“Comfortable”

and 1 more site!
City View Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 17 December 2009

This was my second time staying at the Hotel.
The Hotel is more suited as a travelling for business purposes.
There is not much of a view from the Hotel, except for the roofs of near-by houses.
There isnt a pool, however there is a gym.
The food is tasty but not Great.
Room was clean, free WiFi and a Kitchenette, flat screen Tv witha small balcony.
When checking out, staff usually move a bit slow, so make sure you are never in a hurry.
The front desk is not always reliable on doing wake-up calls, so set your personal alarm.
But I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank TravellingAudit0r
CityViewHotel, Management at City View Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2009

Thank you very much for taking the time out to write a review. The management and staff at City View Hotel & Sapodilla Restaurant strive to offer an exceptional experience at our 3-star business hotel.

With regards to your experience while you were checking out, we are deeply sorry for that.

We do appreciate your feedback and I have forwarded the full comment to our General Manager, and all heads of departments.

Thank you for your recommendation to friends and family members to visit The City View Hotel & Sapodilla Restaurant.

Reviewed 21 July 2009

I was surprised at all the negative reviews - though I only stayed one night, I found the staff friendly, the rooms big and clean, nice shower (plenty of towels, usual free toiletries), good air-con, iron, safe... AND free in-room wi-fi. Quiet too, and the food (and the service) at the restaurant was great.

In fact, all I could relate to in the other reviews is that the room is so big the TV feels like it's miles away from the bed!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Stayed at this so called hotel for sometime.....as a person thats very familiar with all types of hotels and motel this didnt fit any of the two....it is more referred to as a "Mauby Shop" which is a terminology the locals use when describing a business that is operated by individuals with no level of education...majority of the hotel staff were obviously not trained and you could see they were just taken from the streets and given a job....especially where management is concerned...i happen to meet a young lady by the name of Christa that works the front desk and she was very helpful and made my stay just a little better...to show you how ridiculous this hotel was the front desk supervisor didnt even know how to check-in a guest and numerous times had to ask for help....i did laundry there also that took days to get back to me....their restaurant needs a lot of improvement and their prices were ridiculous...honestly i think anyone would be better off staying at the airport hotel atleast there is stickey wicket, might be expensive but sure as hell worth it and you can walk to the airport instead of paying a hefty taxi fare to go City view hotel which didnt even have a shuttle service for passengers. Just what i experienced. hope this helps.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2009

In all my reviews I have never had to reverse an earlier opinion after another visit, but try as I have today, I'm forced to agree with the abundance of negative reviews on these rude and arrogant people. In August of 2008 I stayed here and was very impressed with the property and the staff, and I posted a review. This was in complete disagreement with all previous reviews.

Alas I have returned to this very clean hotel, only to be greeted by the most adversarial and rude front desk staff I have ever encountered. The leader of the pack, Melanie was and is (I'm still here in hotel) without question the most inept and offensive front desk person I have had the misfortune to deal with. I own a business and I would fire her and her boss immediately, but this place seems to revel in it's misstreatment of patrons.

My reservation was specifically for "the best room you have" and I was quoted a rate, but when my wife and I arrived at noon today, I was told that the rate was for a standad room and the rate for the best room was $29 more. Then shortly there after my phone rang and it was the front desk telling me that the rate for two was $18 more again. Fine... I have a high ignition point, but then I was told that we would have to wear some stupid green wrist bands at all times because of some really stupid ideas about security and free breakfast buffet. I'm sorry, but the last thing I want to do in a foreign city is wander around wearing a green wrist band telling all that I'm a tourist with pockets filled with dollars, so I can be mugged.

When my wife asked for a key when locked out, she was told "one key only per room", and was refused entry. My response .... " Well then why am I paying for two people." Two people --- two keys... pure and simple. The compliment of towels is one per person... no more. The front desk I believe reflects the attitude of management which thinks that patrons are fortunate to have this property available. No pool, No Hot Tub, No Beach, a bar that is always closed and looks like a Denny’s, and an attitude like we’re staying at Sandals. I’m truly sorry for stearing anyone to this hotel with my earlier review.

Actually, I'm told that this entire island is having problems with respect to tourism, and these attitudes may be a part of the cause.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scaleman
Reviewed 8 January 2009

Our room was supposed to be guaranteed for late arrival and was paid for in advance. That didn't prevent the hotel from giving away our room when LIAT had delays. We did get a clean room with no coffee pot and a shower in a closet which had 3 minutes of hot water. The restaurant didn't open at 7:00 as promised but the breakfast was a fine continental buffet. The price was the best we could find, but $178 for 6 hours of sleep is a bit steep in my book. Warning: the church is right across the street and the bells ring for 10 minutes at 6 AM. It sounded like they were right outside our window (and in fact, they were!!!!)

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 4 October 2008

I will get straight to the point.

I stayed at City View Sept 28 to Oct 3 2008

I read the reviews listed here about City View Hotel and was distraught after finding out that my company had booked us at this hotel.

Honestly, it is not bad at all...

The reception clerks were friendly and helpful. They addressed our concerns immediately. i remember there was a beeping sound the first night we reported it the next morning and it was resolved when we returned to our room that night.

There is an internet cafe downstairs that's free and closes around eleven thirty pm or so. The restaurant was in fact a bit pricey but there are many local food joints around so you wont starve.

The room was always cleaned each day, fresh towels, beds made it was always smelling pleasant.

i honestly had no problems staying at City view and will recommend it to anyone especially if you are on business.

It is easily accessible its right in the city but you don't hear the noise of traffic etc.

Its not a Sandals etc but City View deserves a lot more than wheat some persons were saying.

experience it your self.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 7 February 2008

I am an Tourist just visiting Antigua to get away from the cold back home,but to be honest after checking in this Hotel here in beautiful Antigua i just want to pack and go back home with the lousy service i receive here at City View Hotel in St.John's,,first of all the Front Desk is not much help at all and the Restaurant service needs improving and no hot water since my 5 day stay there,,i recomend this Hotel a hell a way from home.
To turn your strategy into reality, you must create an environment that builds employee pride and quality. It is absolutely vital that customer service be a long-term, everyday commitment that employees believe in. Otherwise, employees will think it just another passing management fad that will fade away after a brief flurry of activity like so many other programs. They've seen it all before and if they don't believe it, it won't succeed
Sorry about this review, but its the truth.

Tom

Inn La Galleria
Inn La Galleria
#6 of 15 in St. John's
Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts

Been to City View Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!