“Beautiful beach resort”

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
US Virgin Islands
“Beautiful beach resort”
Reviewed 26 August 2007

I had a wonderful experience at the Halcyon. The rooms were, clean and larger than most, with a balcony, closet safe, tub/shower, TV with cable, and excellent air conditioning. The floors, in the caribbean tradition are ceramic tile. The resort was on beautiful Dickinson Bay, right next door to the very expensive Sandles. So you get to use the same beautiful beach. There are several other hotels and and restaurants on this beach. But plenty of room for all. I prefered not to do the all inclusive because I wanted to sample other restaurants. If you do this be sure ot check out the Coconut Grove, about a 10 minute beach walk form Halcyon. I had my best dinner there of fresh tuna so deliciously seasoned I could have licked the plate. Another beach resaturant called the Beach is also very nice.

It is true the fixtures in the bathroom were a littel out of date, but worked just fine and I had PLENTY of hot water. A few years ago I stayed at the Rex, Hawksbill resort in Antigua. This hotel is rated 4 star while Halcyon was only 2 1/2. I can't figure this out as I think the Halcyon was much much nicer and not so remote, and better beach. Really this hotel should be rated higher then 2 1/2 stars.

Several evenings while I was there the hotel had a steel pan band in an area near the pool. Had a beach bar and plenty of room for dancing. The staff was exceptionally friendly and ready to help with any needs. They can even exchange US dollars for Eastern Caribbean at about the same rate as banks. When I was there the rate was one US =$2.67 EC, But you really can get by just fine using US. Almost everything uses both prices, including the taxi drivers. These are the nicest taxi drivers I've ever met. One that took me to town, even met me inside the grocery store and hleped carry the groceries out. One thing beware. There is a $20 departure tax that EVERYONE must pay before you board your plane leaving, so be sure you save enough cash to cover this as they don't take checks or credit cards!

I was a singel woman traveler in Antigua for a meeting. I felt very save and even walked Dickinson Beach after dark with some other ladies, getting to restaurants for dinner.
This beach, like most of the Caribbean are the best for swimming. Clean, clear, warm and beautifully blue!

• Liked — Location on Dickinson Bay Beach, and large room
  • Disliked — Had to purchase an internet card to connect from room.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
12 Thank caribseabreeze

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
Shelby, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 August 2007

We stayed at the Halcyon Cove for our honeymoon Aug. 12-17 ( Didn't get back into the states until the 19th b/c of Hurricane Dean, which pretty much ruined everything and cost us more to get home than our whole stay, but I will not base my hotel review on the weather of course).
We arrived around 9 pm or so. We had booked a standard room and they upgraded us to a beautiful beachfront suite! While we waited for someone to show us our room, we sipped on complimentary rum punch (pretty good too). After getting settled in our room, we noticed the air conditioning was not getting cold at all so I called the front desk and they said they would get someone on it. Well about 45 minutes went by ( we are miserable, its hotter in the room than outside) so we walked up to the front desk and they said the maintenance guy was on his way. Finally he arrived after going to the desk once more. He came up to the room for about 2 minutes, called down to the front desk and told them they had to move us. so FINALLY we get to a room (same type of suite) and we turn the air up high as it would go. Worked fine and we were perfectly happy.

The view from the room the next morning was just beautiful! Couldn't ask for a better location! The manager also sent up a bottle of wine and a fruit plate since we were on our honeymoon. Such a nice thing to do...we were already happy with such a nice room upgrade! The only thing really that was frustrating was the shower. There was no water pressure at all...it just kinda trickled out.. When I washed my hair I had to just put my head under the faucet in the tub, otherwise it would have taken forever just to wet my hair. The king size bed was wonderful! So comfortable with crisp white sheets and white down comforter. Also loved that there was satellite tv with lots of channels.

We did not do the all inclusive plan. Just be warned, food is very expensive! We ate at the Arawak Terrace and it was like $64 for the two of us to eat dinner buffet. But, it is really good food! I think its the same menu every night though. We ate there only once.

Tip: walk outside of resort through the gate entrance, take a left up the hill and there is a nice pizza place called Pari's Pizza. It was about $30 for a large pizza and 2 cokes. Still expensive, but we ended up eating there twice during the week.

Also ate at the Coconut Grove restaurant just down the beach past Sandals. Good food, but really expensive! About $75 for two entrees and two glasses of wine.

All restaurants are open air so wear something nice but cool or you will burn up!

Can't say much about the pool, didn't go swimming at all. The ocean was our pool!

The beach vendors were somewhat annoying I have to say. But we did purchase a basket made of palm that was made right before our eyes... Well worth it and the man was very nice! I thought the guy selling conch shells was too pushy and not very nice! He even got into an argument with a vendor selling jewelry b/c the man came up to me while he was still trying to sell (even though I had already told him no thank you!) We finally got up and went back to our room...

Highly recommend the circumnavigation tour of the island! $100 a person, but its all day and you get lunch. Theres also an open bar on the boat, but we just had fruit juice and coke. You also get to snorkel! So much fun! The front desk will book it for you.

It was an unforgettable trip, would have been better if we would have gotten to take the flight we paid for instead of having to purchase first class tickets home about 2 days later (All flights were booked, it was a nightmare). But thats what we get for going there during hurricane season!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Shower
13 Thank alane19
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 August 2007

From the first night we were harrased by the locals on the beach to buy drugs. There were stray dogs that the drug dealers tought to follow you. ( i dont know whether it was to intimidate you or to track you). I forgot to mention the drug dealer dont just sell drugs they also sell everything from t shirts to you excursions. So when I booked my excusrtion with a different person a certain "dealer" talked to his boy that worked in the hotel and found out my room number. Do nto get me wrong the island is beautiful, but that is the only thing it has going or itself. Do yourself a favor and go to Aruba. In Aruba everybody is employed so you dont get harrased.

Stayed August 2004
4 Thank Americantravler

Travellers are raving about these St. John's hotels

Farnborough
Reviewed 19 August 2007

The Halcyon Cove is situated in a quiet location with a beautiful sandy beach, calm sea and a very relaxed laid back atmosphere. We had an absolutely brilliant time there and apart from the beginning of Hurricane Dean would have loved to stay longer!

On arrival our room was not ready and communication was not very forth coming as to how long it would be, but once that little problem was sorted, we were shown to our room, which was large, very clean and comfortable and had a superb view of the sea and sunset. I agree with other reviews that the bathroom needed abit of updating and if you worry about how your hair looks, then take your own hair dryer because ours was pretty useless. Our room had a very effective air conditioning unit and the towels and bed linen were changed as you'd expect.

It did become abit of a joke with everyone, about changing over your beach towels.... there never seemed to be enough....that was WHEN the hut was open, but a quick trip to reception sorted out the problem for us.

We would recommend the Jeep safari with speed boats out to the canoes and snorkelling, we has a great day out and the Guys that run it are great fun. Also the Eco Boat trip with Eli Fuller and his team, another brilliant day out, both ot these trips can be booked direct. We were also lucky enough to be there for the carnival and that was great too with such a fantastic atmosphere. Don't be worried at all about travelling around, everyone was so friendly we didn't feel unsettled at all, at any time. If you do hire a car, however, just be aware that the roads are really pot holey!

We were told to take Eastern Carribean Dollars and that was fine, although you will find most things priced in U.S. Dollars.

The boat house doesn't have a tremendous amount of boats and be aware that if you get into difficulty then you may be charged to be rescued!!!!

The food suited us fine, a good variety for breakfast, eggs cooked by Orlan a real must, also you can eat between 6.30 and 10.30am so no pressure to get up too early! Lunch was BBQ great chef, serving various salads and pasta, between 12.30 and 14.45pm and dinner included a good variety of dishes and puddings....all meals were self service, unless you went to the Warri Pier which we would highly recommend.

Over all, the Halcyon gave us a great, relaxing holiday, everyone was so laid back and friendly...so much so that our new expression is " Is that an English 5 minutes or an Antiguan 5 minutes?" The world is a big place, but we wouldn't hesitate in going back if we got the chance.

• Liked — the great views of the ocean and sunset
  • Disliked — the bathroom was abit dated
6 Thank croyde79
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 19 August 2007

Sorry it has taken so long to leave this and i can only hope if you booked this holiday it has now improved. We have been in the throws of getting compensation from firstchoice!

Well its difficullt to know where to start! After a long flight we had a TWO hr wait in the lobby, very sweety and hot, with our little one yr old. After this we where taken to our room, just happy that we where getting sorted we hoped this was not a sign of things to come.... we are not negative people looking for all the bad points.

The room on arrival was still being cleaned. The following day our son put his foot through the rotten wooden floor of the wardrobe! Thankfully it was so rotten he did not get caused too much damage.

This problem was not fixedfor 4 days dispite asking for it to be boarded as we had cockroaches coming up through the hole.

Staff where extreamly rude to myself and partner and many other guests in the hotel, walking off when serving and generally ignoring you. Wether this was due to them being very understaffed i do not know. The lady who seved breakfast on the ppeir was very nice and always had a smile! The managment are very nice but unfortunatly do not seem to get things done which does not help you on your once in a life time holiday!

The problems continued and you would get board of listening but to sum it up tables where lacking in numbers, lighting at the pool resturant where bad and the no. of highchairs to babies was not good! The icing on the cake was when we sat next to the pool resturant in the evening and there was cockraohes everywhere, the bar and food area was not even wiped down after we had seen them all over it! A court case waiting to happen.... which the managment where informed about and aaware of! Not what you want to worry about with a small child.

On the positive the beach was stunning and beautiful. The boat trip is an absolute must it was the best day we had. We took the smaller boat not the wadili \cats as it was slightly less packed. They put a brilliant day on!!!! Worth every penny. The men on the beach are also very friendly and genuine!

Please be aware if booking with first choice that the week we got back i went and got a brouchere and the star rating was now a 4star newly refurdished! be carful!

Im sad that our once in a life time ho.liday was ruined by the hotel and staff, i did not realise how much of a negative effect this could have on your experience. Had this been better the holiday would have been perfect as the location was amazing!

Stayed May 2007
4 Thank sassyangel
massachusetts
Reviewed 17 August 2007

My Husband and I arrived in Antigua for 10 fantastic days, we felt like we were in Paradise! The Rex Halycon Cove was certainly everything we expected and more the staff were exceptionally wonderful, the food was great especially the Warri Pier the counch fritters were our favorite. We received excellent service from our waitress Caselene. If you need a taxi to take a tour we highly recommend Lake, he was great! He is located right on the Resort. The lunch and dinner buffets were wonderful a great assortment of food. If you see the hat man on the beach besure to buy one of his beautiful baskets. We will defianately return to the Rex Halycon Cove.We only wish our vacation didn't have to end!

• Liked — Comfort and Service
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
7 Thank roses_7
Broadstairs, Kent, UK
Reviewed 14 August 2007

My husband and I returned with our children (aged 2 & 10) to Dickenson Bay after spending a very memorable day here during our honeymoon carribbean cruise in 2004.

We booked a Standard Room, RO Basis. We were Upgraded to Superior Pool Room. This room was lovely although it did not have enough beds for our family. Reception was very helpful and took us along to view our new room before moving us in. Our two weeks was spent in a very spacious oceanfront apt, a stones throw away from the waters edge (room 306). Not the most modern apt but the view was heaven!!

Most people seemed to be AI. The stafff at this hotel were so laid back that most of the time they just could not be bothered to charge us for our drinks. I did try but they always said not to worry. Who needs AI???

Restaurant is very very hot so I feel sorry for any person feeling that they have to eat there twice a day. Breakfast was lovely but we were always so hot and flustered. The Coconut Grove - "A room with a View" as described by the Times newspaper (UK)was a much preffered option for breakfast and dinner.

The Beach, The Lobster Shack and the restaraunt at Tradwinds were really lovely so it seems such a shame to go AI and miss out on all this lovely places with idyllic settings.

We met so many lovely people here. The staff and local people were so friendly. They always had time for everybody, especially the kids, you really could not pick a better place than Antigua for your holiday. Our children had a holiday of a lifetime. Jake (10)and Mackenzie (2) would like to say "Respect" to everybody that they met in Antigua.

Book now - the Halcyon Cove is brilliant!!!!

• Liked — Our Oceanfront apartment
  • Disliked — Needs updating
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,683 reviews
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua
St. James's Club & Villas

Been to Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!