“Wedding in Paradise!”

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wedding in Paradise!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I got married at Blue Waters on May 1st and I couldn't have asked for it to be any better! Everybody at the resort went out of their way to fulfill every wish that we had and they truly exceeded our expectations. If you are considering getting married at Blue Waters I would not hesitate, the beautiful grounds and gardens make for stunning wedding photos with the turquoise water in the background. If you are just going to Blue Waters for a regular vacation this resort is for you if you like it more on the quiet side with pure beach relaxation during the day. The crowd is a bit on the mature side and we saw very few children even though if you wanted to bring children they would enjoy themselves as well. It's a great resort to go a few couples or family/families. It's small enough that you will run into who ever you came with without looking for them but big enough to find privacy if you wish.

Breakfast and lunch is at the main terrace bar and the food is good. The best dinner restaurant is the Cove and that's where we had our wedding reception. The food was outstanding and all of our 26 guests said it was the best wedding food they had ever had. The main chef is relatively new at the resort from the UK but he has worked for Gordon Ramsey so he definitely knows how to cook a great steak. The other restaurants are good as well but since it's only 3 dining options total you may get bored if you stay over a week. The staff are wonderful and they really go out of their way, especially management, by the end of your stay you feel part of the family. Only a few servers were not smiling and were a bit slow but other staff will make up for that by being over the top accommodating instead.

We stayed in a Cove suite and those are beautiful with your own pool only shared with the other occupants of the Cove suit. The regular rooms seem a bit small so if you can afford it I would stay at the Cove, although you'll still be spending most of your time on the beach and at the pools.

As far as choosing the All Inclusive plan or not depends on a few things. Breakfast is already included, it is very good and will keep you full for a long time. In the afternoon they have complimentary tea/coffee with little mini sandwiches and scones that could hold you over till dinner if you wanted to. We like our cocktails so we chose the all inclusive plan and therefore ate lunch in addition to the breakfast and also ordered room service. The lunch at the terrace is ok if you know how to order so don't be afraid to ask for what you want. I don't eat bread so none of the sandwiches was an option for me, however instead I asked for the steak sandwich without the bread and salad instead of fries for a side so basically I got a steak salad and that was really good.

On the all inclusive plan no premium alcohol is included which and we ended up paying full price for premium vodka and tequila which was not cheap. On the plus side I actually liked the house wines that was included, both the white and red and I can be pretty picky with my wine. Also, again even though we paid extra for it, Andy the manager went out of his way to make sure that whatever bar we were sitting at there was a bottle of Patron Silver that we had requested (which they only kept at the Cove restaurant originally). The room service was ok but again even though we were on the all inclusive plan there was a $16 delivery charge so one morning when all I wanted was a pot of black coffee it still cost $16. My summary of the All Inclusive plan is that it can be worth it but you have to be careful because it's not "unlimited" and many times they don't tell you about the charges.

Finally, when we left the resort to go on to our honeymoon to St Lucia we were able to leave our extra luggage at Blue Waters containing my wedding dress and my husbands suit etc. That was so nice of them and saved us a lot of hassle lugging it around. We returned a week later to pick it up and all of the staff greeted us, still remembered our names, gave us hugs and seemed genuinely happy to see us one more time. Blue Waters is truly a unique family resort and I can highly recommend it for a beautiful and relaxing week long vacation.

Room Tip: The Cove suits are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Gabrielle L
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your wedding and honeymoon at Blue Waters, and that we were able to make your big day extra special.

The Blue Waters Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Turkish first
United Kingdon
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I were married at Blue Waters in May this year - it was THE fairy-tale wedding. Mandie, the magnificent wedding planner, went above and beyond to make our wedding truly special. If you are thinking of getting married here, do not hesitate, she is incredible and every tiny detail will be taken care of, you need not need worry about a single thing.

Gwen, the stunning and fabulously talented makeup and hair artist did my hair and makeup, she is just beyond amazing and will make you look like a film star! I also had a few treatments at the wonderful spa (which has tremendous views of the sea), I've never felt so relaxed.

Just a note.... although we were married here the weddings are so discreet they don't impinge on other guests and are set away from the beach and on a private peninsular.

We stayed here for 12 nights and cannot find fault in anyway. This really is a first class hotel, we had a deluxe beach front room which was perfect, providing postcard views of the beach and sea - truly breath-taking. The room was newly refurbished with a fantastic bathroom, huge bed and adequate space for two. Our maid did a fantastic job of cleaning our room, providing plentiful fresh towels and luxury toiletries - don't forget to tip these hard working people - they don't expect it but they deserve it.

We visited the cove suites which are absolutely stunning but if we booked to stay here again we would definitely choose the deluxe beach front room, waking up to the sound of gentle waves and then watching the pelicans, humming birds and manta rays in their natural habitats is possibly the most wonderful vista one can experience.

The crystal waters and powder white beach is small but perfect and never too busy. The grounds are immaculate and the people... well I echo every reviewer here, it is the people that make this resort outstanding. There are too many people to name, but Margaret was a dream to deal with, as well as Yvette, Emmanuel, Jason, Carolyn, Wingrove, Tramaine, the Managers who did the rounds every day making sure your holiday is perfect. The wonderful girls and boys on the reception desk were a pleasure to speak to as were all the staff... they were all phenomenal, never a miserable face in sight. We wish we could name you all.

We hired a jeep for 3 days (with complimentary picnic hampers provided by the hotel) and toured the whole island, enjoying the most beautiful beaches! Antigua is a safe place to explore and the people warm and friendly waving at us as we drove by.

We have travelled the world and never go back to the same place but with Blue Waters we just cannot wait to visit again - it is in a class of its own. Blue Waters is an exclusive, elegant and classy place to stay, we were all inclusive (which is totally worth the expense) and ate at all 3 restaurants but Palms was definitely our favourite (we ate from the Menus rather than the buffet).

We made some great friends here which is very unlike us when we go on holiday as we usually keep ourselves to ourselves but the hotel gave everyone a sense of closeness and happiness. Ladies, if you like to dress up on an evening, take your dresses and heels, this is a place where you can glam up for dinner.

Blue Waters, we cannot wait to come back and now understand why so many of your visitors return. We cannot understand how this hotel isn't rated No.1 in Antigua - it should be.

Room Tip: We love the Deluxe Beach Front Rooms, Cove suites are stunning and away from the beach if you are a...
2 Thank Majnouna69

Kintnersville. PA
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I just got back from Blue Waters on Sunday, May 25 after an eight day vacation. I made the decision on the resort based on the input on tripadvisor. It was a beautiful resort that is over thirty years old but I think that is part of the charm of this unique location. The architecture is very Caribbean, with dark wood and open rooms and is really a classic design and layout of the entire resort (especially the ceiling in Bartleys restaurant). Everything was well maintained and taken care from the lobby, the grounds, the room and the restaurants. We made arrangements with the hotel to have a taxi pick us up and Louis was there after we got our luggage with a wet towel and a cold water for our 15 minute ride to the hotel. We were greeted by Margaret with a rum punch when we arrived and taken to our room (107) overlooking the beach. Our room had nice amenities and had an updated bathroom that included both a bath tub and a shower.

We choose not to do the inclusive and were able to have a generous and delicious breakfast and high tea included in our room rate. We tried all three of the restaurants and decided that we liked the Cove Restaurant the best for our dining experience. The view overlooking the ocean at night was very tranquil. I agree with other guests, that the menu selection could be upgraded but the meals that we had were very good. One suggestion I do have, is to have the high end liquor available at all bars and restaurants not just at the Pelican bar. I like Grey Goose and it was available at the Pelican Bar but the bartenders had to go "get it" when I had a drink at the beach or pool bars. This also occurred when I had dinner at the Cove and it was not available because of the distance to the Pelican Bar. My husband and I choose not to do the "all inclusive" because we like to venture to local restaurants and did so several nights and Jason made the necessary taxi and dinner reservations. Jason also let us know about the local tradition of the Sunday night event at Shirley Heights which was a 40 minute ride to a mountain top park for a barbeque and steel band.

The resort is located in a residential area so it does take 10-15 minutes to travel to a local restaurant and costs $30 (US) round trip but worth the expense (Le Bistro, La Bussola, Papa Zouks were all very good). We had Chebouy York as our driver and he was terrific and full of information about the island and very patient to wait for us while we dined, sometimes up to 31/2 hours without a complaint. Kudos to Blue Water management, they told us that if we decided anytime during our stay that if we wanted to do the all inclusive, we would then be able to make those arrangements. I cannot speak highly enough about the entire staff at Blue Waters. They are extremely accommodating and sincerely want you to enjoy your holiday while at their facility. Every member of the staff was pleasant and welcoming. Carolyn, Tramaine, Joe, Pearl, and Brian were great hosts at the bar. Wendy and Shellene gave great assistance in the gift shop. For Americans, the high tea in the afternoon was terrific break in our day and Nellicia was always there with a smile. The WiFi capability throughout the property was also a plus.

Although the beach was not a long beach it was very clean and refreshing. It is considered the Atlantic but the water was calm to slightly choppy at times, depending on the wind. The sunsets were beautiful from the beach or from the pool bar. The water sports included kayaks, hobie cats, snorkeling gear and the arrangement of jet skis was really enough to enjoy the surrounding beach. There were always fresh towels and plenty of lounge chairs. I am not sure how accommodating the beach area would be in the high season but we found it very accessible during our stay. The one area of improvement I would suggest to management, is that the consistency of the treats of sorbet and wet towels should be the same time and everyday, something to look forward to on the beach or by the pool. We also took a catamaran excursion around the island, Wadadlicats, that really provided us with an understanding of the island and its beautiful beaches and other locations that we would like to visit on our next trip.

If you are looking for a vacation to totally relax, disconnect andt take advantage of a personal and attentive resort, I would highly recommend this property. I do plan on booking another vacation Blue Waters in the near future.

Room Tip: Our room 107 was located very near to the beach and to the restaurants (not the Cove - you would nee...
3 Thank salevix
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters, and were particularly impressed with the resort's level of service and hospitality.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is a very rare review from me, but had to write. Spent 9 days All Inc. at Blue Waters, in a superior beach front upper floor. This was a lovely room, of "nice" proportions and size, with lovely well appointed bathroom. Great very private balcony. On our last trip away we had a suite in the Venetian in Vegas. That was fantastic and enormous, but we enjoyed our room at BW equally (in a different way). For a romantic week and a bit, it was perfect. Didn't see the Cove suites, but for 2 people, can't see the point!! Food was good at worse and excellent at best. Cove restaurant quite nice, but pricy for what it was, and because it was dark, the view was a bit lost. Just go once for a change. Italian night was excellent at the Bartley restaurant, but only OK when it was Caribbean night (maybe we chose the wrong dishes). Generally Palm restaurant was v good. Lots of choices, all good. Tablecloths and waiter service for mains at night. Lots of sunbathing options through out the gardens, by the pools or on the small beaches. The sea was fantastic and bathing great. Main Bar was very good as were the beach bars. All the comments about the staff are accurate. Pearl gets a special mention, but she was by no means unique, but I can't remember the names. Met The GM couple times as well as the chef. Hard an island trip in 4X4 with Marcus, booked through hotel thanks Jason). It was a great way to see the island in an entertaining and educational way. We did have him to ourselves, however, which I'm sure was the best! By the way, unless you want Chateau Lafitte, just stick to the 4 house wines. Perfectly good to us and included in AI price. I wouldn't hesitate to go back even though this was our first visit to the Caribbean, and would certainly recommend. I thought the value was very good. Booked via Ryan Doyle at Travelbag, who I've used before.

Room Tip: A bit on it's own, so will need a taxi if you want town
1 Thank Kingabys
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Blue Waters. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the resort, and that our level of hospitality didn't fail to impress.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently stayed in a Cove Suite at Blue Waters for eight days with our 8 month old son. We found the hotel to be beautifully presented with great amenities, landscaping, sea views and plenty of pools to choose from and a wonderful Caribbean beach to relax by. The beach is great and was not busy providing plenty of sun beds for guests to use.

As we were with our young son we decided to go for the all inclusive option as it was not possible to go off site in the evenings for dinner. The 3 restaurants on offer provided a range of different and high quality food choices with lovely settings to enjoy. We especially enjoyed the Cove restaurant which offers a beautiful seaside setting.

The staff were also exceptionally helpful. From the private Cove Suite concierge service to the courteous wait staff, maid service and babysitter everyone was keen to make our stay as enjoyable and easy as possible.

We also met a lot of lovely guests during our stay which made the holiday even more special. We would definitely look to go back Blue Waters and would recommend the hotel to anyone who is looking for a beautiful Antigua holiday location that offers everything you need and want when on vacation.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank MrKalf
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive review. We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters, and that our all-inclusive option was suitable.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife & I stayed here in the Cove Suites for 3 nights in April 2014.

We were very warmly welcomed on our arrival and throughout our short visit we were constantly impressed by the quality and friendliness of the staff.

This was our first visit to Antigua although we've been to a number of the other Caribbean Islands and it is fair to say it's not our favourite island. Having said that we really enjoyed our stay in Blue Waters Cove Suites and we would happily return if returning to Antigua. Our suite was very spacious, clean and had all the mod cons we needed. The balcony overlooks the pool and ocean and the setting is generally quite private (the pool is one of 4 for Cove Suites residents only).

The hotel grounds are very attractive. We didn't go to the beach, so can't comment on it.

The only weak point in Blue Waters was the food quality (not the service). Of the 3 restaurants we probably enjoyed the food most in the Palm whereas the 2 'fine dining' restaurants (Cove & Bartleys) were simply not in the league advertised. The views at the Cove Restaurant are great, however, and make it worth a visit, but, based on our experience, don't expect the food to match them.

All in all Blue Waters is a great hotel sadly let down by the food quality.

Room Tip: Cove Suites are worth the money.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alastair_8
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters, and that we could make your first trip to Antigua a memorable one.

Fleet, Hampshire
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Amazingly, our photos completely matched the brochure pictures as this place really is as it appears. The hotel is very relaxing and feels special, the staff are all lovely, especially Carolyn at the beach bar who made our daily trip to the beach a joy. You get cold towels and fruit in the morning and sorbet in the afternoon served by great characters on the beach and by the pool. The Cove suites get hourly bar service coming round to keep you in water and fab cocktails. We went on the all inclusive deal which is very good value for all you get here. We had the most relaxing and chilled out time ever, and are planning a short break back to the Cove suites in the autumn. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Go for Cove suite if you want an extra special stay as it is very peaceful and the rooms are to die...
3 Thank Janet B
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive review. We are delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay at Blue Waters, and that your time spent sunning on the beach was successful!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. John's
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans
Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa

Been to Blue Waters Antigua? Share your experiences!