I had a wonderful experience at the Halcyon. The rooms were, clean and larger than most, with a balcony, closet safe, tub/shower, TV with cable, and excellent air conditioning. The floors, in the caribbean tradition are ceramic tile. The resort was on beautiful Dickinson Bay, right next door to the very expensive Sandles. So you get to use the same beautiful beach. There are several other hotels and and restaurants on this beach. But plenty of room for all. I prefered not to do the all inclusive because I wanted to sample other restaurants. If you do this be sure ot check out the Coconut Grove, about a 10 minute beach walk form Halcyon. I had my best dinner there of fresh tuna so deliciously seasoned I could have licked the plate. Another beach resaturant called the Beach is also very nice.
It is true the fixtures in the bathroom were a littel out of date, but worked just fine and I had PLENTY of hot water. A few years ago I stayed at the Rex, Hawksbill resort in Antigua. This hotel is rated 4 star while Halcyon was only 2 1/2. I can't figure this out as I think the Halcyon was much much nicer and not so remote, and better beach. Really this hotel should be rated higher then 2 1/2 stars.
Several evenings while I was there the hotel had a steel pan band in an area near the pool. Had a beach bar and plenty of room for dancing. The staff was exceptionally friendly and ready to help with any needs. They can even exchange US dollars for Eastern Caribbean at about the same rate as banks. When I was there the rate was one US =$2.67 EC, But you really can get by just fine using US. Almost everything uses both prices, including the taxi drivers. These are the nicest taxi drivers I've ever met. One that took me to town, even met me inside the grocery store and hleped carry the groceries out. One thing beware. There is a $20 departure tax that EVERYONE must pay before you board your plane leaving, so be sure you save enough cash to cover this as they don't take checks or credit cards!
I was a singel woman traveler in Antigua for a meeting. I felt very save and even walked Dickinson Beach after dark with some other ladies, getting to restaurants for dinner.
This beach, like most of the Caribbean are the best for swimming. Clean, clear, warm and beautifully blue!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoying a pristine picture postcard beach front location, the Halcyon Cove by rex resorts offers the very essence of a perfect Caribbean setting. Beautiful glistening waters gently lap at the palm-fringed white sands of Dickenson Bay where guests can recline beneath the palm-frond parasols or exert some energy on a variety of water sports. International buffet breakfast and dinner cuisine is served at the Arawak Terrace restaurant or treat yourself at the Warri Pier a-la-carte restaurant featuring speciality grills and lobster in its unique setting over the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, West Indies, Travelbag, TravelUp, Priceline, Southall Travel, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Hotel.de, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Halcyon Cove By Rex Hotel St. John`s
- Halcyon Cove Antigua
- Halcyon Cove By Rex Resorts Antigua/Saint John Parish
- Rex Halcyon Cove Resort
- Rex Halcyon Antigua