“My lovely home away from home.”
Review of Siboney Beach Club

Siboney Beach Club
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I must have stayed at Siboney a dozen times now. It was such luck that I found it the first time -- a rare gem of a boutique hotel (~10 rooms, all with a sweet garden view balcony/patio) with warm, attentive staff. Laid back, yet professional. On a lovely beach, with a good restaurant. The owner and his staff have helped me in innumerable, invaluable ways: directions to the best health food stores, clipping newspaper articles for me and saving them for when I return, arranging special meals with the chef, etc., etc., etc. I'll be back again soon. Way way better than any all-inclusive mega resort. Character, style, comfort, charm, warmth. This is the real deal.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ayana J

Reviewed 11 July 2013

My partner and I visited the Siboney Beach in Nov/Dec 2012, yes it's taken us all this time to write this review! We had a wonderful stay. The hotel is classified as a 3* but the staff and Tony (the owner) are 5*. The beach as others have reported is excellent and we spent most of our days just lying around enjoying the peaceful surroundings.

The hotel is a bit out of the way for shops/restaurants and taxi's are expensive, but that did not stop the staff organising a trip for us to the large supermarket to get supplies. To our amazement, Tony, arrived with a great smile and escorted us to his swanky Mercedes. He actually drove us all the way to the supermarket and even walked around with us while we did our shopping! What a great service and a unique experience for us.

It doesn't end there...the staff also organised for us to visit a fantastic little restaurant serving local food with great views over the bay. The night we visited, the restaurant had a local jazz band who were fantastic. Tony again dropped us off at the restaurant and rang a few hours later to see if we were ready to be picked up! We felt truly spoilt.

Tony Johnson is an charming 'young' man, with a very colourful history and a great story teller!

Don't be put off by the 3* rating. The hotel is comfortable and very reasonable considering you have the really expensive 'sprawling' Sandals next door. Could do with having A/c in all the rooms though.

The restaurant next door to the Siboney is expensive and does not provide value for money in our opinion. Try the shacks on the beach for great local food at a reasonable price. Be aware that food in the shacks sells out very quickly, get there before 3pm!

We will definitely visit Siboney Beach again and would not hesitate to recommend this lovely hotel.

Highly recommended. :-)

Room Tip: Choose a room with A/c in all the rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Palip10
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Siboney Beach Club was a lovely choice for our trip to Antigua. Actually, we split our week up between Siboney Beach Club and another spot on Jolly Harbor and we much preferred the location of Dickenson Bay. (Just a couple properties away from the imposing "Sandals")

The staff at Siboney Beach Club were friendly, helpful, prompt, courteous, and made us feel like valued guests. The hotel is independently owned and is very intimate. It is right on a soft sandy beach, surrounded by beautiful foliage and flora, not to mention beautiful birds!

The rooms are an open air concept, meaning you'll always have the oven breeze from your balcony, but your bedroom has a window a/c unit and will have a tight shutting door in case it is hot or muggy. We always had a comfortable sleep, but I must admit that I was often hot in the rest of the unit in the afternoons/evenings if we didn't keep the front door open to get a good cross- breeze going.

My only other con with the unit was that little "no see ums" mosquitoes ate me alive, even with my "Deep Woods Off" and citronella candles burning. My husband never got bit, so you may not be affected. I sure hope not! (I realize little can be done about Mosquitos, unless the whole unit is retro-fitted with a/c which would raise prices and detract from the open-air charm...)

Most importantly, the Siboney Beach Club has a great kitchenette with a big fridge and microwave/stove for fixing meals, if you are I clinked to do so. We did eat at the restaurant once, but really like having simple snacks, so having the fridge was a great, economical way for us to fully enjoy our week. "1st Choice" grocery store is less than a mile away and full of good choices!

Overall, we loved our time in Dickenson Bay at Siboney Beach Club!

Room Tip: Spring for the ocean view... It's only $20 more per night and it's nice to get to see the Ca...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Beth S
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I can only recommend Siboney. Wonderful location, great beach to relax on or take a run early in the morning! We loved the atmosphere of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff! We will be back, thanks so much for making our stay so wonderful!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank TravelWell060
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I read the other reviews and wondered how I would like Siboney Beach Club. We are leaving today and we found this resort to be a great place to stay.

It is closer to Sandals than I would have liked but that was only a problem on Whitsunday, when the drums and music boomed from Sandals until midnight.

The beach is small but lovely, and it wasn't particularly a problem but when the cruise ships are in, the cab drivers have a deal with the restaurant and so they bring them to this beach. Fortunately, we hired a car so when the ships were in, we went to other beaches farther from town. There were cruise ship passengers there too, but fewer. And less vendors hawking their wares as they do over on Dickenson Bay.

The room was small, but the space is laid out smartly. The kitchenette is a galley style and is contained in a long closet in the hall between the sitting area and the bedroom. The sitting space is small, but clean and comfortable. There is a table to eat at. The bedroom was a nice size, and I know some reviews called the furnishings dated but I would say they were simple and classic. And clean.

Some reviewers complained about ants and mosquitos. I have to assume these people haven't travelled much.....hello, you are in the tropics, at 17 degrees latitude. So, yes, there are Mosquitos but not as bad as was suggested. The ants were in the kitchen especially when it rains but they are the very teeny tiny kind and again, this is a tropical climate. So we kept food in the fridge and removed ants before making anything.

The pool area is nice, back in the garden, but they turned off the water circulation every evening and forgot to turn it back on on the Monday holidayn, so the water got cloudy, and I didn't want to get in, we reported it to the office but the person on staff at that point didn't seem to appreciate the implications of a pool without circulation.

Other than that, the staff was wonderful, helpful, and responsive. The cleaning staff were very nice and did a great job. Tony, the owner, is an institution on this island, and it was evident that there is mutual respect between his staff and him. The recommendations they made for places to eat we're spot on and met our expectations. This included the massage therapist they have an arrangement with.....Barbara is truly a gifted healer and the massage was one of the best I have ever had.

I agree with many reviewers.....this is not a mega resort or a place trying to be a five star hotel. But it is an excellent moderately priced establishment that delivers a great experience in a small boutique setting. I liked it very much.

Room Tip: I would avoid Room 1. It is great to be on the ground floor but since it is closest to the office...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Another visit to Siboney proved as wonderful as the first time...but this time the weather was absolutely perfect too, to add to the perfect location. If you've read reviews by folks that weren't so impressed, please note that Siboney is not for everyone...thankfully! It is a very special, chilled out, low key, unpretentious, lovely little paradise, NOT INTENDED FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR BOOMING DISCOS, hundreds of people on the beach, in the bar, in the restaurant and activities going on every minute.....those folks should go straight to Sandals down the beach aways. Siboney is for people who want to escape all that and have a quiet, sweet time with nary a soul in sight.
The staff is exceptional, friendly, laid back and very helpful and accommodating. The rooms are charming, clean and have everything you need. Siboney never disappoints those who like to hide out from all the noise!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank islandgirl j
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Hard to believe we stayed at the same place as the March 2013 review. We found the Sibony Beach Club to be a wonderful place to have stayed during our April of 2013 vacation to Antigua. The owner Tony Johnson was a most interesting and pleasant gentleman to talk to and his staff was very friendly and helpful, guiding us to some wonderful restaurants and setting up excursions! Although we were on the same stretch of beach as the Sandal's Resort we had a little area of beach, kind of its own little cove, that made you feel you were on a small beach of your own. Our room was cheery and clean. It had a small kitchen area with a stove top (no oven) that was great for preparing small meals and snacks. Our room happened to overlook a beautiful garden area with a pool. Would we return to the Sibony Beach Club if in Antigua again? The answer is YES!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Sugar Ridge Resort
Sugar Ridge Resort
#2 of 2 in Jolly Harbour
Starfish Jolly Beach Resort

Been to Siboney Beach Club? Share your experiences!