“Honeymoon, Fantastic but still room for improvement”

Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Honeymoon, Fantastic but still room for improvement”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I never write reviews but I used this site so much to choose our honeymoon hotel so I thought I should repay the favour :)

Room - We stayed in the Mediterranean side in a ground floor walk out suite with club service. We had originally booked the Caribbean deluxe room but upgraded a month or so prior to our trip and we are SO glad we did. The room was beautiful, very large with massive 4 poster bed, mini bar with spirits and wine, champagne etc and an amazing bathroom with rain shower and jacuzzi bath. It was great having the alcohol in our room but to be honest we only used it a couple of times as you can get drinks so easily around the resort but it was nice to have a wine while getting ready for the night :)

Club service - This was probably our biggest disappointment, we upgraded to this concierge level room not only as we was on honeymoon but also because we celebrated my 30th birthday at the resort. Having let the hotel know of this 3 times in advance I didn't even receive a card let alone a birthday cake etc which is something the concierge service promises. This was a massive disappointment. My husband had booked a candle light dinner for my birthday dinner and even rang them a hour before to make them aware again that it was a special dinner for my birthday but again nothing at all to recognise it was my birthday. For this reason not sure I would bother paying the money to upgrade to club/concierge service again.

Beach - The beach is gorgeous white sands and lovely clear water however the vendors were a bit annoying, I didn't mind them trying to sell us goods, they were just trying to earn a living. What I did mind was 2 of the Jet Ski vendors having a full on fight in front of the guests, no one even tried to break it up until one of the guys picked up a glass bottle and attempted to smash it over the other guys head! This was only our second day that we witnessed this and after that we didn't sit on the beach again in our 2 week stay but instead choose to stay by the pool. Having said that all of the other vendors we encountered during our stay were very polite and friendly so perhaps it was just bad luck we had to witness that.

Pools - We ended up going to the Med pool every day as we had a walkout room so was easier to get a sunbed here. We did have to get up before 7:30am most days to get a sunbed with a shade. This in itself is ridiculous, a company such as sandals should provide a shade with every pair of sunbeds! In that heat you need shade at some point during the day. Anyway the pool was great, drinks good at the pool bar etc and staff lovely and friendly. People hogging the pool floats by there sunbed is annoying, the floats are for EVERYONE to use! Leave them in the pool after you have finished with them!

Restaurants - I loved the food at all restaurants, over the 2 weeks we managed to do every restaurant twice, only place we didn't try was Soy. Our faves was Eleanors and OK corral, also great fish and lovely servers at barefoot. Drunken duck had the friendliest staff and was fun at night. Also don't miss the beach BBQ they do on a Monday night, even if you just go for the entertainment, good fun!

The only slight gripe my husband had was that he said the resort isn't quite as "romantic" as Sandals makes out in its adverts. Yes you get lots of couples honeymooning etc but we also experienced quite few large groups who proceeded to get quite drunk in the pool, shouting to each other etc and then getting extremely rowdy in a couple of the restaurants at night. That wasn't quite the romantic atmosphere that we was expecting at a sandals resort.

Trips - We took an amazing private sailing trip with Miramar Sailing and used Captain Kevin on his boat Hawnalea. We booked a private 5 hour cruise, Kevin will take you wherever you want, we went to Cades reef to snorkel and then he took us to Turner beach for a amazing lunch. I would definitely recommend this trip, to have a private boat for a day was amazing and it was less money than what we paid for the sandals deep sea fishing trip which we also tried.

Weather - We stayed for 2 weeks from 02/04-15/04 and weather was perfect, only saw rain a couple of times and it didn't last more than 5 minutes or so. Lovely and warm in the day but with a pleasant breeze at night.

All in all we both had an amazing honeymoon and I would book a Sandals property again if I found a good deal although not sure I would bother paying the extra for the club service next time.

Room Tip: Med Walk out rooms are great for easy access to the pool and have lovely garden views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Louise K
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear Louise,

We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay at Sandals Grande Antigua. We strive to meet our goal to provide relaxing and romantic experiences for our guests and there is nothing we would have wanted more than to create a wonderful experience for you.

Your feedback is crucial in our improvement process, so we thank you for your review. Your comments will be sent to our management team and security team for review and action will be taken to ensure our future guests do not share this experience.

Hopefully, we can welcome you back for a much better vacation in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,767)
  • Polish first
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

It's been a year since I spent a week at this resort and may be odd that I'm writing a review just before I'm returning there in a few days time but I think this highlights what my views are about the place instantly. My wife posted a previous review a year ago and gave it full marks so I'm kind of adding an addendum to it. Reason I'm going back? I haven't had a break since Christmas, I has rained and been dark here in the UK since that time, my back aches, my neck aches and my knees are throbbing from the constant commute from the South coast to London daily. I needed to go somewhere where I could flop down, raise my arm to order some some Champagne, roll into a hot jacuzzi, swim around for a bit then sit next to a bar (in the pool), dance my socks off during the night, Sing my favorite songs at a Karaoke, Snack when I want, choose from thirteen restaurants, order some more beer and Champagne at any time, chill-out next to a fire-pit on the beach whilst playing my favorite tunes on my Bose while listening to the sea beat against the shore in a rhythmic pulse and the sound of the wildlife throughout the day, walking around the compound looking at the varying floral treats and getting engrossed in my photography, occasionally sneaking away during the day to play my own songs on a grand piano, trying different cocktails with my wife late at night till we're both tipsy and connecting up my video player to the in-room plasma to watch my programs, contemplating Jet-skiing, contemplating kayaking, contemplating ordering another drink, planning were we're going to eat tonight and doing all this with a loved one. Nuff said.
General nationality breakdown. Yanks(50%) Europeans(20%) Latin(20%) Others (10%)

Room Tip: If you're drunken Brit. Ground floor at all times. If you want posh privacy then the Mediterrane...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank royfagon
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Hello there royfagon,

We cannot wait to welcome you back for more fun in the sun at Sandals Grande Antigua! We appreciate you sharing your fantastic memories from your previous stay and what you look forward to doing once you return. It would be our pleasure to create another incredible vacation experience for you!
See you soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed at Sandals Grande Antigua in early March 2014. There were a lot of things that could be improved, but overall we had a great time.

The beach is great, but not as long as we would have liked. My wife and I like to walk or run on the beach in the morning, but this beach is only a mile or so long. The pool was the main attraction at this resort, and I thought it was great. Except for the one afternoon when somebody had defecated on the pool deck. Gross. But Sandals had it cleaned up very quickly. Considering this resort doesn't allow children, I am still confused how that even occurred. Anyways...

The food was hit or miss. Some items were tasty, like the pizza's and the ribs. Other times, the food was a little bland. The breakfast buffet was very good. Made to order eggs and omelettes, fresh squeezed OJ, fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, pastries, etc. The sushi was okay, but you could tell it was not the same quality as you get in the U.S. The French restaurant was decent.

There were some mosquitoes but we brought some bug spray and they weren't a big deal as a result. However, some of the staff at the hotel were stupid enough to do turn down service with the lights on in the room and the door propped open with their cart. We got a room full of bugs on the first night, and I left a note asking them not to even do a turn down service again. That solved the problem.

If you enjoy tennis, make sure you bring your own equipment. The courts are nice and Fernando gives a good lesson, but the rackets they have there are K-Mart quality. They actually had white ankle tape on the grips. I was surprised that Sandals can't spring for a few mid range rackets.

The bar tenders were great. Especially at the pub. Friendly and funny. Cool to hang out with and talk to after dinner. Mario was the man.
Some of the servers were wonderful. Shannon at the beach restaurant was excellent. Other times, I got some very rude servers like at the sushi restaurant. Overall the staff is friendly, but you can tell half of them hate you. I guess I can't blame them. Rich or well off people from the UK or U.S. laying around and stuffing our faces. But then again, we do provide job security. it would be nice if they smiled and pretended to be friendly.

Overall, the resort is well maintained and the island is beautiful. The rooms are nice. As with all resorts there are some issues, but I would go again. Maybe to a different Sandals just because I like to mix it up, but we had a great vacation.

Remember, your there to have fun, so relax and don't sweat the small stuff. I listed some problems I encountered in my review, but I never let any of it ruin my good time.

Room Tip: Just ask for a higher floor and ocean view.
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We had a thoroughly enjoyable 2 weeks here. Excellent room, food, grounds. Only one thing stops us giving the full five stars. While there are sufficient sunbeds around the extensive grounds, there are not enough parasols, and those that are on or near the beach and the main pool tend to be reserved by the butlers for their charges. Of course we would expect that to be the case, as customers pay a lot more for butler service, however there is no excuse for the lack of parasols around the other pools. For example, there were 22 sunbeds around the pool beneath our room, but only 4 parasols. Sure, there are a number of people who do not want shade. That’s up to them. However, we must have shade. The simple solution is to have one parasol between every two sunbeds; if people don’t wish to use them, just don’t erect them. It wouldn’t be expensive to do and would avoid the confrontations we were aware of that caused an unfortunate atmosphere between some guests.
Otherwise, perfect.

1 Thank DKenP
Hello DKenP,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. We are happy that you did enjoy your time at Sandals Grande Antigua but we were saddened that their were a few aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. We value your input and we will be looking into your concerns about the parasols and making the necessary adjustments to ensure that we do not receive similar feedback in the future. We apologize for any shortcoming on our part and we look forward to welcoming you back for a truly 5-star experience in the future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I recently spent 7 days at the Sandals Grande Antigua. This was our 4th Sandals resort, having also stayed at Royal Plantation (twice), Royal Bahamian, Emerald Bay, as well as at Beaches Negril for a family vacation.

We opted to stay in the Caribbean side of the resort, which I'm glad we did as it is much lusher, more laid back and tropical feeling, and closer to beach & restaurants, whereas the Mediterranean side feels quite corporate albeit with awesome views over the resort & mountains (on the back side of the resort).

Side note: There are two parrots, Samson & Delilah, who are kept in a cage in the Carib lobby, and they are taken out for 'exercise' every morning at which time you can watch them 'play pool' or ask to have Delilah (the more sociable of the two) stand on your arm for a photo op. Quite fun if you are an animal lover like me! Speaking of which, there are also a number of cats around the property, practical to ward off any unwanted rodents, but also a nice aspect to the place.

The beach is lovely with white sand and turquoise water. My only disappointment was that there were no waves to speak of, which both my husband and I would have liked -- both for the sound of the breakers and to play around in, body surfing or what have you. But still a great beach for either swimming around in or floating (like my husband does!).

There are a number of small pools on the Caribbean side, but we ended up preferring the large (main) pool on the Med side for its atmosphere and open vistas.

Lots of restaurants to choose from, and we tried them all except for Soy. Thought Eleanor's was a bit overrated, and the lobster okay but not exquisite. OK Corral is worth trying if only for the view over the beach from its elevated location over the Sundowner bar. We sort of wished it could be re-purposed either as a bar (there is no lounge-type bar with a view at this resort; the piano bar adjacent to OK Corral is totally interior, which is a pity) or a different style restaurant, i.e., something more Caribbean-oriented rather than Tex Mex. Mario's has an awesome antipasto bar -- one evening we went just for that!

A bit of an issue with butlers reserving not only the best beach/pool loungers (sometime before 6am, as that is when my husband went out to check; he thought they may have got someone to place the little tables upside down on the loungers the night before in order to reserve them!), but also the best tables at restaurants like Eleanors, where all the tables bordering the beach walkway had little flowers on them, indicating they were butler booked. This aspect of the two-tier (butler/non-butler) Sandals policy was quite noticeable and somewhat annoying.

Staff were generally quite engaging and friendly, which was pretty much true of everyone we encountered in Antigua. A couple of special shout-outs: Threcia in the spa was wonderful, and I very much enjoyed my time with her (excellent pedicure and memorable conversation, a truly lovely girl). Also, we took a Best of Antigua 3-hour island tour with Cecil, who is awesome and very much recommended if you want any sort of outing.

All in all, Sandals Antigua is a very nice resort and its only real drawback for us was its size. We generally much prefer a smaller property, like Royal Plantation or Emerald Bay (our two favourites so far). Having said this, we really enjoyed our week there and would recommend it overall.

Room Tip: Caribbean side is better if you want a tropical, laid-back, relaxed atmosphere. It's also close...
1 Thank Mumsy57
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Sandals Antigua was our 9th Sandals vacation. I must say from a resort standpoint Antigua was so far the nicest resort. As I read the reviews here often I thought I would share some input for those of you considering this resort or Sandals overall.
Pros:
1. Largest Sandals we have stayed at to date. This is key as even when the resort was full, it never felt crowded
2. The grounds were very clean and kept up very well
3. Numerous pools to choose from. The main large pool was often crowded but again enjoyable
4. The bartenders at this resort did a great job, very little wait time for drinks
5. Our room was awesome, private plunge pool 2 room suite on Mediterranean side with Butlers (this was our 4th time using Butlers)
6. The beach was very large with very clean sand, the beach was only second to Sandals Emerald Bay
7. Numerous places to eat
8. The staff overall very nice and helpful
9. Security – The resorts had a 24hr presence of security, exp at the beach to only allow guest on the resort.

Cons
1. Beach Vendors – Sandals Antigua beach is public the vendors were many, they will approach you numerous times and even after you say no thank you they will come back and ask you again. We found ourselves not enjoying the beach as much because it was never peaceful. This is nothing Sandals can control however. Remember we are their guest on their island, be polite.
2. Food – overall food was a grade of a B compared to other Sandals resorts
3. Guests continue to think they can hold a pool floaties by their chairs out of the pool; these are for all to use. If you want one and it’s out of the water, take it, people do not own these. We actually saw hotel staff walk the pool and remove floaties from guest chair areas and put back in the pool… THANK YOU STAFF! Some guest are ignorant and can’t read the signs. We actually had a large angry woman yell at us and stated she had rented it for the day, seriously. I took it anyway and layed on it with a drink.

Finally we will be visiting this resort again for sure.

Room Tip: Get the Butler Service
2 Thank bon6660
West Covina, California
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Don’t expect to see drunken topless girls, rowdy guys, gang members or kids here, but this is a very Fun, Relaxing laid back place. No Worries Here.
VC Bird Airport is small and friendly airport and it took about 20 minutes to go thru Immigration and Customs. The Immigration workers were very friendly and helpful. A new terminal is said to be completed by September 2014. The new Up-to-date Passenger Processing will contain 46 check-in counters, 15 self-check in kiosks, 5 Baggage carousels, a mini food court, multiple VIP lounges, Bank, Retail stores, First class lounges, Restaurants and other Facilities.
The trip from VC Bird to Sandals was about a 15 minute ride thru the country along the ocean. We upgraded to the Club Sandals Concierge and when we arrived by private cab we were greeted to private check-in with a glass of champagne and a cold cloth. The room was ready upon arrival, clean and made up at least twice a day and had turn-down service at night! We stayed in the all-suites Mediterranean Village expansion with lavish units with matching marble, mosaic tile, mahogany furniture, flat-screen TV, spacious bathroom with rain shower and separate Jacuzzi tub and twin sinks.
We stayed in this Five Star Resort for seven nights not enough and could have stayed forever. This was our first experience at a Sandals resort, and we loved it. The complex is divided up into two sides the Caribbean Village (older side) and the Mediterranean Village (New side) both has a lot of amenities, swimming pools and shops. Some of the rooms even have their own private splash pools. There was a very nice workout facility with a cold water pool and a warm water pool.
The public spaces were well-kept, lovely un-crowed beach, glorious gardens, and plethora of facilities, many pools with swim-up bars; upscale restaurants; an English pub; and posh retailers. I will especially recommend the OK Corral is a TexMex restaurant overlooking the beach which serves extra spicy dishes such as Chicken fajitas and cream cheese encased in chilies then deep fried, Steaks and Seafood. The food was heavenly and the service second to none.
There are many restaurant s including a Japanese restaurant, an Italian restaurant, and a Steak House restaurant and English Pub. All were very good. There was food and drinks at all times day and night
There was always something entertaining going on in the open air lobby--bands with steel drums, dancing etc. One day venders came and set up tables at the Pool, so you wouldn't even have to leave the hotel to go shopping.
The staff is very friendly in most cases. Gavin from the Main Pool Bar was awesome. David from the Drunken Duck is very nice and helpful. We met a lot of wonderful couples here this week, some young and some older.
The only issue we had was that we requested to be close to our friends. The rooms were quite a distance apart and no other rooms were available but our Concierge took charge and put them just a few doors down from us.
Room Tip: Upgrade to the Club Sandals Concierge Service, well worth the money.
Excursions and Extras: We did the Couples massage $260.00, quite pricey, but the wife enjoyed it. Note on the beach at North end of the Resort is a guy who does coconut oil massage on the beach for $40.00. All the vendors on the beach are licensed so there are no worries about using them.
We did the Sandals escorted Antigua Shopping $30.00 for two; we went on a day when the cruise ship was in port, very busy and crowded. We went back the next day in a taxi for $24.00 ($12.00 each way) for 4 people and was much more enjoyable and the taxi waited for us and brought us back.
We also did the 7 hour Sandals Exclusive Circumnavigation Cruise $230.00 and snorkeling trip around the Island, Great food, Rum drinks and beer included. This was the best value of all the excursions.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Club Sandals Concierge Service, well worth the money.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Bolans
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!