“Went with an open mind and was disappointed.”

Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
London, United Kingdom
“Went with an open mind and was disappointed.”
Reviewed 2 June 2003

I had read a number of reviews both positive and negative about this hotel - however I had decided to keep an open mind and base my review on my own experiences. This hotel is possibly the worst place I have ever stayed in. Although the hotel was only built in 1988 it is terribly dated, and the facilities are basic at best. Staff: On the whole I found them incredibly surly and extremely rude at times. Out of the 40 or 50 staff that worked there I only found 3 who were genuinely professional. Furthermore, as a black resident I was made to feel completely invisible, I was frequently ignored or given a cool / hostile reception by the staff. However this was not the case with white residents, the staff were courteous to the point of being painfully ingratiating. I also found that some male members of staff would actively leer at myself or other female guests and did on occasion ask my sister and myself impertinent and extremely personal questions. Also be very careful when paying by credit card. I was charged over £200 twice for my half of my hotel bill, very incompetent reception staff. Rooms: My room was very dated and in need of a facelift but generally clean. Yet, the pre-booked complementary room offered on our exit was dirty. When I complained about this, no apology was offered but they did provide me with an alternative room. Food: Pretty standard. Would not recommend room service. Horrible. Beach: from the moment anyone sets foot on the beach, hawkers and local Romeos harass you. You do not get a moments peace to yourself to just enjoy the beach but they do leave you alone after awhile. However I picked up a stone I found on the beach - I was told to put it down unless I wanted to pay for it. Facilities: basic. I wouldn't recommend using the swimming pool.Tours: Be very careful. Hawkers will try to sell you their tours. They are not insured and there a no guarantees for your safety. I recommend taking the scheduled tour given by a company via the hotel. This company will also offer a sunset tour (wg amount for the scheduled tour is requested. Be careful individuals working for this company will try to charge an extra 5% service charge. DO NOT PAY THIS!! My sister questioned this, as it was not mentioned previously. This individual backed down and the 5% charge was not made but I know people who did make this unnecessary payment. So you have been warned.

7 Thank strawberrysmoothie71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. John's
Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village

Been to Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort

Property: Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort
Address: Five Islands, Deep Bay, St. John's, St. John's, Antigua
Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): ££££
Hotel Class:3 star — Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Agoda so you can book your Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Hotel St. John`s