“Great hotel in a lovely location”

Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in a lovely location”
Reviewed 25 November 2010

A very big thank you to all the staff at Hawksbill for helping to make our hoiday so special. Everlie,Donella and everyone who works there are wonderful.
We stayed in a beach front bungalow with A/C ,situated almost on the beach.Our room was cleaned each day by Anne Marie who did a fantastic job. The sound of tree frogs and the waves at night was not enough to keep us awake.
The hotel accommodation and facilities are spread out along a wide sweeping bay,there is always lots of space,it never looked crowded all the time we were there,although the hotel was full.
The highlight of our holiday was the helicopter trip to Montserrat. To see what is happening to this island first hand ,from an helicopter, is very dificult to explain. The pilot was excellent with his commentary and knowledge. A trip to remember.
A very big thank you also to the hotel for our bottle of champagne, organised by my daughter for my partner and myself for a very special occasion. We hope to return next year to complete the happy event.
We met some really nice people on this holiday which made the trip so much more enjoyable. A real gem of a place.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank rfc81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Oxford
Reviewed 23 November 2010

Hawksbill is the best three and a half star Caribbean hotel I have stayed in: four beaches, lovely gardens, surrounded by green hills, good rooms, fantastic staff, and small enough for guests to get to know one another.

I stayed in a beach club room which had two comfortable double beds, a big balcony with plenty of seats and a rack to dry clothes on, air conditioning (unlike most of the hotel's rooms), and very close to the beach. The bathrooms were dated but had large walk in showers with good water pressure.

The hotel had between 100 and 200 guests during the fortnight I was there and was the friendliest I have stayed in. The staff were fantastic: particularly Everlie Simon, Grescilda Bright and Jeremine Spencer. Everlie the assistant manager dealt with some minor problems very quickly.

The hotel is fairly remote compared with Jolly Beach and the Halcyon Rex/Sandals area, but the beaches and the surroundings are far better. The Halcyon Rex/Sandals beach reminded me of Benidorm. You can get to St John's, the capital, in 10/15 minutes.

Breakfast and evening meals are served in a hill top restaurant next to a bar that has a fantastic view across the gardens and out to sea. Evening meals alternate between buffets and a la carte. Lunch is served in the Sea Grapes Bar next to the main beach. There were plenty of options for lunch. The food was good and the service, apart from one evening, was prompt. The wine was good too, unlike some of the Caribbean hotels I've been to.

The swimming pool is small, but who needs one when you have four beaches and the Caribbean Sea to enjoy?

There's a nudist beach for those who want an overall tan, but it's not exclusively for nudists.

As is the case across Antigua, sand flies and mosquitos are a problem, so stock up on sprays, creams, tablets etc. Take some ear plugs too because the tree frogs are noisy!

Overall I'd highly recommend this hotel, and am planning to return next year (usually I never go somewhere twice).

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank MrsTennant
Norfolk
Reviewed 16 November 2010

We spent 2 weeks at this charming hotel. As soon as we arrived we felt relaxed and just knew it would suit us.

The weather wasn't brilliant as hurricane Tomas was in the area, but after a couple of days we were on the one of the 4 lovely beaches.

The hotel was very quiet during the first week, by the second it was quite busy, but there was plenty of room for everybody- no fighting over sun beds, the beaches were very quiet. No queuing for meals and you were shown to your table. The food was fantastic with a good choice, and the wine red, white and rose were very drinkable.

Lunch was quite laid back and served at the Sea Grapes, where there was a good choice either from the grill or the kitchen. The spaghetti bolognese and pizzas were very tasty.

Our room had been upgraded to a superior sea view in one of the 2 blocks. We were on the second floor and had a wonderful view of the ocean. The beds were comfortable, and the room quite large with loads of wardrobe and drawer space. The shower was very powerful with constant hot water.

The shutters did let a nice breeze in but I did miss air conditioning although my husband thought it was wonderful as we always argue about how cold it should be.

The service was very good, the staff seemed very concerned that we were happy with the food and amenities. Any problems were sorted out very quickly.

The only minus was the mosquitoes and sand flies which seemed to defy all repellents known to man. I tried Vitamin B1 patches, Incognito mosquito spray, Jungle formula, avon skin so soft , and the Off spray sold in the hotel shop which did help to certain extent

Although it probably would not suit everybody as it was so quiet but it certainly suited us ,as all we wanted was a quiet hotel to relax and unwind in, to enjoy good food and drink, and to swim and lie on an uncrowded beach without being pestered to buy souvenirs.

I do hope that Hawksbill manages to keep its unique identity in the years to come, it was such a refreshing change to find a hotel with such charm and character

3 Thank Anna5
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We had a great time at Hawksbill in late October/early November. We were there as Hurricane Tomas threatened. We thought the food was great, the staff always accommodating and everyone worked hard to make us happy. The first day we were assigned a room with two double beds but after a request we were upgraded to a honeymoon room with a king bed and beautiful view (for a nominal fee)-well worth the upgrade price! The drinks were of good quality (not from mixers). Every other night they had local entertainment which was quite good. We would definitely return!

3 Thank SCH05
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2010

From start to finish the friendly staff all worked hard to make our stay as relaxing as possible, which was much appreciated as it was my wife's retirement celebration. Four beaches to choose from, each with its own character, the main one with a restaurant and bar with food and drink and service close at hand. I learned to sail with excellent instruction. Other reviewers have said the resort looked a little tired but much was being done, and on our circumnavigation of the island [ a must ] I could see no other resort with the character and range of beaches. Hawksbill Rock [ which gives the resort its name - or is it the Hawksbill turtles who lay eggs on the far beach] is often the perch of an osprey that looks as contented as we felt. Great staff and great value.

4 Thank slithy
Amesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2010

My girlfriend and I have just returned from a 7 night stay at this hotel. We had the MOST amazing time there. Others have described it as 'shabby chic' , which I would agree with. Yes, some of the areas could do with a bit of a lick of paint - and there were real signs of painting going on whilst we were there, but somehow this just adds to the charm of the place.

The location is outstanding, with four beaches to choose from, we were very lucky that during our stay the hotel was quite quiet meaning that at times we were the only ones on our very own sandy cove.

The biggest asset of Hawksbill are the staff. Everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming. Some may seem a little cold at first, but this instantly dissolves into a warm smile once you engage them in conversation. They seem intensly proud of Antigua and being Antiguan, and who can blame them?!

The resort is very quiet, with little evening entertainment (although the steel band and one other band were excellent), and the added benefit of having no one trying to sell you anything on the beach.

We found the food and drink to be of excellent quality and of generous portions. Watch out for the strength of some of those cocktails!! The only extra we incurred on our bill was the sum of US$3.00 for a bottle of water we took to our room - not bad really!

We met up with a number of other hotel guests who had been to Hawksbill on numerous occasions including a couple from Ottawa who were on their 7th trip I believe.

The reports of the sandflies are true. My partner & I got quite badly bitten, although not as bad as some others. They seem to bite from around 3pm, so make sure you spray the anti bug stuff on you by early afternoon. The resort were trying to do some fogging, but due to a few heavy showers resulting from the remains of Tropical Storm Tomas which had been in the area, this had not been effective at keeping them under control.

Would we go back? Most definitely! One of the most relaxing holidays I've ever had. Well done Hawksbill!

4 Thank mistuk
north of england
Reviewed 8 November 2010

My review starts with our arrrival in Antigua, due to technical problems with the plane we arrived 5 hours late- it was dusk!!! Mossies in the airport had a whale of a time. No anti mossi repellent due to liquid ban, so wait for 11/2 hour in immigration pretty nightmare- note pack some mossie repellent wipes. Transfer to hotel one of the most disorganised I have ever experienced. Noise crouds heat no-one seemingly knowing what was happenning and after a long and stressful flight not the start of the holiday I really wanted.
Transfer to the hotel in the end was interesting, a bit of off roading but we arrived and the reception went smoothly, drinks and towels well appreciated.
Quickly shown to our room.
Room clean and basic. Any problems that were mentioned throughout our stay were resolved within minutes- squeaky fan, too few towels.
View from the room- ground floor was fabulous. The only unfortunate thing was we were unprepared for the mossies. I have traveled to many countries including Africa and the Carriabean and never encountered such a problem. We were unable to sit on the balcony in case we were bitten. We had taken jungle strength repellant and avon skin so soft and I think I came off better using the latter. All of us were on anti histermines.
The beaches were beautiful, the sea warm and blue, quite idyllic but after a few days we retreated to the pool area as we became badly bitten by the sand flies.
Prior to our arrival the hotel had experienced a mud slide and I feel this must have disturbed the critters.Nothing the hotel could have done but I wish I had been better equiped.
The staff were plentiful and always on hand, service was good, grounds were beautiful. Tour of the grounds most informative- catch it if you can. Food was good especially the fish and soups.
Would I return? I would like to say yes, but not in October, too many mossies, weather was as good as we have had in the Carriabean even with a few hurricanes hanging around the area, I would also need air-conditioning, it was far too hot at night to sleep comfortably and those pesky critters- you approached the wardrobe with spray in hand!!!
By the way our rep told us that the water was alright to drink the doctor I had to get to my husband was appalled that we were drinking it. However the rest of us were not ill. One thing not mentioned on any websites was the free wi-fi in the reception and restaurant area. Excellent for keeping in touch with family members left at home.
In summary I would have liked to have awarded full marks as staff tried so hard but the mossies were a deal breaker.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village

Been to Hawksbill by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!