“Not a bad resort but we expected better service for the money”

Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Smyrna, Tennessee
“Not a bad resort but we expected better service for the money”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife and I spent 8 days at Sandals Grande Antigua less than a month ago. We also got married on the beach there and it was very beautiful. Let me start by saying that we were overall pleased with the resort but there were a few complaints. First it took an hr just to check in and when you've been traveling all day you just want to get to your room. Also the beaches are public and filled with vendors constantly trying to sell you things. Service is good except if you ask for anything extra and then almost every waiter seems very annoyed. If you want a beach that doesn't have vendors on it simply walk to the left on the beach for a half mile past all the other resorts and you'll be on a secluded beach with no hotels and very few people. Food is good especially the buffet for New Years Eve. Good resort but after a few days I got bored and decided to explore the island which I highly recommend. Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: There really isn't a bad room on the resort but if you want to be closer to everything I would s...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ScottyT55343
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for your review, Scotty.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Sandals Grande Antigua and had a lovely time at the New Year celebrations. We understand that there were a few small issues that occurred and we thank you for bringing them to our attention. We are constantly seeking to better the services we provide our guests and your feedback is crucial to this process. I will be notifying the appropriate departments of your remarks and they will make the necessary adjustments.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future for an even better vacation experience!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,766)
  • Polish first
Mississauga
Reviewed 24 January 2014

In 35 years of travelling to the Caribbean, our vacation at Sandals Grande Antigua ranks as one of our best. Our stay was Dec. 19 - 26. We loved the arrival of Santa on the beach in a carriage on Christmas Day. There was a gift bag for every guest - which was a lovely touch!

The property has spectacular gardens that are lush, well maintained and very clean. Our room, 212 was great and we will request it when we return next year. It had a great location in the Caribbean Grove side, with an ocean view. We never had any problem getting a lounger on the beach in our desired area. We didn't go to the main pool, as there was a smaller pool that was just steps from our room. It was very quiet and there were always loungers available. Staff were cheerful and friendly. The food and service were good. The only disappointment was the afternoon tea. There were beautiful Wedgewood teacups, but we were given a teabag to dunk - no teapot! There was no fancy tray of treats, but the server gave you your choice from a saran wrapped plate. The scones were the worst I have ever tasted. But we loved Cafe de Paris for its coffees, crepes, ice cream and baked goodies. Kimonos Japanese restaurant was a fun experience. Enjoyed the lobster at Eleanor's. We preferred the buffet for breakfast, as it was faster than service at Eleanor's. Our arrival procedure at the resort was long. We were sent to the concierge office and invited to sit and have a drink. We were tired and warm from our flight and really wanted to get to our room and change, but our room was not ready - it was 4:00 pm! That was frustrating and I would have been more understanding, if it was 12:00 and departing guests had just checked out. Perhaps that process needs to be re-evaluated. Two small glitches in what was a truly wonderful vacation. We needed a restful vacation and we certainly got that. We returned home to the aftermath of the ice storm and have experienced a very cold January. We can't wait to return to Sandals Grande Antigua.

Room Tip: Caribbean Grove side seemed quieter, as units with room were 2 story or individual rondovals and cot...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank CHMack
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Hello CHMack,

We are honored to hear that your stay at Sandals Grande Antigua ranks high on your list of best vacation experiences! It's wonderful that you enjoyed the holiday festivities at the resort and that the staff made it a memorable time for you all. We apologize for the small glitches you encountered and I will be sending your suggestions to the relevant departments for immediate evaluation and adjustments as needed. Thank you for your review and valuable feedback.
We hope to welcome you back soon for an even better time!
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Let me start by saying this was a very good holiday, the however, comes because being the first time to Sandals and Antigua our expectations were very high but with the price we paid, less than £4k for 10 days in peak season overall it was excellent.

The excellent parts:-

• Food both in choice of places to eat and quality.
• Same with drinks
• Variation and quality of entertainment
• Beach and pool areas
• BA flights in economy within price

The very good parts:-

• Quality of room and cleanliness
• Most staff service – see below

What could be better:-

• When waiting for drinks or to get into restaurants some staff do not acknowledge you and you feel you are interrupting their work.
• No free bus/taxi service into St Johns
• Our check in service was slow and appeared disorganised but might have been due to the issues with US people flight delays due to poor weather.
• A few times during the day they ran out of wine / champagne glasses and were offered or given tumblers instead.
• Inability to keep room on after 12 noon with a 6pm flight ( hotel full )

Overall there is no question that this was very good value for money and we would go back again.

Room Tip: We were told by US people who went often, book lowest room and they will often upgrade you, we had o...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KevinR58
Hello and thank you for your review, Kevin.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Sandals Grande Antigua and overall your vacation was relaxing. However, we apologize that we fell short of meeting all of your expectations and that there were a few aspects of your visit that you felt needed attention.
We strive to meet our motto: Luxury All-Inclusive Vacations for Two People in Love. We are in a constant state of evolving our resorts and updating our amenities so I will be sure to send your feedback to the relevant departments.
We hope you will afford us another opportunity to provide you with an even better experience on a future visit.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

We flu from Gatwick with BA for 2 weeks for our honeymoon, overall we had a fantastic time, food was very nice in all resturants across the resort, apart from the OK Corral which I would say was poor and staff weren't very friendly either.

Gardens are lovely, weather was hot, with the odd 2 min shower a day, the sea water was about the same as the pool water, coldish but not too bad once you was in. Nice when your all hot :-)

Drinks are very strong, so remember if you want a nice tasting drink ask for a single, they do go over board lol which some people might like

We found the main pool loud compaired to the beach and the smaller pools dotted around, seemed like a lot of couples come to get rid of there kids for a week and treat it like a spring break even though though there pushing 40. Not ideal for a resort pushing for honeymooners....crack on, there all drunk by 6pm and u don't see them in the evening lol

The staff all seem very friendly and even the locals on the beech seem friendly..yeah there pushing for sales for trips but they do take NO as a NO and don't pester you.

Entertainment is what you expect abroad really, pool volleyball was fun during the day, JAMES the intern was always friendly , good guy :-) bands are on the evening and few themed nights which was good, specially the beach party there have on Mondays , this is very nice and fun, who wouldn't like a BBQ on the beech in the Carribian :-)

Would highly recommend Eleanor's for breakfast and dinner, the lobster is very nice, always ask for double portion though, they don't mind ;-)

TV is disopointing in the room, poor reception lot of the time, and we lost the tv completely for a day or so, but hey who goes on holiday to watch the tele a

It really is ultra all inclusive , but be wary if you are wine person, only the house wine is free, they do charge for other bottles from around he world, same for the champs. But the house stuff is nice

One thing I didn't like is the 3 star plastic sunbeds in the pool and on the beech, it's not like that on sandals picture, brochure or website, think that spoils the 5 star look a bit..

...which brings me on to make sure you up at 7.30am for a good spot anywhere, the butlers are up major early for these spots and so are other people, so if you like a lay in, you find it hard to get a spot, specially with shade if that's what you want

Like I said overall I very nice resorts, some lovely places to chill in the evenings too, fire pits, hammocks etc with top food and many many drinks to choose from set on a lovely beach, with a nice sunset, very romantic , a lovely island and lovely locals!

Would defiantly recommend antigua , would I recommend sandals .... Mmmm maybe if you are American and want a spring break atmosphere with the older generation ;-)

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Danny T
Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed 22 January 2014

All employees are there to help you have a great time, relax, and not have to worry about anything. The place is beautiful. The beach is full of adult toys...kayaks, giant tricycles, snorkeling gear etc. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas are on the beach for your comfort. The pool/hot tub are huge and perfect temperatures. The swim up bar at the pool was awesome and the service was great. The cucumber water and bay witch cocktail were there for the taking and we're very refreshing. Great place. Highly recommend. Accommodations and restaurants were amazing as well!!

• Stayed December 2013
4 Thank Beth T
Thank you for your review, Beth.

We are elated that you had a spectacular time at Sandals Grande Antigua and that your expectations were exceeded. Our team members are always happy to do all they can to see that our guests get to completely unwind and relax.
We appreciate you kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back again!
Gander, Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My husband and I travelled to the Grande Antigua in October for our Honeymoon, just a little late writing this review. We had an incredible experience! We got out of our van at the resort and was meet by one of the concierge staff waiting for us with champagne and a cool cloth. This was our first Sandals vacation but not our first trip down south and we had never experienced such service. We were asked to sit down and staff came to us to check us in. We are used to scurrying to the desk and lining up. The room was clean, fridge always stocked with more beverages than we could possibly consume. Food and drinks were awesome, sometimes too awesome because I think we were stuffed for the entire week. Staff was very friendly on the entire resort. Excellent service in the restaurants, I felt like royalty... Especially at Marios! The beach is fantastic.. sand clear and well maintained. But there are some negatives.. we were supposed to get a breakfast in bed as part of the honeymoon package, we selected a time but it didn't show up. The vendors on the beach are a bit excessive, I learned quickly to be firm and say no thanks, I usually feel bad and agree to look but big mistake. We are beach people but would go to the pool in the afternoons to get a break from the vendors. There is a lack of beach/pool chairs, sometimes it took some searching to hunt one down. Entertainment in the evenings was lacking, which we usually really enjoy on our trips. There is no theatre, just random little shows held and just not comparable to others we have seen. And I have to agree with a previous reviewer, the musty smell in the Drunken Duck is almost unbearable, and yes.. I know it is a pub and to expect it, but it is really bad. I feel awful writing the negative things but it is things that other travellers should be aware of. Our trip was overall fantastic... and we did book at the Soon Come Back desk for another Sandals vacation :)

Room Tip: Rooms in the Mediterranean side are much newer, select one on the 3rd or 4th floor for best view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank stace125
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Hello there stace125!
We thank you for taking the time to write a review and we truly value your comments. We are honored to have hosted your honeymoon stay at Sandals Grande Antigua and that you had a fantastic time exploring the resort and sampling all the delicious food.
We appreciate your feedback and will have the resort management team take a look into some of the concerns you mentioned in your review. We are dedicated to providing our guest with the best vacation experience and we are constantly making improvements to all aspects of our service.
We hope to welcome you back soon for an even better time!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews about this place...this was my 3rd Sandals and it did not disappoint! Our stay was great, the check in process was smooth and we were greeted with Champagne during check in!

Service & Staff:
The property was beautiful, we met a lot of great people the staff certainly made it a trip we won't soon forget! Our first night our bartender (Ashmaine) quickly made us feel welcomed and we tended to follow him around depending where he worked, and Akiko the cocktail waitress served us well, and always took time to come say hello and chat a bit with us! I could go on and on the service and staff was out of this world! The interns that we met (Hannah, Maurice, and James) were great!!

Beach:
The beach was nice, but yes it is a little crowded with vendors but not enough to ruin the experience, and Sandals has security by all entrances to ensure your safety! The beach though if you can handle saying "no" a few times is very, very nice!

Food:
The food was fabulous! So many options if you go for just a week you'd be hard pressed to try all of them. If you're planning to go to this resort and would like to eat at Kimonos or Eleanor's I would suggest making reservations before you go, as they are required to dine at these places! I highly recommend going to Kimonos as it is an experience you won't forget!

Final Verdict:
It was a great experience, I would go back not for the Island itself, while it is a beautiful Island it is very small, but I would absolutely go back to Sandals because of the amazing time we had with our friends we made on the staff, they are absolutely amazing and the resort in itself is beautiful and well maintained, our rooms were tidy and fairly new the Med. side is only 7 years old, the Caribbean Grove side is a little older, and I can't judge the accommodations as I stayed on the Med. side! Again I can't say enough good things about the staff!

only negative side, this isn't any thing to do with the resort but the Island; that is that their seemed to be a high population of mosquitoes, came back with lots of bites! I was told for the ladies stay away from anything black in the evening, as they are more drawn to that. That would be my only complaint!
Thanks Sandals for another AMAZING Vacation! Can't wait to come back home soon!

Room Tip: If you want a view of the sea then I Highly recommend staying on the Med. side as it is newer and mo...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Amanda C
Hello and thank you for your input, Amanda!

We are delighted to hear of the superb time you had during your stay at Sandals Grande Antigua and the exceptional service provided by our staff! They will be so grateful to hear all of your kind remarks and that their genuine, friendly manner truly made this vacation an unforgettable one!

We do regularly fog the property in an attempt to reduce the amount of mosquitoes but realize at certain times during the year, they do seem to resist our best efforts. We will continue to look for other avenues of preventing them from being such a nuisance to our guests in the future.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back home soon for an another amazing experience!
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. John's
#1 of 3 in Bolans
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!