“this was and execllent trip”

Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Everything was excellent the staff was friendly and helpful, the food was great especially at the Warry Prier, the rooms were spacious and clean, the beach was relaxing. I would recommend this hotel to anyone anytime.

Room Tip: pool side rooms are great
2  Thank kschana
Write a ReviewReviews (2,178)

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Visiting the Rex Halcyon Cove in Dickinsons Bay Antigua twice a year has become a habit! The most friendly and helpful staff, wonderful food, super setting on own beach. Bearing in mind it's the Caribbean with a relaxed ambience - that's why we go there - on each visit the hotel and grounds have been refurbished and my room is always spotless and any problems quickly rectified if they happen. Please don't visit this resort if you're expecting Bali sophistication or Monaco luxury, just 'don't worry, be happy' or please go somewhere else.
Looking forward to returning in November. As a matter of interest my colleague and I have been in the travel and aviation industry for 30 years, my colleague having owned a travel agency in Docklands and one in Tokyo (been everywhere man) - and we have chosen this resort and this hotel.
H and Twig
U.K.

Room Tip: We love poolside rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank squirrel069
Reviewed 28 May 2014

fortunately we only stayed at this property for a few hours. it is far below minimal expectations. food is sub-par, you would be better off sleeping at Beach - if you want any worth for your hard earned money, sorry do not select this resort. The staff is great but property needs a major overhaul. fortunately the Lobby staff was so professional and courteous and sweet. really helped us relocate under the circumstances - Be Happy you have CHEROBIN - she's the BEST.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank T M
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have recently returned from a 10 night stay in this hotel. We booked with Virgin in store and this hotel was recommended to us by the staff there! We paid to upgrade our room and we were really looking forward to some luxury. How wrong we were - the room was basic to the point of being shabby, the grounds were shabby we had 3 days with no hot water (and the water was often brown) there was no atmosphere in the hotel with only about 20 guests- there was no entertainment at all during the day and hardly any at night - however the staff were friendly and helpful and also the manager was friendly and polite. We booked a lobster and champagne cruise but the rep messed up and they forgot to collect us! I couldn't wait to come home . I was also very disappointed with Virgin cabin crew - we had to divert and land in Bermuda for an unforeseen emergency (which obviously couldn't be helped) and this added an additional 5 hours on to our journey but we weren't offered any additional food or drink! All in all what was meant to be a "special" holiday was a big disappointment.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Having stayed at Rex Resorts before in St Lucia we were extremely disappointed by Antigua. The hotel is dreadful and needs an awful lot of money spending on it. Whilst the rooms were clean and basic, the bathroom needed a major overhaul, basin cracked inside and out, mismatched tiling, toilet loose. The majority of the sunbeds on the beach were broken and unusable, broken gates onto the beach were left laying around and the beach was not cleaned of seaweed or debris from the guests. Although A la Carte is offered as an option in the brochure this was not available until we complained and it was near impossible to get a drink at the bar near the beach in the evening, the staff kept pushing the guests to the lobby bar which is right next to the vehicle drop off point so drinks came with exhaust fumes! And why the hotel restaurant(!) looks over the car park and is not positioned to get the sea view is beyond us. The staff with the odd exception were very pleasant, friendly and helpful but it appeared that not enough of them were available on shift.

1  Thank June M
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The place has a great location. Food and drinks was up to standard. Rooms and resort was clean. Friendly staff. The General Manager is a really
Nice person that you can meet and discuss things with. Friendly and customer service was the best.

Room Tip: Very nice place
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stephen_MDM
GMrexresorts, General Manager at Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thank you for your kind review and it was a pleasure of serving you. Looking forward to your return visit in the near future at Halcyon Cove.
Best Regards.
N. Chahwan

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Apologies for the long review but I think people ought to know all the details.
We had to stay in Antigua on our way home from Dominican republic due to availability on the flight, so we needed to find a safe and clean hotel for the night.
We were recommended the Halcyon cove by the airport staff so thought it would be fine to stay here with my family (my husband, 5 year old child and my mother)
How wrong I was!!!

I'll start with the small issues

1. Rude receptionist wouldn't put us in a room together as said that it wasn't what we asked for when airline had rang ahead, she then looked blankly when I asked if it was possible, we were so tired I said I would just take the 2 they had prepared. (Rooms they gave us were quite far apart from each other and we were told there was nothing close together, we will find out later this was not the case)
They charged us 400 US dollars which is extortionate for such a poor quality hotel.

2. Food. We arrived late so requested they make us a selection of sandwiches as restaurant was closed. We received 'plastic' cheese sandwiches (like the cheap individual wrapped cheese slice you would put on a burger). Bread was dry and curled up like they had been made a very long time. Basically inedible.

3. Drinks. We arrived at 10pm and were told the bar would be open until 12. I went over for drinks at 11:15 and it was all packed away. The barkeep actually tutted at me when I asked for drinks, I asked what the problem was to be told "well there was no one here so I want to close". He did serve me but looked less than impressed that I had disturbed him. Also, bottled water is chargeable!! This is supposed to be an all inclusive resort.

4. Suspected prowler. As I say, it was late when we arrived, I noticed a man dressed in dark clothes lying very still on a lounger in the grounds. He saw me looking so got up quickly and went behind the buildings. Could of been security but didn't look like he had a uniform on so it was very unnerving.

5. There were 2 gates to the beach (which is public), both were smashed of their hinges, did not feel very secure at all. (I noticed this while wandering the grounds at 6am)

Now for the horrendous!!

Initially we all went into 1 room (room 234) it was grubby looking, marks on bedding and walls but we thought it would do for a night.
I settled my daughter in this room with my husband then my mother and I went to the other room (220)
Again it was grubby but it was also very smelly, like it had been empty for a while. We watched TV until we couldn't stay awake then got into bed and the horror begins.
I was woken at 2am by my hysterical mother as the bed and both of us were covered in BED BUGS. Loads of them. My mother had bites all down her arm and we were itching like crazy. When we killed a few of them there was blood all over the bed, our blood from where they had been feasting, there were even drops of blood on my phone.
I rang reception repeatedly but no answer so we went to the other room. Tried again to ring reception with no joy so at 2:30am I had to walk up (bearing in mind the person I had seen lurking around made that very unpleasant)
The "night manager" was nowhere to be seen but a large man in a leather jacket appeared and told me to go back and use the phone. I refused due to no answers so leather jacket man started banging on the reception door. After a few attempts the "night manager" appeared, clearly he had been asleep. I was very upset and explained what had happened, he just pushed a key to me saying "move to here, I will look at the other room" no apology or concern at all, in fact he didn't even look surprised.
He had given me the key for 235 (next door to my other room, so much for there being none close together!)
My husband inspected my daughters bed and thankfully it was ok. I didn't want to go near it though in case there were bugs on my clothes so my mother and I stayed in the new room.
New room had a flimsy door with no security chain. There were also flower petals scattered all over the bed but they were shrivelled and black like they had been there for weeks. I tried to check the bed but we were so upset and felt horribly itchy that we just sat in chairs waiting for it to get light so we could go and sit outside. We sat on a wall from 5:30am.
Went back to reception at 7, spoke to the night manager who said he had been down and seen the bugs (he called them fleas but i know they were big, full of blood and didn't jump, they were definitely bed bugs). He said there was no one able to help until 8am.

At 8 we were seen by the manager who looked thoroughly embarrassed, he and the reception girl apologised to us. At first he offered 50% discount but then refunded the full amount. We left immediately and checked into another hotel.

All in all this is hands down the worst resort I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: May 2014
11  Thank lisa_elli2000
GMrexresorts, General Manager at Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Our apologies for what took place.

You arrived at 10 pm to check in for one night.
We apologize for not allocating the rooms close to each other as requested.

The restaurant is open from 1900h- 2130h and therefore we arranged some cheese sandwiches to be delivered to your room by the evening manager.

The bar is open until 2400h and you came to the bar at 2340h, during that time the bartender was in preparation of closing but did serve four drinks as requested.

Our security guard has confirmed that it was he that was seen on the sun lounger and that there was no prowler.

The two gates to the beach are currently under repair.

As you can imagine, we have to investigate any claims of infestation and can confirm that the pest control company has reported no evidence of bed bugs. It has been suggested that sand flies were the possible cause of the incident.

The following morning, we met in my office to express your experiences since your arrival at the hotel late the previous evening.

Upon hearing of your dissatisfaction, we arranged a full refund of the total amount paid for both rooms.

We hope that this immediate action demonstrates our good faith and regret that your short stay with us caused so many issues.

Looking forward to your next visit in the near future to extent our hospitality and courtesies that Halcyon Cove is famous for.

Best Regards

Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
#7 of 16 in St. John's
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua

Been to Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!