“Excellent place for couples”

Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 20 August 2014

we have been there for our 20th wedding anniversary.
the travel agency recommend us to get there.
My wife and I were really happy with it.
All you can need to make long lasting memories.
Staff know how to make your holiday memorable.
We have been treated like honeymooners.
Will go back for sure.

Room Tip: new buiding with ocean view
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank docoss
Write a ReviewReviews (6,878)

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Five star Luxury, all inclusive, suites and villas one of the most romantic resorts I have stayed at in the Caribbean. Awesome staff, great food and beautiful beach! I loved the Caribbean village side,
newly renovated low rise building, out our window, swaying palm trees and just beyond the turquoise water and white sand beach...what more could you want?

Room Tip: quiet Caribbean side, or modern high rise style Mediterranean village
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jennifer F
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I chose Sandals for our Honeymoon as I believed they were the leaders in the field for all inclusive luxury and I obviously wanted the best.
I have mixed feelings about the resort after just returning after spending 10 days there. Firstly the good -
Champagne & cold towels upon arrival and a very quick check in
Courteous & friendly staff (most of the time)
The food was good in Mario's, Barefoot, Eleanor's,the Courtyard Bistro & the Cafe De Paris.
Drinks were good and strong made with top shelf brands.
The takeaway pizza's outside Mario's were delicious.
The grounds are kept immaculately clean & maintained daily.
Our room was big and generally cleaned well every day.
Secondly the 'not so 5 star' points -
We had to 'register' we were on Honeymoon to get the little extras.. I don't think we should have to do this, I'd already informed the Travel agent. The little extras we got weren't really worth it anyway ( breakfast in bed and a turndown with plastic petals)
Our aircon leaked water onto the floor which as the holiday wore on seemed to increase and cause a quite big slip hazard.
We had a ground floor level room and our patio was regularly covered in debris swept of the balconies above by the cleaners!
Our patio door was damaged and sometimes didn't close properly. A security risk, especially when the cleaners were leaving it unlocked when they couldn't close it !
Some of the booze we drank from the bar in the room wasn't replenished.
Some aspects of our room were tired and scruffy.
The food in Bayside, OK Corral & the Drunken Duck was not very good.
The public beach was full of vendors trying to sell their wares...after 10 days I was getting very tired of having to fight them off every time we went on the beach ! Not only this they hang through the fence also shouting trying to get your attention...tres annoying !!

All in all we had a good Honeymoon, but questioned why Sandals is so expensive compared to other Caribbean holidays we've had that were cheaper ?! We went to Mexico on a 4 star complex that was half the price and it was difficult to see the differences at Sandals that make it 5 star.
The entertainment was pretty much rubbish every night ( if there was any), although the Martini & chocolate night was good.
We took the Power 360 trip around the island on a catamaran that was well worth the money and really enjoyable.

Overall, did we have a great time ?? Hell yeah it was our Honeymoon !!! Would we return and pay Sandals prices ??? Probably not when there's such excellent 4 star resorts out there for half the price.

I would like to do a big shout out to one lovely member of staff though..Ronalyn the beautiful 'egg lady' in Mario's. She had a big smile for us every morning at breakfast and makes the best eggs ever !!! No 1 staff member in our eyes :)

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank helenbrown911
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The resort and Island is amazing!! The staff was very friendly. Only two things that I did not enjoy. I am now a platinum member at Sandals and every location I have been to is amazing including the beach. What really disappointed me was that vendors were allowed on the beach and everyone one of them will come up and try to sell you something. All the others Sandals I have been to the Beach was a private beach. Did not expect this and actually only went to the beach twice during the stay because of being bothered. Just stayed at the Pool.

Room Tip: The Mediterranean part of the resort is the newest and has the best A/C. The carribean village looke...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Troy T
Reviewed 20 August 2014

From start to finish this was a lovely experience. The hotel pick up was fine, no problem. The hospitality was fantastic throughout the hotel. We had a few reservations before booking this - do we really want to give our money to an already established business, rather book a local hotel etc etc. However, this resort was a fantastic choice and there is not one thing I can think of to grumble or complain about. Try out all of the restaurants if you can, the Teppanyaki restaurant was really good. The beach was just beautiful, not too busy. We had no problems getting sun beds plus the shade cover. We made lots of friends with the locals on the beach and organised our own tour with them around the island. It was a lot cheaper than the hotel, and for longer. You will enjoy it here!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RC202014
Reviewed 19 August 2014

As I live in Antigua, whenever I have visitors or sometimes when my husband and I want to treat ourselves we go to Sandals for a day pass. I went with my sister and I must say we had an incredible time. The staff and workers were even more friendly than last time! Food was great, I loved the Courtyard Cafe as I could grab and go and I missed this my last visit and of course the Cafe! My only disappointment was that I could not find shrimp which I love, for lunch other than in pasta or pizza (which I didn't like as it was seasoned strongly). Also the birds were eating all the open buffet food at Bayside which was disturbing and I could only eat what was covered or cooked in front of me. Drinks were a bit too sweet but I do recommend the Howard's Special. They do have smaller cups available on request which is perfect for sampling drinks instead of wasting full big cups as many were doing. One area for improvement is cleaning the Caribbean side pool which was filled with a lot of debris. Also, so many chairs are saved with towels but the people never return. Please be courteous to your fellow man!

Important to note it was not easy to get the day pass as there had been a hold placed on them due to full capacity and the staff did not know if the hold was still on. We had to wait until the GM arrived who was very nice and professional and allowed us to get the day passes but the receptionist said no one else for that day would be able to get them. I would advise booking multiple days ahead for day passes to avoid this!

Lastly, there was VERY inappropriate behaviour from one worker in the Watersports department, I believe by the name of Jason to the point where my sister's safety was compromised. I don't want to get into the details to tarnish my review as, other than this incident, we had an amazing time. However I need to be contacted by Sandals asap regarding this serious matter!

Until next time Sandals!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nattie03
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I recently visited this resort for my sister's wedding - 6 of us in total. My sister and her fiance had their own private butler and had to fire him for his lack of service. The workers just don't care. As you walk around the resort, none of the staff smiles or greets you or even pretends they enjoy their job and it creates an extremely unpleasant atmosphere.

The beach is a public beach (Sandals does not own it) so you will be constantly hassled to buy excursions from annoying locals. They prey on uneducated tourists. And do not take a romantic beach walk at night as these same locals hide in the darkness and will offer all sorts of drugs to you "to keep the party going." Does not feel safe at all.

But the worst part is that some of the staff are THIEVES. When we checked in our room, the safe was not working. So we called to get it repaired. No one showed up. The next day we called again and they said that someone will be right up to fix it. Once again, they never showed up. So all of our valuables were up for the taking. We went out to dinner and when we returned to our room, a pair of diamond earrings were missing. So we filed a formal complaint and the next day the head of guest relations and a security guard (who could barely speak English) came to search the room. They put the blame on us, bringing up scenarios where we could have lost them. And they even split us up - probably so we couldn't conspire about what happened, trying to find holes in our story.

HOURS later, they finally wrote up a report and said they would get back to us. We heard nothing for days and had to track down the head of security, Mr. Gaurav Sindhi, who sweet-talked his way through the incident and said they were going to do a full investigation by interviewing all of the staff members who entered the room. "This kind of thing never happens here" we were told. Ha!

At the end of the day, we received a letter stating that the earrings were LOST and an upgrade for the next time we stay at a Sandals resort. Well, we are NEVER going back

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
28  Thank Scott M
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Hello Scott,
I'm so sorry that your experience at our resort did not quite meet your expectations because of this unfortunate incident. We take any report of theft very seriously at our resorts and while it is not a regular occurrence, we still make the necessary provisions to ensure that there is not a repeat as Mr. Sindhi stated. Our staff diligently investigated this matter but unfortunately we were unable to locate the earrings nor found any evidence pointing to any staff member. We will of course remain vigilant and if we should unearth any other information, we will contact you immediately. If you have any further concerns regarding your visit, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care Team by email at customerservice@grp.sandals.com. They will be more than happy to assist in any way possible.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. John's
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!