Room - 3/5. We stayed in the Caribbean side of the resort in a "honeymoon deluxe concierge" which meant, as part of the all inclusive package, we had access to a fridge with re-stocked alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. The air conditioning was a life saver and worked brilliantly. The room itself was fairly average and the bathroom area could have used a bit of a makeover. However, it was kept spotlessly clean by daily room service. There was a handy balcony overlooking the pool area. Massive four poster bed which required steps to climb into.
Staff - overall 4/5. Always pleasant and polite, with most people, if they had time, willing to have a chat.
Restaurants for dinner - overall 4/5.
Excellent choice of restaurants including buffet and a la carte.
1. Loved Mario's (Italian - a la carte) - presentation of the food was lovely, service wasn't always consistent in quality or attentiveness, but always polite. There was definitely much more of a dining out experience to it.
2. On principle didn't eat in the English Pub "the Cricketer's"; (I'm on holiday in the Caribbean after all!!!). Although did dance the night away in there after seeking refuge from the rain one evening.
3. Eleanor's (Caribbean - a la carte) served good "taster" of true Caribbean recipes (although no doubt dumbed down for Euro / American market).
4. Kimono's (Japanese - a la carte) was an experience but was very dependent on the Chef - first time we ate there the cooking was entertaining and engaging, the second time (different Chef) was more like watching my mum prepare Sunday roast. Be prepared though - eat lightly during the day, you are offered a lot of courses and they all taste really good.
5. Sushi bar - didn't experience a meal here
6. Barefoot (seafood) - outside dining; lovely experience (good for lunch too).
7. Bay (international) buffet - a good selection of food - which was always good well, tasted good. We tended to use Bay as our second choice if we couldn't get in elsewhere or wanted a lighter alternative as, given the other lovely restaurants we were spoilt for choice. Also open for breakfast and lunch.
8. Pizza place - open for lunch; very tasty pizza's - good lunch size.
1. Pools (5/5) - didn't spend much time around the big pool on the Mediterranean side of the resort. However, each of the blocks on the Caribbean side had it's own small swimming pool - this was luxurious, there were days when we had the pool to ourselves. Only downside one might consider to this was that it didn't have a swim up bar (but hey, I think we could cope with the two minute walk to the nearest bar!!).
2. Access to the beach - excellent; we always found a sunbed to use (these are fiercly defended from use by non-sandals guests by the resort security girls). Could do with more beach umbrellas - there was always a towel fight at dawn (you think I jest) for those!
3. Sea - don't bring your snokelling gear if you're not prepared to take a boat trip to access clear water.
4. Bars - overall 5/5. There was a really great choice of branded alcoholic drinks including 4 brands of gin (we were in heaven)! Great cocktails; standard list but staff really knew their cocktails; don't think there was anything I asked for that they didn't know how to make!
Main seafront bar; staff always pleasant, never any great wait for a drink (but then again, it's not like I was going to be late for an appointment if I'd had to wait more than a few minutes!). Cocktails - fabby. Staff at this bar made the best Caiparinha's!
Pool bar - Caribbean side - staff here were really excellent; you said what spirit you generally like to drink and you got a cocktail to match it. Definitely best Bahama Mama's here.
Gym - yes, sad but true, I did visit the gym most days (like I said the food is good!). Good variety of gym equipment. The gym was air conditioned (thankfully) however the last few days there seemed to be a problem and it was unpleasantly warm - didn't really get any better despite letting staff know.
All inclusive value for money - excellent; 4/5.
Hotel organised trips - these appeared to be extortionately expensive and put us off booking anything.
There was a variety of day and night time entertainment; what I saw / experienced was good.
The gardens were beautifully kept - there was clearly a lot of work, on a daily basis, put into keeping them that way.
"private" swimming pool
choice of restaurants
choice of activity level
All inclusive red and white wine (it was yuk!)
Extortionately expensive trips
Disappointing that there was no free internet access.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Travelbag, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish