“Good Hotel. It Feels Different.”
Review of Trade Winds Hotel

Trade Winds Hotel
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a good hotel to stay at and it feels different from other hotels that I've been to. I say this because the check in area has this rustic appeal from the tiles to the opened reception area.

Check in was easy and smooth.

Then the difference continues with the layout of the hotel. The reception area is at the top of a hill, and then you walk down the hill until you reach your room. My room was 1, so I had to walk all the way to the bottom of the hill to reach it.

What's worse is that the conference room and restaurant is also at the top of the hill; there are no elevators. Every morning I got my daily exercise; sometimes two to three times a day. However I'm one who cherishes every moment that I get to walk so I did not let that spoil the experience of the hotel.

I will expound on some of my ratings.

Service:
3/5
There was this one occasion where I sat at a table for breakfast and waited 20 minutes without being served. I had to walk up to the waiter and asked them to visit my table, which then took another 10 minutes. I was truly disappointed with this service as no apology was given to us. This is the only negative service that I had, but it lingers in my head.

Value:
4/5
The price for the meals are reasonable. You really get a good portion of food for the price that you pay.

Location:
4/5
The location of the rooms could be better. It did not bother me, but I believe there are persons who may complain about all the walking. I have to reduce points for the location of my room, 1, as it was located next to the road. I constantly heard vehicle engines passing by.

Rooms:
3/5
The room is very spacious. Large bed with a couch and still a lot of space to walk around. It made you feel very comfortable. However the bathroom leaves a desire for more. While the room is big, the bathroom area was very small. I found myself being uncomfortable when taking baths. The bathroom wall could be pushed in so that the tub area could be expanded on.

Conference Room:
Though there is not a rating for it, i'd give it 4/5.
It's a great facility for business meetings. However it's unfortunate that a toilet was not placed directly in the room. The screen used in it should also be bigger.

All in all, this hotel has a lot of potential which I believe could be improved on through some infrastructural work on the room and conference room. One thing that I must applaud the hotel on is the friendliness of their staff. Approximately 90% of their staff, whether security guards, grounds men, house keepers etc always greeted me when we walked past each other.

I would recommend this hotel for persons to stay at. It's nice to experience this differences in accommodations.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms from 1-5 if you want a good view. Also Ensure that you ask for a room on the top floor...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Many thanks for your review of your recent stay with us.

We are pleased to hear you found our rooms comfortable, service, food and staff good. Our apologies for the occasion in which it took over 30 minutes to receive service at our Restaurant and your complaints have been shared with F&B Management to address with their team.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our conference facilities and your suggestion on closer bathroom facilities is duly noted.

Thanks again for choosing Trade Winds Hotel, see you again soon...HAPPY TRAVELS.

There are newer reviews for Trade Winds Hotel

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Friendly and efficient staff - check in process was smooth and efficient - helpful security/bellmen. Great view of the bay. Food fresh and served quickly when under a time crunch. Sammys Taxi Service, recommended by the hotel, were on time, friendly and very knowledgeable about the country. Will definitely stay here again on my next trip.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay and experience at our hotel. We are very pleased that your stay was comfortable and service smooth and efficient. We've shared your kind remarks to Sammy's Taxi Service and he sends his regards and thanks.

Thank you for choosing Trade Winds and we look forward to seeing you again soon...HAPPY TRAVELS.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Tradewinds Hotel (Conference Facility) was used to facilitate an important conference for which I was invited to participate (3rd Quarter Optimist International Caribbean District Conference). Before arriving in Antigua (first time visit), I took a virtual tour and was very pleased with what I saw. Upon my arrival to assist with bits and ends, I was completely blown away by the layout and the ambiance of the conference room and its surroundings. It was very spacious with the right amount of lighting and a view to die for. During my breaks, I can admire the sea and the pool area, get a glimpse of Sandals Grande in the distance through the windows. I would recommend Tradewinds based on my experience. Keep it up Tradewinds!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank LanaLatetia
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for your excellent review of your stay at our hotel.

We are very appreciative of your comments about our business facilities, atmosphere, restaurant and staff. We do understand that training seminars and conferences can be tedious and we are glad that our environment was calming and relaxing.

Thanks for the wonderful pictures you've shared.

See you again soon...HAPPY TRAVELS!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Being on a hill we had excellent views over the sea, the downside being that the walk back up the hill from the beach was quite tiring.
The room was clean and comfortable but the bath was a problem in that the plug didn't work, or the shower and there was no hot water.
The staff were perfect, so friendly and kind and the meals we had there were of very good quality.
Would definitely go back because of the lovely relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay at Trade Winds Hotel.

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your menu options and that you found the atmosphere and rooms comfortable. Our apologies for the issues you experience with the bathroom and I hope we were able to address them efficiently. We do offer a free shuttle service to and from the beach and on your next visit our Reception Team would gladly assist.

Thanks again for choosing Trade Winds Hotel, see you again soon...HAPPY TRAVELS!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

The rooms are very basic, and if you are lucky enough to get air conditioning that works in your room, it will probably make a loud banging sound!

If you want to order room service, you can order it by phone but then you have to go and collect it from the bar...

The actual staff are lovely.

If you are looking for an interesting night then I suggest you try the Island punch!

The walk to the beach is quite difficult! It's down a very steep, winding road that has no pavement so you have to watch out for cars. When you get to the beach there are a few nice bars, and the local people are truly lovely.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for taking time to comment about your stay at our hotel. We apologize for the issues that you encountered while staying with us and your complaints will be investigated.

We also do not advertise being a beachfront hotel and we do offer a FREE shuttle service to and from the beach.

Again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

A very reasonably priced hotel giving a high standard of room and restaurant. Staff were helpful and prompt with there service. Reception was first class. The split level room was well laid out, spacious and well equipt. The best part of our stay was the restaurant............inventive and excellent food. We were going to eat away from the hotel but given the quality of the first nights meal, we stayed in at the hotel every night. The only downside of our stay were two American 'gentleman' who sat at the bar every day and evening telling anyone who would listen tales in colourful language with their volume turned up to MAXIMUM. They consumed vast quantities of alcohol every day and when we asked staff who they were we were told that they were PILOTS!!!!!

Room Tip: Room 51 would be a good choice.............junior suite I think.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ctwrose

Thank you for your wonderful review of our Hotel and Restaurant. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and your dining experiences and have shared your comments with Chef Hodge and his team. (Please accept our apologies for the loud guests this is usually not the norm)

We also appreciate the positive comments and the kind words about our staff who works very hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and satisfied with their stay.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again during your next stay in Antigua...HAPPY TRAVELS!

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Excellent Service and nice people! I really enjoyed my stay, even if it was only for 24 hrs. I'm Definitely choosing Trade Winds again when I revisit Antigua! I love the view of the rooms! All the tropical trees makes it special!

Room Tip: Choose rooms 29 and up!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful comments on your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that your stay was comfortable even though short and that you enjoyed our beautiful property and views.

Thank you choosing Trade Winds Hotel...see you again soon...HAPPY TRAVELS!

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. John's
Siboney Beach Club
#6 of 16 in St. John's
Jolly Beach Resort & Spa
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua

Been to Trade Winds Hotel? Share your experiences!