“Sad to read last few reviews”
Review of Coconut Beach Club

Coconut Beach Club
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Wimborne, United Kingdom
“Sad to read last few reviews”
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I was really sad to read the last 3 reviews of coconut beach. We stayed in June and every day the beach and area around ground floor apartments was treated for sand flies and Mosquitos. Agreed this is not a 5 star but 3 star resort but the fact it is on the beach location sells it. I wonder what has happened in the last month or so to appear to have made the ratings fall on this friendly secluded resort. I do think it does need a major refurb with new patio doors and better locks to the doors on the ground floor, I do hope new travellers have a better time.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Lynne A
Nicole B, Manager at Coconut Beach Club, responded to this review, 21 December 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review. The heightened sand fly/mosquito issue resulted from a prolonged wet period over the last several weeks which now seems to have abated. We have since treated the grounds and the beach in addition to maintaining our weekly fogging schedule. Things are pretty much back to normal.

We would like to assure you and all future guests that there is no need to worry and we will continue to do our very best to ensure that your stay with us is relaxing and enjoyable.

If you have questions or would like any further information please feel free to contact me directly at nicole@coconutbeachclub.com.

Nicole Martin
Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Horsted Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I total agree with the 'crazyasaboxofffrogs' Everything he writes is correct. Our holiday was totally ruinned and we wasted around £2500. The place was tired, uncared for, even the bathroom floor towels were worn, in some cases stained and very thin. The one saving grace were the staff who served you or worked in Reception, they were fantastic. To add to the comments, 3 guests were broken into or had something taken whilst we were there. Another 3 had the doctor called to deal with the terrible insect bite situation. We had many bites, I counted at least 70 on my body. The weather was very bad on several days we were there The hotel cannot be blamed for the weather, but we suffered a leek on the Ground Floor in our lounge area and it took the hotel 4 days to repair it. Never again. I shall be writing to Virgin, The hotel owners and Antiguan Tourist Authority to inform them of the disaster.

10 Thank John K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Just got back from an experience that may possibly scar us for life. This hotel has to be the Armageddon of sand fly. Avoid the one and only bar area at all times as the nest is underneath the decking. Trust me I know. Got back and went to the doctor's who sent me for an immediate blood test, been on antibiotics and various pills for 4 days, also had to have injection to fly.
This is such a shame as the staff are SO friendly, the food is good and it's so laid back (if you can sleep for the scratching).
If you are already booked, use "OFF!" in the green can (available from hotel shop)or mix 1 part Dettol,1 part Citronella oil, 1 part Vinegar, 1 part baby oil and smother yourself.
Ensure you use this at all times as they are about even at 10am. This will not stop them, but may slow them down.
There was a scream up in our 2nd week as a guest had their room broken into, and police were evident on a daily basis afterwards.
Towels removed in the morning and not replaced until sundown (they haven't got enough so they wash and dry the same ones) but by then the shower is cold.
If the resort wish to spend some serious money this would be idilic, but until then i wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Unless you wear a Nuclear fall out suit.

7 Thank flattopsteve
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We booked this holiday so as to completely relax and chill out in the Carribean sunshine, after a stressfull few months with major buiding work being undertaken at home and pressures of work. We returned covered in sand fly bites and tired due to lack of sleep from scratching.
As reported by crazyasaboxoffrogs we too suffered and were subject to a doctors visit (courtesy of Virgin) We would not return to this hotel in it's current state purely for the sand fly issue that they have.
The hotel was tired and in great need of investment, (shortage of beach/bathing towels and sunbeds, hot water hit and miss and the rooms in need of refurbishment) however the staff and management were friendly and accomodating. The food was good too and we met a great bunch of people during our stay.
Our holiday was ruined by the sand fly investation, we found ourselves being unable to lie on a sunbed (if you could locate one) and waking about 02:30 Hrs having to run a bath trying to releive the irritation.
Virgin should not be sending peopole to this hotel if this issue is not addressed as it is my beleif that they are sending paying customers into certain misery, not blissfull contentment.
We should have known that this holiday was not going to be great when we stood in the queue at immigration for almost an hour, for then to be collected by private car and taken to the wrong hotel about a 50 minute drive from the airport!
As a result of the sand fly issue we opted to rent a car for a couple of days in order to get away from the hotel (and sand flys) on our travels we saw no-one affected quite so badly by sand fly bites, so please be aware this problem is not being over estimated, it will ruin your holiday.
We will be contacting Virgin in order to express our disappointment and vent our anger and would suggest that anyone else affected by this issue should do the same.

DO NOT UNDER ESTIMATE THE DISRUPTION AND MISERY THAT SUCH A TINY INSECT, WHEN IN ABUNDANCE CAN CAUSE!!!!!

Room Tip: Ground floor, quiter air con and less suseptable to leaks
4 Thank rands2011
oxfordshire
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Just returned from our visit to hell. Never before have we suffered as much as on this holiday! Everyone else on the Island had no trouble with sand fly bites as my partner and I received at this hotel. Apparantly their hotels were fogged 3 times daily but ours was lucky if done twice weekly!
We asked for our rooms to be sprayed, but it was only after to speaking to the highest Virgin rep that this was done on our last night.

Every where we went we would leg watch, no sandfly bites but maybe a few mosquito ones on other peoples legs from other hotels.
Both friends of ours and us had to be visited by the local doctor which Virgin covered the cost.

The manageress Nicole seemed to believe that the stagnent water at the back of the rooms that stank of sewers was not part of the problem and the drainage from the guttering under the bar decking was not the problem either!!???

Many of the guests were being bitten by the sand flies what ever time of day or night and it didn't matter whether you used deet, off, vinegar, dettol, baby oil, citronella petroleum jelly or candles they still would not stop.
OUR holiday was ruined by this and I would NEVER recommend the hotel to anyone.
A whole year of saving for a holiday and this is what we had to put up with.

The rooms were very poor, very outdated, leaking roofs in rain reported but not sorted out, air conditioning too noisey to leave on when in room and very hard to regulate, stinking water around the whole of the site, thread bare towels for the pool, not enough towels to cover the bathrooms.
Not enough decent sun beds available often having to scoure the property to obtain them.
Trees around bar area not maintained, twice branches fell from the trees, once smashing a spot light that then took at least 15 minutes to be cleared away.

I would like to add that the staff are fantastic and the hotel set up once the sandfly problem is sorted would be great as only has 38 rooms so you do get to know almost everyone.

Cannot believe that virgin are still sending customers to this hotel!

Room Tip: All rooms are sea facing, do not choose top floor because of leaks in roofs!
5 Thank crazyasaboxoffrogs
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2011

A quiet, relaxing, comfortable and value for money 3-4* hotel on a very good and almost private beach, with very friendly and helpful staff and excellent food. We spent two very relaxing weeks soaking up the sunshine with no TV or news to distract us from simply chilling out.

Immigration at the airport is slow but the taxi to the hotel was only 20 minutes and we were greeted with a cold towel and a rum punch – Good start!

The hotel is small with no luxuries but our first floor junior suite was spacious with a sitting area (settee and two chairs), kitchen and dining area (table and 4 chairs) as well as a large balcony with two easy chairs and a hammock looking straight down onto the beach and sea just a few yards away with a couple of palm trees between us and the waves. Yes, you can just hear the waves gently lapping the shore at night. There was a king size bed and the only real problem was the bottom fitted sheet didn’t fit very well and kept coming off the mattress. Should have reported it but was too chilled to bother. The ceiling fan was silent and cooling and the air conditioning worked well and was included in the room price. The bathroom was simple but there was ample hot water and the shower worked well

The bar was open sided and situated between the restaurant and the beach next to the swimming pool. The local liquor was fine and the staff made a wide range of excellent cocktails to order and the beer was cold. Service at the bar was pretty good even at busy times and there were no restrictions with the bar open from 10 am onwards. Drinks could be taken to the beach or your room in plastic cups.

The only restaurant served the three main meals with afternoon tea served by the bar. Breakfast was fine with cereals, a selection of bread, croissants, muffins etc. Juice, fresh fruit, yoghurt always plentiful. Scrambled eggs, ham and cheese, bacon and sausages on the counter with poached, boiled, fried eggs or omelette available on request. The poached eggs were excellent. The coffee and tea were very drinkable.

Lunch was a buffet with soup and usually a selection of fish, chicken or meat and pasta with rice or local veg and always an interesting selection of salads. Drinks were served at the table and the wine was very drinkable. Unless they were very busy you didn’t have to wait long to get your glass refilled. Desserts at lunchtime were limited.

The dinner was the highlight of the day with a three course meal and coffee served to you at your table five evenings a week. The two buffet evenings a week were quite acceptable but not as special as having your dinner served to you. There was a choice of four dishes for each course, one meat, one fish, one vegetarian and one pasta. The food was very imaginative, well presented and served in adequate portions unless you were very greedy. The menu was on a two week cycle so there was no repetition during our stay. In 14 days only had two poor dishes, one a starter and some dry ribs at one of the buffets. Otherwise the food was of a very high standard indeed and I need to go on a diet.

Can’t praise the staff at the hotel enough. Almost without exception they were friendly, efficient and always ready to respond to a request. Even the gardeners said hello even if they were upset when the West Indies lost a one day international to India which was showing in the TV lounge (The only TV I saw in our entire stay!).

There was entertainment two evenings a week with two different steel pan bands and a manager’s cocktail reception on another evening. We were happy without anything more – happy to chat around the bar or just sit and read. The birds were fascinating and we saw the odd mongoose too.

We had a plug I mosquito killer in our room and sprayed ourselves liberally with repellent particularly early morning and at dusk and had no real issues with either mosquitos or sandflies. Some people suffered very badly, whether because of ground floor rooms, lack of protection or just bad luck I don’t know. The hotel fogged the grounds regularly. Some said the bar area was particularly bad but I personally didn’t notice it.

The beach was about a quarter of a mile of soft sand with palm trees behind. The area immediately by the sun beds and just beyond was cleaned daily every morning. Only once in our entire stay did I feel there weren’t enough sunbeds and a couple of people had to lie on towels. Most of the time there were sunbeds to spare and plenty of beach towels available from reception. There are bluer beaches with clearer water for snorkelling on the island but these tend to be occupied by larger resorts with more people and with less shade and relaxation and more sun beds crammed together – Read the small print and make your choice.

The daily ritual of walking to the end of the beach and back a few times was enough for some guests but the walk to Deep Bay and Hideaway Bay was worth the effort. If you want to go up the hill to Fort Barrington and see the great views suggest you take the “Medicine Man” walk on Thursday at 4-30 as finding the route up on your own isn’t easy and anyway he was very entertaining. A couple of people walked into St Johns but this took about two hours and in that heat we didn’t feel it worth it. The taxi ride was $10 US return each to St John's which wasn’t bad value and we went in twice, once when a cruise ship was visiting and once when there wasn’t. Quite a different atmosphere on each occasion so try both. The cathedral is under repair but the little museum is worth a visit. Otherwise visiting the local shops and those geared to tourists made a great contrast. Don’t miss the statue and birthplace of Viv Richards!

Weather was as expected with a couple of localised downpours over quickly, and a couple of greyish overcast days, with sunshine most of the rest of the time.

Took the Excellence circumnavigation trip which was fine and the Eco tour which was a bit crowded but interesting. (Their brochure says limit is 25 but there were 32 on our trip). Hiring a car for two days meant we saw most of the rest of the Island (English Harbour with Nelson’s Dockyard is a must see) and the prices in bars and restaurants outside made you realise what really good value for money the hotel is.

Room Tip: Junior Suites are bigger than standard rooms. All rooms face directly onto the beach. From a ground...
3 Thank Col07
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Have just returned from our second stay at coconut beach club,We love the location and the abundance of wildlife, the birds and lizards visited our balcony all the time, and if like me you rise at 5.30am you are able to see the bats retiring for the day, for those of you that have hangups about such creatures don't worry unless you really want to see them you won't. Pelicans, frigate birds and cranes are plentiful, and mongoose live in the hotel grounds.The hotel staff are really helpful and proffessional and go out of their way to make your holiday special.apart from the gardeners who I will mention later. The hotel is clean and comfortable the bathrooms could be improved but it is'nt a 5* luxury resort and your'e not paying 5* prices. The food is excellent most of the time and the staff were very obliging if you wanted anything different they would do their best to oblige. There is a big problem with sand flies that we had not experienced before and we think that this is because they have changed the location of the bar, it is now on decking as apposed to the tiled area where it was situated before, it is our opinion they jump up through the cracks in the decking. I was really thrilled on my arrival to find two stray dogs were living on the beach, the sweetest natured dogs you could not wish to meet, guests fed the dogs and I didn,t here anyone complain about them, Apart from the gardeners who seemed to think it was OK to chase the dogs with spades and throw things at them, I think they need telling that the british are in the main a nation of dog lovers and we do not tolerate the abuse of animals, I personally would have sacked the lot of them.I became really attached to the dogs and was heart broken on my last day when the dog catchers came and took them away, the manageress Nicole a lovely young woman did her best to placate me and has assured me the dogs would not be destroyed and has promised to find out what happens to the dogs and has said she will let me know, I will update all you folks who like me enjoyed having the dogs around if she comes back to me.My husband and I had planned to go back next year for a month I'm not sure that we will now as the dog issue really upset me, however I can thoroughly reccomend this hotel as excellent value for money relaxation.

Room Tip: We like the upper floors as the view is better.
2 Thank jenny s
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans
Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts

Been to Coconut Beach Club? Share your experiences!