“It was good for us”

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Orillia, Canada
“It was good for us”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed two weeks (287) and will return next year. Staff "go the extra mile". Enjoyed every meal thanks to Exec. Chef (Dale). Manager's Cocktail Party. Afternoon Tea on Warri Pier. Reserved dinner 3 times on Pier. Water aerobic - Thanks Errol. Nightly entertainment. Beautiful beach. Corner store. Canadian funds changed at reception. Taxis on site at reasonable rates.

2 Thank Pat B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed here end of January, we were limited on budget and the week we could go, so this was one of the very few options we had for the Caribean. Compared to the other places in Antigua, this was considerably cheaper.

Bad points first:
I agree with the comments the hotel is a bit dated and needs a bit of redecoration, but the room we had (335) was absolutely fine - not the plushest room I've stayed in, but it was clean, very spacious and had a wonderful balcony overlooking the pool. I don't understand the comments others have posted negatively about the condition of the buildings etc. I have done a lot of travelling and it really isn't that bad, if you had spent the money it costs to stay in the Sandels resort (over twice as much!!) then you might have a point.

My partner is vegetarian and on a few of the days there wasn't a lot of choice for vegetarians. She isn't very picky (apart from being veggie) so could always find something, but lunches would mostly be pizza and salad. Saying that the staff are so courteous that they would be willing to coook you a meal at your request, they did say this to us when we asked what options there were for veggie food.

Apart from that the only other really picky thing I can think of is the all-inclusive wrist band is a little bit harsh - I've had wrist bands before and sure they were a bit softer on the edges, just a bit of feedback to the hotel more than anything, if they get a chance to change wrist band supplier then get some with a softer plastic.

Good points:
IMHO This hotel has the best location in the whole bay. You are so close to the beach and the beach bar it is perfect. It is at the end of the Bay and with the Pier resturant you feel as though you have a private part of beach all to yourselves. (The beach is wonderful, lovely sand, not many stones at all) lovely depth of water in the swimming area.

Non-motorised water sports were included and we tried those out, all equipment was good and the guy running the hut was very helpful.

The food was brilliant, I eat absolutely everything and I was stuck for choice most dinner times. I ate way more than I should. Puddings wern't always as good and the afternoon tea was mostly cheese sandwiches, but all in all I would say the food was brilliant. Yes it could be better, but keeping it in context with the fact it was so much cheaper than anywhere else, you would be looking for faults (or generally a very misserable bugger) if you find much fault in their food. The wine was Argentian (White, Rose or Red) I tried the Red and White, both were perfectly drinkable. The beer was also absolutely fine, a little weaker than I would normaly drink, but it was all good. I tried the gin and found that slightly bitter for my taste, but didn't stop me having a few G&T's and the brandy wasn't the finest, but it was OK.
If you are very picky then you can have labelled brands, but you would pay for them.
One point, we were told if you take wine by the glass then it is all included, however if you ask for a bottle then it will be charged to your room even though it's the same wine - so just be aware of that.

NB You will have to pay for bottled water. Water from the bar is fine to drink (it is double filtered) water in your room is safe, but doesn't taste good. I bought a 1.5 litre bottle (to use for the gym) and just re-filled it at the bar every day.

This resport has a Pier resturant, which is where you can go for afternoon tea and also dinner. 2 dinner nights here were included in our package - even though it's the same menu as in the other resturant, it is lovely dining here, lovely view and subdued lighting and just really romantic. The fact they have the pier makes it nicer than the opther resorts anyhow in my opinion.

The hotel has a gym, which I used a few times, it opens at 05:00 (I didn't check that tho!) and it has airconditioning (some places I've been to before haven't) The equipment is all good stuff (Life Fitness) and in OK condition - 2 treadmills and a few stationary bikes. One point, to save electricity, they don't switch the aircon on when they open the gym up, so it's worth going there an hour before and switching it on to. I always switched it off afterwards for them, because it seemed nobody else really used the gym.

Pool wasn't very big, but it was fine and they do water aerobics in there every morning which was really funny watching the guys doing that! Entertainment wise the guys running the entertainment were great fun and super enthusiastic as you'd expect.

The hotel has a store and beauty salon and a few places like that so you can get any bits you've forgotten from the store without having to leave the resport. This can also be billed to the room which was all good.

When we checked out of the hotel, there was a bit of time before our airport transfer, we used the hospitality suite to shower and change. This place could certainly be smartened up a bit, but the fact they even had a hospitality suite was great, there were fresh towels and plenty of space for changing.

Above all else the best thing about this place was the people. The staff were so great, they couldn't do enough to help. things generally run in Antiguan time, but once you learn to relax it's all good. Service in the resturants was good, staff generally were very friendly, plenty of staff on the bar and any requests you had for veggie options or anything else they were more than happy to sort out.

All told, this was a brilliant holiday. For friendliness and value for money this was absolutely fantastic. We're seriously tempted to book again for next year.

The staff at the hotel were so helpful

Room Tip: We stayed in 335 which overlooked the pool, it was on the first floor, but given the choice of the w...
10 Thank Ian T
Toronto
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Just came back from the resort, stayed there from January 12th to 19th. I went to Halcyon Cove with mix feelings, having read all the reviews about it but at the end I had one of the best vacations ever. The check in was fast, initially I was given a room around the pool but after requesting another room (I wanted more quiet place), I was offered room 392, next to the reception. Thank You Yvette for that and for all other favors you did to me! The food was very delicious (kudos to the chef) and there was always something for everyone - fish,
chicken,vegetables,pork,soups,desserts,etc.T staff was very friendly and helpful (thank you Allick, thank you pool aerobic team), they did their best to entertain us,The rooms were dated but clean, there was a gym opened all the time and a small market, where you can buy local souvenirs, beach towels, clothes.The beach was one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen and I travel a lot. There was security 24h in the resort and on the beach, I felt there very secure which was very important for me since I was solo. I met great friends there (Karen,Tom,Rose, Cecile,Angie, Susan, I miss you). I am planning to come back at the beginning of April, hopefully there will be nice promotion as well :) Once again, thank you Halcyon staff for all your hard work and for entertaining us. Hope to see you soon again :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank SoloTraveler7Toronto
Glasgow
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This was our second visit in just over a year to Halcyon Cove and once again we had such a fantastic time. Yes the hotel is rather dated but it is very clean. The staff, in my opinion, are second to none and undoubtedly the most courteous and helpful I have expierenced in the 20 odd counties I have visited. Food was very good and Chef Dale was always available and dining at Warri Pier was as usual superb. If your looking for 5 Star accommodation and all the frills that go with it then go up the beach to Sandals and pay 5 times as much. If your looking for a relaxed holiday on a perfect beach with excellent service the Halycon Cove is for you. We would like to say a very big thank you to all the staff once again and we will see you all again in November.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Gary B
England
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I have travelled a lot but never stayed anywhere as bad as this, for the following reasons -

1. Condition of buildings - very poor and worn down. Honestly the resort needs knocking down and rebuilding. I have never asked to move rooms anywhere before, but I had to here as it was shocking. Even when I was given a decent room (after wasting a day waiting for the management to sort themselves out), the noise from the 'entertainment' kept me awake.

2. Cleanliness - disgusting. One of the main reasons I asked to switch rooms was because the bathroom hadn't been cleaned at all and there was BROWN WATER coming from the taps and shower. I also found long hairs on the bed.

3. Attitude of staff - At best they were indifferent, at worst outright rude. There were one or two who made an effort to smile and be welcoming, but their general approach was awful. The manager herself (who gave me a new room) wasn't apologetic at all about the disgusting state of the first room, and just stared at me until I explained, politely, that I would like a room without hairs on the linen and brown water from the taps.

4. Food - Mixed. Varied from canteen slop to some nice breakfasts.

The only redeeming feature of this hotel is its location - right next to the Sandals beach. As all beaches in Antigua are public, you are within your rights to walk next door and use their beach, or go further up to the more pleasant and less packed Runaways Cove.

Room Tip: -Be assertive and ask for a better room if (or rather when) you get put in a dirty, worn out one. Br...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sunseeker27UK

Travellers are raving about these St. John's hotels

London

Stayed December 2013

Positives:
Friendly staff throughout the resort - the best part about the visit
large clean rooms with balcony/outdoor terrace space (poolside room)
cheap all inclusive price for the week
pool and beach areas lovely and really relaxing
free wifi, but not always good connectivity

Not so positives:
no hot water for 3 of the 5 days, despite daily complaints about cold showers
choices for the breakfast and dinner everyday was limited and quite boring
poolside rooms can hear the loud entertainment in the evenings until about 11pm
bottled water not included in the all inclusive and no stores nearby to stock up outside hotel

Overall, the resort has great potential but seems like it needs some money put into it to bring it up to standard - decorating, painting, etc - it all looked a bit shabby.

I would not stay here again though despite the friendly staff. Although it was incredibly cheap for a week all inclusive.....

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are great for getting to pool and beach but noisy in the evenings with the entertainm...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank adrian h
Owen Sound, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Nice quiet spot for a relaxing vacation. We really enjoyed our stay on the island. Great people.

The staff at Halcyon was amazing, they work as a team, they chipped in everywhere. Food was great and Chef Dale did his best to please the masses. Bar staff made us their special drinks for us to try. Great smiles greeted us all day.........( Devon for manager)
Thank for the book...B'day gift.

Our room was nice and clean always. The beach was steps away from our suite and we were soothed by the ocean waves nightly.

Vendors on the beach were great ambassador for Antigua. We were given a lot of insight about the island. Took the local bus to St. Johns and felt very safe. The harbour area should be more welcoming for all the cruises that arrive there. We will return not only to Halcyon but to other parts of the island.

Room Tip: Suite with ocean view was large and airy.
3 Thank patricia l
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua
St. James's Club & Villas

Been to Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!