Just got back from an eight day trip at the Coconut Beach Club (from Nov. 18-26). Overall all we had a great time there with just a couple of snags. Here is an overview of our experience.
Arrival: after spending nearly an hour in line (queue) at immigration, the ride to the resort is a 30 minute trip. Upon arrival at the resort the receptionist had a cold towel waiting for us and a nice glass of rum punch. It took only three minutes for check-in and a porter brought our luggage to the room.
Room: we had a third floor room. It was basically a one bedroom apartment with 2 beds and 2 decks and ample closet space. It had no refrigerator, but once we let Reception know we had one the next day. The frig, however, does not get filled. Had to go to town to buy some soda. Found out at end of trip that you can buy a package to have beverage stocked, Air conditioning worked well. Hammock on deck was nice and was used at twilight each evening. The shower's pressure and temperature was hit or miss. The cleaning staff did a great job of keeping the room clean.
Beach: the selling point for the resort. It was gorgeous and it was kept clean by the staff. It was also the only resort on the beach and it never felt crowded. It was not hard to get a beach chair at any time, although one day they did run out of towels early in the afternoon.
Meals/Bar: I would agree with most people about breakfast being a disappointment. The breads were good, limited on fresh fruit and the only eggs were scrambled. Again found out at the end of the trip that you could request an omelet. Lunch was good, something different every day. Dinner was the highlight, but limited menu. Two appertizers, one soup, and three main courses ,unless you wanted lobster or steak for an additional charge. The chef did an excellant job in preparation and never had a bad meal. The bar was a nice place to visit before dinner to socialize with the other guests. The variety of drinks were somewhat limited, no peach schnapps or amaretto, but what you did order was very tasty and strong. Watch out for the Diet Coke, very weak in syrup.
Staff: they were great! They would bend backwards to help with anything you needed. They helped us book all our trips off the resort and made sure we had a taxi for the trip to the airport. All were friendly with a smile anytime you said hi to them. Ask for Tony if you need a taxi, gave a great trip around the island.
It was a great time just to sit around the resort and meet the other guests, Being the only Yanks there, it was great to talk to all the Europeans about their lives. A special shout out to Paul and Debra and Mike and Philippa who were great couples to hang out with and made the time even more enjoyable.
Conclusion: if you like a quiet, restful place, with no loud music playing, no pool games, and no timeline, this is the place to go. It was a good price for what you got and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good, peaceful time. It is really the staff that made Coconut Beach Club a great place to stay.
P.S.: for those who mentioned about the two dogs, they were picked up by the humane society right before we left.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Coconut Beach Club is an affordable all inclusive resort also offering room only accommodations. We are a small, intimate and friendly and cater mainly to couples who want a quiet, restful and laid back Caribbean vacation. All rooms are beach front and include air conditioning, balcony with hammock and easy chairs, ceiling fan, fridge, bath and shower, hair dryer, coffee maker and telephone. Junior suites include dining facilities and kitchenette. Deluxe Suites have an extra bedroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Coconut Beach Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coconut Beach Club Hotel St. John`s
- Coconut Beach Hotel
- Coconut Beach Resort
- Coconut Beach Club Antigua/Saint John Parish
- Coconut Beach Antigua