“Excellent All Inclusive”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Excellent All Inclusive”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had a wonderful week at Sandals. We met three other couples there and had really good time connecting with some old friends and making new ones. The resort itself is meticulously maintained. The landscaping is beautiful, our room was nice and everything worked as it should. The staff was superb. Everyone was friendly, helpful and seemed to do what ever was required to make the guest happy. As the week went on you developed a rapport with the folks you interacted with regularly. My wife used the spa twice, and the technician she liked the first time rearranged her schedule to make sure she was available for her second visit. The food was good, and clearly a cut above the stereo type of all-inclusive. The jerk pork at Barefoot may be one of the better lunches on any island. I would stick to the seafood and dishes with a local flavor - at least that is my bias. The beach dinner/BBQ was excellent. We did two days "off-resort": one on a day sail, and one at English Harbor and in town at St. John. The Wadadli Cats circumnavigation cruise is a must do - you can book it at the activities desk or independently. On a kind of rainy day we explored the island - the concierge arranged a cab for the day and he dropped us off and picked us up where and when we wanted. It is good to see the island beyond the resort. The resort controlled part of the airport transfer process worked like a well oiled machine - too bad they don't control Antiguan immigration (patience and realize you're on a tropical island). An all-inclusive is not our thing every year (we spend a lot of time in the VI and typically rent a condo and are a bit more independent), but Sandals was excellent and we'd definitely do it again for our next all inclusive.

7 Thank Ray B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,784)
  • Polish first
Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We couldn't have chosen a better honeymoon spot. The people were all so nice and the beaches are simply breathtaking from the smooth sand to the crystal clear water. We stayed 8 days and it wasn't long enough. We had a Club Level Walk out Suite on the Mediterranean side and highly recommend it. The concierge service was great and the room was fabulous. My husband and I both agreed to return on our 1 year anniversary!

Room Tip: Mediterranean Club Level Walk out Rooms offer a higher level of service and are on the newer side of...
5 Thank jodieannewilson
Swansboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We visited this Sandals for our belated honeymoon in early June 2014, and it was the most amazing trip we've ever taken. I work in a hotel so I'm always attentive to how the staff treats the guests, the service the hotel provides, etc. This Sandals BEYOND exceeded our expectations. They staff was so friendly, you couldn't pass anyone on staff without a "good morning!" or "how are you today?". The rooms were so well kept, we stayed on the Carribbean side in a walkout suite and it was perfect! They in-room bars that are re-stocked daily were my husband's favorite part! The bars all over the resort were perfect, and they didn't skimp on the alcohol in the drinks just because they were included in the price. The beach was PERFECT except the local vendors. As long as you say "no Thank you" to anyone trying to sell you something they are very polite and walk away. Everyone on the islad was beyond friendly, and the resort made you feel like you were really a part of the Antiguan culture. It was just amazing. We are planning our "honeymoon squared" with another couple we met at the resort for next summer. We loved this place and I would advise anyone looking for a honeymoon destination to book here!

Room Tip: The Mediterranean side is new, but it is pretty much just a hotel. The Carribbean side is in the mi...
4 Thank ashlynnr227
Apache Junction, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Sandals Grande Antigua, what a wonderful place to vacation. From the friendliness of the local people to the great service from the staff, this is just one more place on the to "return visit list". This was our first "All Inclusive" Sandals resort stay, and it won't be our last. From the experience we received from Sandals Grande Antigua Resort and Spa, we are looking into other Sandals Resorts. If you go,
to Sandals Grande Antigua, look for these staff members to make your stay even more nice because of the kind, friendly attitude and above and beyond approach to their jobs, Lobby attendant Leonard, pool bar waitress Akiko, bartender Marie-Louise, pizza restaurant manager Anika, and front desk Phillip, these were the people that made us feel as though we were family members, making our stay much nicer than it would have been without their presence. A great place to vacation! Go there!

Room Tip: All rooms face the beach.....so in my opinion, all rooms are good.
3 Thank TINNERSMC
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We traveled the last week in March and were looking for a place we could relax and be spoiled. We did receive all that plus more. We learned how to sail (not very good but nonetheless we managed) and Robert's patience was fantastic. He was also easy to talk to and if the weather hadn't gotten bad, he was going to work with us some more on the sailing. We went snorkeling twice and it was a group of 10 and we went to a private section of the coral reef. Really got to explore the area without a crowd of people. The food was great and they really went out of their way to make sure I had gluten free selections at every meal. The staff was wonderful and extremely helpful. That includes Mitty, Stanley and Anthony and many others. This was very important as we were the only gay couple at the resort and they made us feel very welcomed. We wish we had known from the beginning we could have gotten a different bed as it was a very tall bed and we are short. Plus we had trouble with wifi in the room but no problem around the resort public places. The only complaint I have is that it is nearly impossible to get a shaded space to relax as all the chairs seemed to be held for others. This was difficult for me as I needed to stay in the shade as much as possible since I am recovering from chemo and radiation treatment. The beach is not private but vendors have to be licensed and adhere to strict rules. We found no problems with the vendors. However the crew that hung out to sell rides on the jet ski were crude, disrespectful of the women and generally disgusting to be near. To be fair they were not employees of Sandals. Sandals staff were the complete opposite of these men; kind, courteous, informative and great at remember who you are and what you needs are. I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Deborah C
Milton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We are Diamond guests, having stayed at Sandals/Beaches for over 10 years now. This is our 3rd trip to Sandals Grande Antigua. Karen B. arranged for us to have private transportation to and from the airport! Thank you my dear friend! Upon arrival we are to be taken to our room for check in with champagne & snacks waiting for us. Not only did this NOT happen, the Mediterrainean check in area was mass chaos... The employees would ask your name & then disappear as if they were only to help a certain guest... We were NOT greeted with cool towels as is the normal welcome and we had to ASK for champagne while waiting...this wasn't a good start to our vacation... Jenny, one of the hotel interns, took us to our room. A little while later, Omari knocked on the door & apologized, as he was to have taken us to our room for check in, not Jenny. He brought chocolates & welcomed us "home". We stayed in 5310. We had an unobstructed view of the main pool & ocean, & no problem with smokers this year, so enjoyed our balcony, unlike our last visit. Housekeeping CONTINUES to be a BIG problem. Most days our room was NOT cleaned until AFTER 3pm. I just can't understand this...Even after speaking to the housekeeping supervisor, we only had one day that our room was done by NOON...This is UNACCEPTABLE. We were told they don't start cleaning rooms until 9am. For those of us diving, we are out of our rooms at 7:30am & want to come back to a CLEAN room by noon. We only had Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee the first day in the room. The rest was Maxwell House. Now come on...this is "Luxury"??? I don't buy MH at home & I sure didn't enjoy it on my vacation... I was told the container ship had been delayed... This happened with vanilla at Cafe' Paris on the last trip. How about contracting with Starbucks or another well known coffee company when you are out of Blue Mountain?? Details, Details, Details... Rochelle, a Sous Chef met me in the room later our first day to set up my gluten free dining schedule. You are a delightful young woman who will do well serving your guests! Thank you for your care, concern & true understanding of nutrition! You went ABOVE & BEYOND our first evening, bringing lobster dinner from Eleanors to our room as you knew how tired we were from being up nearly 48 hours travelling to Antigua!!! Also, frying a platter of plantain in GF oil.. what a treat! Thank you so much!!! Our dinner at OK Corral that you personally prepared for us was delightful! Unfortunately, the communication that you sent to other restaurants either did not happen or took too much time...I waited all week for a GF hamburger bun at the Barefoot & never received one... It took Anika at the Pizzeria midweek helping me to understand that I needed to request a GF pizza crust at Mario's in the morning at breakfast so it would be thawed for lunchtime....As divers, we only had about 45 minutes between dives to eat lunch, so couldn't wait 30 minutes for a crust to thaw... Anika is AMAZING!! Once she understood our diving schedule, she took it upon herself to put in our order and have the pizzas WAITING for us when we arrived between dives!!! EXCELLENT job and always with a smile!! As I have mentioned in the past, I bring a small gift and watch for an employee who takes GENUINE pride in his/her job. Anika was my recipient this year! She had an EXCELLENT mentor, as in 2012, Spice (now in Eleanor's, congrats on your promotion!!), received our recognition! We still need Anika to jump in the "pond" & go diving with us! The nurse sharks don't bite!!! Kudos to our dive team! We love you all! Fern, we are so glad to have a female dive instructor to keep the "boys" in line! Welcome to the team! Please keep sending us pictures to entice us to return! We had a dive computer battery fail & requested to buy a new one off site as there wasn't one at the resort. Karen B. and Omari went out of their way to help us. Unfortunately, the person delivering the battery, deposited it at the WRONG room & it took over 24 hours to get it to us. Steve had to use a resort regulator that had problems & Steve ended up with a cough that continued the rest of the week & since we returned home... DETAILS!!! As we all discussed, better communication is needed between divers & dive team...having our night dive cancelled was a BIG disappointment, especially for Bella, as BOTH Thursday night dives were cancelled during her stay...PLEASE announce the night dive EVERY morning AND afternoon & tell them your expectations: Each diver MUST sign up and charge the $80.00 to their room BEFORE Thursday to GUARANTEE 5 people are going. This way, everyone is on the same page & you won't have VERY UNHAPPY guests... Troy, water sports manager, I am very disappointed that you were unwilling to step out of your office when you had 7, yes SEVEN very disgruntled guests waiting for a night dive... You had Jason, a boat captain, AND Fern, a dive instructor, BOTH WILLING to take us out on Thursday night when they knew how upset we were...We had all changed our dinner reservations/activities to accommodate our night dive... Please ask Sandals for additional management training to assist you when these type of situations arise and pick up a copy of "The One Minute Manager" as I believe it is a good book to refer to. Let's just say, "I miss Tiny" and leave it at that. Thank you to Jason, Ray & Iverness for taking all 8 of us out night diving the next night...yes, we recruited 2 newly certified divers, but had to wish Bella "safe travels" back to the UK. We dined at Eleanors twice as I love lobster! My biggest disappointment was that we were celebrating BOTH my birthday AND our wedding anniversary & neither were recognized... In 2012 our table was adorned with rose petals, etc... DETAILS make guests feel SPECIAL... Why do you ask if you are celebrating anything special & then completely IGNORE what the guest has written??? Service was also slow at Eleanor's, so had to take my dessert in hand to meet friends in a timely manner...We are VERY disappointed at the name change from Cricketeers Pub to Drunken Duck. I am not sure who decided this, but PLEASE consider changing it back... The new name isn't what we want the pub to be known for AND we MISS Shepards pie...The service was still very good & the care with gluten free dining was WONDERFUL! We attended a Club Sandals cocktail party where we "won" a free 5x7 photo, but never received a coupon... Luckily the photo shop took our word & gave us a free photo. I had requested a photo shoot on 6/19 for 6/20 at 5:30pm at the dive shop for our group of night divers on Friday. NO ONE showed up... We had one of the divers use their camera. One, Sandals missed out on potential revenue... Two, we aren't impressed when we make a request & it isn't honored.. We enjoyed the SSG cocktail party & dinner! Unfortunately, no GF snacks were available...Please consider making at least one in the future. We enjoyed sitting with Nico and hope that he will pursue getting swimming lessons to be made available for staff & and residents. It still boggles my mind how many residents are either afraid of the water or don't know how to swim...and we pay so much money to come play in the "pond"... Mr. G, I was introduced to you by Karen B. at the beach party, so was glad to have had that opportunity! I was disappointed that you did NOT attend the SSG dinner. As we were leaving you mentioned you had been in a managers meeting. If it is not too bold for me to say, I believe a managers meeting could be re-scheduled so that you are present to engage with your returning guests. If others are like me, we appreciate having the opportunity to chat. I was encouraged to seek you out on several occasions due to poor service either to us directly or to other first time guests. I chose not to as I didn't feel welcomed after your absence at the SSG dinner. Scotty did give us a call the night before departure & I did explain some of my concerns... especially what other divers on their honeymoon had experienced. He gave the standard answer, "sorry 'bout that". I wouldn't want to have his job... We suggested to our new friends to respond to Sandals inquiry & write on TA as well if they are inclined. As I tell others, being a Diamond Guest at Sandals/Beaches, I take pride in this company & am very disappointed when I see poor service. I hope these concerns will be addressed. Thank you so, so much to all those who went the extra mile for us!! We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Room Tip: We like the Mediterrainean side on at least the 3rd floor so you have a view of the ocean!
5 Thank Karen B
Naugatuck, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I'm going to start off saying that this is a very long, but in depth review of Sandals Grande Antigua. It is basically a description of our entire stay, but we had such an amazing time, we want to pass on the message to everyone else! If you don't feel like reading a long story then this isn't the review for you. We hope that this helps and everyone enjoys!

Our time there: Got to the airport, had to step off the plane onto the runway, don't take any pictures, they will yell at you, from here you go through customs and then to your sandals desk, where you go into a shuttle van with a few other couples, and then its off to the races to get to the resort! These drivers were flying on the roads, felt like there was a prize if they got there in a certain amount of time. Off of the shuttle, and greeted with cool towels and champagne. I think there was some confusion when we first arrived, because from the reviews we read, anyone with butlers went to a separate area, we were with everyone else however, no biggie, but when they realized their mistake there was a lot of whispering and a butler greeted us immediately after. Our butler's name was Geoffrey, and our other would be Cecil. Geoffrey took us around a little bit showing us part of the resort, and explaining how our room wasn't quite ready yet, we went to bayside for a buffet lunch. After about an hour, Geoffrey came over to us and took us to our room. We had a beachfront rondoval, steps away from the beach, the pictures online are a bit deceiving, we thought our front steps would be the beach right there, however still close enough. When in our room Geoffrey went over all the details for the week, provided us with our reservations list and our reservation for the Romantic Sunset Cruise we booked ahead of time. He gave us a cellphone in which we can call him with. After about 20-30 mins of minor details to finish up and go through, he left us for the time being. In our room was champagne chilling in a bucket of ice and we had a plate of cheese, crackers, and fruits. Went to the beach for the rest of the afternoon, the palm shades are the way to go, we requested one everyday we went to the beach. When we came back to our room to get ready for dinner, we noticed a trail of ants on our window in the shower, going up to the ceiling. We called our butler, he came over to see for himself, and he then notified housekeeping to spray. We knew it was inevitable being in the location we are in, but a trail like that needed to be taken care of. After dinner we checked back in our room, knowing there was a turn down service, and the ants were still there, called the butler again, and housekeeping came soon after and sprayed when we were out for some desert. Didn't see anymore for the rest of the time! The next day we went to the beach, and called our butler for a palm shade the night before. They get them ready, and have towels placed with a sign that they are reserved for you (they only hold until 11am) and then they are free game for anyone else. It took us about 5-10 minutes to find our spot. When we met up with our butler, Cecil this time, he told us to just call them when we want to go there and they will walk us over! That day we went to the pizzeria for lunch, after all the rave reviews they had we figured we would try it out right away, it was pretty good pizza, but nothing amazing, still good though. When we came back to our room in the late afternoon to get ready for dinner we had a bubble bath with flowers scattered throughout with two swans making a heart and a heart made from the floor mat with light music playing and a bottle of champagne chilling with a fruit and cheese plate. What a great way to unwind after the beach. That night we went to OK Corral, a tex-mex restaurant which was excellent, their famous margaritas however were nothing to go crazy for. This night we called our butler and asked for a spot by the pool for the next morning, and asked about coolers since we noticed alot of people having them, they will basically stock it with whatever you want, we just got sodas, juices, and waters, since we weren't crazy about the beer, and there is always people asking if you want a drink and a swim up bar not too far away. We had a perfect spot, first row to the pool, steps away from the swim-up bar! We called this time to have our butler show us where to go! Geoffrey took us over, and had a swan made out of towels and a flower awaiting for us with our cooler of requests. That night we had reservations for Eleanors for later on that night, so we decided to try Soy, the sushi bar before hand. Sushi here is fantastic. Eleanors is their fanciest restaurant, where you have to get pretty dressed up, no worries, we did everynight anyways! When at the restaurant a gentleman approaches you when you sit down and shows you a wine list. We both ordered a glass of the same and said it would be cheaper to buy the bottle. Buy the bottle?! We are on an all inclusive vacation, house white wine will be just fine! Dinner was fantastic, and the lobster tail dinner was huge! Biggest lobster tail we have ever had! We came back to our room later that night to have wine chilling in an ice bucket. The next day we went to the beach this time, switching it up again, with our cooler, however it was pouring out, actually woke us out of sleep. We made the best of it though, and huddled up under the palm shade, able to stay pretty dry still unless the wind blows. This lasted all morning, we got lunch, and took it back to our room, our butler dropped off a plate of deserts at this time as well. Soon after the sun came out! The rain here may last a few minutes to a few hours, but gets to be sunny afterwards and your able to make a great day out of a rainy start. Dinner that night was at Marios. An Italian restaurant. Before we went, our butler called us to confirm we are going to Mario's for dinner and for 6:30pm, because he had a table ready for us. When we arrived we were seated, and noted nothing different, but some tables in the middle were decorated with flowers, and cards. We asked our server about them, and they noticed their mistake, and one of those tables were for us. There were flowers spread out and a card from our butlers. We also noticed other tables having the same issue, and their butlers came themselves and moved them to the correct spot. Definetly make it known you have reservations from your butler when you arrive at a restaurant. Food here was great, there is an antipasta buffet for appetizer, and the lava cake for desert was amazing as well as all of the food there! We went to the drunken duck after dinner to play some pool, and when we got back to our room there was a plate of deserts on our bed. The next morning we decided to do the pool again, got 2 perfect chairs right against the edge, with our cooler there waiting. Cecil our butler came and greeted us and asked how everything was thus far, he explained what we needed to do for the Romantic Sunset Cruise we booked. Lunch we did pizza again since we wanted to hang out by the pool as much as possible today, to soak up that sun! It did rain a bit again today but stopped shortly after and the sun was out soon after! When we got back to our room to get ready for our Romantic Sunset Cruise (which will be reviewed separately - and by no means was it romantic - do not reccommend) we were delivered a tray of hummus by our butler Cecil. This day our room was never cleaned by housekeeping, they did come by at 3pm, but we were getting ready and told them we would be leaving in a few minutes, we only had a turn down service today. That night we went to Kimonos, and once there is 10 people you get taken to a hibachi room. The rooms get a little hot with the grill right there, but it was a fun time and you get to meet some new people! Our chef was Sugar who was amazing. He would sing songs and at one point the whole room was singing Journey - Dont Stop Believing with him! He made the night much more enjoyable, and the food was great as well! The next day we went to the beach, since this was one of the best/hottest days, so we wanted to get the most out of it, we got a spot under the straw umbrellas this time, the water was perfect. Had lunch over at bayside, and then got back to our room in the late afternoon to find two swans and flowers on our patio table, and in our room another swan with flowers, a fruit and cheese plate, and champagne chilling in the ice bucket. We went for an early dinner tonight at barefoot by the sea. Beautiful location right next to the beach, atmosphere was pleasant, everyone very nice there. The food here was excellent as well, we both got the seafood platter, however very small portions, 2 mussles, 3 shrimp, and fish, and a ton of mashed potatoes, but overall very delicious. We were able to see a couple get married on the beach as well while eating which was nice. Went to cafe de paris for desert again, great as always. Afterwards back to our room to open up that champagne from earlier, before we head out to the drunken duck for a late night dinner and some entertainment. The next morning was our last day so we decided to do the beach all day, before that though we would head over to Eleanors for breakfast again, and then to the beach. Weather and water both perfect today! Lunch we did Bayside again, only because of their variety everyday, and back to the beach we went. We went to Soy for some sushi again tonight, before our dinner, the sushi here was great just like the first time. Dinner tonight was at Bayside as well, however dinner they do a-la-cart instead. The food here was excellent, service did move a little slower here, but it was nice having a table right on the edge overlooking the beach. There were a few cats roaming around the restaurant, but no real bother, the staff kept up with them. We got back and started to pack unfortunately for our return trip home the next day, our butler Cecil came to wish us goodbye as he would be off the next day. He explained everything we needed to do and get ready for and departure time for the next day, and dropped off a plate of deserts for us one last time. Our final morning we woke up early to head to the pool to try and get some last minute sun. Checked out at the desk, paid any room balances, and then head over to Marios one last time for breakfast. After you head to the lobby and await for your van to come pick you up. Our butler Geoffrey brought our bags down for us as we ate breakfast, and came by to wish us goodbye and our farewells.

Other information: The fire pits at night are a great way to unwind and relax with a drink. There are chairs and lounge beds where you can cuddle up on. Also, you may notice there are cats here as well, many though seem to be used to all the people, some people would even pet them. One afternoon when my wife and I were playing cards on our patio a little black cat came up to see what we were doing, he came up to me and nuzzled against my leg. We were eating crackers, so gave him one, we knew you probably shouldnt feed them, but we felt bad for him even though they probably find enough food here! Every so often you would see one laying around or walking by, however, they would never cause any problem. The birds on the other hand are a different story. The open air restaurants have workers with wooden sticks manning the food to keep any birds away. One point I went up for seconds and three birds surrounded my wife stalking my old plate. They would be all over the place, the beach, bathing in the pools, and in the restaurants, this was pretty much the biggest nuiscance of the week. One bird even drank out of my wife's cup while at the pool. The vendors on the beach are not as bad as many people say they are, yes they are annoying, but they are friendly, and a simple no thank you is all, and they will move along; one even let us know we forgot our sandals as we were leaving. It is a public beach, so they have the right to be there, but there are security guards posted at every opening to the beach. We also didnt have any vendors ask us for food or drinks like others have said even with our cooler out. Most of them are very friendly, and even against sandals recommendations, many people buy things from them. Like I said this is a public beach, and even though sandals is an adult only resort, there were families from other resorts that would walk over to our beach and set up shop there with kids and such. Not that there isnt anything wrong with that, but we figured we wouldnt see any kids this entire time. The water here is crystal clear, able to see your feet in the water, even past your waist! Not too many waves, however alot of sandals boats are always coming and going with tours and excursions, and they park pretty close to where everyone is swimming.

Pros: Favorites: Breakfast - Eleanors; their eggs benedict were absolutely amazing. Lunch - Bayside; for the variety and chanhing options daily. Dinner - Eleanors, and Barefoot by the Sea; I would say Eleanors first, their lobster dinner was great and huge, if Barefoot provided more seafood for the meal then that would have been the winner. Desert - great everywhere!

We loved the butler service. Geoffrey and Cecil were both great! We were a little skeptical at first for using the butlers, and hesitant to use them, we are very independent people, but it is nice to have things planned and done for you in advance, takes away the stress. Our best advice is dont be afraid to ask for anything, they will either try their hardest to grant your request, or if not find something similar. They work very hard, so sometimes they may need to call you back or will take a few minutes to do something, but they are taking care of a few rooms at once as well. We chose to tip at the end only, we didnt feel that anything was different by not tipping in the beginning like others have said.
We also booked our 1 year vacation through the Soon Come Back desk, and signed up for sandals rewards. Definitely look into this as you can get a pretty good deal for a future vacations, and they are always running promotions.

Cons: We also never got the turn down service we were told for the first night, which was supposed to include flower petals over our bed. We were also supposed to receive breakfast in bed one morning, we did order it on our own 2 days before departure, so not exactly sure if this counts or not, but it was never said to us we were supposed to receive it like our documents stated.

Overall this was a perfect honeymoon for my wife and I. From the moment we arrived, until the time we left, everything here was wonderful. From all the staff, to our wonderful butlers Geoffrey and Cecil, everything went smooth and we enjoyed every moment. We hope to soon come back and spend more time on this wonderful island.

10 Thank Mike C
#1 of 3 in Bolans
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philips

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!