“Wonderful Babymoon”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wonderful Babymoon”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband & I went to Antigua for a babymoon. This is a beautiful quiet island with very welcoming & hospitable locals. The resort is beautiful & well groomed. We stayed on the updated Mediterranean side, but the exterior of the Caribbean side appeared well maintained.

Room: the room was spacious with gorgeous dark woods and well spaced furnishings. The shower was fine for one, but too tight for 2. There is only a rain shower head which my husband loved, but I like the shower head from the wall. There could also be more hooks/racks in the bathroom , but we made do. The rooms were slow to be cleaned daily even if we left the room early. The refrigerator remained well stocked with all beverages including bottled water.

Restaurants: my husband enjoyed every meal he had, but I found the food to be average. We ate at all the restaurants except Soy. The exception to this is Kimonos. I was delightfully surprised by the taste and portions of the food. Of note, this is a group dinner, not just you and your significant other. Also, the birds can be a bit annoying at Bayside for breakfast, but Mario's offers the same breakfast buffet indoors.

Bars: (per my husband) bartenders were are friendly and want to please you, but the alcohol was watered down. This is not necessarily a bad thing as you should be careful about drinking in the sun. There are bars all over the resort.

Beach: I'm far more of a beach girl than a pool grill. The beach was immaculate. The sand was soft, the water clears, and there is plenty of covered seating (more than what the website shows). This can be challenging to get as people will reserve spots early in the morning, so be prepared. If you have a butler, they will reserve a location for you.

Pool: also be aware of reserved seating at the main Mediterranean pool. This is the most popular pool. The Caribbean pool is isolated but quiet.

Overall we had a wonderful trip that was relaxed. Everything we needed was provided. The customer service was excellent. I would recommend this location to friends that needed relaxation, not partying.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Najgeenap

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,748)
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and I came here for a week in November 2013 for our 20th anniversary. What a great place to vacation. The weather in Antigua is amazing and the resort is clean and fun. There is plenty to do here and it is very easy to relax. We have been to other Beaches and Sandals resorts throughout our married lives and the difference between all of them is slight. But Antigua is amazing. The rooms were all new and the resort is large. The breakfast in the morning was buffet style and it was really nice to sit outside by the beach and enjoy the first meal of the day. We would then meet up with friends we met and have multiple drinks and oven cooked pizza for lunch. The pool is very clean and enjoyable. I will be honest, the meals at night are small but very tasty. You can eat all day if you wanted. Even though we did not do this, I suggest you get out on a tour of the island. All of our friends did it and all had a great time, we just could not fit it into our schedule. The resort is about 40 minutes from the airport and the only issue we had was returning to the airport, it is very small and very unorganized. Takes a long time to get to the gate. There are vendors on the beach that constantly keep asking you for jet ski rides or tours but they do not bother you for too long and are common place for resorts like Sandals. The sunsets are amazing and the you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Get out of the room early in the morning and reserve a chair. They have butler service people out th...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jbturph
Lexington
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Just got back from 4 days in this resort. This was our second sandals (La Toc, St Lucia previously). We stayed in the Mediterranean side with the concierge service. The room was beautiful as well as the bathroom and in room wifi great. We had a mini bar but it was not re-stocked that frequently and we only had the water and fruit juices from it - much more fun to go to the bars and meet others!

The beach was delightful as well as the tranquil aqua marine clear sea - great place to hang out.
I went Kayaking and had no problems - the people were great help and prepared to take you out if you needed help.

The pool was lovely too but difficult to find a place to sit by it as there were so many loungers with towels on with no one on them if you did not get a towel on early you were out of luck.
Loved watching the sun go down at the fire pits !
The gardens were lovely which was great as compared to other resorts there is a lot of walking especially to the entertainment and places to eat were on the Caribbean side.
Loved to have breakfast at Mario's especially as they make smoothies to order including green ones!
Lunch was at Barefoot by the sea and that was nice.
Disappointed with Eleanor's as the one at La Toc was much more superior. As we were return sandals guests we went to a special dinner and it was lovely apart from the beautiful steak with ground coffee around it - poor choice chef! Lacks quality and certainly spoilt a lovely piece of steak!

Caribbean night was fun for all. I have just read some reviews on lack of entertainment at night for under 50s.....we had no problems! Great English pub - with lively music, other events each night as well as an awesome piano bar to sing along with others.

I was disappointed with concierge service I was expecting pampering but we waited about an hour to check in. I expected to be shown around the property for our private tour - no that is scheduled for 10 am next day and by the next day you can already get around the property. I expected to be greeted and checked in on daily to see if we needed anything but no you only got service if you asked for it. Daily cleaning of the room might take all day but then it is island time!

For relaxation this resort is lovely and the gardens are beautiful we had a wonderful time there and yes I would definitely go back. Antigua has a very special place in my heart as it is smaller and quieter than St Lucia or Jamaica. So in that respect I can overlook some very minor negatives.
I do look forward to one day returning but I am eager to visit Grenada and Barbados first before returning.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank triotrois
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I went to Sandals Antigua for our 10th year wedding anniversary. The resort exceeded our expectations with the food (order the lobster), variety of activities (snorkeling, couple games, etc..) beach (clean, amazing views) and friendly staff members. Every day we were at Cafe de Paris for amazing coffee and pastries. The couples massage was excellent (ask for Ms. Gwen) We hope to be back!!! #Anu!!!

1 Thank Zander R
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The resort was beautiful and comfortable. The service was friendly and cheerful, especially our butler, Maureen, who knew what we wanted before we said anything. We were both camera shy before the trip but Delmore brought out our inner models. We had lots of fun hamming it up in front of his camera. The wedding staff guided us through a picture-perfect ceremony and ensured that we will have fond memories that last a lifetime. We definitely plan to return as soon as possible!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
DENVER
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I am a travel agent who has been very fortunate in that I have been everywhere! Having said that, It takes alot more to impress me and the staff ,both in front and behind the scenes of the Sandals Brand continue to impress and surprise me with how well they take care of my clients! Shout out to Ezra who took my mistake and fixed it so that my clients could experience the Sandals Difference!! Thanks so much!! We love Sandals!!

baltimore
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We visited Sandals Antigua 7-14 June 2014. The resort was first class--facilities in good order, grounds immaculate, beach and pools clean, room comfortable, and a great staff who cared about providing good service. Whoever trains the staff needs an award. The srtqff would not accept tips--which i was glad to offer due to the service and friendliness of the place. We were in room 403 which is a quaint cottage with a nice front proch close to everything. The breakfast buffet was excellent. However supper needs a bit of fine tuning. There was no supper buffet so we went to their ala carte restarunts. Food was good, but serving size was very small. I ordered scallops for an appetiser and got one lonely critter burried in some green stuff. I ordered the Mahi for an entre and got a 2 inch piece of fish--very tasty but I throw away smaller bait fish than that. I then ordered a second Mahi entre--no problem. The Drunken Duck served great bar food like I guess in England. The guy who runs it is a pro and pleases all who go there. They have a neat coffee shop too--great coffee and desserts. Food is good, but serving sizes too small--and they need a supper buffet. They have wi fi at main building, but it would be nice if it were all over the resort. That can't cost too much for that big firm. Sandals costs a bit more than other really nice resorts, but they out-do most in quality and service--we went for our 10th anniversary. Yes, we would go again for a special occasion. Beware of the airport--definitely third world primitive. Ther are building a modern structure but need to consider better ways to move people in, out and thru customs--long walks, never ending lines. bottom line--this is a great resort that treats guests very well.

Room Tip: 400 s3eries rooms are great standard rooms
1 Thank engineer48
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,683 reviews

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!