My husband & I went to Antigua for a babymoon. This is a beautiful quiet island with very welcoming & hospitable locals. The resort is beautiful & well groomed. We stayed on the updated Mediterranean side, but the exterior of the Caribbean side appeared well maintained.
Room: the room was spacious with gorgeous dark woods and well spaced furnishings. The shower was fine for one, but too tight for 2. There is only a rain shower head which my husband loved, but I like the shower head from the wall. There could also be more hooks/racks in the bathroom , but we made do. The rooms were slow to be cleaned daily even if we left the room early. The refrigerator remained well stocked with all beverages including bottled water.
Restaurants: my husband enjoyed every meal he had, but I found the food to be average. We ate at all the restaurants except Soy. The exception to this is Kimonos. I was delightfully surprised by the taste and portions of the food. Of note, this is a group dinner, not just you and your significant other. Also, the birds can be a bit annoying at Bayside for breakfast, but Mario's offers the same breakfast buffet indoors.
Bars: (per my husband) bartenders were are friendly and want to please you, but the alcohol was watered down. This is not necessarily a bad thing as you should be careful about drinking in the sun. There are bars all over the resort.
Beach: I'm far more of a beach girl than a pool grill. The beach was immaculate. The sand was soft, the water clears, and there is plenty of covered seating (more than what the website shows). This can be challenging to get as people will reserve spots early in the morning, so be prepared. If you have a butler, they will reserve a location for you.
Pool: also be aware of reserved seating at the main Mediterranean pool. This is the most popular pool. The Caribbean pool is isolated but quiet.
Overall we had a wonderful trip that was relaxed. Everything we needed was provided. The customer service was excellent. I would recommend this location to friends that needed relaxation, not partying.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelbag, Ebookers, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U. and getaroom.com so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish