“chill out”

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
manchester, england
“chill out”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Well what a place to enjoy the peace, beach and weather-thinking of the terrible rain in the UK!
The staff were all so friendly and professional, but still had time for a chat with you whilst serving breakfast, drinks, cleaning out the rooms....loved it..... sooo relaxing I managed to read 8 books.
We don't really do all inclusive, but the food choices and portions were really good, we loved the cocktails-Antiguan smile-our favourite.
Caribbean Classics with whom we booked, (don't), didn't provide the correct dates of our stay, but the manager came up trumps, moved us towards the end our stay, so our holiday wasn't spoiled.,thank you.
Book it, go and enjoy, relax, have a chat with others, walk along the beach and chill, without the stuffiness of some of the Caribbean.

Room Tip: Book a massage, she is brill
2 Thank KrystynaandDavid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Well the many (mainly Brits) repeat guests must think so. I guess the clue is in the name: Coconut Beach CLUB. It's got that club feel about it and you're a 'member' as soon as you walk in to reception.

This small resort all with beach front rooms surrounded by coconut / palm / banana trees made wonderful by the amazing staff (NB for repeat guests; all your favourite staff are still there) and the superb evening meals.

NB There are NO 'all you can eat' huge bland buffets here - but waiter/ waitress service 5 nights a week with a BBQ style on another and a hot and cold buffet one night.

A first glance your starter course might look 'designer' and a little small but with 4 meals a day (including afternoon tea) it's advisable to take a range of larger sized clothes for those staying more than a week. My biggest problem was deciding what to chose from the menu in certain knowledge that it wouldn't be repeated during my two week stay.

My wife's a veggie and to present different vegetarian starters and mains over two weeks with no repetition is a challenge for any establishment, Coconut Beach Club is 'punching above it's weight' in the kitchen.

All meals are taken in the open sided restaurant with sea and flora views. Breakfast has a wide range of foods to suit most pallets including eggs cooked to order by the egg chef however you like them.

The quality of the food is only beaten by the quality of the staff e.g. I don't walk too well so they installed a grab rail in the shower for me and a built a ramp to help me get down the step from the room to the garden. That said disabled travellers should note there are steps and check before travel re suitability for them. Eg 2 I asked whether people thought Coconut water was a good for people - next thing I know the gardeners up a coconut tree, chops one off, and I've got a coconut with a drinking straw in it.

Those looking of an exciting night 'club' scene will be disappointed but there is local (and good) music on 3 nights a week whilst you're eating or enjoying a cocktail at the bar.

It would be remiss of me not to mention the mosquitoes and sand flies - der you're in the tropics for goodness sake. The grounds are 'fogged' regularly and rooms sprayed by the cleaners but you will need to take precautions - look up what to do on line. We use sunblock and after-sun with repellent in them, spray up at night and over our many visits over many years have rarely been bitten. Guess it would be less of a problem if they chopped down all the vegetation and concreted it all over but I wouldn't be going again (and I am) if they did.

To sum up - to really 'get' Coconut Beach Club please read up on it first - it helps if you've stayed elsewhere in the Caribbean first too (or of course take my word for it) - We've stayed in 4* hotels in Jamaica, St. Lucia, Tobago, Barbados, Mexico, Margarita and a few more besides but this wonderful 'club' is our firm favourite; so much so we've stopped looking elsewhere. After you've been there a day you'll forget how long you've been there; Chillaxed? We certainly were.

Room Tip: Chose between a a ground floor walk straight on to the beach or 1st / 2nd floor with views and tree...
5 Thank THEL0bmeister
West Sussex
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed at the Coconut Beach Club in early December 2013. We were only staying for 6 days and had booked a suite on-line. When we arrived we were told that they had double booked and they could not put us in our suite until the following night and we would have to stay in a double room and move the following day. I wasn't too happy about this as this meant being unable to relax and un-pack after a long flight and also having to disrupt our first day by having to hang around waiting to move our stuff in the afternoon...when we did get moved the following day we were put in a suite with two twin beds..great for a romantic getaway ! The reception staff were not particularly apologetic so first impressions not too good. The rooms are very tired and shabby and definitely in need of an update..it wouldn't cost much to give them a lick of paint but it's nice to have a balcony looking on to the beach. I can understand why lots of people on a budget do return here...it is very chilled out ...so are the staff..unfortunately some to the point of being horizontal. The staff serving breakfast were not very attentive...we had to flag them down every morning for tea and coffee and never once did they do the round to refill our cups so we only ever managed one hot drink at breakfast time.. Breakfast was passable..the scrambled egg mixture and the bacon were often cold and food not replenished when things ran out.Evening meals were nice enough but nothing out of the ordinary and definitely not gourmet standard.We were extremely unlucky with the weather for our short stay..it was monsoonal rain almost every day...this is no-one's fault but of course in this situation, all the guests would run from the beach into the bar area as there is nothing else to do and we frequently had to wait for up to 30 minutes for any of the daytime staff to man the bar..they were too busy chatting in the kitchen...it was really poor service and so guests started helping themselves to the wine and other drinks...the evening staff in the bar and restaurant were friendly and provided much better service... .as said by some other guests...afternoon tea is ok if you are there on the dot..it's a small plate of sandwiches so if you arrive 5 minutes late there's nothing left. In a nutshell, our experience was not a particularly good one. The management definitely need to keep an eye on the service ( or lack of ) I have never been to an all inclusive hotel where the bar is just left abandoned...but i can also see that if you have beautiful weather and don't want to pay a fortune, then this is a relaxed and homely environment and the bar situation does allow guests to mingle and chat...the beach is nice and it's a shame that the management are letting the place get so shabby.

Room Tip: Ensure when you book a suite that you specify you want a double bed as some are twin beds..no idea w...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank JAMWestSussex
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We have had an amazing 10 nights at the CBC. We thought the food and standard of service at the hotel was excellent - we are talking Michelin star for ideas. As mentioned in other reviews the staff are very friendly and helpful. Our room was cleaned immaculately every day and clean towels when ever required. The beach towels were a bonus as I had not expected them. This was our first taste of all inclusive and the Caribbean and it will not be the last. We enjoyed the 3 evenings when there was entertainment, but quickly made friends and enjoyed sitting and chatting in the bar area. The beach and gardens were beautiful. The mosquitoes could be a pain even though the hotel is fogged every 2 days. We had taken 2 machines for the room and had no problem in there. I got better at spraying myself with repellent and stopped getting bitten. My husband eats marmite every morning and did not get a single bite. He did a nature walk with the Medicine man and found it very interesting. He also came back with a plant which was great for curing the bites. We did the 15 minute walk several times to Deep Bay which is a beautiful almost deserted beach and amazing for swimming, An American who was in the sea was heard to say "this is the most beautiful place on God's earth". We will hopefully return, like so many of the other guests, to a little piece of Paradise.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

3 Thank Gwendoline A
Chislehurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful 10 day holiday at this hotel. I am slightly ashamed to say that when we first arrived at the hotel (after a very good flight and transfer by Virgin) I thought I had made a terrible mistake and maybe should have paid a lot more to go to Galley Bay round the corner! That is because our room was rather tired looking with scuffed furniture, peeling paint on the balcony and a rather rusty shower fitting. Also, the white walls seemed to be almost completely covered in mosquitoes! However, it all looked clean enough and the bed was enormous and very comfortable so we headed down to the bar for a delicious rum punch and dinner and there our love affair with this hotel began.....

You have to book a time slot, so of course, we were the last sitting that night but it was well worth the wait because the food at this hotel is wonderful, a different menu every night with such lovely dishes that it was hard to choose and always served piping hot. The wide variety of soups was excellent. The staff at the restaurant and bar are charming and hard working and the atmosphere each evening around the bar and restaurant is very convivial. We went away to have some time to ourselves but we were on friendly terms with lots of other couples without feeling that we had to spend all our time hanging out with them.

We dealt with most of those mozzies on the first night but still got a few bites so we headed to the hotel shop for a can of Baygon which we sprayed round the room each evening as we went out for dinner and we didn't get attacked in our room at all for the remainder of the holiday although my legs got bitten the one night I wore a shorter dress to dinner despite spraying on the Deet. Also, keep the door closed if you go on the balcony anytime after 4pm, it will keep the little critters out.

The beach was gorgeous and I loved swimming in the slightly rough sea, as well as the pool, which is only small but that didn't matter as I seemed to be the only one using it. The sunbeds have seen better days but once you get your fresh towels each day you don't notice too much. If you want a calmer swim in the sea walk through the spooky, deserted hotel opposite to Deep Bay where it is less windy than our beach.

We went on the walk with the Medicine man which was great fun and lasts about an hour and a half. Be warned though that you have to climb quite high up to get to Fort Barrington, scrambling over some rocks so wear trainers rather than flip-flops. Some of our group couldn't make the climb because of footwear or ailments.

After a few days you get really drawn into this place as the atmosphere is wonderful and all the staff are lovely and you don't notice the slightly shabby rooms. In fact, I became quite fond of the room because the aircon was very good and that rusty shower was actually pretty powerful and there was lots of wardrobe space and I never once wanted to sit in the scruffy armchair anyway!

I was pleased I brought some herbal teas with me though because you only get standard tea bags in the room and restaurant. There is a coffee maker that we never managed to work and my husband said he would actually have preferred some instant coffee. Also, if you have a food intolerance I would say to let them know in advance as they didn't have any soya milk but they did say they would get me some if I wanted. The staff are very helpful and if you need anything I would say just ask and they will do their best to help.

We ended our holiday feeling totally relaxed, having met some lovely people and with a great top up of Vitamin D. What else could we want from a holiday that was as reasonably priced as this, although, note to management, this hotel could easily be upgraded with not much cost. We would definitely go back again...

5 Thank Kentpearlgirl
Rutland, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 January 2014

The Good
Steps to the beach from your room, all with ocean views and quiet, tranquil setting. There was no trash. The beach next door at the Royal Antiguan is also worth a visit, as is the hike to Fort Barrington offering amazing views of the coast. We felt safe and welcomed by all.The Staff was friendly (Carl went out of his way to get us fresh towels, Anjel was a pleasure at check-in.) and there are no merchants pushing goods on you while you relax. Nice break from T.V. and no children there while we stayed. Most guests repeat visitors. Was nice to not pay for a taxi back to the airport, courtesy of hotel.
Eggs your way for breakfast as well as fruit, etc..Dinner was well presented and offered nice options, while I was skeptical of the "formal" dinner attire (collar/pants) on vacation it adds ambience. Chilean wine was available and always flowing...glass never empty. Mr. Boston liquors line the bar..bottom shelf...but the mixed drinks were tasty I must say and the bartender experienced (nice cinnamon touch to the punch!). Mini fridge in Junior Suite well stocked on arrival(book directly online)...ginger ale, beer, champagne, water, etc. Steel Pan band 1 night was exceptional and more entertainment would be welcomed.
The Bad
The 4:00pm snack:a limited supply of tiny "quartered sandwiches" is swarmed over by guests like ravaged vultures before it even hits the table because they are usually gone in 15 minutes and you are S.O.O.L. if you arrive late (same goes for dinner sign-up...better get there early at breakfast or expect to be eating a late dinner!). Our Junior Suite connected to another room so I could hear the neighbors blow their nose. The bathroom towels are worn paper thin. Yes the mosquitoes are bad but they do actively fog the property at dusk and they wont ruin your trip. Limited activities but kayaks/sailboat available, little choppy water.
The Ugly
A few curly dark hairs magically appeared daily on the floor, or shower...even when my wife and I are blonde (not the cleanest room, think these might be from other guests/using the same mop or cleaning towels to clean rooms?)The sliding door to our patio had a gap allowing insects to feast at will on me while I slept. Curtains a bit stained. The rinsing buckets for sandy feet are rarely changed and shared by multiple guests...can you say athletes foot? Is a bucket for each room too much to ask?
Overall if you can get over the minor blemishes this is a no-frills paradise. We were one of the few couples under retirement age and perhaps the only Americans as this place is popular among Brits (many portly, all friendly). Staff works very hard but it appears management is dropping the ball a bit on upkeep...I realize we Americans have a higher set of hotel standards than most but I am far from pretentious. All in all- You can have your "Sandals," I'd stay at Coconut Beach Club.
Tips:My wife took garlic supplement for several mos before our trip and didn't get a single bug bite! Also, please help the local charities such as the Amazing Grace Home in St John if you can spare to pack some childrens supplies etc., give back to this island.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Junior Suite at the farthest end from the pool, neighbors only on one side and shor...
4 Thank Tiredtravel
Surbiton, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We spent Christmas and New Year 2013 here and were very impressed by the whole experience. Friendly and attentive staff, comfortable hotel and facilities. Spacious rooms. Magnificent pool. All 28 rooms are sea facing on beach edge. All meals were all inclusive and good quality. Met many repeat guests who were good company. Only downside no fault of the hotel was the throb of the base live music played at weekends across the bay so pack your earplugs - lasted until 5am one night!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,248 reviews
Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts

Been to Coconut Beach Club? Share your experiences!