Stayed 21st Jan - 1st Feb 2014. Best holiday ever!
Resort paradise with the tropical trees and flowers everywhere with humming birds darting in and out, sea turquoise blue and white sand, palm trees everywhere!
The beach vendors are very polite and do not persist if you just say no thank you. They get to know you and stop asking you after a couple of days. They are colourful characters and love to chat. Ask for Devon to arrange a good trip.
Hotel spotlessly clean everywhere.
Every type of food available from grab and go to fine cuisine and local menus on offer. Also no limit on food or soft drinks or alcohol from 10.30am when beach service also starts!
Staff AMAZING! So friendly and cannot do enough for you. Love to be addressed by name and engage in a chat with you. They all shook our hands on our last day.
Go for a sail around the island on the Excellence. A fab trip with lots of fun. Crew amazing, carried my wheelchair onto the catamaran and then down onto the beach for lunch etc.
Go for a Pelican Safari and ask for Damian. We had a great day with him and learnt so much about Antigua and it's history. He's a wonderful guy.
We were in Caribbean Grove by a pool which was so beautiful but room not as pictured in brochure, however decided to stay put because of location. Worse thing was the wardrobe was in bathroom so clothes always felt bit damp. Very clean though.
Beach beds hard to come by after 9am and beach cabanas all gone. Rules state no reserving but as some guests reserve the night before you have to do the same or miss out.
There were lots of our American friends here, some in large "mature" groups who seemed to be engaging in competitions of who could shout down or outdo his/companions the most both in the restaurants, at the bar and poolside This spoilt the much advertised romantic atmosphere sometimes. Our peaceful pool in front of our room was hijacked by such a group some afternoons where they took an iPad playing on full volume, took bottles and glasses of alcohol from their rooms and sat with their feet in the water shouting at each other across the pool. Other guest enjoying their books and relaxing in the quiet all had to move away. We told several members of staff but they didn't seem to do anything about it. Arranged fun activities were available in other areas every day - the Caribbean Grove is supposed to be the quiet area. In the dining room sometimes you couldn't hear each other speak. Very selfish, inconsiderate and juvenile behaviour displayed by some which let down their nation and I'm sure their fellow Americans would agree with that.
As per holiday info however some people did push it to the limit and arrived at dinner in nothing better than beach gear, extra short hot pants even wearing baseball caps back to front. And who wants to see builders bums and T shirts parting company with trousers in an elegant dining room? I think the hotel should impress upon guests that appropriate dress should be worn in all the restaurants.
However overall we have come home feeling we have been to paradise, had the best holiday ever and would thoroughly recommend this hotel and the Island. Do get to know the people - it's really worth it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TravelUp, Travelbag, Southall Travel and Holiday Gems so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish