“A PIECE OF PARADISE.”

Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 20 May 2011

Wonderful Caribbean experience - so good we keep coming back. Fantastic beach safe for kids - and I've experienced some Caribbean islands where even a strong swimmer isn't safe. Good choice of local food, fabulous friendly and helpful staff. Variety of excellent excursions and choice of island restaurants, the Coconut Grove for one - just a walk down the peaceful beech.But you must remember this is the Caribbean. Don't worry, be happy.

Heather Stirling and
Marion Goldsworthy-Higgs

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank squirrel069
There are newer reviews for Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts

Reviewed 19 May 2011

As has been stressed on many previous reviews, this is not a 5 star hotel and is a bit 'tired' in places. However, this is a great value hotel in a perfect location.

The hotel is located on a wonderful beach which is shared by the Sandals Hotel (which you will pay double the price for). In fact the beach in front of Halcyon Cove is better than the Sandals part of the beach as it is wider when the tide is in - Sandals looked quite cramped.

We had a poolside room which was a very good size and was kept very clean. The bed was comfortable and the air-conditioning worked reasonably well. There was a fair sized safe where we could easily fit our netbook plus cameras and other valuables.

The pool was a good size and was cleaned daily - only used the pool once to take part in one of the daily pool aerobic sessions as we spent most days on the beach. When we were there we had no problem securing sun beds or beach umbrellas.

The staff were all friendly and helpful and the beach cricket arranged by Fenton was hilarious. I have stayed in other Rex hotels and the staff in this one were by far the friendliest and most interractive with the guests.

The food was buffet style and there was always a reasonable selection to choose from. You would have to be a really picky eater not to find something to your liking. We also dined on the Warri Pier - which was a-la-carte. There was an extra charge for some of the dishes - for example my husband picked the lobster (which was huge) and we paid and extra £12 for this.

The grounds of the hotel were well maintained and the staff also cleaned the seaweed from the beach on a day when a lot had washed in.

If you look closely, you will see the hotel is a little tired in places, but it is excellant value and I would definately return - a great holiday

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Mpet
Reviewed 19 May 2011

My friends and I recently stayed at the Hotel Halcyon Cove, Antigua.
Unsafe area watch your back.
Room was robbed the first week we were in the hotel. The robber entered and picked up my friend's laptop and my charger. The robber was a staff member: the hand man.
Hotel and Virgin holiday kinda stated not responsible. We should have used the safe.
When you are 3 people in one room and have of loads of valuable everything wouldnt fit in there.

Simply don't take the risk, I would never recommend this hotel to anyone anymore after what happened. Since it was our second time and probably the last one!
The staff was NOT helpful at all. Let us down. We had to threat them and question the staff to get answers. In the end we found out OURSELVES after our investigation who the robber was and had him locked up!
We stayed 2weeks in that hotel. So that week when all that happened we spend most of our days at the police st, then in court. It ruined our holidays!

Bottom line: DONT STAY AT REX RESORT ANTIGUA

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank maetha
CEO-rexresorts, CEO, rex resorts at Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2011

Firstly thank you for choosing to stay at Halcyon Cove by rex resorts for the second time this year. The hotel has a great beach and friendly staff and I assume that is the reason why you returned.

I was disappointed to hear that your laptop and other items were stolen but pleased to hear that these were recovered.

In these matters we are obliged to let the police conduct investigations and I believe the manager of the hotel involved the assistant commissioner of police. I do regret if you did not feel that the hotel staff and management did not do more for you.

It is quite unusual for property to be removed from guest rooms, during visits to the resort I have left laptop, iPhone/iPod and sometimes I have mistaken left cash in my room (I did forget to use the electronic mini safe in the room) but it has never been touched. We recommend guests do not leave any valuables in their rooms and that they make use of mini-safes provided in the rooms or safety deposit boxes at reception.

In the past we have had clients report credit cards and cash has been missing and after investigations guests have found the cash/items that they had kept in safe place in the room. Obviously this was not the situation you found yourself - it is fortunate that you were able to track the computer remotely and recover it.

We have security in the hotel and we are careful when we employ staff. Yours was a rare and unusual situation and we do regret any inconvenience caused in this unusual case.

We hope you do reconsider and do come back to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 18 May 2011

We had package deal from Virgin holiday, and chose Halcyon resorts because of the location. We end up having a trip from hell!!!!, After a week of staying there my laptop, phone, and my friends charger has been stolen from our room, while we wore away. After contacting
management we received very little help. Most of the time we been ignored, and had to solve the case on our own!. Our trip consisted of constant trips to police station...After we got the guy who worked in the hotel there attitude towards us changed. Hotel has very bad security, anyone can come in in your room at any time, i would not recomend anyone to stay in this hotel or travel with Virgin, who wore even more ignorant!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank milda6613
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We had our doubts staying at another Rex Hotel after our rather shocking experience as the St. Lucian by Rex Resorts but upon our arrival we knew we were in for a treat.
Every single staff member we dealt with went out their way to make our stay more enjoyable.
Location, Food, Drinks...everything was great. Will certainly be making our way back there soon.
Only negative thing I can say about it wa that the water sports section closed far to early.
I would recommend the all inclusive package. Well worth it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank TheHandleBar
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I stayed at Halcyon Cove at the beginning of April 2011. I had never been to Antigua prior to booking my break. I read the many mixed reviews on tripadvisor and was naturally not convinced about Halcyon Cove. Having spent a week at Halcyon Cove, I highly and strongly recommend this place! :-)

Rooms:

I have travelled to many countries but this place definately stood. I travelled with a friend and we were greeted by smiles and friendly staff. We had booked a standard room but were upgraded to a room with a lounge, tv, and mini kitchen. I had read many reviews about this place in need of upgrading, but to be fair, our room was spot less and cleaned everyday. The air conditioning worked and towels replaced daily. Having visited the Halcyon Cove, I really can't understand why people are complaining about the rooms. This resort is not 5 star but is more than adequate. So the rooms were absolutely fine!

Food:

I am a vegetarian (I don’t eat fish/eggs) and the evening meals changed every night. Lunch menu was generally the same if you were vegetarian. However you could request a special meal and the chef would have it prepared for you. Breakfast was varied and plentiful.

Staff

Staff make this place! I can not say enough how wonderful staff are at Halcyon. From the moment we arrived, staff were incredibly friendly and made us feel very relaxed. I was very impressed with staff right from the start of our stay.

Something happened during our stay that altered my opinion hugely about staff. My cousin, suffered an unexpected Asthma attack in the hotel. What happened next was truly remarkable, the Manager on duty, Heleen rushed to the room where my cousin was. I had never seen someone have an asthma attack so I naturally was worried, concerned and anxious. Being so far from home, you can imagine how I must have felt. Heleen stayed with my cousin, comforting him, relaxing him, holding his hand, calming him and taking on the role of mum. She seemed to have taken control of what seemed a very frightening and hazardous situation. The ambulance took my cousin to the hospital and being strangers in a new country, Heleen came with us, she drove and met us at the hospital. Without going into further details, Heleen stayed with us at the hospital til 12.45am until my cousin was discharged. She then drove us back to the resort. I just couldn’t believe what she did for us that night. Heleen went beyond the call of duty. A truly inspirational woman who left such a huge impression on us that night, we just won’t be able to forget her.

I will certainly coming back to Antigua, there will only be one place I’ll be staying! Thank you to everyone at Halcyon Cove. See you soon. D.Sharma.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Dee76_11
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I have just got back from my first holiday in Antigua and was really happy with the island and the resort we stayed at. Its great value, it was perfectly located on its own stretch of beach, which is stunning and white and there were many beds and loungers to chose from.
The hotel was clean and the rooms were cleaned everyday with fresh towels-make sure you put them on the floor when you want them changed though otherwise they wont!
The staff wwere very friendly, smily and helpful and we were more than happy with the choice and amount of food.
Not sure why people would complain about this place and some people complained about the slow service...you are in Antigua, not London! If your looking for chilled, friendly, relaxed and great location this hotel was perfect.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua
Siboney Beach Club
Siboney Beach Club
#6 of 16 in St. John's

Been to Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!