“It was wonderful! I really look forward going back as a tourist.”

Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 19 May 2010

My latest trip was at Sandals Grande Antigua. I was really looking forward to this trip as I have sent several of my clients there and the feedback was always more than positive and I really wanted to go experience it for myself.
My room was at the Mediterranean side of the resort and it was a Venetian suite. Luxurious room with beautiful amenities and partial oceanview. It depends where your room is located as the resort is big and there are palm trees around that sometimes might block the view a bit. I really didn't miss a thing in that room. The bathroom was equipped with a large shower with a rain shower head (it felt fantastic taking a shower under that showerhead), a separate jacuzzi tub and two vanities. Marble and porcelain tile was dominant in the bathroom and luxury was in every corner of the room. I had all to myself a king size bed that I slept very comfortably in and a big flat screen tv. The in room bar was well equipped with sodas, water, champaign, wine, beer, and of course it was included. There was scotch whisky, rum and more wine on top of the bar along with the usual coffee maker, water boiler to make tea and condiments. I had a very friendly lady making up my room daily.
The resort was very clean and beautiful. The gardens were very well maintained. There were hammocks tacked away in quiet places for people to catch some rays and relax around the resort. Several couples were getting married that weekend that I stayed at the resort. It made sense as an All Inclusive resort is the best choice for a WeddingMoon nowadays. The food was delicious. We had 10 restaurants at our disposal with sumptous food. The sushi bar was one of the best and I couldn't have enough of it...Unlike other all inclusive resorts where you get bombarded with buffet style food and you can only have a couple of meals a day. Sandals delivered the excellence that they are for 16 years now recognized for. Well prepared food served with attention to detail and nothing less from what you would see at a fancy restaurant here in the US.
The nightly activities kept the fun going and we had many laughs with my colleagues during karaoke night! My experience at the spa was fantastic as well. The staff is very friendly and made my experience a memorable one. The pool is one of the biggest in the Caribbean and I did have my share of spending time in it. I highly recommend it. The great thing about Sandals Grande Antigua is that the resort has several pools so the main pool at the Mediterranean villages was never congested.
Antigua is a tropical island and there are plenty of birds flying around the resort so don't get turned off by that just remember that you are in the heart of the Caribbean!
If you would like to see pictures from my trip or you need help planning your vacation please feel free to contact me :) you may either call me at [---] or email me at [---]

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Nikoletta7
Write a ReviewReviews (6,878)

Reviewed 19 May 2010

We stayed at the Sandals Grande Antigua 4/29/10-5/6/10 in the Mediterranean Village (Monte Carlo Honeymoon Suite) and it was everything we had hoped for and more. This trip was for our 25th wedding anniversary so we renewed our vows and the wedding consultants where wonderful they truly made our special day a dream come true. From the moment we arrived at the resort it felt like paradise, it was just beautiful there in every way the grounds where simple breath taking every day I would pick a different flower to put in my hair, the employees where so friendly and helpful always wanting to make sure that you where having a good time. We went snorkeling, rode the water trike, went out on the hobie cat, and even took the kayak out for while. There was always lots to at night but our favorite was going to the Cricket restaurant/lounge after 10pm when the dj would show up. My favorite part of the trip was just meeting people from all over the country and all the exotic drinks that I will never get back home, but if you want a good seat at the pool you have to get up early to reserve a spot. We loved our trip to Sandals Antigua so much that we are already planning a trip back next year for the same time.

3  Thank LMANNERS
Reviewed 17 May 2010

We were checked into the a concierge level on the Caribbean side that was more dated and disgusting than a Motel 6. The hot water worked four out of the seven days during our stay even though we placed repeated calls daily to have it fixed. Speaking of fixtures "think of cleaning them once in a while?" The pasty grean and white stuff growing on them was disgusting. The wall safe key was not given to us upon check in but a bag boy brought us one which should be an obvious indication of a security breach. Luckily, I travel with a portable safe because I read that safes have been boken into at this location from this website. The new side is very nice, stay there, it is like night and day. However, my parents, family and friends stayed there and the concierge on that side let us down big time. We booked an all day fishing tour and afterward they asked their concierge if we could have a lunch packed for us that we could pick up before 7AM. They said no worries and put in the order. That moring we cornered a manager after we found that no one was at the front desk. Finally someone showed and said our basket was on the way. We waited till 7:20 and were then told it would not be be coming and that they were sorry. This made us late for trip we paid for and hungry all day. The manager and staff had nothing to say about this. When I e-mailed Sandals they had nothing to say about this. The fact that we paid for great service leaves me wondering if I will ever recommend Sandals again. I have stayed at Sandal Royal Caribbean and Sandals Regency La Toc. Both had much better service. The fact that I have had no response from Sandals about this after e-mailing more than once really let me down.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank obrienia
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Sandals Grande Antigua -
We were here about 6 years ago, prior to their significant renovations. The new Italian Village is excellent. If you're a fan of Sandals, this one is on par with the Grande and Regency in St. Lucia, and Whitehouse in Jamaica - to us, among their very best properties.
The property itself is excellent - the restaurants and facilities are spread out nicely and we never lined up for anything. Everything was well maintained and clean. We were in Concierge rooms in the main building overlooking the grounds with an ocean view - very nice.
The staff were excellent. We were continually asked how things were doing; our concierge followed up regularly with calls and notes; restaurant staff were friendly and chatted.
The meals were amazing. Our favourite was Eleanors, but Barefoot, Kimonos, OK Corral and Marios were very good too. The returning guest party was the best we've seen among 8 Sandals.
I went diving on 4 days, but this resort does 2-tank early dives, so that was 8 dives. Nice set-up, and well managed.
Overall, one of our favourite holidays, and we would definitely go back. Special thanks to Sonya, Isabella and all the restaurant and dive shop staff.

3  Thank DiveProf
Reviewed 16 May 2010

This is a long review, but if you have concerns because of previous reviews you have read please read this. I was very nervous initially because of all the poor reviews I had read, but I decided to make up my own mind because I'm stubborn like that. Below I list some of the concerns I had because of the reviews and address each one.

My first concern: My items would get stolen. I locked EVERYTHING valuable up in the safe every time I left my room from cameras to jewelry to my Louis Vuitton makeup bag, and I made sure that my room had a combination safe and that it worked properly. It was perfect, and none of my items got stolen. I did not bring any real diamonds with me, that is a precaution I take no matter where I go.

My second concern: The food would be bad/boring/not cooked well. Quite the contrary! The food was FANTASTIC! If you are in to five star dining or a food snob, Eleanor's will probably be your first choice. I find pleasure in ALL food from pizza and cheese burgers to lobster tail and kobe beef. The seafood was delicious and fresh (you would hope, right?) and everything was delicious. There are so many options, you won't get bored. My favorite place to eat was Barefoot by the Sea, because it was so casual and the food was excellent. Also, most everyone I saw did follow the dress codes (be sure to bring nice dressy clothes because a lot of the restaurants require you to wear them in the evenings for dinner!)

My third concern: The service would be rude or unaccommodating. Again, unless you expect people to literally (and I do mean literally) bow down on the ground and kiss your feet when you walk by, you can't beat the service. Our concierge was Kerry Ann who went out of her way to make sure we didn't lift a finger. Everyone is always singing and happy and kind. Of course I'm not a rude person, so I guess if I was I may have gotten a different reaction from the staff...but anyway, I wouldn't really know.

My fourth concern: The beach would be full of random tourists, obnoxious children and cruise ships docking because it is a public beach. What it is, is a long beach with a few different resorts along it. Although you can walk down the beach, we just stayed in the sandals portion. Yes, people that are staying from other resorts may walk along the Sandals beach, but for the most part it was all Sandals guests. It was never over crowded, there were always available chaise lounges, and you can't beat the beauty of this beach.

I can't say enough for this resort. The scuba diving was great, although there are a lot of other places in the world that are much better for scuba diving. The water was very clear and beautiful, the weather was perfect. There were always events going on and the night life was good. All in all, this was the best vacation I have ever been on (I did get married there so I am a little biased) and I will definitely be returning in the future.

3  Thank linseylucia
Reviewed 14 May 2010

I have to say....I am a researcher and found a good number of bad reviews. My new husband and I can't come up with one negative to report on!!! We stayed in the Mediterranean Honeymoon Penthouse with the Butler service. I can't say enough good things about getting the butlers. We had 2 very amazing butlers (Geoffrey and Julian) who actually had to encourage us to utilize them more. They brought us coolers of Coors Light (which helped us make alot of friends:) haha....pizza, and made sure to get us the best chairs possible any morning we wanted them. But, the best thing they did was that they made our honeymoon the most perfect 7 days of our lives. EVERYDAY there were bubble baths with flower petals, towels in the shape of swans, champagne, romantic music, personal notes, sweet treats, etc. We never knew what to expect when we got back to our room after dinner...very exciting. We made some really great friends our 2nd day and our butlers worked and worked to get us all reservations together (even if we didn't know where we wanted to eat until 2 hours before). The one thing I hate is a planned out vacation, but Sandals wasn't like this at all...especially with Geoffrey and Julian hooking it up!!! We thought the food was great, especially Eleanor"s because they would give you as many lobster tails as you want. The Ok Corral (ribs) were great...steak was just ok. The sushi at Kimonos was awesome (just make sure you specify what you want b/c they put pineapple in the rolls) but are more than happy to make it however you want. Nightlife...it was actually alot of fun (which we didn't expect). There were dance contests, karaoke, and funny couples games. One of the best things was that the whole week was full of only adult couples and adult couple humor. We did a couples massage which was a really nice start to the week. Oh and the grounds/gardens were beautiful!!! We have already planned a reunion with the other couples we met...we want to try all of the Sandals resorts. Sandals is a must...having a butler is a must...and Geoffrey and Julian are a must!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank adpi80
Reviewed 14 May 2010

We were at this resort for our wedding and had a great time. To begin, the check in process is an interesting experience, it felt very long and took some of our group 2 hours before they got to their rooms and after an ordeal at the airport everyone was a little wound up. The biggest issue people had was just leaving their bags sitting at the entrance to the resort (as people were worried they would accidently be taking) but we did not have any problems. Once everyone calmed down and realized where they were everything worked out, as when they were taking to their rooms, most of their luggage was sitting at the doors as if some magical elves brought it. From this moment on, I do not have one complaint from the resort. They were all very accomodating. Our wedding went off without any problems and we had our pictures ready to view the next day, and our video the day after that. The resort had an amazing selection of food, from hamburgers, to the BEST pizza to very formal meals, there wasnt a meal I didnt enjoy. Our rooms were located in the Carribean Grove side of the resort which we prefered since we are not into the High Rise style of resorts. We were taken threw a room on the Mediterranean Side, and the room the only difference was a flat screen TV (and the view depending on which floor you where on) Our room was upgraded to a Garden Rondoval, and although it was alittle outdated you could not complain since we had out own little private plunge pool, and the most amazing thatch roof. Our guests were in the Honeymoon Garden of Eden rooms which are the renovated versions of The Garden of Eden rooms (which I hear are very outdated). The rooms were beatiful quite. Although all the buidings were close together, because of the lush and mature grounds everything felt very private. As for pools, the main pool was beautiful but usually packed, we hung out at the Sports pool which was typically much quieter, and had an AMAZING bartender named Latoya. This pool was outdated and needed some work but you could get a chair and a mat, and at 2:30 everyday there was pool volleybal, and Bingo which you can win some pretty good prizes. Overall we had a great time, and i would definatly return!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!