“So happy we visited” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
“So happy we visited”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband have traveled but we have never done an all inclusive resort. Great start. We stayed on the Mediterranean side. This resort was wonderful relaxing and fun.

I will start with the very few cons.

1. ( not the fault of sandals) I love peace and quiet when I'm on a beach. There are many vendors on the beach trying to sell all types of things. You say no and they go but a few minutes later another vendor comes....I spent most of my time in the pool because of this.
2. At night there is an animal and I don't know what type that makes the most annoying and loud noise. Made it a little hard to fall asleep.
3. Bed was a little firm for me but my husband liked it. Pillows are soft.

Now the pros and our visit.

We visited for a wedding. We arrived on a sunday and were offered and cold towel and a seat while we waited to check in. No touch baggage they will bring to your rm. Received champagne and small appetizers which were awesome. Check in was fast. We were escorted to our rm which was beautiful. Big bed and tub which we used. Stocked bar...strong cold ac and balcony. Walked around and checked out the resort and this resort which is huge. I believe all rooms were booked but we never felt crowded anywhere. Even found some secluded places outside to be alone.

There are 11 restaurants offered but we only checked out the sushi, kimonos hibachi, cafe Paris, the pizza place, mario, barefoot, drunken duck and Eleanor. We ordered rm service every morning and sometimes lunch....the chairman breakfast which my husband loved. Food was great.....drinks were awesome....husband drink of choice... Remy Martin....and they have...Althea hooked my husband up.

There was something going on every night. Big dinner bash on beach monday night, karaoke, fire pit and couches around resort, pool tables...so much more.

Pool is big and beautiful water warm. Seats were always available. Swim up bar fun...they have popcorn. Beach water is blue....Crystal clear blue.

Every one on this resort is helpful and friendly. We had an awesome, relaxing time and will visit another Sandals resort again soon.

Thank you.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Elena R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,705)
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

So I'm back one year later to write another Sandals review. I honestly have to say that I didn't think we could have had a better experience than the first trip. I was WRONG! We had so much fun at Sandals Antigua. The staff was tremendous, the food was great and the party was non-stop! The entertainment team @ Sandals Antigua was phenomenal!!! Kennella, Kayla, Tiffney, Antonio and Frances did an amazing job of making sure that, not only us but every person they came into contact with, had an awesome time! The service staff was great too! Tyril at Bayside Grill is the man! David, Mario and Andy at the Drunken Duck, thanks for the memories!!! Same for Mariana and Ken at Mario's!!! I know I'm forgetting some names here and I apologize but it was absolutely worth every penny we spent on this trip. My wife and I are Sandals fans for life. The only problem we have now is trying to decide if we want to go to a new one or back to where we know and already miss our great friends...

Room Tip: Stayed on the Caribbean side and loved it. We had a little cottage. The Mediterranean side was a 4 s...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marcusariliac
Buffalo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

My husband and I traveled here in April of 2014. We were changed to Sandals Grande Antigua after Sandals closed their resort in Barbados for renovations. We were annoyed by the change but the Sandals representatives went above and beyond in order to ensure that we would have a wonderful vacation. We were extremely satisfied with this change. We have traveled to many spots in the Caribbean and other Sandals resorts and found this one to be one of the best. I have no complaints at all!

We stayed in the Mediterranean side, in the Cypress Tower. We were on the 7th floor, almost right in the center so we had the best view within the whole resort! I liked the Meditterrean side better since it was updated and further from the main action.

The food was delicious no matter what restaurant you ate at. The breakfast selections are good, pretty much the same buffet at both Marios and Bayside. We liked eating at Bayside because you sit right next to the beach. For lunch, we highly recommend the pizzas or having lunch right on the beach at Barefoot. Dinner was excellent at all of the places. Make sure you book reservations right away for Kimonos and Eleanors.

The service was great. They were very attentive around the pool and friendly behind the bar. They had some fun drink options on their menu and then they would also have a drink of the day. Each afternoon, the servers walked around with a sample of a bunch of drinks that you could try.

Overall, this was by far one of the best Caribbean resorts we went to. I would highly recommend spending the money. The resort was beautiful and super relaxing. The people were enjoyable and gracious. The food was delicious. We will definitely go back to Sandals Grande Antigua.

Room Tip: Cypress Tower on the Meditterran side offers the best views of the ocean and resort.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AshleyCady
Destin, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Wife and I Honeymooned at Sandals Antigua May 19th to the 24th in the Caribbean Beach Front Concierge Level room. This was her first time out of the Country and her first real vacation. I have left the Country over 20 times and have stayed at multiple 4 and 5 star resorts so our reviews of Sandals were a little different. Let me first say, overall we both had a really good time and we will return to another Sandals. There was only one "bad" incident at the Sandals Island Routes Reservation desk that makes me lower my review (UPDATE: Since writing my review Sandals Island Routes has reconciled this issue, it was fixed later than I would have liked, but I am happy they did respond and with a great attitude to fix it. I added a few "UPDATE" sections below and left the majority of my initial review in tact)

Let's start at the airport. Where the Sandals trip begins to me is the bus ride to the resort. It was an old run down bus with no A/C for us that day but luckily a very quick drive to the hotel. Once at the hotel we offered a cool towel to refresh our face and were quickly walked to the concierge office where 3 of us awaited check in. Our flight arrival was at 3PM so our room was ready and check in was extremely smooth. We were offered drinks and snacks at the concierge office while filling out our paperwork. From the bus ride to walking through our honeymoon suite door was maybe 45 minutes, which is pretty impressive.

Now off to the room. I'm almost afraid to rave about this room and let the secret out so I can be sure to get the same room the next time I go back, if I do go back. Our room was great, we were in 114 (second floor, the top floor) where we had sounds of a waterfall fountain to our left, the beach and ocean straight ahead, and a small pool off to our right. You give up some size and the new construction feeling if staying in this room over something priced similarly in the Mediterranean Village but so worth the view to us. Don't get me wrong, even though this room may not have as fancy of interior or be as newly updated it is still wonderful and the balcony is much nicer than what we were looking at on the Med side. But everyone has different taste so the Med side may be for you if you want the bigger bathrooms with garden tubs nicer interior, etc... When we shut the door at night we had no noise issues at all. I read all kinds of trip advisor reviews about lack of room service, not restocking the fridge, the room not being made up on time and we did not experience any of that. We mostly drank water in our room and it was refreshed daily. Room was always made up around 4-5PM and at night they would come by if you were in your room and ask if you needed anything. Resort did not seem at capacity at all so maybe we got extra attention this week. We did celebrate our Honeymoon here so we had nice welcome rose petals with folded towels into the shape of a heart and a bottle of champagne at arrival, breakfast in bed our morning of choice, and random nights with towels decorated as swans, all nice little touches that don't take much to make your stay more pleasant. Room service the one time we did it was on time and hot. Only complaints for this room were minor, the shower glass wall is a couple inches too short and allows water to spray the floor so you will have to put two towels down. WIFI only worked if you were by the patio, this was with an iPhone 5 and a Galaxy S3. Final annoyance, not fully Sandals fault was all the smokers around our room. We would be enjoying sunset or early morning sunrise on our balcony and our smoking neighbors would come out and ruin our time with their cigarette odor from smoking on their balcony below us or beside us. I'm shocked people still smoke today knowing how bad it is for you and innocent others, I'm use to domestic travel and hotels for the past 5 years which everywhere I've gone has been smoke free, wish Sandals was also, oh well.

Alright, food time. We only had one meal that we would call bad and that was lunch at Barefoot, it was the grilled Salmon salad, it was a horrible thin Salmon filet that was way overcooked and very undersized for the amount of lettuce on the plate. But it's all inclusive so we could have just gone somewhere else. We just wanted a snack anyway since the BBQ Beach Party was this night and that was pretty good food and an overall good time, it's on Monday nights so be sure to do it. It was also one of the few nights you could get fresh coconut juice. Shrimp here and really every restaurant was very good. I live on the gulf coast and most places shrimp doesn't compare but this was on par. The pig roast was good too. We made our reservations the first night we arrived for Kimona's and Eleanor's and had no problem getting in either. At Eleanor's we did the lobster and shrimp and it was good but weird no butter offered for the lobster. At Kimona's you only order appetizers and they do a mix of chicken and steak, maybe shrimp too on the grill, I don't remember. Our chef was good but not compared to what you may have experienced at hibachi in the US, there was no grand show or anything of showmanship, just some good jokes and good personality while preparing the food, he was a local guy. Your experience here will vary based off of your chef. We spoke to other couples who had better shows. Regardless, it was cool how Sandals trains the locals and seems like a fabulous employer if you are motivated and want to move up in the hospitality industry. We also did Mario's for Lava cake, that was very very good, Bayside for surf and turf night (ended up chatting with Violet who is one of the supervisors throughout most of our meal, she was well traveled and we shared some good stories, awesome staff member) , Pizza next to Mario's which the Shrimp, Basil, Pesto, Tomato pizza was amazing the first time we ordered it but the second time lacked basil and pesto, half the ingredients, geesh. We had already got it to go and back in our room before we noticed. We ate breakfast everywhere but bayside due to the birds, which is just Mario's, Eleanor's, and room service. Breakfast was consistent and good at all. Our final night we had a Caribbean night which was fun also and offered some good food, we were stuffed already from eating at Bayside. It's hard to eat at all the restaurants on a 5 night stay if you take advantage of the special theme nights which I thought were worth it. We never tried Drunken Duck or OK Corral. Overall the food is good, it is not 5 Star food, it is equivalent to your Applebee's, Chili's, Red Lobster style chains in the US but presented better and in a much better atmosphere. If you have been to real 5 star resorts I can see you being a little disappointed at the food here but if you have been to multiple all-inclusive resorts it's what to be expected at most. I have had better and worse at other all inclusives.

Staff and people. I read so many reviews about the people here not being friendly and that was simply not true at all in our case. I almost wonder if guests are bitter and the service they get back is a portrayal of them. My wife is Southern friendly so she was greeting and saying hello and talking to everyone and they were all happy smiles and greetings back to us. We talked to several staff member and security guards and had good conversations with all of them. Maybe it was because we made the first effort and others didn't, I don't know, we enjoy being social so we had a good time with the staff. Now I can say I have been to places where the staff is overly friendly and that can get annoying the same. I guess you can't call the locals on the beach actual Sandals staff, but again, they did not bother us like some people said. They of course would ask you if you were interested in a tour and a simple no thank you and they went on their way. Most of them actually remembered us being a blonde haired couple so they didn't ask us twice or pester us. I can see how people would be bothered though if they thought they were going to have a private beach and a secluded time at Sandals. After the Sandals Island Routes reservation desk lost our Xtreme Circumnavigation tour we did the remainder of our tours through the locals Duval and Nick on the beach. Both great guys and we actually stopped to talk to them each day. We didn't see either of them on our last day which sucked because we wanted a picture with them they were so friendly. They were actually eager to hear how our Xtreme tour went when we got it rebooked and when they saw us getting off the boat they came over to talk to us about it. So don't be afraid of these guys, they are legitimate good local people. We also bought jewelry through Coralline I think her name was and one of those giant seashells which needs to be submersed in bleach when you get home they stink so bad as they are pretty much barely cleaned after being pulled out of the ocean.

Resort itself. It is beautiful, with the older Caribbean side and new Mediterranean side. We spent equal time at both sides. When we wanted to be social we would be at the main pool on the Med side and when we wanted a little more seclusion there was the end of the beach on Caribbean side which was pretty secluded and free of people, also little pools throughout that only had a couple people at them. Overall you're not going to be totally secluded on property here but can find places to temporarily be alone for a little bit. The bars and restaurants are spread out and keep the crowds equally dispersed I thought. All the bars offer the same with slightly different atmospheres. We are not big drinkers but did try many of the frozen drinks at poolside and Bayside, and a martini night at the piano bar. All the bar tenders were great, I personally liked Vanessa at Bayside, she had a dry sense of humor and I always thought she made the drinks a little better, mojito's for example, she seemed to put more mint in there and spend more time crushing the mint and mixing it just right. You won't see BBC on the menu but ask for it, it is Bananas, Baileys, and Cream, very good. The grounds were amazing, they have people working everyday on the grounds and you won't find one dead palm or leaf hanging around and there is some amazing vegetation you will see on this resort. Fire-pits were a nice touch at night and we were lucky to always be able to grab one when we wanted and we usually stayed for an hour enjoying that secluded time. There were also bigger group style fire-pits if you wanted to sit around and chat with friends. Birds, tree frogs, insects, etc... Of course, it's a tropical island they are all around and I read many complaints about it but didn't notice anything to complain about. I enjoyed the sounds of frogs at night and birds in the morning, it was not overwhelming in our room. Maybe some rooms aren't insulated as much or people are super light sleepers which I consider myself a pretty light sleeper. We did bring repellent but barely used it, they spray resort every day at 4PM, definitely bring your own though, and suntan lotion unless you want to pay 30 bucks for it at the gift shop. Overall the hotel itself and the grounds were very nice we loved walking around and no matter where you were on property it was beautiful.

Watersports. We did snorkeling and sailing through them and had a great time on both. My wife never snorkeled before and since she wanted a 10 minute snorkel lesson we had to pay $25.00 bucks for that. I found that very weird, it's not scuba and did not take any time to show her how so I think it's silly to charge $25.00 and put it down as an activity on the daily flyer like its included. Now where I give the watersports great praise is "Justin". We headed over to the watersports pavilion after our Xtreme tour got messed up and told Justin we were looking for something to do since our day just got ruined by our reservation being lost. Justin really went above and beyond when he heard that. He offered sailing as a suggestion and when we were skeptical he said he would personally show us how to do it and spent a good hour showing us. He was amazing, offered a very fun and good lesson and we were on our way sailing in no time and able to take the Hobie cats anytime we wanted the rest of our stay. He really turned what started out as a crappy morning completely around by being so friendly and almost making it his mission to change our attitude for the day. If the management at Sandals is reading this please go thank Justin.

Island Routes and Managements Response to issues was not satisfactory during my short 5 night stay. This is where I originally deducted the most from my rating. I left this in my updated review because even though it was all resolved, it wasn't resolved during my stay, but Sandals is constantly working on correcting issues from feedback like this. I booked my Island Routes Xtreme Circumnavigation boat tour reservation months in advance. I received a somewhat generic initial email confirmation from Island Routes asking me to confirm the reservation upon arrival but then a day or two later they actually called me to finalize and confirm the reservation. We discussed through voicemails and emails the dates and then I was sent a final email from Island Routes now stating everything was set and fully confirmed. When I showed up for my tour on May 21st after planning all my activities around this day I found out I was not on the boat and my reservation didn't exist. Eventually they found my reservation but I still was not on the boat that day. They did get me on the next day, which sadly was a windier day with choppier water and this next day also made me reschedule other activities we had planned. I asked if management was going to offer any compensation for ruining our plans for the day and I was told the manager was on another Island and they would email her to ask. I went back the following days to ask but only "Gem", the person at the desk who emailed the manager, could give me an update and no one else would tell me anything. So now I am spending vacation time trying to track down Gem each day. I gave up after two days with no resolution. I also emailed Charmaine who I worked with confirming the reservation, and emailed Island Routes from their website. Sandals knows my room number and they know how to contact me I so shouldn't be bending over backwards to find them and being a "5 star resort" they should be all about customer service and satisfaction so this was a failure to me during my stay and if we choose a non-sandals resort for our anniversary next year this is why. (UPDATE: I was eventually called back from the Island Routes manager and she offered an apology and asked what could be done to reconcile the situation. I wish this occurred during my stay and it may have if she was on property during this whole fiasco but she was on another Island. Regardless, I appreciate the delayed response and the resolution, she was very pleasant and eager to resolve the issue. It does make a difference when it's time to book our anniversary and we will most likely be doing another Sandals stay next May and I will give Island Routes another try as well).

Return trip to the airport was in a much nicer van with AC. There was a small line to checkout and finalize bill and checkout went smoothly. We left the hotel 2.5 hours before our flight so we had a good 2 hours doing nothing in the airport. Right after we checked in a few big groups came in so I can see how you could get stuck in a check-in line for an hour or so since the AA Kiosks were very very slow. Sandals probably doesn't want to be responsible for you missing your flight so they make sure you get there plenty early enough. Bring some dollars as trip to and from airport is probably the only time you will tip.

Travel Agent. I didn't use Sandals direct as I read consistent reviews on Trip Advisor about Ruth DeMuth of TripGuy Travel, LLC. She was great and I liked the idea of being able to call or discuss any issues before, during, or after our trip with someone who cares and someone who specializes in Caribbean travel. We narrowed our search down to a few Islands before contacting Ruth and she had some good input for resorts on each Island and background on each Island. At the end of the day we drew Sandals Antigua out of a hat of 4 choices (2 of those in the hat were Sandals properties). There is no extra fee for booking through an agent. I forgot about booking my excursions through Ruth and wish I had as she would have double checked and confirmed in advance for me and been able to handle the issue if it were to have happened booking through her.

My rating. I deducted half a point for the whole tour situation being screwed up and another half a point for the miscellaneous little items. 4 out of 5 overall. My previous review I only gave it 3 out of 5 due to NO response from management on my tour day being messed up but since that was resolved a week later I changed my rating. Wife would have rated this stay a little higher, between 4 and 5.

Room Tip: We loved Caribbean Beach Front, it's older but the views is what we wanted and you get a great v...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank CJDREW
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

My wife and I have been to many all inclusive vacations in the Caribbean for about 25 years and have experienced the good and bad of many of the resorts that we have stayed at, but Sandals Antigua tops them all.
We decided to use the butler service, as this vacation was a special one marking our 50th anniversary.
Although the butler service is not really necessary, it was really different having someone attend to your needs such as having a cabana reserved for you on the beach or pool or bringing beverages to you no matter where you are.
The staff at this resort went above and beyond to make sure that all your needs are taken care of in timely fashion.
We stayed in the poinsietta building which was a few steps from the beach. The rooms are very well appointed with a king size bed and a refrigerator stocked with any type of drink that you request. As far the restaurants are concerned, the food at every restaurant we was superb. I could go on and on about this resort, but I'll keep it short and say that that if you want a very memorable vacation, do not hesitate to consider staying here. I neglected to say that we were here the last week in May.

Room Tip: Pointsietta rooms were convienent to access all areas of the resort.
4 Thank surfmiser
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband & I went to Antigua for a babymoon. This is a beautiful quiet island with very welcoming & hospitable locals. The resort is beautiful & well groomed. We stayed on the updated Mediterranean side, but the exterior of the Caribbean side appeared well maintained.

Room: the room was spacious with gorgeous dark woods and well spaced furnishings. The shower was fine for one, but too tight for 2. There is only a rain shower head which my husband loved, but I like the shower head from the wall. There could also be more hooks/racks in the bathroom , but we made do. The rooms were slow to be cleaned daily even if we left the room early. The refrigerator remained well stocked with all beverages including bottled water.

Restaurants: my husband enjoyed every meal he had, but I found the food to be average. We ate at all the restaurants except Soy. The exception to this is Kimonos. I was delightfully surprised by the taste and portions of the food. Of note, this is a group dinner, not just you and your significant other. Also, the birds can be a bit annoying at Bayside for breakfast, but Mario's offers the same breakfast buffet indoors.

Bars: (per my husband) bartenders were are friendly and want to please you, but the alcohol was watered down. This is not necessarily a bad thing as you should be careful about drinking in the sun. There are bars all over the resort.

Beach: I'm far more of a beach girl than a pool grill. The beach was immaculate. The sand was soft, the water clears, and there is plenty of covered seating (more than what the website shows). This can be challenging to get as people will reserve spots early in the morning, so be prepared. If you have a butler, they will reserve a location for you.

Pool: also be aware of reserved seating at the main Mediterranean pool. This is the most popular pool. The Caribbean pool is isolated but quiet.

Overall we had a wonderful trip that was relaxed. Everything we needed was provided. The customer service was excellent. I would recommend this location to friends that needed relaxation, not partying.

2 Thank Najgeenap
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and I came here for a week in November 2013 for our 20th anniversary. What a great place to vacation. The weather in Antigua is amazing and the resort is clean and fun. There is plenty to do here and it is very easy to relax. We have been to other Beaches and Sandals resorts throughout our married lives and the difference between all of them is slight. But Antigua is amazing. The rooms were all new and the resort is large. The breakfast in the morning was buffet style and it was really nice to sit outside by the beach and enjoy the first meal of the day. We would then meet up with friends we met and have multiple drinks and oven cooked pizza for lunch. The pool is very clean and enjoyable. I will be honest, the meals at night are small but very tasty. You can eat all day if you wanted. Even though we did not do this, I suggest you get out on a tour of the island. All of our friends did it and all had a great time, we just could not fit it into our schedule. The resort is about 40 minutes from the airport and the only issue we had was returning to the airport, it is very small and very unorganized. Takes a long time to get to the gate. There are vendors on the beach that constantly keep asking you for jet ski rides or tours but they do not bother you for too long and are common place for resorts like Sandals. The sunsets are amazing and the you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Get out of the room early in the morning and reserve a chair. They have butler service people out th...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,604 reviews

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!