“Paradise as it should be”
Review of Siboney Beach Club

Siboney Beach Club
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 18 May 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Siboney Beach Club for a week in May 2009. It was our first time in Antigua and the main reason why we loved this trip was the quality of our stay at this gem of a hotel.
The staff is incredibly nice and friendly, always ready to help and make your life easier. They are so helpful and so friendly. The 3 ladies at reception are exceptional, the cleaning ladies are so sweet, even the gardeners are friendly. Mr Johnson is always ready to share his knowledge of the island, to give you tips on where to go, restaurant-wise, excursion-wise.
The beach is also a huge highlight: at the south end of Dickenson bay, it is so quiet and peaceful one easily ignores the hussle and bustle of the rest of the bay (when there is any). So you can enjoy the relaxing beach experience and also have easy access to sailing, jet skis, that Dickenson bays has to offer. Sunrise and sunset can be enjoyed with literally no one around.
The Coconut Grove is also a perfect Caribbean restaurant, on the beach, good food, delicious cocktails and lively bar.
The suites are spacious, the kitchenette is very useful, the hotel is very quiet. If you want to enjoy the garden, it is very lush and peaceful, nicely shaded when it becomes too hot at the beach.
I have nothing but good things to say about Siboney. Do try it, it will make your Antigua experience so much more memorable!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Astrid032

Reviewed 30 April 2009

This small secluded hotel has helpful staff, beautiful lush gardens with a pool, fully equipped kitchens, sitting room with TV and cable and a nice beach for swimming. We had a great time. We can't wait to go again next year.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2009

We were returning from the BVI to Antigua and needed a nice place to stay for a couple of days before catching the flight back to the UK.
We didn't want a large resort hotel but we wanted good service, good food and a nice place and we got it all in Siboney Beach Club.

The hotel is small and friendly with good staff. The gardens deserve a special mention as they are obviously the gardener's pride and joy providing a beautiful setting for the swimming pool and welcome shade from the Caribbean sun.
The beach is everything you would dream of for a Caribbean setting with white sand and shady palm trees and the beach side bar/restaurant, which is actually a seperate business, is first class.
Siboney Beach Club shares this lovely bay with some private accomodation as well as the Sandals resort but the entire beach is open to anyone.
The rooms are in fact small suites consisting of an airconditioned bedroom, bathroom, kitchenette and sitting room. Our room was no 11 on the second floor and the sitting room had shutters which opened out across the full width of the room onto a private balcony overlooking gardens and sea.
It was everything we had hoped for and more.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2009

In Feb. my husband and I went for our annual vacation in Antigua. Staying in the Suite #1 in Siboney Beach Club, As always we felt right at home. We have been staying in the the same suite for the last 25 years! Since 1984 , that is. You would be absolutely right if you drew the conclusion that we love it. Unconditionally! For Feb. 2009, our good friend, Tony Johnson, the owner and his crew, had most tastefully redcorated our suite, completing the finishing touches as we arrived. Tony called us at home on christmas, told us that there had been afire in our suite, assured us that everything would be taken care of before we arrived and asked if we would prefer a pair of recliners or Caribbean style sofas in the front room. We opted for the recliners. When we arrived were met with the usual warim greetings of the staff and the usual impeccable appearance of our suite. There was no way if telling that a fire had occurred just a very few weeks earlier. Our stay followed the usual pattern: toasting in the sun on the beach, siiting in our chairs in the shade of the palms, watching the birds and pelicans and ,of course, other guests passing by and also taking a dip in the Caribbean Sea to cool off. You can cool off by the swimming pool and take in the beautiful gardens and dine at Coconut Grove. We chatted and laughed with the Siboney crew and generally had a ball. We left sadly, making our booking for 2010 as we paid our bill. We certainly will be back - we cannot do without our annual Siboney vacation. It's our home away from home. Hope to see you there.
Bob and Barbara of CT

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CONNECTICUTdOLPHINS
Reviewed 25 March 2009

We have just enjoyed a wonderful two weeks at Siboney Beach Club, a small, exceptionally friendly hotel in a lovely setting on the beach. Our suite was spacious, comfortable and very well and thoughtfully equipped. We loved our balcony in the canopy of the tropical garden and the multiple sea views and waking to the sound of the waves on the shore. Inland from the hotel is a huge salt pond of great interest to bird watchers and a walk along this takes you to Runaway Bay which is a superb, mostly empty beach highly suitable for swimming. We also enjoyed swimming in the hotel pool in the tropical garden and eating at the Coconut Grove restaurant next to the hotel.

Tony Johnson and his staff are genuinely interested in their guests and have created something rather special which is far removed from the big hotel experience where you are just a number. We enjoyed every minute of our stay at the Siboney Beach Club.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MiddleagedScotland
Reviewed 23 March 2009

I have been staying at this hotel for nearly 22 years - and I wouldn't stay anywhere else on the island of Antigua. I love it so much I had to write it down.

I love it for all the usual reasons, location, location, location, the suites, restaurant, garden, etc. Most of all, the owner and his staff have always extended a terrific welcome to Antigua. He is always pleased to see me and the other guests for that matter. He remembers my name, the room I prefer etc., etc. Service like that is difficult to find these days I fear.

I read some of the other reviews with interest - particularly the one criticizing the owner titled "horrible and dangerous". Poppycock. I have got to know the owner very well, he is utterly professional and would have placed the matter in the hands of his insurers for sure.... and, like any businessman, would leave the matter of compensation in the hands of his insurers. That's what they are there for! It seems to me that I know exactly where the review is coming from: the "I want compensation beyond my rights or you will suffer'. There are the correct legal channels one should go through - this customer should learn that.

Anyway I am off to Antigua and Siboney next week again. If anything has really changed I will let everyone know.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 March 2009

The previous review is so far from my experience at Siboney that I just had to post my own from my recent trip. Last November I was originally supposed to stay at Siboney for one night at the end of a Tall Ship cruise.  This cruise was cancelled when the Canadian sailing company I was booked with unexpectedly shortened their season, leaving me in a lurch.  I had a flight to SXM returning from ANU and a vacation that I was determined to still take and enjoy.  Even though I had never been to Antigua before I decided to spend the bulk of my vacation there.  This was mostly due to all the glowing reviews about Siboney.  Siboney is beautiful.  The rooms are very clean and included many amenities (coffee, sugar, big bottles of shampoo and conditioner, bug spray, britta water pitcher, ice trays etc.)  I did not have a problem with mosquitos (but I would not leave the shuttered balcony doors wide open) and the front room stayed cool even without a/c.  Loved my balcony, could wave at all the staff while reading and relaxing with the birds and lizards (they always stayed outside!).  The front desk, Lorraine, Tamu and my nighttime friend Sonyia, always went out of their way to assist - getting taxis, booking tours, and answering all of my (sometimes silly) questions and concerns.  Mr. Johnson was always around, joking with the staff and keeping an eye on things.

The beach is small and quiet.  A perfect place to relax and talk to other guests.  A five minute walk away is the busy part of the beach with all the action.  Staying at Siboney allows you to enjoy the best of both worlds.  The pool is a quiet oasis.  The gardens are stunning.  Ulysses and his staff keep everything lush and beautiful.

The restaurant/bar on site, Coconut Grove, is the perfect place for a meal and definitely for Happy Hour.  It is a friendly mix of locals, expats and tourists.  There is a small grocery store next door at Antigua Village where you can stock up on essentials, and a woman who sells fruit in the parking lot.  Siboney's rooms have a full kitchen so you do not have to eat every meal out.

I was only there for a five days so I only managed to do Miguel's Prickly Pear, Eli's Eco Tour and Nelson's Harbor.  I stuck to Taxi's as driving on the left was a challenge that did not seem very vacation like - especially as a solo traveler.

I didn't see enough of the Island, nor did I get enough beach time so I am forced to go back in April!  Can't wait.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
#1 of 3 in Bolans
Hermitage Bay
Hermitage Bay
#1 of 7 in Saint Mary's

Been to Siboney Beach Club? Share your experiences!