The Rex is a 3 star hotel and for that it is very good value. We stayed there for 3 weeks from January 20th to February 11th and had a great time. We had a garden room which was fine, very spacious and newly painted. The a/c was a little ropey (leaked all over the balcony) but we did not really need it as it was cool at night with the balcony door open although mossie screen was not a very good fit. All rooms are near the beach which is just as well as you had to get up early to put your towel on a lounger with shade (I hate that) which was a pain but necessary when the hotel is full which it was. Swimming was great and you could have a lovely walk down to the far end of DIckenson BaY,
Service was very hit and miss and one got the impression that they couldn't really cope with a full hotel. Better management at busy times would have helped. However, the staff (with the exception of the some of the junior chefs) were always very friendly and helpful, Food was very good and I did not find it too repetive as others have suggested. Some shockingly greedy customers though! Eating on the Pier was a nice treat but you need to book this at the beginning of your stay.
There were far more plus points than negative - the hotel had seen better days and could be fabulous with a lot of money spent on it, but then you would be paying fabulous prices. As one of the previous reviewers said, your just have to enjoy the little quirks! Some of the entertainment was excellent. I refer to the amazing Fireman!
TIP: Catch the local bus to St Johns. Take the road just past Sneaky Petes, until it meets the main road. Wait until a mini bus with BUS on the number plate arrives. Cost is a fraction of the taxi fare and is a great way to meet the locals. Also had a lovely meal at the Coconut Grove restaurant down the far end of the beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoying a pristine picture postcard beach front location, the Halcyon Cove by rex resorts offers the very essence of a perfect Caribbean setting. Beautiful glistening waters gently lap at the palm-fringed white sands of Dickenson Bay where guests can recline beneath the palm-frond parasols or exert some energy on a variety of water sports. International buffet breakfast and dinner cuisine is served at the Arawak Terrace restaurant or treat yourself at the Warri Pier a-la-carte restaurant featuring speciality grills and lobster in its unique setting over the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with West Indies, Expedia, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Holiday Gems, Travelbag, Booking.com, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Halcyon Cove By Rex Hotel St. John`s
- Halcyon Cove Antigua
- Halcyon Cove By Rex Resorts Antigua/Saint John Parish
- Rex Halcyon Cove Resort
- Rex Halcyon Antigua