you look things are broken and/or poorly maintained. We paid about $200 a night for king size beach club room. I certainly wouldn't pay anymore than that even though the full rate for the room claimed to be $500 a night. The room was okay, it had a nice view of the ocean and was quite large. However, it was not all that clean (lots of dirt in the corners, tons of tiny ants in the bathroom) and again lots of broken fixtures including the shower head and the towel bar which had been replaced with a hunk of PVC pipe.
Food was quite good for an all inclusive but selection was limited. Drinks were poured very strong and were all local brands no premium brands in sight. The beer was awful, I couldn't even drink it and I'm really not that picky. One night we didn't order off the ala carte menu (you pay extra for this) and the food was okay but no better than what you get for free with your stay.
My biggest complaint was the staff. The rank and file staff members with a few exceptions would snear at you when you asked for a drink or barely acknowledge your existence. They seemed far more interested in talking to each other than helping guests. Twice my wife booked a massage and no even showed up at the "wellness cottage" to perform the massage. The only staff members we had any decent service from were the ones wearing manager or supervisor name tags. These folks understood customer service and were genuinely friendly, they just don't seem to be getting any buy in from the people below them.
Overall, the stay was very average but I have definitely paid less and received more at other Caribbean resorts so I have give Hawksbill a somewhat reluctant thumbs down.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RaseBanun
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Other reviewers have pretty much said it all already - this place was great! The resort is in a fantastic location (a short 20min transfer from the airport) , with 4 beaches to choose from, including the fantastically wild and deserted Eden Beach (clothing optional). We had a great welcome from Claudette who received us with cool flannels and a glass of champagne which was a nice touch! We had a slight hitch with our superior sea-view room as we were originally allocated a downstairs room with a broken toilet - but were moved to an upstairs room with no complaints. I would say that these downstairs sea-view rooms are not worth the room upgrade price, upstairs definitely was.

Whilst some reviewers have picked up on a lack of privacy in the rooms as paths go straight past the garden bungalows, with 40-60 people max in the whole resort during low season, and the resort being very spread out, surely this is a slight inconvenience worth adjusting to! Similarly the attitude and straight speaking nature of some staff could be misinterpreted as being surly - but once again it is just a case of adjusting your own rhythm and expectations.

Breakfast in the Tamarind restaurant was good, with plenty of choice available of both cold, fresh and cooked dishes providing lots of choice, and accomodating staff meant that most requests could be catered for. Lunch in the Sea Grape was informal with a grill and choice of menu options; however, after a few days, lunch can seem repetitive. Dress code for evening meal is formal some days and informal on other set days - however, formal is simply a collar for gents and trousers. The formal nights tend to coincide with a la carte service, and the informal nights are usually buffet nights. Food overall: plenty of it; a fair amount of choice; well cooked and catered for - if you're looking for michelin star quality that it isn't - home cooking it is.

As a same-sex couple we had no problems with the resort and we were very glad not to have chosen Sandals! Obviously the Caribbean is more conservative than the UK but it really wasn't an issue apart from a rather scowly passport control officer!

For a fantastically chilled week I would thoroughly recommend this place - Antigua is beautiful and as it was our first time in the Caribbean it really blew us away - definitely keen to explore more!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
#4 of 16 in St. John's
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philips

Been to Hawksbill by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!