“Amazing!”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Visited Sandals Grande Antigua in January and loved every minute of it.

The only negative was the housekeeping - glasses in the room were not cleaned and toiletries were not replenished.

On the plus side, food (more vegetarian options would be appreciated) and drinks were great, beautiful scenery. Rooms were slightly old fashioned but still functional.

I would recommend swimming with stingrays and catamarang tour.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Victoria_JAllan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,769)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Honeymoon beachfront walk around beautiful position although the rooms were a little dated and the beds squeak. But nice to be able to walk out to the pool and beach from our room. The gym was close by.
Rooms were kept very clean and the staff did there best to make sure your stay was good.
They have several restaurants all was good although our favourite was The Japanese & Such restaurant.
Will defiantly go to a Sandals again as we liked Adult only hotel & all inclusive was a bonus to us as we haven't done all inclusive before.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 2honnington
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have just been here on our honeymoon. This for us was am amazing experience as we've never stayed somewhere like this before. From the moment we got here being greeted with wet towels which was very welcome and a glass of champagne. The room was so nice and spotless with a beautiful view of the sunset. We tried most of the restaurants and can't fault any of them and I recommend kimonos food was amazing. Every single staff member from gardeners to the maids we all so nice. I could go on for hours about how nice the hotel, people and beach is. All I can say is if your thinking about sandals then come here. Thank you for making our honeymoon so special. We are already looking on trying to come back soon

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Fall River, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and I just got back from our Honeymoon on Monday 8/18/14. Words can not express how amazing it was. From the Resort, to the people (even locals) it was amazing. I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone.

Let me start with the room: We had a Rondoval butler suite with our own private pool. The name says it all...We were in room 312, it was the perfect balance of privacy and close to restaurants and the beach as well. Room was cleaned and maintained and the private pool was amazing...The only thing with the pool was the debris from the trees and plants were always falling in the pool, the upside to this was the yard workers were constantly cleaning it. I loved the shower and tub, the bed was comfortable as well.

Butlers: We had Karen and Maureen. Both were very good. They were the perfect balance. Karen was more on top of things and got things done in a quick manner, while Maureen was more loving and kind and laid back. I loved how she would always sing to us whenever she was speaking. They surprised us multiple times with flowes on the bed, candles in the room, little notes left behind with champagne. While we were celebrating our honeymoon we also celebrated our fourth anniversary, when they found out they set up the room with cake and champagne and a card it was nice. I loved it.

Food: Now I read these reviews before leaving and I decided to try all the restaurants that were "the best." I have to disagree with most of them. Mario's was just ok....my chicken was dry and they messed up my order (also heard from a few other people they messed theirs up as well). Elenors was ok as well but I do want to say their coconut soup was amazing. Kimonos was also just ok it was nice to meet other couples but the food wasn't worth it and the hibachi experience wasn't as good as here in massachusetts. My favorite restaurants were Bayside, they have a buffet with tons of good food to choice from. Courtside bistro traditional american food, hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos I loved it here! The pizzeria was great! Who can resist pizza! Barefoot was AMAZING probably my favorite! The lobster there was perfect (I don't normally eat seafood either). Last but not least was OK Coral, this one was good I ordered the special Filet Mignon and it was delicious, nothing else on the menu caught my eye. We did order room service twice and both times were excellent. Also Cafe de Paris was very good, they have different pastries, coffee and they ice cream was AMAZING. Drunken Duck how can I forget there. They were open at night mainly with different things going on my husband and I played a lovers game on stage which was fun their drinks were good and their food was excellent. Claudine greets you with a hug which I expected from reading previous reviews.

People/Employees: The most amazing employees, everyone is friendly and everyone says hi to you if they see you. My favortite were Antonio, Latoya, Peta-ann, Denroy. They were all very professional and fun. Antonio was hilarious, we played water volleyball with him (I am a horrible player) and he made me feel comfortable and I enjoyed it the entire time. He also found my husbands wedding ring after he lost it playing water volleyball. He remembered our names throughout the week, which was great especially considering the people he meets on a daily basis. We also hung out with him at the Drunken Duck, he was so much fun to hang out with. If you see him say hi and ask him to give you a shot of "his mama's breastmilk" sounds strange but the best shot there. Latoya was the pool bartender at the smaller carribean pool where the pool games were held. She was awesome, on the days she was off I found myself missing her. She was very personable, talking about her kids and life in general. She also handed out drinks like crazy even if you didn't ask for them, she gave you samples as well and has her own Latoya special. She actually has 62 of her own drinks. Peta- ann was hilarious she was a 19 year old girl who was so cute and fun, she would sing and play games with us. She also told us Antigua KFC was better then america and low and behold after everything she told us we had to try it she was right. Denroy was our photographer...They have photographers that go around the resort taking pictures of you, with no obligation to buy them he was great he was also very personable and told us about his life there in Antigua, Plus our pictures came out amazing. The local people were so nice, so nice it was scary lol...I met one little girl on the beach who's dad worked on the beach as a vendor her name was jamelia she was so nice and cute. The vendors on the beach were very respectful. If you said no thank you they would walk away, we did the jet ski's, bought necklaces from "the lady in the brown hat" she had the best prices even compared to the city, we also bought and excursion from issac but it was cancelled due to weather we did get our deposit back with no problem. Some vendors will ask you for drinks I said no to them because I was scared to get in trouble from sandal but there were people who did give it to them, I guess because they felt bad. We also met Teresa who works in sales but came with us on an excursion. She was super friendly and gave us alot of good tips.
Excursions: We did the ATV, Safari with swimming with stingrays, Snorkeling. All were amazing The ATV ride was Awesome with beautiful views and the tour guides were very nice, it was worth the money, my husband and I both drove our own. Swimming with the stingrays were awesome! we got to touch them and feed them and snorkel with them, the safari part was great to we learned alot about the island and had a nice lunch! Our guide was amazing but I can't remember his name :( we went to Betty's hope for lunch, and Devil's Bridge which was beautiful. Snorkeling was free but it was my first time and it was great i felt comfortable after going to a lesson and the view was amazing.

We also went into the city for shopping, we used a sandals taxi driver. We found a few things out there that were nice, the vendors fight over you which is a little crazy it was nice though.

The resort was clean, the pools would have flowers and debris from trees but that was the only issue, that wasn't even and issue.

Overall this place was terrific and I am an official Sandals fan and will definitely come back to this resort and stay at other Sandals resorts.

5 Thank Amanda P
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Hello and thank you for your review.
It seems like you had a fantastic time at Sandals Grande Antigua and we are so happy to hear that you are quite excited to see more of Sandals in the future! We appreciate all of your kind remarks and for sharing all your fond memories of our wonderful staff members.
We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Berkhamsted
Reviewed 22 August 2014

If you book a Sandals holiday you know what you are going to get. However we found that whilst 99% of the staff were excellent the bar staff were obviously tired and had low season blues, making you wait while they finished their private conversations and generally being rude and obnoxious, for example at the bar we asked for a can of diet coke, they said no we could only have it out of the tap, we explained it didn't taste right, they said choose another drink then!!! We asked to speak with the manager, they said if you want to speak to a manager go find one yourself.

Therefore I would not recommend this Sandals resort, it was very disappointing,

Room Tip: We had a room in block 1, right on the beach and at the really quite end, so there no pressure on su...
8 Thank Mark9876vbna
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for your review, Mark.
We truly regret to hear that your stay at Sandals Grande Antigua was not as expected. Our excellence in service is a matter of pride for us and we are deeply disappointed to hear that this was not reflected on your most recent visit. This is certainly not our standard and we will immediately alert the resort management team of your concerns so they may take the necessary steps to ensure that other guests do not have a similar experience. We appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us and we truly hope that you will return so that we may redeem ourselves on a future stay.
Plainsboro, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Our honeymoon was nothing short of amazing thanks to Sandals Grande Antigua! I can honestly stay that after my amazing honeymoon, I will never stay anywhere but at a Sandals resort. My husband and I went for eight days and had the Romeo and Juliet suite which was just breathtaking. The room was spacious, yet very romantic. Perfect for newlyweds! We opted for the butler service after reading the reviews that recommended it and we were not disappointed. We were assigned two butlers for the week, Craig and Sheldon. They both worked tirelessly to make our honeymoon spectacular.They set us up with chairs and a cooler on the beach everyday and would leave snacks in the room in the afternoon. A couple of times a week, we came back to a bubble bath in the jacuzzi prepared for us. The guys were running around our entire trip and they definitely deserve to be recognized because they were so helpful to us. The whole atmosphere at Sandals was wonderful. All the staff was extremely friendly and treated us like royalty. Everyone made us feel special knowing that it was our honeymoon. One of my favorite things about Sandals is that they have photographers walking around day and night snapping photos of you. They also offer a complimentary sunset photo shoot. I love pictures and definitely appreciated having professional pictures of my husband and I on our honeymoon.The only downside of the trip was that it took us almost two hours to get through customs in Antigua and when we finally got through, we had to wait 30-40 minutes for the shuttle to transport us to the resort. Because we waited so long, the lady from Sandals ended up just paying for us to go in a taxi. However, once we got to the resort, all was forgiven, as we were greeted with warm towels and cold drinks. I would highly recommend this resort to honeymooners or couples that just want to have a romantic getaway. Thank you Sandals Grande Antigua for making our honeymoon so memorable! My husband and I are looking forward to visiting in the future!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lauren P
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Sorry in advance for this being so long. Our trip was more of a disaster than enjoyable. Yes, you will get to stay at a beautiful resort, the beach is amazing (minus the vendors who comes to you every hour no matter how many times you say no), the excursions are amazing, the wedding office is so nice and so were some of our butlers.

But, unfortunately, everything that we had to go through turned our dream vacation/wedding into a nightmare!

My wife and I recently got married at the Sandals Grande Antigua on August 8th. Let me first start out by saying that my wife and I are not complainers. We know that things happen and sometimes it’s out of someones hands. But our experience at the resort was probably more stressful than enjoyable. Don’t get me wrong - the resort itself is beautiful, the people there are outstanding, but for paying thousands of dollar for ourselves and family we feel the level of service we received was something worthy of a 3-4 star hotel at half the cost.

Let me sum up the items that went wrong:

Our room service was 40 minutes late the first morning we were there. When we called the butler he stated he didn’t know what happened and would call us back. About 10 minutes later we get a knock at the door and our breakfast had arrived and my wife’s eggs were raw. She specifically asked while ordering to have her eggs medium well. We had 5 minutes until our wedding consultation which led to us being late since we had to run to get breakfast somewhere.

Once we got to the bridal consultation we were greated by Luana and Irose. Both were amazing and so friendly. We went through the items in our wedding but noticed quite a few items had been left out from our consultation with Ebony. We noticed at the last second that they didn’t have anything written down about the laterns we had preordered or what kind of ceremony we wanted. At the last second she told me they would take care of the lanterns and do what we wanted. Then our photographer came in and introduced herself. Nice girl - but gave us her portfolio to look at and we did not like them. We asked if this is what our $1000 we prepaid for was going to get us and she said yes. The pictures were awkward and had no editing at all. When asked about the editing she said sorry we don’t do that. I’m sorry - for $1000 they should come with free editing. We were frustrated by this because not only did we not get to preview these pictures before we came to the island we were stuck with them because it was the day before our wedding.

Right after finishing our consultation we were told that we were going to go into town to sign all our legal papers. The wedding manager told us it would be no more than an hour and we would be back. This was great because we had already booked a helicopter tour around the island. Our taxi didn’t leave for town until 30 minutes after she said it was supposed to leave. Then when we get to town we’re told to sit in this dark room and wait until our names are called. One hour goes by, nothing. Two hours go by, nothing. No one came to check on us or inform us of anything. I went out and asked the receptionist at the courthouse how much longer it would be and she stated to sit back down and wait our turns. By this time my wife and I were livid. We were told one hour and we’d be done. Now we’ve been dumped off in this courthouse with no Sandals reps near by to fill us in on anything. After another 30 minutes went by they called our names and all we did was sign a piece of paper and that was it. It took 3 hours sitting in a dark room to sign a piece of paper. We were so frustrated.

While all of this was going on we had another incident happen with one of the butlers. Before we were leaving to go to town we wanted our butler to relay a message to my mother in law informing her of the helicopter tour we were doing. When I asked him if he could call the spa that they were at to tell them for me he stated to do it myself. I was dumbfounded - I’m not asking you to come shine my shoe - all I want is a message to get passed to my mother in law. We mentioned this to the bridal office and they stated that it was definitely something he could do and to call him back and tell him to do it. When I did he gave me attitude again - he argued with me over the phone and finally ended up doing it. They had booked our helicopter tour initially for 1:40. We get back to the resort at 12:45 and are in a frenzy because we know that we have a tour to get to. Then the butler calls the bridal office while we’re sitting there with the wedding coordinator and tells us that the helicopter tour changed to 2:40. We were relieved because we still had things to do with them. So, we finished up about 2:35 and started heading to our taxi. We get there are our family is livid. They are screaming at us because we are an hour late and they’ve been sitting in the hot cab for over an hour. We proceed to tell them that our butler told us it was rescheduled for 2:40 - our family then proceeds to tell us that when they asked our butler where we were at 2:00 he stated he had no clue and that we should be there. WHAT? So - means to say the helicopter ride was NOT enjoyable. We were so frustrated with what happened. We felt like our butler was turning our family against us. When we arrived at the helicopter place they proceed to tell us that it was the butler that scheduled it all and messed everything up. This just added to the argument that he and I had earlier about relaying to message to my mom-in-law. So I immediately I ask to speak to the butler manager when we get back. I told him everything that went down and told me that he would take care of it and assured me that nothing like this will happen again.

Again, for a hotel that has outstanding service awards hanging around the hotel we should not have to go through what we did in our first two days on the island. I wish I could say that was it, but unfortunately there’s much more.

Phase 2 - the day of our wedding:

The night before we ordered room service - 30 minutes earlier than we did the day before because of it being too late. We call in about 11:30 that night, tell them our order and go to bed. We wake up, 7:30 comes around and no breakfast. I’m immediately frustrated. 30 minutes go by again and still no food. I call our butler and tell him how upset we were about room service. He said he would look into it and call me right back. 10 minutes go by and we get a call saying that no breakfast was ordered for our room! WHAT? THE DAY OF OUR WEDDING AND SOMETHING ELSE GOES WRONG? Means to say - we went without breakfast because we couldn’t be late to anything because it was our wedding day. Not a good start to the day - again. While we’re getting ready I notice a lot of the wedding staff running around frantically. We didn’t get to talk to any of them that morning until the actual ceremony started. We had to change our location because of the rain - that was something we were ok with because you can’t help mother nature. When it’s time for me to go to the gazebo I notice there’s an old beat up CD player sitting there. I asked if that was our music and they stated yes. A 6 star resort with a radio that looked like it came out of the garbage, nice! At this point I don’t even care anymore. I just want things to go smoothly. So I tell the lady again (we already went over all this in the consultation) exactly what songs to play and when to play them. She assures me she has it. Then before my wife walks down the aisle the preacher pulls me aside and asks if she can mention God. I say of course and she doesn’t say another word. My thought - shouldn’t this have been discussed prior to me standing at the alter? I had no idea where to stand, what to do, or what to say. I had to figure it out myself because NO ONE was directing anything. So the music starts and my wife walks down the aisle. I will never forget that moment. Then our ceremony begins - turns out just about everything being said we have to repeat ourselves. Unaware of this we fumble over our words (which granted was pretty funny) until our preacher gives us attitude and tells my wife to re-resite what she said! I wanted to stop right then and there and say excuse me? We finish our vows and was supposed to have music right when we kiss - was all written down and was told to the lady in charge of the music. We kiss - no music. The lady had left during the middle of our ceremony. When I finally tell them about it they hit play and had put the wrong disc in (I repeat again - I went over all this a day before and minutes before the ceremony). Once I tell them to stop the music, put the other disc in and go to song 3 I was already upset. This shouldn’t be happening! This is supposed to be a happy moment and my wife and I are frustrated. So, we manage to put a smile on for the pictures and have our first dance. When it’s time for the reception we looked at our cake. IT WAS WRONG!!!!!! Once again - something else that is NOT even close to being right. We preordered all this before we even got to the island AND went over with the bridal dept on our consultation. We ordered the free wedding cake but customized it - which was $500 extra for it. We were supposed to have orange flowers and teal ribbon all over it to match the bouquet. Nope. Was wrong. At this point we are once again frustrated. So while we’re having our cocktail party no one ever thought to hit the play button on the piece of junk CD player. I had to ask for them to hit play. They did - and it skipped the whole time. Reason being? The lady had dropped this disc while switching them out.

So far lets sum this up - room service lost our order, our preacher was rude, the cake was wrong and the music was wrong. I’m sorry - but once again for paying thousands of dollars for this trip we expected everything to go as flawless as everyone told us on the phone before arriving.

After taking all of our pictures they make arrangement for us at Eleanors. It’s very nice and finally a time where we can sit and relax for a moment. Then our waitress shows up. She knows that we just got married and asked my wife if she would like some wine. My wife said no that she doesn’t like wine but does want a drink from the bar. The waitress turns around and says, “But this is a special occasion - I used to be a toaster and nothing is better than wine.” My fine finally says OK even though she hates wine. We get our appetizers and everything is going along fine until the waitress hands me a book and tells me to sign. I ask why am I signing this and she says, “Sorry but the wine isn’t free!” EXCUSE ME? YOU JUST CHARGED ME FOR A BOTTLE OF WINE THAT WE DIDN’T EVEN WANT IN THE FIRST PLACE? I, once again, was livid. Another thing to add to the list.

We go back to the room a few hours later and my wife starts not feeling good. Not even 10 minutes later and she’s in the bathroom puking. Apparently something at the restaurant made her sick and she puked the rest of the night. Again - something else that went wrong.

Phase 3 - the days after the wedding:

Our next day we’re supposed to have mimosas and the honeymoon breakfast in bed. This was something that was arranged in our consultation. 15 minutes go by - no food. 25 minutes go by and food comes and gets set on the table. When we open them our order is wrong. UNBELIEVABLE! I don’t know what kind of rocket science it takes to read what someone wants off of a printed list that was given to them but once again room service dropped the ball. We ordered omelets on our sheet and was given fried eggs. When the wedding office called to ask about breakfast they were informed of the error. From that morning on - we told ourselves we were not going to order room service again. I can understand it happening once - but 3 days in a ROW - unacceptable. Especially for a “6 star resort!”

We spent the day doing activities on the island and had a great afternoon. For once it was refreshing to let go and not worry about anything. UNTIL we get back. We’re supposed to have dinner reservations for Mario’s. Our family asks ahead of time because they couldn’t remember what time we told them. They were informed that there wasn’t any reservations. WHAT? Our wedding consultant set those reservations while we were sitting in her office. We inform our butler and he states he will take care of it. Once again - I’m getting aggravated. Once he assures me that it’s fine we don’t pay any more attention to it. When time arrives we get to the restaurant, tell them we have reservations and he takes my wife and I to a table with 2 chairs. I had already stated that it was for 6 - our whole family! It was initially booked that way and our butler was told that as well. ONCE AGAIN - something else went wrong. We had to wait until a 6 seater table became available. At this point my wife is in tears. We are so frustrated with everything that has gone on and at that moment wished we would’ve never have came here. That also added on to the tears that were shed on our actual wedding day because of everything that went wrong that day.

Then the next day we go to the office to pick out our pictures. Oh - and let me back up on this just a little. I remember the wedding coordinator saying something about stopping by the photoshop when I have time the day after the wedding to look at the photos. We didn’t have time - we had too much going on and decided I would walk in there just to see if it was ok to do it tomorrow. When I walked in and asked them they stated, “Your appt was at 1:00 and you are 4 hours late.” Um, excuse me I was never told that we had an appt - I was told by the wedding dept that we could stop by at any time. They then proceed to tell me, “I guess we can do it tomorrow!” Rolls her eyes and walks off. I’m standing there dumbfounded. ONCE AGAIN - SOMETHING ELSE THAT WAS NOT DISCUSSED!!!!!

On Sunday we call the wedding dept asking about our viral video we ordered. This is advertised on your website as well as on the forms that were sent and validated by the initial wedding consultant over the phone that the viral video is a 2-3 minute video of our wedding to share with our family and friends 24-48 hours after our wedding. I called her and she stated that we would have it on Monday because they’re closed on the weekend. Ok - I understand that. Monday afternoon rolls around - no video. I call once again and they said ok it will definitely be in your email by Tuesday. Tuesday afternoon rolls around - no video. I call the photoshop because I can’t get a hold of anyone in the bridal dept. They proceed to tell me that it should be no later than Friday! Wait, WHAT? WE WERE TOLD 24-48 HOURS - WE HAVE FAMILY AND FRIENDS WAITING FOR THIS VIDEO!!! The photo office just says sorry and that’s it. We leave out Wednesday the 13th - still with no video. I would like to say that today is August 21st and we still to this day DO NOT HAVE OUR VIDEO! 14 days have gone by with NO video. We paid extra for this video and to not have it in the time frame that was discussed is NOT acceptable. I called the resort 3 times and do you want to know what was said by them? “We don’t know - if you don’t hear back from us call us back!”

That right there was the cherry on top of everything! I have never in my life had so many things go so wrong in such a short period of time. This trip was supposed to be a trip of a lifetime. We are not wealthy people - not even close. There’s no way that we could afford another vacation like this for a very long time. What’s supposed to be one of the most amazing moments in our life is now drenched with frustration. As beautiful as the resort was, it was not worth what we paid. We shouldn’t have had to go through what we did by a 6 star resort that is acclaimed to be one of the most outstanding places on earth.

We were just so disappointed. Please take another look before putting so much money into a resort that is acclaimed to be the "best!" We're currently in discussion with Sandals corporate office and have yet to hear anything from them.

15 Thank Corey D
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Hello Corey,
Thank you for your reaching out to us about your Weddingmoon at Sandals Grande Antigua. We are truly disappointed to hear that there was some miscommunication that occurred during your stay and we assure you that this is certainly not the norm for us. Our service and Weddingmoons staff often receive the highest praise which leaves us deeply disappointed to hear that your expectations were not met on such a special occasion. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced we will look into this further thoroughly to ensure we do not receive similar feedback in the future. I have sent you a private message for a few additional details and we look forward to resolving any concern you may have regarding your visit with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. John's
#1 of 3 in Bolans
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!