“My Lovely Second Home”

Blue Waters Antigua
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 20 February 2014

What can I say?!! This is my second home. I absolutely love Blue Waters and the staff are wonderful - there are far too many to name but mostly I would like to thank Andy for making this hotel such a great place to stay and also my stay was so relaxing and to come back time and again is such a joy. The gardens are beautifully kept and so gorgeous. My room in Block 100 (Iam not giving the number away in case someone books it for when I want it again, which is soon!!) was so peaceful and to hear the sea just underneath is something you cannot get anywhere else in the world. The restaurants are extremely inviting and clean and so are the main facilities. The Cove is a wonderful place to dine in and I would love to have breakfast there!!! This is a short review as I cannot fault my whole holiday and Blue Waters. I have already booked to come back in October. I can't wait to see you all!

Room Tip: The rooms in Block 100 are superb
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Mabelsouthwest
BWTeam, Manager at Blue Waters Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters, and consider it your home away from home!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

This was my second stay at Blue Water’s, and it was even better than the first. The hotel has the right mix of good food, an excellent location, good facilities and excellent staff.

If you choose to stay here, I would recommend the deluxe beachfront rooms however try to avoid the block to the left of the Pelican bar as you may be disturbed by evening entertainment. On arrival also obtain a copy of the restaurant opening schedule, and work out which suit’s you best. So if you prefer a ’la carte rather than buffet, you can choose either Bartley’s or the Cove on those nights. Use the whole resort, with three small beaches and pools, try a different one each day rather than the same view each day.

Make you sure you visit the beach bar, especially late afternoon a small but bubbly group usually gather and it’s a great place to end the day. The hotels greatest staff member, Carolyn also runs the bar. Carolyn represents everything that is great about Blue Waters, always happy, always relaxed, always smiling, always laughing with the guests and sure knows how to mix the drinks.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Matthew S

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters, and were impressed with the resort's facilities, in particular the Beach Bar.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

So hard to know what to add to previous glowing reviews of Blue Waters, after our 7th trip. The joy is to be remembered and welcomed back by so many of the lovely staff, always taking the trouble to say hallo and to anticipate one’s needs and preferences. Great to see so many familiar faces. Manager Andy Howard is often to be seen, leading by example, and giving a personal touch to the treatment of individual customers. In many other places, the appearance of the manager means something’s up that needs to be fixed – but not here.

The public areas are now fully refurbished and very elegant, though some of the rooms are seeing a bit of wear and tear. And they still have those crazy clock radios that stop with every power cut (almost as regular as clockwork this time – a couple of seconds outage between 8.00 and ten past every morning) and that seem impossible to set to show the right time. Weird, but maybe not something to worry about when you’re on holiday!

The gardens are especially magnificent this year, overflowing with bougainvillea and hibiscus; the only annoyance being the new slope, presumably for buggies or other wheeled chairs or carts, down the stairs to the ‘beach pool’, because it prevents use of the handrail by those like myself that have mobility difficulties with steps. Perhaps a new rail on the other side would help, and indeed a metal rail like the one on the central pool would improve the steps into and out of the pool itself.

The three restaurants are better than ever, with more nights open at Bartleys and the Cove, providing a wider range of options, so more choice of local or international menus. Breakfast is always superb.

Like many other visitors we recognised, we’ll be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mwheatley5

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters, and were impressed with the resort's service and facilities.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

From the many reviews of Blue Waters, there are a number of areas which keep cropping up - for good reason! The staff, gardens, service, overall location and peaceful environment (until UK half term suddenly occurred) were superb. The food, whilst not Michelin star, was very good and considering my wife is a veggie, there was plenty of choice for us both. When i say veggie, she does actually eat fish which is plentiful, local & superb!

As I mentioned, Half term arrived the day prior to our departure and whilst all seemed to be well behaved, children simply being children obviously raise the volume slightly.

Our accommodation was the Cove Suites which are not only truly lovely but attract perks - they are almost akin to a boutique hotel within the main hotel.

Our only criticism as coffee lovers was a lack of such at the pool or beach bar - I'm sure Gwen will get this sorted for next year!

Sufficient to say we will be returning.
Stayed 5th - 15th Feb 2014

Room Tip: cove suites are a real luxury if you can push to it
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank coffeeman22

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters, and were impressed with the resort's service and your Cove Suite accommodation.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed at the Cove Suites, Blue Waters for a fortnight from the end of January. We have had some wonderful holidays, travelling to the Far East, South Africa and a Caribbean cruise, but this holiday was one of our very best although, I am sorry to say, the most expensive.

We had a bad year in 2013 with family bereavement and so were very ready for a relaxing break. This hotel met all our needs and nothing was too much trouble. For instance, we are not keen on duvets and so cotton blankets were immediately offered.

Our suite was beautiful and very spacious with a huge bathroom, slipper bath and separate shower. Photos show the view from the balcony. We were on the first floor. The ground floor rooms lead directly out to the pool area. The Cove Suites consist of seven suites in each of four villas. They are located very peacefully at one end of the resort, so they do entail a bit of walking, although not hilly. There are three suites on the ground and first floors of each villa with a three bedroom penthouse as well. The bed was extremely comfortable and very large. The air conditioning is virtually silent and there are two fans as well.

Each villa has its own large private pool. We were often the only people using it. The hotel beaches are small but we just used them to go down for a swim and then come back to our suite.The sea water was not quite as flat and clear as I had hoped. The weather during our visit was mostly very good. However, be prepared for some rain (liquid sunshine) which does not seem to last long. We found the temperatures, around 28 degrees by day, much pleasanter than those in the Far East, where it can be very hot and humid.

There are three restaurants. The main one is The Palm, offering a wide selection of food, which we thought was of a good standard. There are two speciality restaurants. We were on a fully inclusive basis (which includes almost all drinks and food) but note that The Cove allows expenditure of only $50 per head before a supplement is charged. I recommend 'fully inclusive' as it just saves a lot of hassle. You may find It hard to eat everything on offer, which includes afternoon tea. The mini bar is stocked according to your requirements.

The staff at the hotel are brilliant. Nothing is too much trouble and they are very obliging. The manager, Anderson Howard, runs his hotel superbly. He is very hands on and almost always in evidence in The Palm restaurant to talk to residents and keep an eye on the staff.

We decided not to hire a car. The island is not well signposted, so cars are fitted with sat navs to help you find your way. We had several outings by taxi instead. We went to the capital, St John's, where we visited the interesting museum - slave trade and sugar plantations. We also did the tour of the south west of the island, visiting English Harbour, Shirley Heights (magnificent views) and Nelson's Dockyard.

We flew with Virgin from Gatwick premium economy. The flight times were eight and a quarter hours going out and seven coming back.

Would we go back? In a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Cove Suites if you can afford them.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank filemaker

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I'm at Blue Waters as I write this, We are sooooo impressed, the staff, the resort, the cleanliness, the quality of the rooms (we're in a deluxe beach front) We have stayed in Antigua 6 times at different all inclusive resorts and this is the best by far. OK it's the morale that you get what you pay for ! It really is quality, so whatever you do don't come here, cause I want it all to myself ! [A.Shandley]

Room Tip: Don't stay in it, get to the beach ! ..... Seriously I can't fault the place!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Adrian S

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters, and were impressed with the resort's level of service and quality.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

A little overdue but here is the review of our 'weddingmoon' in November 2013!

We arrived in a torrential downpour on 2nd November and with the wedding planned for the 5th I was a little concerned as we ran across the tarmac at the airport to passport control. I needn't have been, the weather improved day by day for our stay and our wedding day was perfect.

As soon as we drove through the gate and down into the tropical paradise of Blue Waters main entrance I was struck by the same feeling as our first trip - relax, its beautiful and we made the right choice.

Last time we stayed in the main hotel - 1st floor room block 3, which was very nice. On this trip we took the opportunity to view all the room styles on offer including rock cottage which was undergoing a refurb at the time so all I can say on that one is the location is stunning, you have your own private headland and the cottage appeared to be being fitted out to a high standard - befitting the blue waters standards of excellence.

The Cove suites are set in 3 ocean side blocks and 1 block set behind on the hill. they are all 3 story with 3 rooms on the ground and first floors and the whole second floor is a stunning penthouse - 3 massive double bedrooms - each en-suite, kitchen/lounge/dining room area and a balcony spanning the whole width of the building. Each block has its own pool and the cove section is for cove guests only, you have full run of the resort.

My brother and his partner stayed in a Cove Suite the night of our wedding and were exceedingly happy with the quality of the room. A nice entrance area , luggage room/walk in wardrobe, massive comfortable bed with a seating area, balcony and bathroom. The bathrooms are beautifully appointed with his and hers sinks and a roll top bath, the only observation is the novelty of the draw back louvered wall separating the bathroom from the bedroom. If your squeamish about hearing 'bathroom noises' then this isn't the room for you, however if you enjoy the modern concept of having a bath in your hotel room then throw the shutters back wide and splash away! I guess its a marmite situation - you'll either love or hate it! But one thing is for sure the room standard is high and the Cove suites are worth the extra.

We stayed in the Penthouse for 2 nights and couldn't get over the space we had and the absolutely stunning uninterrupted view from the amazing balcony. The suite would be perfect for a group or family. the 2 main doubles would have sufficient room for extra beds and the 3rd room is a very comfortable high standard double hotel room. The Penthouse is fantastic, the only word of warning I give is if you have reduced mobility or trouble with stairs this is not the right accommodation for you. there are no lifts and it is 3 flights of stairs to the suite.

Ultimately we had what in my opinion is the perfect room for a wedding. I say room - it was a house! Pelican House is centrally located on the property at the foot of the peninsula which we chose as the location for our ceremony. Pelican House is essentially split down the middle and mirror imaged. it can be booked as a 6 bed villa, 2 - 3 bed villas, or separated into 1 bed and 2 bed villas in each half. We had the 2 bed option which was PERFECT!

You have a hill side 'front door' and patio doors out onto the private pool area. the ground floor has a well appointed kitchen and dining table big enough for 6 comfortably. a downstairs loo and a few steps down to a beach style comfortable lounge area with sofa, chairs coffee table and TV. It really is beautiful and is nice to sit in the evening with the glow of the pool just a few steps away.

Upstairs we had a twin room and our main bedroom appointed with a beautiful four poster bed with white organza drapes. Both rooms had lovely en-suite bathrooms with walk in shower area and roll top baths, his and hers wash basins and soft towels and elemis cosmetics.

I really cannot recommend highly enough that if you are getting married here and your budget meets it - book Pelican House - you will not regret it!!!

My previous review covered our experience of the resort. The food is still of exceptional selection and quality. The staff are still some of the friendliest, hard working, genuine people I have ever had the pleasure of staying with. The slight changes we noticed when we were there enhanced our experience, you were now able to book your evening meal 2 days in advance instead of on the day which worked well. They now have a resort power boat available for booking. The games room had had a lick of paint but would still benefit from better air conditioning and new seating. some better options of board games would be nice. dominos, scrabble etc etc?? Please refer to my previous review in January 2013 for additional resort info which remains extant.

With regards to actually getting married here - Book it, you wont regret it! The wedding co-ordinator is Mandie and she is a lovely lady - always smiling and cheerful. You will have to go to the town hall to get your marriage licence sometime prior to your wedding day. Mandie will come with you and she takes care of all the requirements, this took us about 3 hours as there was a back log after a public holiday weekend, but the actual process took about 5 mins!

The wedding day itself we had booked the ladies into the Spa for hair and make up with a few mani-pedis thrown in for good measure. As a typical bride I was a little nervous about how I would look not having had the opportunity for practices like you would do back home but Gwen and her team are amazing. Ladies take your foundation with you and any specifics you may want but the team have everything you would need otherwise. I was thrilled with my make up done by Gwen on the day it held well and looked great in the photos. My hair is untamed with a tendency to frizz in the heat and any humidity but again these ladies know what they are doing - leave it in their hands and you will come away feeling like a princess. lots of hairspray later and it all held beautifully! There were 5 of us in total and we were there pretty much all day until the wedding at 3. The salon has everything we needed but I would say that 5 of us with staff filled it. If you have a larger group you need to discuss this with them and make sure they have advanced warning to get extra pairs of hands in for you.

The wedding cake was excellent. we chose the vanilla sponge and it was delicious. we brought our own cake topper but otherwise they will organise a floral display for you.

I had a very specific idea for my bouquet which I sent pictures of to mandie ahead of our arrival. It did mean I needed to bring some of the diamante sprays with me from the uk (they could have sourced them locally but it would have been at a significantly higher cost than I could get on-line!) but Mandie took the bits to the florist ahead of time and on the day the flowers were perfect. The florist did a great job.

We chose the gazebo for our ceremony and had a choice of the decoration style and colour. Initially I wasn't going to bother with the chair cover option but I am glad we did, the finishing touch looked lovely. The only concern I had was about what would happen should the weather be less than Caribbean sunshine on the day but Mandie knows what she is doing! there are a number of other locations you can use. Personally my back up plan was up at the spa with a beautiful bougainvillea trellis and the Caribbean in the background - but all under cover! Alternatively there is the cove restaurant or on the beach! I would recommend against stiletto heels, I found some beautiful wedges which were ideal for the walk to the gazebo, if you are planning on heels then perhaps look at getting some heel-stoppers as they will help when standing on the grass areas.

We chose a steel band to play for my arrival and during the photographs. If you have a specific song then i'm sure they can organise this with enough notice, we chose 'can't help falling in love with you' by elvis/UB40, but you can be more traditional if you wish!

We left our guests enjoying canapés and fizz whilst we went with our photographers to various spots around the resort that we had scouted previously. I am very fussy with images and had researched our photographer options months prior. We went with Antigua Brides - Janet & Joseph Jones. I CANNOT RECOMMEND THEM HIGHLY ENOUGH! They met with us 2 days prior and we discussed the type of thing we liked and some specific shots we wanted. They co-ordinated what time they would arrive to get pictures of the final preparations and getting all the little details before the big event. It was great working with them as they are an intuitive team each with a different take on a shoot - one likes close up one likes more wide shots so you end up with a great selection. They were not intrusive at all and I loved having them with us on the day. At the time of our wedding they were not on the blue waters in house books so we did have to pay a hotel day pass fee to have them but I am glad we did!

We chose Blue Waters for our wedding having looked at Barbados, St Lucia and other options because the hotel is one of the only ones we found that made your day special and not just a wedding factory. The wedding gazebo on the peninsula is one of the only places I found in the Caribbean islands I was considering where your ceremony is private and special without random people in speedos in the background. At the time of booking we were told it was a maximum of 3 weddings a week and only one on any day. I understand they were looking at increasing this to 5 a week which is still better than next door at sandals where you may be bride number 5 of the day! But personally I would have been a little put off if there were daily weddings as I would worry you would have a wedding factory feeling. There was a wedding the day before ours but that was all we saw in the 10 days we were there.

We had a fantastic time and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Blue Waters to anyone planning a holiday or Wedding.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Haviatrix
BWTeam, Manager at Blue Waters Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters, and congratulations once again on your nuptials! We are thrilled to have been a part of your big day.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. John's
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village
COCOS Hotel Antigua
COCOS Hotel Antigua
#1 of 2 in Jolly Harbour

Been to Blue Waters Antigua? Share your experiences!