“Bay House Restaurant”

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
St Martin
“Bay House Restaurant”
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We didn't stay at the Hotel but spent quite a few hours at the Bay House restaurant during our layover in Antigua on the way to the UK and again on the way back to St Martin. We had already done this before in the summer as our layovers are around 4-7 hours and the Bay House is just perfect, quite close to the airport, very comfortable chairs in the restaurant, awesome views, comfy lounge and poolside areas. The food is not gourmet but delicious fresh home style cooking and reasonably priced. The cocktails are awesome especially the Hurricane (Happy hour starts a 5pm). On each of the four occasions we have spent here the ladies in the restaurant were fantastic, they were friendly, helpful and made us feel very welcome, service was efficient. Highly recommend the Bay House and look forward to our next layover!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
We are so happy to see that you enjoyed our Bay House Restaurant a number of times during your visit to Antigua. Wishing you All that's good in 2013.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Nassau, New Providence Island
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I stayed at the Trade Winds Hotel twice between October and November last year. The first stay was about two weeks, and the next one was closer to a month.
Staying at a hotel that long can get claustrophobic, but the staff at the hotel made me feel very much at home for my stay.
From my first stay, most of the restaurant and front desk staff knew me and would always say hello and have a bit of chit chat. The staff at the restaurant would be sure to let us know about any local festivities going on, or local food that we should try.
The food at the restaurant was always very good. I liked the breakfast in particular - the yoghurt, french toast and full english were my favourite items on the menu. The soups were also always very good.
The hotel is a bit older for sure, but it is well kept. My room was always well cleaned, and there is wireless in the rooms, and restaurant. I had a big balcony to my room overlooking Dickenson Bay, which was a lovely view to wake up to in the mornings. There was also a couch set in the room which made the space seem more homely.
I never used the television very much but it was fairly dated.
The pool is small, and I never used it as I went to the beach down the road instead.
I would stay there again if I were to go to Antigua for business or pleasure.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Hello Shivani, Lovely to receive your most positive comments and we do hope that we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future. Refurbishment on the room block that you were staying in should start in the next few months, with the other 2 room blocks having been recently refurbished.

The Team here join me in wishing you and yours All that's good in 2013.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Spent two nights here and overall it was ok. The rooms are a nice size and clean, there is plenty of water pressure and the view off of the balcony was beautiful. The property is not on the beach so you would need a car or be willing to walk a few miles to get to a public beach. The food at the Bayhouse restaurant was good but the service was terrible and the food expensive (Things were brought out in the wrong order, we had to ask for utensils, napkins etc....) no attention to detail. The swimming pool is nice but very small and that is about the only amenity on the property. Also, if you are relaxing by the pool in the evenings be sure to wear bug spray. We got ate up on two different nights. Again, the most important thing to be was that the rooms were clean but I will probably not return to the hotel based on location and lack of amenities.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Hello Eric,

We thank you for your positive comments as well as the constructive criticisms of the service received in our Bay House Restaurant which will be given my personal attention. We do promote our property as having a soothing sense of tranquility and seclusion with numerous activities nearby. Again thank you.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We stayed in the Trade Winds for 7 days in early Jan. Hotel staff was very helpful with all our requests for trips/taxis/food recommendations, very cheerful and great service. Hotel is a top of the range 3 star hotel, rooms have everything you need: comfortable beds, minibar, TV and amazing view of Dickinson bay. It's a 10 min walk from the beach and 15 min drive from St John. The restaurant serves very good food, try the Lobster and the stuffed mushrooms. As for the waiting staff in the restaurant, we only had top notch service having eaten there 4 times in one week.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
St Johns, Antigua
Reviewed 17 November 2012

The title speaks for itself. We ate here at the hotel's Bayhouse Restaurant this morning and the staff: 1) wouldn't stop chit-chatting so we didn't get seated for 15 minutes in an empty house 2) didn't come back for an hour and a half after they took our order to ask "what did you all order, again?" 3) brings out 3 rolls for 4 people. We finally get our food another hour later, on the dot. We finish eating in 10 minutes and wait, again, for some one to come give us our bill. No one does. I finally get a hold of one of the waitresses and ask for the bill. She comes back with the bill all on one ticket (we needed 3 separate tickets). We ask her to split it up and she says to accompany her to the bar to do so. I oblige, and when we get up to the bar another waitress says we should have told them before hand (in the most rude and ignorant tone i've ever seen a waitress do to customer at any establishment in my life). YES, because we had so much time to tell the waitress that we needed 3 tickets while they were completely ignoring us. SORRY MA'AM, THAT WAS DEFINITELY OUR FAULT!! So how do they try and split up the bill? Waitress #2 tells waitress #1 to just split the bill in half... At this point I'm frothing at the mouth because I'm so angry after having suffered their disrespect for the last 2 and a half hours. I deal with waitress #1 telling her to put my order separately from the others, finally pay, and I'm about ready to leave when I realize they 1) charged us for things that we didn't even order 2) added a 15% charge for "hospitality" on to the bill. I'm a student here on the island, and I will never go back. Do yourself a favor and never come to this restaurant, yourself.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Mississauga,Ontario
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Myself and fiancee visited a friend who was staying at this hotel and spent the day there. The grounds are beautiful and make an immediate impression. We instantly wanted to stay there. The room was very spacious as was the balcony and had nice Caribbean style furniture. The bed was very comfortable and the room was perfectly clean. The only complaint was that the water pressure in the bathroom was insanely low and the shower only gave a trickle of water. I am led to believe this must have been an unusual circumstance and was perhaps due to bad weather at the time. The restaurant was a nice atmosphere however it is pricey and service was slow even for something as simple as a side of french fries. There is a small but sufficient pool. The property would be very nice for a small group, or people who want a relaxed vacation. The beach is a close drive/walk/shuttle away. We will be back to stay ourselves but will probably eat elsewhere that is more affordable.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2012

The site is wonderful and high - truly a trade wind hotel. The amenities aren't the finest, e.g. a small pool. But if you want to tour the island and come back to a relaxing hotel with wonderful staff, this is it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business