We chose Blue Waters based on earlier recommendations from guests on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed. The hotel completely matched our expectations-the setting was sublime, the staff exceptionally friendly, the room (a Cove suite) perfect for our family to share and the facilities and ambience outstanding. We learned to snorkel, took Hobie Cat 'joyrides', were taken snorkelling on the reef, Kayaked as well as exploring Antigua through a rental car (through Tropical Rentals; newish, though a bit dented!). Standouts were:
1. The Cove Restaurant- a fantastic setting to watch the sun go down.
2. The staff- Garry at Breakfast (with Doreen) and Andre stood out but absolutely all the staff were charming and made us feel completely welcome- nothing was too much trouble.
3. The Cove suite- a superb view over the Caribbean sea that was impossible to get bored with.
4. The breakfast- full English and continental in the Palm Restaurant- we're returning considerably heavier than we left!
5. The setting, beach and grounds of the hotel- really these were just beautiful-exactly what we expected of our first Caribbean trip.
What to look out for:
1. We went on the breakfast plan rather than all inclusive- it made more sense for us, but the menus are expensive : $20-40 for most main courses in the evening. The "All day" menu is better value during the day ($15 for a wrap and salad, or a Club Sandwhich). I think this reflects that food is expensive overall on Antigua. The price difference between The Palm restaurant, Cove Restaurant or Bartley's isn't too much- go for the Cove Restaurant where possible, though the menu doesn't changed often. Bartley's is nothing too special- best to stick to the Palm or Cove, I would say.
2. The children's menu is very good value (e.g. a good Burger etc for $8)- and can be delivered to the Cove or Bartley's restaurants.
3. St John's is worth a visit briefly- but it’s crowded with traffic and pretty run down, with not many shops worth visiting. Avoid Cruise ship days.
4. Stingray city is expensive ($50 each, free for under 5s) but worth it: it was a fantastic 1.5hr experience.
5. Fryes Beach is superb, with Dennis's bar nearby for a cocktail or Tonic. Half Moon Bay is also great, though wilder with more waves.
6. Devil’s Bridge was not really worth the trip, though it's near English Harbour and so easy to combine on a trip out.
6. The road signage is appalling- all the words have faded from the signs. That said- the island is small and its not too hard to find your way about with a map.
7. The Epicurian is a really good supermarket on the way into St Johns. It even has a small 'Waitrose section'!
Overall we had a fantastic stay at Blue Waters. The hotel is idyllic and the staff outstanding. It's not cheap but so much better than, for example, the St James Club (we visited for lunch one day- it was like Butlins).
Thank you to all at Blue Waters for making our stay live up to our high expectations. The other guests were also all friendly, laid back and made the whole visit a pleasure. A superb holiday that will be hard to match.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the North West Corner of Antigua where crystal clear waters lap onto secluded white sand beaches, Blue Waters Resort offers an island paradise. From your personal welcome, complete with cooled scented towel and rum punch, you will realise you are our valued guest. Featuring small secluded beach coves, seven freshwater pools and 17 acres of lush tropical gardens, Blue Waters provides the ideal setting for relaxing days by the pool or on the beach, cocktail in hand, or for reading a good book in the shade of the swaying palm trees. Having gently evolved and constantly improved over 50 years we offer a range of luxuriously appointed rooms to meet the needs of our guests, from hillside rooms in a garden setting to beachside rooms with renowned spectacular ocean views. For the more active guest we offer complimentary watersports, tennis and a newly refurbished gym. Our recently opened Elemis Spa and Hair Salon with its stunning ocean views provides a perfect setting for a pampering treatment or as part of a wedding package. Finish the day off dining at one of our 3 restaurants, each with a different ambience to suit your mood. Our staff is ready and waiting to welcome you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Destinology, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Ebookers, TravelUp, Holiday Gems, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Blue Waters Antigua reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Waters Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Blue Waters St Johns
- Hotel Blue Waters
- Blue Waters Hotel Antigua
- Blue Waters Antigua Saint John Parish