“relaxing hideaway”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“relaxing hideaway”
Reviewed 8 February 2011

From the moment we arrived we received a personal welcome from the hotel staff who are all friendly and welcoming, helpful. Our superior suite is perfect with balcony overlooking beautiful garden. This is just the kind of smaller hotel with friendly atmosphere and high standard accommodation we wanted - it is right on the beach and the only down side is a lack of nearby restaurants within walking distance. Papa Zouks by taxi was well worth the ride and just fantastic fish and T punch rum! It has been fun to be able to do some self catering too (having a small kitchenette) and the small shop nearby (in Anitgua Village) is a bit limiting so taxi to First Choice supermarket ($8 each way) was worth doing to stock up. Recommend the Adventure antigua eco tour trip for a day out which will be excellent - they pick up and drop off from infront of Sandals (just a long the beach!) Tony and the staff at Siboney are the perfect hosts!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jorobtennis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Plymouth, Montserrat
Reviewed 3 February 2011

We have stayed at Siboney a number of times over the last 3 years and it has everything you would wish for, for the quiet getaway, a beautiful beach, and restaurants
nearby. There is also a small shop about 2 minute walk away for your basic supplies.

Would highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank honey2222
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 January 2011

We've stayed at and immensely enjoyed many B&Bs, Inns and "interesting " guesthouses over the years both in the US and Europe. This place had none of the charm and all of the drawbacks. Yes, the people were nice; the place was clean. But it is fairly shabby, as other reviewers have noted. Not updated since maybe 1973... even the bedspreads. The toilet is stained and damaged on the base. Perhaps the owner doesnt have the capital to invest in fix-up, but paint is cheap. The mosquitos are horrible because most of the living rooms are literally open to the garden-- no screens. While this is a charming touch, it certainly wears! The bed was real comfy, the sheets were lovely. The lights in the living room are too dark to read by. The bed does not have a headboard so it is hard to read there.
Im a fan of the little studio kitchen while on vacation, but maybe not so much when the faucet keeps coming off in ones hand. The staff meant well, but I had to ask 3 times for extra hangers for the closet (there were THREE when I arrived) and never got them. Other requests for reccomendations were met with pretty vague input. I missed the customer service that a concierge staff would have given. The Coconut Grove Restaurant and Bar were fun and the food great; Id make it a stop on any week in Antigua. The "beachfront" in posts below has been highly vaunted. (All I can say is: are these people crazy? I had better beaches in New Jersey!) It is literally the width of the restaurant front- maybe 50 feet across and 30 feet to the waters edge. The continuation beach next door has garbage and old tires strewn around the salt marsh area. The hotel does not have a lot of beach lounges. It seemed several of these are taken up by non hotel guests.. I know because a couple asked me where they could rent one of the beach chairs we were in. I said they were from the hotel we were guests of. Then I saw them approach the caretaker and lo- they spent the day on the beach in 2 lounge chairs. There was a threesome in a lounge chair in front of me most of the day who I saw walk on from the nearby parking lot (where the fruit lady sits). There was a really big Mexican family- grannies, and babies included who spent the afternoon. I saw that other guests of the hotel had to drag the metal lounges out from back by the pool. Siboney seems to have a rep for being a free crash-site for beachgoers from other locales. The bartender at Millers By the Sea told me the taxi guys at St Johns Pier will take cruise ship folks who want to spend the day on the beach. Siboney might be delightful for certain folks, but for us it was decidedly lower end in both comfort and service.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank patt8011
New York
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Many thanks to all the staff members of the Siboney. All of them are lovely and helpful. Wonderful clean and confortable small hotel, ditectly on a small but clean and easy beach. Don't expect a real sea view room (except the 9 / 5 / 1) but the garden also is attractive.

Only regret , the restaurant is not under the same amanagement, does not accept AMEX.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2010

We had a great week in Antigua, and Siboney was a big part of that.

Really nice to stay in an intimate hotel compared to all the huge reirts nearby. And I think it has the nicest stretch of beach too

Staff very friendly and helpful, room/apartment spacious. It could do with som smartening up, but that didn't bother us.

Overall we loved it and would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed December 2010
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 10 December 2010

It is an excellent guest house; might be suitable for a family visit or a romantic trip! I have never seen such a beautiful and picturesque beach!

The personnel is very helpful and nice, and, besides, the girls at the reception are cute. The airport and St John's are within a close distance (may be a 10-15 minutes drive). There is wireless in the house and a nice cafe on the beach. I really recommend to try Antiguan rum, which to me is the best in the Caribbean (I tried that in 6 different countries in the region).

When my taxi driver did not show up to bring me to the airport, the owner of the house helped me get there, despite it was just 4 am!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2010

The perfect location! It’s a short drive from the airport and has a stunning beach which is fairly quiet at the Siboney Beach end and going west. The east side has a much narrower beach which houses Sandals and Rex resorts, we only ventured up that end once as we’re not a fan of big resort hotels and definitely not a fan of Sandals (see further down for more on that!).

You are greeted with stunning view when the taxi drops you off at the top of the path. All the staff are extremely welcoming and helpful. Tony is one of those guys you’d have on your ‘people I’d want at a dinner party’ list – full of interesting stories. He’s in his eighties but looks 20 years younger!

The pool and grounds are stunning – wonderful plants, flowers and wildlife. Be sure to venture to the back of the garden to see the Bananaquits feeding from the bird table. Lots of birds and little lizards came to visit us on our balcony at breakfast time too.

Our room (deluxe Beach view) was perfect. A balcony from which you could see the gardens and the beach. The kitchen has sufficient items to prepare breakfast and lunch if you want to keep the restaurant bills a bit lower (fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee maker). We loved our bedroom! To start with the bed is extremely comfortable and huge (and it’s not two singles pushed together). There’s a window the foot of the bed looking over the beach – needless to say we never drew the curtains at night. There is AC in the bedroom and wide opening doors and fans in the living area – we found this to be more than adequate even in the 90 degree heat.

We had planned to hire a car and see a lot of the island, but we loved our beach so much we only ventured out a few times. The sea is bright turquoise and had powdery white sand. We found ourselves spending hours on this beach admiring the view and watching the pelicans. The sunsets are stunning and every night is different. If we were out and about we made an effort to get back in time for these!

It’s worth the 15min walk down the road to Runaway Beach (turn right out of Siboney) – we walked the entire length and only saw one person. The east end of this beach is eroded but the west end is stunning.

You must visit the lady who has a fruit stall in the Antigua Village carpark (2 min walk down the beach). We had fresh melon, nectarines and pineapple every day for breakfast – the Antiguan Black Pineapple is the best I have ever tasted. She's been running her stall for 28 years now!

Coconut Beach restaurant is lovely. I had Lobster there on my birthday and it was delicious. We also went to The Beach (5 mins walk) which was good too. We tried to visit the restaurant on the pier at the Rex resort but Sandals put a stop to that – there’s some beach erosion at that end of the beach (far enough from Siboney not to worry about) so we had to cut through Sandals for a few metres to avoid wading through the sea in our clothes, we had 3 security guards on us in seconds asking us to leave. Why do people pay so much money to stay at this awful pompous place?

If you can drag yourself away, here are a few recommendations outside Siboney:
Papa Zouk for dinner if you like fish and a proper rum punch – great atmosphere and fanstastic food. They do a garlic dip that was to die for – unfortunately they would not part with the recipe!
Creole Cruises for speedboat trip to Bird Island, snorkelling and BBQ lobster – see separate review.
Shirley Heights on Sunday night for great sunset, steel band, reggae and a pretty good jerk chicken, very touristy but good all the same.
Long Bay for snorkelling right off the shore – shallow water and dozens of different type of fish.
Sylvester Scotland [--] for a sightseeing tour of the island. We didn’t actually do a tour with him, but used his taxi services several times. He also recommended Long Bay and Papa Zouk which were both great. We found some of the taxi drivers a little difficult to understand due to their strong island accent but Sylvester was easy to understand. Nice comfy air conditioner people carrier too!

If you want somewhere small and friendly in a stunning location and several restaurants in walking distance then this is the one. Why anyone would choose a huge all-inclusive resort over somewhere like this is beyond me.

I have been using Trip Advisor for years to research my holidays but never written a review (which I’m a little ashamed of), but this one made me finally put the effort in to let everyone else know how great this place is.

Anyway, you can tell for yourself – there is only one bad review in 2010 and I’m guessing 'whymilikethis' is just one of lifes moaners, everything they’ve complained about is completely untrue in our experience

Oh, final tip – take good insect repellent and wear all the time. I mistakenly thought I’d only need it at night and got eaten alive on my first day. Siboney provide plenty of spray and plug ins to keep the apartment mossie free.

Enjoy!

4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,260 reviews
Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort
Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort
#1 of 15 in St. John's

Been to Siboney Beach Club? Share your experiences!