Coconut Beach Club
US$315
US$236
US$200
  • Breakfast included
Ocean Point Resort & Spa(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$180
Hotels.com
US$436
US$392
Antigua Village(St. John's)
US$176
Jumby Bay Island(St. John's)
US$1,842
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 March 2012

The Coconut Beach Club is a great place to spend your holiday. I stayed with a friend on an all-inclusive Virgin holiday. The rooms are clean, tidy, spacious and comfortable, and refreshed every day. The air conditioning units are a little noisy but leave them on for an hour here and there and you can turn them off at night. The sound from the breaking waves can be heard when trying to sleep, which is what happens when you book a hotel which is 5 metres from the beach – and it is laughable that certain reviews complain about this.

The staff are excellent, they helped us plan a few trips, hire a 4x4 and were genuinely interested, helpful and welcoming. The atmosphere is calm and relaxed, this is not an all-action resort; evening entertainment is a few times per week with a subtle steel band. The resort is adults-only, predominantly older couples, though my friend and I as two twenty-something year olds did not feel at all out of place.

The beach is great, quiet, plenty of loungers (no early morning rush here) and clean sand and clear waters. All Antigua beaches are public but I didn’t see anyone who wasn’t at the resort all week. The pool is also great but seemed hardly used due to the proximity of the beach and perhaps that it was next to the bar (not that I saw this as an issue). I was only too happy to swim and then sit at one end after being handed a rum punch from the bar!

The food is great, a generous buffet breakfast with all the usual options, a two-option buffet lunch and a nice formal dinner (men need to wear trousers and a collar). There is also an afternoon tea which was hardly needed given the amount available at the 3 main meal times but it was a nice way to get people together around the bar, which by the way is a great way to meet other guests and have a chat over a few drinks.

I had heard stories about insect bites, but I had few problems. The resort “fogs” 5 times per week and with minimal insect prevention spray I came home with very few bites. If you are susceptible self-prevention measures are advisable though.

I would recommend a catamaran cruise (Treasure Island) and hiring a car for a day to see the island (Mount Obama, Devil’s Bridge and Nelson’s Dockyard all worth a visit). Shirley Heights on a Sunday night was 80% tourists and only 20% locals so judge that for yourself.

Overall, the Coconut Beach Club was perfect for a comfortable and relaxing holiday. The Virgin description is accurate and if I were to return to Antigua, I would not hesitate to return, as it was pretty good value for money in comparison to other hotels I looked at.

Room Tip: There are 38 rooms, all styled the same but laid out in a variety of ways. Ground floors rooms mean you can sit outside your own patio doors and walk to the sea in 15 steps, higher floors mean you have to walk around the building, which is no hardship whatsoever though!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Jon229
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We have recently returned from our third visit to Coconut Beach Club where we met many other repeat visitors some of whom had been going there for for many years and some for between 4 to six weeks at a time! That speaks volumes in itself.
This is far from being the perfect resort but then there is a clue in the prices charged which are way below those you will be asked to pay in some pretty average resorts on Antigua and where you certainly are unlikely to get such great staff as those at CBC.
A quick resumee of ouir views:
Rooms - basic but adequate, clean and comfortable. AC was a bit noisy but then so are the waves lapping on the shore just a few feet from the room! No TV - fantastic.
Beach - fairly small but with plenty of sunbeds and quiet spots if you want them. The nearest thing to a private beach in Antigua.
Food - Breakfast and lunches are fairly basic fare but generally good with plenty of it. The evening meals are really good and certainly up the standards of some of the restaurants on the island where we have paid $150 US for 2 (half the cost of an AI room for a night at CBC)
Drinks - Plenty on offer and the excellent bar staff will mix some great cocktails if you ask. House wines are perfectly drinkable.
Swimming pool - not a bad pool but right next to the bar which is probably why it is not well used unless you don't mind being the entertainment for the bar customers.
Atmosphere - quiet and relaxing. This is an adult-only hotel (a real plus for us) and the majority of guests are middle-aged plus, but usually friendly and good company. If you want a fun and action-packed holiday CBC is probably not for you.
As far as mosquitos and other pests go, we have had fewer problems at CBC than elsewhere on Antigua and other Caribbean islands. They carried out a frequent fogging routine but, as always in the Caribbean, self-protection is recommended especially if you are vulnerable to bighting.
We will be back next year

5  Thank Beachhut45
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We spent 10 days and it was perfect. Small resort with all rooms ocean front. Not a lot to do but that was what we were looking for. We just relaxed on the beach every day. The food was awesome. There were fish and vegetarian choices each night and great salads. The staff was really nice and helpful. The rooms were dated but very clean and comfortable. I would suggest the lower priced room with out the kitchen; no need for a kitchen with this resort.

Room Tip: Choose the lower priced rooms. All rooms are ocean front and there is no need for the kitchen with the higher priced rooms.
5  Thank Narragansett_122
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I'll make my points in list form for brevity. 1 - rooms are rustic. Could be good or bad depending in your taste. Rooms are circa 1985, but all we did was sleep in them, so it was sufficient for us. 2 - staff is very friendly. You will need to do your own legwork when it comes to seeing the island: limited help in gauging the best catamarans, restaurants, etc. 3 - food was delicious. All dinners are sit down but one night and excellent. All lunches are buffet but varied. All breakfasts are buffet and standard fare. Best part of the club. 4 - very private beach. Perfect for us. No problems getting your own beach chair and "shade station." 5 - no entertainment. If you are looking for dance clubs and luaus, look elsewhere. We had fun without. 6 - demographic is 50-60 years old. Lovely guests, but good to know who you'll be meeting every night around cocktails and dinner.
To do: book Treasure Island catamaran - excellent staff and nice size boat and number of people. Rent a car for two days and check out the island - cheaper and more fun than taxis or buses.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms will be better against the mosquitos - although the bugs weren't as bad as others made them out to be.
7  Thank ncphillie
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Our stay at the resort was arranged through Virgin and no complaints there. on arrival at the \resort we were ment by the manager, Nicole, and all our requirements were dealt with there and then.. Check-in was effortless and we were in the holiday mood from that moment on. Not too sure about the infinity pool and not many people seemed to use it, however, the restuarant was great, menu was varied and something for everyone. The rooms overlooked the beach, were clean, large and well furnished. I couldn't understand the point of the kitchen, a complete waste of space.
I loved all the limed wood around the buildings. Beach clean and the gardens interesting with good potentional. The bar well stocked and drinks readily available.

As for the staff, they were great, every single one of them.

I have to admit that I went to this resort for some serious R&R due to a health issue and rest is what I got. No noisy children, no loud guests, in fact the guests themselves all very friendly, it was like a large 'house party'.

Yes, there are mosquitoes but they were not a major issue and this does not need to be overplayed.

All in all I thought this was one of the best Caribbean experiences that we had had.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family