“Total relaxation”

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Trowbridge
“Total relaxation”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My husband I spent 12 nights at this hotel and had an amazing holiday. The rooms are clean and spacioious and have colourful drapes and bedspreads. They are not luxurious but clean and comfortable and the sea views are amazing and more than make up for any shortfalls in luxury. We cannot praise the food highly enough particularly the evening meals which were presented beautifully. We never had the same menu twice which made a refreshing change from some of the bigger all inclusive resorts we have stayed on. Lunch time was buffet style but again very delicious food. My only problem was the temptation to over eat as it was just so good. The waiters and waitresses were very attentive and always ready to refill your wine glass. There were a couple of days when we were there that the beach became dirty because a storm washed up bottles and cans, but the beach was quickly cleared by staff and holiday makers who were keen to restore it back to its usual beauty so I'm surprised reviewer Michael D found it dirty. If you want a really calm sea to swim in there is Long Bay just a few minutes walk away. This bay is lovely and quiet and perfect for swimming and has lovely views of Fort Barrington. Dont be put off from booking a trip with Frenchie on the beach - he even throws in a bottle of bubbley. I was saddened to read the racist comments of sasktraveler54 who thinks the English should stay in Europe. When we stayed in November there were many English, some Germans, an Argentinian couple and some Canadians and everyone was really friendly and got on well. sand flies and mossies are a problem so need plenty of repellant - some guests sand the Avon Skin so soft worked brilliantly and had hardly any bites.

Room Tip: we stayed in a first floor room which had great views but all rooms have a sea view so really person...
3 Thank TravellerWiltshire0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Food was fantastic! Resort is very dirty, plastic cups,straws,fag butts everywere and very dirty under decking area. Resort is plagued with sand flies that bite frm 1500-0900. Rooms outdated and tired. Much better places to stay.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Michael D
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The location of the hotel was perfect, a short drive to St John's, and off the beaten path so it was nice and peaceful.

The hotel itself was tired, needs a good overhaul. The rooms were clean and the top floor suite was really spacious. The hotel grounds were nice and the beach was perfect (expect for all the washed up jellyfish, which were taken care of every morning).

Then jellyfish came in the bay late morning and were a pain in the [--] trying to avoid them. If you go to deep bay only a 10 minute walk, it was much better (being no jellyfish) and calmer.

The food at the resort got old after 7 days the buffets had limited selection, but was okay, for the 220 dollars Canadian per night it cost both of us we weren't expecting anything great. The meals at night were much better, you always had a choice between 3 meals meat, fish or vegetarian. I tried the fish as often as I could and it was great except for the fish and chips, the fish was battered over the skin and bones, which I think is not very appetizing. I asked some of the English people there and they said it was normal for them. yeah maybe for them but not for Canadians.

Speaking of English people there were way too many of them, most of them aren't that fun, there were a few couples that were great but the majority should have stayed in Europe.

But all in all the island was nice, we took the trip out to Barbuda and it was not worth the $300 American for the both of us, just another Caribbean beach and the sand is not as pink as you read about. Save your money and don't go and enjoy the day at your resort.

That is my 2 cents. take it how you want.

Room Tip: we had a good room on the top floor, a deluxe suite with 2 balconies, We liked it
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sasktraveler54
Point Pleasant Beach
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My husband and I visited the Coconut Beach Club for 4 nights. We were looking for a short get-away which would provide a nice beach, good food and service; but most of all a place to relax. This was the perfect place for all of that. We were given a suite with 2 balconies overlooking the Caribbean Sea. The first night we were there we slept 11 hours due to the peacefulness of the room with the only sound being that of the waves. Food was excellent and the service was outstanding. We arranged a Circumnavigation Tour of the island and a scuba diving excursion through Frenchie who we found sitting near the pool. He goes out of his way to make sure all goes well with the tours and even checked to make sure we liked them when we returned. Highly recommend seeing him if you wish to go on any excursions. We also did the Nature Walk which was offered through the hotel (on Thurs. only). This was an interesting tour with great views. Be sure to wear good supportive walking sandals/sneakers as you will be doing some climbing.
I also went to the spa and had a Swedish Massage and Indian Head Massage. The service provided was excellent, but a little pricier than what I pay at home. I would highly recommend it.
This resort is small and there was never a problem finding a beach chair or getting to eat when you want to at dinner time. We travel each year to a different island with an all-inclusive offer and have never been as pleased as we were with this trip. Yes, the mosquitoes are a pain, but the hotel does do it's best to keep it under control by spraying ever other day. Just remember to bring the Deet with you. The resort is a bit dated, but for us it gave more of the island charm. We truly do hope that someday we will be able to return to this fine resort. Do not hesitate to come here, unless you are looking for a place which has a party atmosphere.

Room Tip: All rooms are facing the Caribbean Sea so it all depends on your own personal preference whether you...
5 Thank specedtcher
reading
Reviewed 14 November 2013

A great place to stay if you are looking for complete relaxation in a very beautiful surroundings. This hotel is small but I find that refreshing as you treated as an individual guest and feel very welcome.
The rooms are basic but cleaned to a high standard every day. The bar is great with amazing and very happy staff serving delicious cocktails from 10am!

The food in a restaurant is really good, I have always been weary with it comes to all inclusive as I am not a fan of recycled food, but this is something different. Each day the food is fresh and displays great variety, as you can imagine there is lots of fish on the menu but it also caters for other meat eaters and vegetarian. The dinner each evening is a la carte, which is a breath of fresh air! the food is amazing I have to say and something that I just wasn’t expecting.

The beach is great, secluded and clean and the sea clear and blue and very welcoming.

I would recommend this hotel to all my friends, I wanted to say BIG thank you to ALL the staff that were just great and so polite and helpful it has made our holiday and we will definitely be coming back.

Just be careful in October as we had a lot of rain!

Room Tip: Ground floor so you can walk straight onto the beach!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank daria o
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

if you dont want luxury but want something akin to the Caribbean way then you must stay at this hotel. We went as a party of 4 to celebrate a 50th birthday and stayed for 10 days all inclusive. The service was brilliant without being over the top and i could quite happily name all the staff here as they were just wonderful people just happy to help.
Its a quite location mostly as there is some nearby loud music at night, beach front rooms which are tropical clean and tidy with all that you will need, Limited usage for phones etc no papers just get away and chill out. The food on the evening is worth the money as its easily 4* and most people stick with the formal dress code which is nice.
No children so you dont have to be on edge with the little ones running around so relax and let the worries of the world pass you by.
Just a lovely place to be.

3 Thank trev h
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I suppose that my memories of Coconut Beach are all the more poignant as I have just come in, back in Derbyshire, from 3c.whereas last week was 30c. I was last in Antigua 30 years ago, I loved it then and I loved my most recent visit. Coconut Beach Club is a bit special, just 38 rooms fronting a lovely and sheltered curving beach bordered by palm trees and leading to beautiful clear sea. The whole atmosphere is relaxed and informal with the simple and perfectly reasonable request that men wear collared shirts and long trousers for dinner. Having mentioned Dinner - the food at Coconut Beach is 4*, varied, nourishing and tasty and, at dinner, particularly well presented. Be warned, it is very easy to overeat! The dining room is simple but perfect for the tropics and within a few feet of the Bar and Terrace. Coconut Beach is 3* but its staff are 5*, lovely, friendly, caring and great fun. I can pay them no greater compliment than to say that it would be unfair to pick anyone out for special mention, nothing is too much trouble, I miss them.
The hotel grounds are well tended and lush. The rooms are fine if a little dated. Each has, at ground floor, a terrace or a veranda at first or second floor levels, each with a hammock and a couple of comfortable chairs, lovely places to be, to look at or to just listen to the sea. The whole place is just great and I would go back tomorrow with no hesitation. The island of Antigua is known for its beautiful beaches, 365 in total! Do see as much as you can - can I plug two full day trips. The Treasure Island Cruises circumnavigation of the island is memorable in so many ways, from the tiny island swimming or snorkelling, to sailing into English Harbour, a great and fun crew. The other is the Jeep Safari, an opportunity to see so many of the islands beautiful features during a fascinating glimpse of its past and present, don't miss Devils Bridge and Shirley Heights.

Room Tip: No need, they all overlook the beach and sea - perfectly positioned
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 3 in Bolans
Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
#10 of 15 in St. John's

Been to Coconut Beach Club? Share your experiences!