“Excellent stay”

Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
NYC
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Great place, great location - just what we needed off the beaten track for a family with young kids. Nice and quiet, there was nothing that we didn't enjoy. The staff went over and above what we expected in terms of helping us out with things for the room, beach and guidance on local trips for a young family. The beach was secluded and perfect for the kids and the pool and gardens were very tranquil. We loved being able to prepare basic meals for the kids with options to dine out nearby.

Took trips to Nelson's Dockyard and Shirley Hights as well as the Wadadli Cats to Great Bird Island. Otherwise, hung out at the pool and beach as well as taking walks along the rest of Dickenson Bay to check out the scene. Would perhaps recommend renting a car to visit more of the island without depending on taxis.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank rjnjp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We stayed here for a week, and mostly things were good. The furniture and kitchenette were rather old and run-down, but adequate. My biggest problem was a ventilation hole in the bathroom which let mosquitos in all night, and I couldn't go int there after dark without getting bitten, however many times I sprayed the room and myself. The bedroom was very well protected with mozzy screens.
I wouldn't go back there, unless they could promise they had fixed this problem.
Otherwise the staff were very helpful, booking taxis, providing adaptor plugs and all sorts of other things. I particularly appreciated the free wi-fi connection.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I had a short stay (4 night) before meeting friends on another island. I picked the hotel based on its location (close to the airport and a variety of nearby restaurants). It's not an exciting location, but great for a quiet vacation. It was a nice change from chain hotels, lots of character, beautiful gardens, convenient restaurants. There is a small beach at the hotel that is rather crowded, but not even a hundred feet away is a beautiful long stretch of virtually empty beach. The hotel is at the end of the Dickensen Bay strip, and there is a great restaurant not five minutes walk up the beach (can't remember the name, right on the beach, black decor, largely Asian type menu). Wifi was sometimes iffy, but usually better on the outside porch (plus wifi seems ubiquitous at bars, restaurants, etc.). The hotel has a "preferred" taxi driver I used a couple of times that gives great tours. As an aside, highly recommend a day trip to Montserrat, if not overnight.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Greensboro NC
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Just back from staying at Siboney last week. We picked it in large part due to the reviews on here, and they were spot on the money. Not overly fancy, and very little to do at the property other than relax on the beach, read, and swim in the peaceful waters. And that's exactly what we were looking for.

The proximity of Sandals 400 yards away didn't bother us a bit. The guests there stayed there, and we stayed at our end of Dickenson Bay. It was nice seeing the sailboats going out from Sandals as well as occasional jetskis - and surprisingly the jetskis were NOT loud to bother us.

If you want to rent either of ^ those things, there is a vendor located right beside Sandals where you can do them. (We didn't).

Siboney is a bit older and it shows - the rooms are dated and are pretty basic. The staff was terrific and very friendly. We had booked the lower priced Treetops room but were upgraded to a standard suite when we arrived midweek, under the condition that we would have to move to our Treetops room for our final night, due to the suites being totally full (there are only 12 of them, plus one TreeTops room). No problem. The suites have a bedroom in the back, a nice bath (ours had shower, no tub. No sure if all are this way. Probably so to conserve water), and a sitting room that had a balcony to it and overlooked the gardens. There is a kitchenette in the hallway across from the bathroom - more than adequate and it was nice having a refrigerator (which was new and very clean). There was A/C in the bedroom, which we ran each night. We never noticed a bug problem during our stay. The mattress sat on top of the support base without box springs. I liked the firmness; my wife wished it had been a bit softer. But this was just for our suite (#7), because the same bed style was in the treetops but it was a softer mattress. I slept great on both.

we only rented a car one day, getting the front desk to arrange to have Avis bring us a car and then come back and pick it up the next morning. $55 for a Grand Venturi (or something like that - basically a 4WD Jeep clone). It was fine for two of us. We drove all around the island one day and were happiest when we pulled back into Siboney to enjoy a relaxing afternoon. When we go back, we won't venture away except to maybe go into St John's for dinner, for variety (and Siboney, unlike resorts on other coasts of the island, is relatively close to town). You have to buy a local license for a one-time fee of $20, and car insurance is $15-20. (Avis let me decline it, though, which i did since it still had a $2,000 deductible even if you got the insurance). It was great having Avis bring the car and then come back and pick it up the next day. Very convenient.

There is a GREAT supermarket only about 1.5 miles from Siboney that has prices not much more than what you'd pay in the States. The day we had our car, we loaded up on snacks, some beer, and soft drinks, as well as some pastries and OJ for breakfast. We had a fantastic breakfast the first day at Coconut Grove (about $30 US total for two people for a full breakfast) but we decided we didn't need that big of a breakfast each day.

We really liked the food at both Coconut Grove restaurant as well as The Beach restaurant, also on the water, about 100 yards away (if even that far). Beach restaurant was a slight bit less expensive and a broader menu. Sandwiches there for lunch were generally $14-20 US and entrees at both places were around $28-40 US. All of our meals were really good.

We also ate lunch one day at Tony's, a very casual beach counter closer to Sandals. It was cheaper ($8 US for a cheeseburger) but nothing special. We only ate there once - it was worth more $$ for better food at one of the other two places. (I've clicked that Siboney has a restaurant, because the Coconut Grove is attached and it's open for all meals, right on the beach, but technically it is separate from Siboney. It has been written up as one of the best restaurants on the island)

The night we had our car we went into town and ate at papa zook's, highly recommended by the Siboney front office. And it was exactly as advertised. A good local spot run by a family with great seafood specialties and rum drinks. Our total bill there came to around $65 US and I had the lobster (and my wife a snapper, which was great). Highly recommended.

If you venture out from Siboney without a car, a taxi will cost you about $10 each way into town or more if you're going somewhere further ($16 to aiport). Other guests seemed to venture out daily - we preferred doing NOTHING but relaxing on the beach.

If you're looking for a place to just relax and soak in the sun and peaceful beach, this is highly recommended. If you want more activities, a nightspot (lively bar) onsite, or fancy plush rooms, you might look elsewhere.

We will go back to Siboney when we want some pure "unwind" time in the Caribbean.

Oh, and while the Treetops room they moved us to was fine (one large bedroom, a much smaller kitchenette squeezed into a small closet, and a smaller bathroom) was fine, I'd recommend paying the extra $40 or so for at least a standard suite. Although you may not be in the room much, it was definitely nice having the larger space, particularly if you/spouse don't go to bed or wake up at the same time each day. If the treetops room is all they had available, I'd certainly stay there again, but if one of the nicer rooms was available, I'd take it first.

Also, each room does have a safe deposit box, and wireless internet is available. If you don't take your own computer (I didn't), the office has a laptop they let you use for free, taking it to your room if you want. They are very laid back.

And our weather was PERFECT.

US money is accepted everywhere. Local prices are quoted in EC, but the receipts include the price in US and several other currencies too. The standard exchange rate is around $1 = $2.60 EC, or for easy math, I just took the EC price and multiplied by .4

Final note: Siboney is located on the west side of the island, so we had BEAUTIFUL sunsets each night. And our beach area seemed calmer than what we observed on the other side of the island on the day we drove around (and drive on the LEFT).

1 Thank hrh13
new york
Reviewed 27 March 2010

We got back from Siboney about a week or so ago and we still miss it. On Dickenson Bay, you have your pick of an array of hotels -- the big party atmosphere at Sandals, just a notch below that at Rex Resorts, the snowbirds next door at Antigua Village, and travelers looking for a spit of beach at the Buccaneer. The Siboney has it all - a fantastic restaurant, a beautiful beach, a wonderful fresh-water pool surrounded by palm trees, hummingbirds and bougainvillea, an outdoor shower, just 12 all-suite rooms with kitchenettes, friendly staff - and did I mention the most gorgeous water?

This is the place to come and detach completely from the work world. Very, very low-key. Couples and small families spend the day on the beach. Thank god there is no thumping music all day long and a thousand rooms, elevators and crowds lined up for dinner -- exactly the type of atmosphere we have every day and want to avoid on a vacation. The nights were quiet, tree frogs and books. Although the Coconut Grove Restaurant on site had a few nights of serious partying, you can't hear a thing from the rooms, which is a plus.

When you check in, they give you coupons for a free drink at the Grove, so our second hour upon arrival we watched the sun set with a rum punch in hand -- breathtaking and a nice touch. We walked over to the Antigua Village grocery to stock up on Wadadli beers, Ting, yogurt, and breakfast stuff. There's a wonderful lady who sells fruit out of her car in the lot so we had fresh bananas, papaya and oranges. Fresh flowers in the rooms, shampoo, conditioner, and soups, plus coffee and a coffee maker. (And the staff washes all your dirty dishes -- you're on vacation, after all!)

The other good thing about this location is that there are several dining options within walking distance, so you don't have to cab it out every night. We went to dinner barefoot at The Beach Restaurant, literally a three-minute sandy walk down the shore.

Some recommendations: The rooms definitely need citronella candles. I don't know why the mossies are bad or how they get into the rooms but they did and that needs to be addressed. Also it would have been nice to have screens on the doors rather than a sliding glass pane.

Other than the mosquitos (which is why I removed one star and can honestly say this is not the fault of the hotel), I highly recommend Siboney Beach Club. Tony was absolutely lovely as were the staff, who were helpful in booking us a cab for the half day and back to the airport. We met many repeat visitors and loved the island and Dickenson Bay. Get yourself a room and go!

Hewlett, New York
Reviewed 23 March 2010

We stayed in Siboney Beach the second week of March. Kahori and the whole crew were very very friendly and helpful. The grounds are very well maintained and the Garden kept by Mr Johnson is gorgeous.

The rooms are slightly on the older side and could use a little bit of a renovation but at the end of the day how much time do you really spend in the room? You are in paradise.

The hotel is on Dickinson Beach and is approx 3-4 minute walk down to Sandals if you feel the need for people and action. We stayed in room 5 and would highly recommend.

Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 22 March 2010

If it weren't for the fun maids and a few of the guests we met while at Siboney it would have seemed more like being in a sanitarium. Scrabble, reading and napping seemed to be highest on the agenda of activities. Not that there is anything wrong with any of that but, a 'party' mood (or happiness?) almost seemed as though it was frowned upon at Siboney.

There was no audible music being played anywhere, which I found to be incredulous. One evening, taking it upon myself to entertain with my one morocca, I was brought a transistor radio. I am no party animal but, I think it is quite normal to expect to hear music when vacationing anywhere, especially in the Caribbean. I had to ask one of our taxi drivers to turn the radio ON and then had to ask him to turn it up.

Speaking of taxi drivers. For the handsome price they are paid it would have been nice to have had them be #1 HELPFUL, #2 FRIENDLY #3 GOOD DRIVERS, #4 DID I MENTION FRIENDLY? Not just the taxi drivers but, the proprietors in general in Antigua seemed very bored and annoyed with tourists. If you just aren't a 'people person' maybe you shouldn't work in customer service..??! It's not like we were asking anyone to help us out for free... Good grief.

The grounds at Siboney were absolutely lovely. As a master gardener I appreciated the upkeep and the cleanliness of the grounds as a whole. Stunning. Serene. Santiarium-like.

I found our room to be way over-priced. Yes, the view is stunning but the room is shabby at best. We stayed in the deluxe ocean view (actually, none of the rooms face the ocean at Siboney although you can seee the ocean from most rooms) on the top floor. The porch was small and the furniture on the porch was large. There was little privacy. The kitchenette had a sink, small range, refrigerator, all old & shabby and in a closeted enclosement which was just about absurd in it's location of the hallway. The bathroom was newly redone and was very nice. The bedroom was spacious and had the only air conditioning in the apartment. The door to the bedroom had to remain closed all of the time to keep the bedroom cool and to keep one room bug free. The lowest setting on our a/c was 60 and we were still far too warm to sleep comfortably.

I was warned of bugs and came armed with DEET from home although it did nothing to deter whatever it was that was doing the biting. Keeping the mosquitoes out was impossible, even with the little bug zappers provided by Siboney on ALL day and ALL night. I found one flea on me one day inside the room, who knows how many there actually were. I noticed that most of the guests were bitten badly as well.

The food at Coconut Grove was barely edible. Quaint yes, lovely view, yes, terrible food served by nearly surly waitresses. Again, we were paying for our services, not asking for it for free... We very much felt as though we were either dollar bills and/or annoyances.

The final night of our stay at Siboney I decided to go for a swim in the lovely little lagoon. In about 5 feet of water I all of a sudden felt stinging on my fingers and then realized my hands were wrapped in what felt similar to hair then, I felt my whole body being wrapped up in what felt to be a massive amount of hair. It was extremely frightening. Then the stinging began. I am 5'6" and most of my body was being stung by this massive amount of hair... It was excruciating pain and I was very panicked and trying to get out of the water as quickly as I could. I was able to warn my husband to NOT come into the water and I was trying to tell him what was happening to me. He got me out of the water and onto a lounge... the pain increased to a degree I have never felt in my life, it was so awful I was dry heaving. My husband ran to the main office where he interrrupted (and apparently annoyed) Tony, the owner, to tell him what had happened, what should we do, explaining that I was in excruciating pain, etc. Tony's response, if you call it one, was simply, "Pour rum on it" and he went back to his conversation. My husband immediately ran to the bar where they gave him a cup of rum to pour over me, which did no good at all. To condense the story... Tony never once came to see if I was alright nor did he ask about me. No one from Sibponey did. We left the following day, me covered with welts the size of ropes from my neck to my calves. I looked as though I'd been whipped. I had been stung by a man o' war, not a jelly fish. I was actually ill from this for several days afterward.

I read a great deal about Tony and about Siboney on TripAdvisor prior to our trip to Antigua and Siboney is why we chose Antigua, not the other way around. All in all, I would suggest going to another island altogether and only staying at Siboney if you must. I read on TripAdvisor that Tony was charming and accomodating. I found neither of these descriptions to be true. Besides the terrrible stinging I endured I found Tony to be quite full of himself with large dollar bill signs beaming brightly in his eyes when he could muster a smile in our direction.

2 Thank whymilikethis
Jolly Beach Resort & Spa
Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort
Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort
#1 of 15 in St. John's

Been to Siboney Beach Club? Share your experiences!