“This is a long one, but should be helpful!”

Blue Waters Antigua
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
New York City, NY
“This is a long one, but should be helpful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

As you can easily see from the pictures this place is gorgeous and well maintained. So many other reviews talk about the wonderful service and the friendliness of the staff. It’s all true. I will try to stick to practical info in this review – what I would want to know before committing money to a place.
We stayed in the Cove Suites (Building 3), which was the furthest from the main lobby. I liked the privacy and quietness of this building, but basically buildings 1-3 are the same and 4 is furthest back so you will have the view of the other buildings in front of you instead of the beautiful blue waters – felt happy with our location upon seeing that. I spoke to other guests and a family stayed in 100 block said it was gorgeous but the sound of the ocean affected their sleep – a good problem to have I thought. I imagined I would have found it relaxing.
We did the Bed and Breakfast plan, which was ideal for us. Actually we thought it was a better value because unless you are big drinkers you would probably spend less even if you ate all your meals at the hotel. I noticed there were added charges for top shelf liquor and for eating at “The Cove”, which we would have incurred because when we do drink we prefer certain brands. Coming from the US, restaurants all over Antigua tend to be fairly pricey even by NYC standards that being said it wasn’t completely outrageous. It’s all relative.
There were plenty of great meals to be had all over the island. Coconut Grove is where my wife said she had the best lobster (I actually thought the best one she had was at “The Cove”), The Larder serves a large variety of food including Sushi which was a good change of pace, Hemmingway’s in St. John’s is a great place especially during Carnival for its excellent seating above the action – great food and drinks too. Le Bistro is old school French food that was a bit stuffy, but overall a great experience (Three words – Banana Cream Pie!). I recommend you get out and explore! Although, the breakfasts were excellent and we didn’t eat lunch often but that ones we had were all good.
We also did the Sunday party at Shirley Heights. Since it was on the south part of the island a taxi was pretty expensive. Luckily for us we found our cove neighbors and another family to share a large minivan and it was less than half the cost. It was also a great way to get to know people – we had a blast with beautiful views, good fairly priced beers and drinks, tasty BBQ and great music and dancing. One of the best times I had on vacation. Make friends and share costs – great way to do things.
We also booked an excursion on a Wadadli Cat for sailing, snorkeling, lunch and relaxing. One of the best parts was when most of the others in attendance were dropped off at Jolly Beach and we had the boat to ourselves for the next hour since Blue Waters is the last stop. Great experience!
All staff is friendly and provide great service, but I will relay two incidents that shows you the level of their commitment. The first night I wound up having a major migraine headache and we forgot to pack anything that could help. The gift shop was now closed so my wife spoke with the concierge, Gwen who told us that the hotel can’t dispense any medicine (understandable, why would a hotel expose themselves to a liability even for giving out aspirin), but told her where to go to purchase. Upon seeing my wife’s apprehension in going out in a taxi alone Gwen took her in own car. She would not accept any money for her time or fuel. Gwen is a concierge that is world class and a true gem for Blue Waters. Never in all my travels have we experienced such kindness and caring for our well-being (Thank you so much again, Gwen!).
The second incident is during breakfast – I wanted some plain yogurt to finish my meal there was no more in the case. I asked one of the staff and we were waiting a bit for it to come. Andy, The Gen. Manager, as he usually does, was walking around and I mentioned jokingly about the yogurt situation. He said he would look into it and returned personally with a plate and two containers of yogurt. He could have easily delegated this to someone on his staff, but it just speaks volumes about how much they truly look after you and provide some serious personal attention to your needs.
Before I booked, I was on the fence about a resort that allows children, but found there was no need for concern. It must be the type of people this place attracts because all the children there were extremely well behaved, pleasant and fun to be around. They were more mature than many friends my age! lol (The vast majority of guest were from the UK I didn’t meet any other American guests during our stay – I don’t know if this has anything to do with it). (Big shout out to George and Will – if we could’ve been guaranteed our kids would turn out like these two we would’ve had kids! So great meeting you guys and your awesome parents.)
There were a couple of issues to report – all relatively minor. The AC at night seemed non-existent, but I find this at most resorts and hotels. Usually during the days the rooms are freezing cold when you are not in them – it doesn’t make too much sense to me because I would rather have a nice cool, comfortable room to sleep in. Gwen, upon check-in, said if we had any issues with the AC we should call her instead of trying to adjust it ourselves.
I also would have preferred the beach pool (with Carolyn’s bar) to have a deeper section. This was a great place to be to listen to the beach and you could easily take a dip in the ocean or the pool, but it was a little too shallow for my liking.
Our last complaint was my wife calling the front desk at 7:30 am asking for a golf cart (buggy) to pick us up at 9:30am to bring our luggage to the lobby and we would have time to eat breakfast, check out and depart to the airport at 10:30am. We called a second time at 9:35 and the girl at the front desk thought we wanted it at 10am. We called yet again at 9:45 and the front desk was “surprised” it wasn’t there already. We waited five more mins and took our own luggage to the lobby, which is a far walk from Cove suite 3. This was a major aggravation to have on check out. I still find myself getting angry thinking about it, but fortunately the rest of the trip was so overwhelming positive!
This is the kind of place that guests return to again and again. In fact one person said they have been there 5 times and this is the best experience they had so far. In his assessment it just keeps getting better and better – I can see why. The management is very hands on and seems to constantly making adjustments and improvements.
Also I recommend booking through a competent travel agency. We choose Tripguy.com again – Mitch is top notch and I swear he never sleeps! Always responding promptly to my emails day or night. I also feel you get better service or an upgrade if available when booking through an agency where both the resort and agent have a mutual beneficial relationship. Mitch at Tripguy.com helped arrange champagne and treats on check-in as well as a “in-room champagne breakfast” to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary.
That’s my review – the great, the good and slightly negative. Now stop reading and just go to this fabulous place to have an amazing vacation!

Room Tip: Cove Suites - Quiet and Private. Rooms in 100 block seem like a great view!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
28 Thank MVExplorer
BWTeam, Manager at Blue Waters Antigua, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters, and that the resort's facilities and level of service were of an impressive standard.

The Blue Waters Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Turkish first
LONDON,UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed here in June and had a fantastic time. Decided to spend a little extra and stay in the Cove Suites. Would absolutely recommend it-a beautiful infinity pool which we had pretty much to ourselves most of the time. Lovely big bathroom and bedroom. All the shower products are Elemis which makes a change from the cheap alternatives!
The main feature however was the staff-the most friendly and helpful that we have ever come across. Our concierge Gwen was amazing as were all the staff. The restaurants were great and The Cove has a stunning location by the sea front. We did the boat trip to Barbuda and would recommend sea sickness tablets as a really rough ride! Also used the Elemis spa which was fantastic. Great for both families and couples.

Room Tip: Cove suites great as long as don't mind not being close to beach or main hotel. Higher floor wou...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Mellow009
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the resort's facilities and service did not disappoint you.

Marigot Bay, St. Lucia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed at Blue Waters Hotel last week and the hotel is just getting better and better. The service is immaculate. The staff are extremely professional and help full, the setting of the hotel is beautiful with a lovely beach and pool overlooking the Caribbean sea. The food is the best I have ever had in Antiqua for years - well prepared and well served. the rooms are spotless and everything is just so clean and tidy. the price of the hotel is very reasonable for what you get in return. So if you are going to Antiqua this is the place to stay and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Julietta S

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 weeks at the beginning of May. We were recommended to this hotel by friends and we were not disappointed. We had a fabulous holiday from start to finish. A lovely welcome from the beginning which just expanded throughout the holiday. Great room with sea view, block 200. We stayed on an all inclusive basis and overall, the food was to a very good standard and varied, as sometimes with AI, it can be repetitive! The Cove restaurant made a pleasant change in the evening and we loved the complimentary buggy rides from the main hotel. All the staff were very attentive, we were fortunate to be there for the naming of Carolyn's bar (well done Carolyn, you were great fun) by the beach pool, a nice experience and just shows how the management/owners look after both their staff and residents. We enjoyed cocktails at Veronica's bar, however just open for half an hour longer to enjoy the sunset as it is the perfect location for this spectacle. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SJ-NHAMAC
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters, and were pleased with the resort's facilities.

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed here a few weeks ago with my wife on a 2 week vacation:

Overall I thought this was a really nice resort with superb staff who try hard to make sure you have a good holiday.

Locationwise it is good. 15 mins from airport and with a private beach with lovely white sand and clear blue water.

The hotel itself has some great swimming pools with pool bars and a nice bar atached the hotel itself. The restauarants are good, too. You can book the Cove, which overlooks the ocean, a day in advance. It seemed to be open about 4 nights a week. Bartleys seemed to be open a few nights a week, too, and this is bookable a day in advance also. The main restauarant, The Palms, is a la carte and open 7 nights a week. They do a BBQ every few days (lunch or dinner) which was great with lots of fresh fish.

We were based in the '1 block' at one end of the complex. The rooms were comfortable and relatively basic and cleaned to a very good standard by housekeeping every day. Our initial room had an adjoining door and we could hear everything from next door (normal noise like kettles being boiled and talking etc) so got moved to one without an adjoining door. This was much better and the front desk were ok about it.

The thing that really makes this place is the staff. There are so many to mention but Andy the manager is a good guy. In the restauarnats and bars Andre, Paulette, Shane, Melecia, Pearl, Delisa, Jenny, Sheneke, Emmanuel, Rosamund and Romaine spring to mind but there are so many staff it is hard now to remember all their names. All lovely people. Jason on the travel desk was really helpful and well mannered and a pleasure to deal with.

Special mention must go to Jason, the Head Chef. I've never seen anyone work so many hours every day. He must work around 16 hours a day and is extremely welcoming to all the guests, taking time out of his day to come over and speak to you on a 1:1 basis. He is always dreaming up new ideas for the menu too, which is great. Eating the same food every day for a few weeks could get quite boring but this wasn't the case here. The variation on the menu was great and his beef wellingtom was superb (better than what we had at the savoy grill before we left)

There was some building work going on in the 2 block, next to us, which was very noisy. We spoke to the desk and they were great about it too, ensuring the work started a bit later in the morning and offering to move us. We had moved once so didn't want to move again. The manager sent us some canapes and champagne as a gratuity for inconvenienc was which a really nice touch.

Overall this is a great resort with great people and you could do a lot worse.We thouroughly enjoyed our stay and would go back again if we were to visit Antigua.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank raouldukelondon
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters, and that the staff helped to make your stay even more special.

Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Just returned from a truly fabulous time at Blue Waters. The whole place is beautiful and extremely well kept. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a Penthouse in one of the Cove Buildings and it was stunning, the view was spectacular as was waking up to the sound of the ocean every morning. The staff here are friendly, funny, knowledgable and do all they can to make sure you are having an enjoyable time. We were all inclusive and were apprehensive as we like to eat out but the restaurant choice was great and food of a high standard. All inclusive wines were good standard too including their champagne! Read and believe as with all the other reviews we thought Blue Waters really was excellent.

A huge thank you to all the staff at Blue Waters, we had an amazing time and can't wait to return :))

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Cove Suite if you can they have their own pool, are spacious, beautifully furnished and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank FussiMare
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters, and were pleased with the resort's facilities and level of service.

Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We chose Blue Waters based on earlier recommendations from guests on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed. The hotel completely matched our expectations-the setting was sublime, the staff exceptionally friendly, the room (a Cove suite) perfect for our family to share and the facilities and ambience outstanding. We learned to snorkel, took Hobie Cat 'joyrides', were taken snorkelling on the reef, Kayaked as well as exploring Antigua through a rental car (through Tropical Rentals; newish, though a bit dented!). Standouts were:

1. The Cove Restaurant- a fantastic setting to watch the sun go down.
2. The staff- Garry at Breakfast (with Doreen) and Andre stood out but absolutely all the staff were charming and made us feel completely welcome- nothing was too much trouble.
3. The Cove suite- a superb view over the Caribbean sea that was impossible to get bored with.
4. The breakfast- full English and continental in the Palm Restaurant- we're returning considerably heavier than we left!
5. The setting, beach and grounds of the hotel- really these were just beautiful-exactly what we expected of our first Caribbean trip.

What to look out for:

1. We went on the breakfast plan rather than all inclusive- it made more sense for us, but the menus are expensive : $20-40 for most main courses in the evening. The "All day" menu is better value during the day ($15 for a wrap and salad, or a Club Sandwhich). I think this reflects that food is expensive overall on Antigua. The price difference between The Palm restaurant, Cove Restaurant or Bartley's isn't too much- go for the Cove Restaurant where possible, though the menu doesn't changed often. Bartley's is nothing too special- best to stick to the Palm or Cove, I would say.
2. The children's menu is very good value (e.g. a good Burger etc for $8)- and can be delivered to the Cove or Bartley's restaurants.
3. St John's is worth a visit briefly- but it’s crowded with traffic and pretty run down, with not many shops worth visiting. Avoid Cruise ship days.
4. Stingray city is expensive ($50 each, free for under 5s) but worth it: it was a fantastic 1.5hr experience.
5. Fryes Beach is superb, with Dennis's bar nearby for a cocktail or Tonic. Half Moon Bay is also great, though wilder with more waves.
6. Devil’s Bridge was not really worth the trip, though it's near English Harbour and so easy to combine on a trip out.
6. The road signage is appalling- all the words have faded from the signs. That said- the island is small and its not too hard to find your way about with a map.
7. The Epicurian is a really good supermarket on the way into St Johns. It even has a small 'Waitrose section'!

Overall we had a fantastic stay at Blue Waters. The hotel is idyllic and the staff outstanding. It's not cheap but so much better than, for example, the St James Club (we visited for lunch one day- it was like Butlins).

Thank you to all at Blue Waters for making our stay live up to our high expectations. The other guests were also all friendly, laid back and made the whole visit a pleasure. A superb holiday that will be hard to match.

Room Tip: Cove suites, blocks 1-3 are quiet and directly on the seafront.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Trypadvisor-101
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters, and were able to take advantage of the variety of water sports we offer at the resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. John's
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,224 reviews
Hermitage Bay
Hermitage Bay
#1 of 7 in Saint Mary's

Been to Blue Waters Antigua? Share your experiences!