We have just returned from a two week break at the resort and we would rate our time as good, very good in fact in many aspects, but not great and sadly certainly not special... Why? well a couple of main reasons:
1. The room we booked we would politely describe as 'tired' and some facilities just didn't work (the safe for example). Also, the housekeeping schedule was haphazard - sometimes they arrived before 10.00 AM sometimes not until 17.00. Makes it a little difficult to plan your day (but hey, its only a minor gripe). We also needed to get the room fumigated as we experienced a lot of insects bites when we were in the room. The fumigation did make a difference.
2. The resort was heavily occupied by a couple of Corporate Parties on reward programmes. Really nice folks individually, but their presence meant that when they moved in a group, the facilities were really busy - so pools, restaurants and activities. Almost a shut out on occassions. The sad part of this is that we went for a romantic time away (as per the advertising), but would you choose to spend a romantic evening with you better half and 200 or so heavy agriculture machinery salesfolks/distributors and Mortgage Clerks from North America?? No? me neither, but I didn't get the choice..and for this I paid north of $10,000.
One final annoyance was that as returning guests and Sandals Select Reward Members we were not offered any room upgrades (or indeed any other benefits), unlike many of the couples staying around us that were enjoying their first Sandals holiday. Why not? What is the point of being Select Rewards Members? Truth is we got absolutely zero benefit from our membership.
So, We DID have a good holiday because the location, setting and the staff are mostly brilliant, but I am sorry to say that we feel that standards have noticeably slipped in the rooms, the restaurants and the entertainment (very variable) and that the resort is no longer worth the premium prices charged.
Would we take another Sandals Holiday? I think we would, but there are a number of things we would want to check before we booked, specifically whether there were any Corporate Parties expected when we were planning to stay there..and of course whether there was a deal available - We certainly wouldn't pay the full advertised prices - lots of better alternatives at those levels...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Holiday Gems, TravelUp, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Travelbag, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish