beach - good - snorkelling nil ! water very cloudy all week.
beach vendors - very friendly, but would leave you alone with a quick no thankyou.they didn't pester you.
food - adequate - but prepare for long waits. three quarters of an hour in a line waiting for a burger ! that's after waiting to collect a ' dinner ticket ' even though your wearing an all inclusive bracelet.
breakfast - service slow. fruit juice - not from fresh fruit. only got fresh pineapple once to eat in a week.
lady, in charge of arawak restaurant, very strict, she reminded me of a headmistress, she took no nonsense, you began to love her really ! you had to sit where you were put and when she told you you could.
managers cocktail party - more queues !
my husband did in fact complain, about the slow service, bartenders - especially some of the women, just didn't want to be there. and things did pick up a little after that. i did not blame the cooks - the management are to blame, for trying to run the place with so little staff.
maid service - well, hit and miss. she didn't seem to care for cleaning out the coffee maker, i ended up doing that myself. and when i visited my sisters room, she hadn't yet found out her coffee machine, when i did find it - there was an old coffee bag in it, from the last occupant !
toiletries were not replaced, and we had to go up to reception to get more coffee.
towels were kept quite low as well.
as for beach towels, well, it was our third day, when my sister tracked down the towel man, even though there were set times for the towel hut to be open, no-one was there.it became quite a joke, trying to find him !
but, three star, is about right. the place does need a lot of work done. our room was a beachfront, the lounge lovely, but the bedroom was very dark, and the bathroom the same.all needed refurbishment.
the warri pier is the best place to eat, and we ate their twice. the barbudian lobster and the lamb chops were worth the supplement.and we watched big fish feeding in the water.
trips out -
the excellence catamaran :-
barbuda - go - i wasn't seasick - but it was very very rough. but it was worth it. if you can buy the cd, the music that accompanies your trip - that was therapy for me, kept my mind off the rough water !
and the dvd, great to look back on. still couldn't snorkel though, cloudy again.
mystic catamaran - from the harbour - around a lot of the coast, snorkelling at cades reef - clearer water - beach break as well. music, lunch included.and drinks.
safari - 4 x 4 over some rainforest, lunch at a disused sugar mill, kayak in mangroves,
lunch, rapid boat ride over to rabbit island and then on to great bird island, snorkelling here, my husband said it was better than cades reef.
all crew on all trips, we all friendly, and made the trips fun.
remember, to tell reception when you want to go to the hawksbill hotel, you will have to pay for taxi, but you can eat and drink, and use their facilities also.
we noticed the difference then, between 3 and 4 star. service was better, cocktails were better also.
also, the seawater was clearer. we told the bar staff their pina coladas were better than the halycyon, she said she'd pop over and give them a lesson !
if you want a cheap holiday in the caribbean, it was worth it, - you get what you pay for.
i must say virgin flights are sliding - they run out of food on the way, was left with a horrible pasta dish, also offer you drinks less often. no cheese and biscuits either.
also the choice of magazines before we got on was not brilliant as it was.
return flight, very bumpy, didn't dare have coffee ! entertainment didn't offer much either.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoying a pristine picture postcard beach front location, the Halcyon Cove by rex resorts offers the very essence of a perfect Caribbean setting. Beautiful glistening waters gently lap at the palm-fringed white sands of Dickenson Bay where guests can recline beneath the palm-frond parasols or exert some energy on a variety of water sports. International buffet breakfast and dinner cuisine is served at the Arawak Terrace restaurant or treat yourself at the Warri Pier a-la-carte restaurant featuring speciality grills and lobster in its unique setting over the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with West Indies, Southall Travel, Travelbag, TravelUp, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Halcyon Cove By Rex Hotel St. John`s
- Halcyon Cove Antigua
- Halcyon Cove By Rex Resorts Antigua/Saint John Parish
- Rex Halcyon Cove Resort
- Rex Halcyon Antigua