“Great escape”

Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Overall a great couples resort. I would highly recommend the concierge upgrade for check in alone, it speeds up the process. We stayed in one of the walk out rooms with a great view of the ocean, and the room was small but perfect, not paying to stay in the room anyway. The pools were large and there was enough on the property that they were never crowded. The only thing I could think of that could be improved was the food. I am strictly comparing to Sandals in St Lucia and the food quality there was better, but the same style restaurants at both resorts. I would highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Highly recommend concierge service. Did not stay in the Med Village so I can advise on the accomida...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alr2727

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Sandals Antigua is a beautiful area to visit. However, the staff we encountered are a huge disappointment! Definitely not welcoming at all. No effort was made on their part to offer assistance or make you feel special...even a simple 'Hello" was nonexistent.
The staff make you feel as though you are a bother - not a good atmosphere.

With this being said, the chef at Eleanors is great and cares about those with food allergies. The Wedding Coordinators are great as well. So.....if you only eat at Eleanor's and require help to plan a wedding ceremony - it's great. But do not expect any 'warm and fuzzies' from any other staff. They are rude.

To the CEO of Sandals ...train your Antigua staff to CARE about your guests!

Never visiting another Sandals again. Gave 2 Stars only for the Eleanor's chef and the Wedding Coordinators.

5  Thank Toadloaf
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Hello and thank you for reaching out to us about your stay at Sandals Grande Antigua.
We are deeply disappointed to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay and if you felt unwelcomed at any point. Our guests often remark that the reason they return frequently is because they receive such excellent service and we are saddened to note that your experience was not similar. For this, we apologize. We realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process. Our management team will follow up in this matter and ensure that we do not receive the same feedback in the future. We encourage our staff to go the extra mile to ensure our guests are happy and we hope you will afford us another opportunity on a future visit to demonstrate this commitment.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I just got back my from my AMAZING honeymoon at Sandals Grand Antigua. Words can't express what a phenomenal time my husband and I had. This was a delayed trip for us since we got married back in April - and we have had a hectic few months with buying a house, packing and moving. This honeymoon was just what we needed to forget about our worries and just relax and enjoy each other!

We booked the Butler service/Caribbean Rondoval on the beach for 10 days. It was nothing short of fantastic! We were totally pampered and spoiled by our butlers - although it was a little weird at first lol. You can certainly do w/out them but it was our way of splurging since it's probably our last BIG trip for quite some time. They set up our beach or pool chairs every morning (reserved so we got whatever spot we wanted). They also gave us a cooler filled with our favorite drinks. They made our dinner reservations when necessary, decorated our dinner tables. Treats and surprises in our room every day. Brought us lunch at the pool if we didn't want to get up. Talk about spoiled!

The grounds, people, and service at Sandals were so wonderful. We were greeted with smiles every where we went. Food was SO good - and my picky husband had NO complaints - which is a huge feat! We ate really well and abundantly...to the point where I am avoiding wearing anything w/zippers or buttons for the next couple of weeks as I know I def gained weight! LOL. Well worth the few extra pounds though :)

all in all - I absolutely LOVED our honeymoon and wouldn't have changed one single thing. I totally recommend this resort to anyone that wants a relaxing, beautiful trip.

1  Thank Winnie F
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Hello and thank you for your great review, Winnie!
It was a privilege to have hosted your honeymoon stay at Sandals Grande Antigua and that after a bit of a wait, you were able to enjoy every moment of it! It's our goal to not just meet expectation but to exceed them and we are delighted to see that this was indeed the case during your visit. We hope you will "soon come back" and we look forward to creating more memorable vacation experiences with you!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I recently stayed at Sandals Antigua for 5 nights. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous, with beautiful flowers all over. The rooms are very large and well appointed. The rondivals are smaller, however. The food, depending on where you ate, ranged from good to excellent. Mario's has a fabulous antipasto buffet at dinnertime, that is excellent. Eleanor's, also was extremely good. There is a French pastry shop with ice cream that is open all day, and so good. The beach is perfect with very calm turqouise water, no rocks, and you can see to the bottom.
All in all, it is a great vacation!

Room Tip: I would only avoid Rondeval.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you for your review, Mindy!
We are thrilled to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at Sandals Grande Antigua and had a great time exploring the beautiful property and all its offerings. We love to hear our guests boast about our luxurious accommodations, delectable dining options, beautiful property and the wonderful personality and hospitality of our staff. We cannot wait to welcome you back for another stellar vacation experience!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

This all inclusive resort is beautiful, clean, and peaceful. The staff were friendly and helpful. Claudia is a cheerful lady who works at the British pub and gave us big hugs upon entering. She makes you feel welcome and is fun to chat with. The staff are very attentive to your needs. My husband and I had a Club Level room, which I highly recommend. Upon our arrival we were immediately taken to a separate cottage and given champagne and cold face cloths while we checked in. In the meantime our luggage was delivered to our room and we were glad to have it out of our hands! We had a mini bar and refrigerator and room service was included. Unless you are there during a very busy time of year and need someone to snag lounge chairs for you early in the morning, then you probably don't need a butler. We did not have one and did not feel like we were missing out. We even got a private car from the airport, even though that was not part of the club level price. That was a nice, lucky surprise! Our vacation was the second week of July and there were plenty of places to sit by the pool or on the beach at any time of day. You are literally not allowed to tip people at the resort, (except the butlers, drivers, and spa professionals) which made everything easier and more relaxing.

In order to improve the resort experience I would have liked to see better nightly entertainment and some better quality food. Don't get me wrong, the food was delicious! However, a lot of the flavors were the same, especially the desserts (same filling, different color). Our favorite place to eat was probably Bayside and the iced coffee at Café de Paris was delicious! At Eleanor's we enjoyed lobster. But seriously, it's all inclusive, so if you want to order 2 entrees, do it! Also, I would have liked it if the towels were stocked more frequently by the pools and if there were more floats for the pool (since people tended to hoard those items). Finally, daily "fogging exercises" were performed where employees sprayed all of the grounds to keep mosquitoes away. It usually worked, but I'm not a fan of breathing that spray and when we heard the machine we pretty much all ran inside. There were 2 nights that we experienced a lot of mosquitoes and the girls were getting bitten on their legs but not the boys. I counted 62 bites on my legs and feet. In general I don't get bitten much and these bites took about 2-3 weeks to clear up...weird. I'd recommend bringing bug spray and anti itch cream with you (it cost us like $25 to buy there).

My husband and I went on 1 excursion while at the resort and it was awesome! It was a circumnavigation tour of the island on a high speed boat. We also rented jet skis a couple of times and zipped around the bay by the resort. These activities were not part of the resort and therefore did cost extra money. We don't travel with much cash, but beware, getting cash at Sandals is not easy. There is no ATM. A person is allowed to get cash from the front desk once per stay, with a 10% fee, and a maximum withdrawal of $100.

On the excursion several other passengers told us they were staying at different resorts around the island and expressed disappointment. Apparently their resorts had very limited dining options, basically no nightly entertainment, and the island was pretty void of tourists in July so they were a bit lonely. Needless to say that made us especially happy that we had made the right choice in staying at Sandals! I would say Sandals was definitely worth the money we paid for our trip and we certainly hope to go to Sandals again! When we were leaving one of the people we met while there came up to us and said that she had just visited the "See You Soon" desk. Apparently they were offering an amazing deal at a newly renovated Sandals and you could put a fully refundable deposit of $400 down to reserve this special. We were about 2 minutes away from going to the airport or may have taken advantage of that. Next time I think I'll scope out the "See You Soon" desk earlier! This was a very relaxing, comfortable, safe resort with many great swimming and dining options. The ocean is absolutely gorgeous and warm but refreshing. I truly loved this vacation!

Room Tip: My husband and I stayed on the Caribbean side of the resort. We loved it! It was quiet, close to t...
3  Thank CCSR
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The facilities and the rooms were quite nice but I do have to say that 90% of the service was very poor. We really like interacting with the staff and getting to know more about the culture and them. Not only did they not want to chat, but a lot of the restaurants were slow and didn't always bring you what you would ask for. I had to ask 3 times for a drink and when it finally came, they took it to the lady at the next table. It was just a little disappointing.
They don't do anything for your honeymoon either which was really disappointing.
The pools and the poolside service was great though. Very on top of it. You will never go thirsty while at the pool.
Food is not too great. Not compared to many of the all inclusive stays we have been in Mexico.

If you do go here, I think if you have the butler suites, you will have an amazing stay. We opted not to go this route, and you can tell that you certainly don't get the same level of service with out the butler suite.

Eleanor's was by far the best food same with the Bayside at night. The Japanese was also tasty. We didn't try the OK corral or the Drunken Duck for food. Mario's was fine for breakfast, but dinner was not so good. Same with each meal we had at the Barefoot, not great.
The pizza was wonderful. We had one almost everyday. That was one of the highlights for us for the food. You could enjoy it there or take it to the beach or pool or back to your room.

While you are there, take the catamaran tour. I can't remember what the boat was called, but it is the bigger one and booked through the hotel. It was the highlight of our trip for sure. It was a great ride, a great lunch on the beach and some snorkeling.

Room Tip: The Walk out Room on the Mediterranean Side was lovely. Just make sure you get the one with the lou...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for reaching out to us about your stay at Sandals Grande Antigua, Jane.
We regret to hear that we did not quite meet your expectations for service and quality. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our luxurious accommodations but we recognize that one person’s specific experience can only be judged by that individual and we respect all the opinions you have expressed. We strive to meet our motto: Luxury All-Inclusive Vacations for Two People in Love and anything less than perfect calls for improvement on our part. We want to ensure that our future guests do not share the same experience. Therefore, your feedback will be sent to our General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We hope that after addressing your concerns and making the necessary adjustments, you will afford us an opportunity to showcase the true hospitality and beauty of our resort.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

My girlfriend and I spent 7 nites there. We have been to 8 Sandals and this one is wonderful!! The beach is one of the best,although it's not private so ther are alot of venders selling their wears along the beach but usually won't harass you if you just say no. The grounds are wonderful!! The staff couldn't have been better to me since my bag didn't get on our connecting and went out of their way to keep me informed as to it's status and called me the next as soon as it arrived. Ken in Marios and Simone at Elanores were outstanding!!Only problem the resort needs to address are the birds at the Bayside restarunt that are everywhere and will eat your food from your plate if you don't have someone there at the table if you want to look at some more food.They also were eating the deserts because the deserts weren't covered. We did make a comment to several staff members about the birds and they were attempting to come up with a solution to the problem. We would go back again with out question.

Room Tip: get a room away from the bandstand cause the noise is load at nite.
4  Thank hooah

We are so pleased to hear about your fantastic experience at Sandals Grande Antigua. Our highly trained staff work hard to ensure that our guests enjoy every minute of their precious vacation time spent with us. So it's great to hear that your stay was such an incredible experience, especially your interactions with our staff members. The resort management team will be following-up on the bird issue and take the necessary steps to make sure that this is situation is properly resolved. Thank you for your review and we cannot wait to welcome you back for an even better experience in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. John's
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!