“Awesome holiday”

Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Just returned from and amazing week at this hotel.
Extremely quiet, but a great get away from everything.
For some reason hardly anybody staying in the hotel.
The staff were friendly and welcoming.
The food was limited but something for everyone.
The French Toast at breakfast was to die for.
The place is well maintained, pool is lovely and the beach and water couldn't be any better.
While there were few people they did provide some evening entertainment during some dinners.
Would love to go back next year.

Room Tip: Ask for a lagoon/ocean view room on the 7th or 8th floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mpsmith48

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Okay...don't want to sound bad but there isn't much to say about this resort other than the beach is excellent,the staff are incredible and the food is good but the property is in dire need of repair.
The web makes it sound like a dream with all the amenities, reality is that if you want a resort with no people, absolutely quiet, run down but the rooms are passable (room 803) and you are only going to tour, sleep, read and lay on the beach wanting to do nothing else then okay but you will still over pay for it. There are two resturants, the Andes Waterfront, evening bbq's and lunch. The same menu every day. The breakfast resturant (by hotel lobby) unless there are more people you will order off the menu, same one every day....no buffet. We only had it twice. Total occupancy week of March 10th- 25!! Went down to 12 by mid week. They say they have a fine dining resturant "the Barrington" which is just a conference room on the second floor with no decor to speak. The food is good, the desserts so so! The variety doesn't change much. There is NO ENTERTAINMENT.....NO USEABLE TENNIS COURT, NOT MUCH IN WATERSPORTS (two sea kayaks, bad life jackets), NO CHILDREN ACTIVITIES, NO CHILDREN PLAYGROUND without goats! It's pretty much in ruin. Its like staying in a ghost town. Free Wifi, works great in the lobby, limited in the rooms and not at all on the beach. The pool is clean and nice the umbrellas are mostly broken. There are no shops at all! There is a wieght center, never used it so I'm not sure the equipment works. No electronic casino. No shops at all. No snacks available during the day but if you ask for something they will get you something. There are beach vendors who are very nice and they don't bother you if you tell them "thank you -no". It is very over priced for what you will get. The TV reception is good, safe in the room, refridgerator if you ask for one. Iron and ironing board. It's dying a slow death and is a pitty because it could be a great resort.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank busdrvr
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Don't let all the bad reviewed scare you away. We spent 2 weeks there and had the most relaxing vacation we have ever had. We never had to wait in line for food or drinks, never had to get up early to get a chair by the pool or on the beach. The food was very good, limited in variety but very tasty, in 2 weeks we never ate off the resort, unfortunatly there was no snack bar as advertised. The beach is amazng, beautiful white sand and the caribbean sea is very calm and clear in deep bay. The pool is deeper than at most other resorts, but was very well maintained. The staff is unbelievable, so very friendly and always willing to help. It is a resort that for some unapparent reason is not being booked to capacity, and because of that the shops have closed, and some areas on the resort have become neglected, such a pity because I think at one time it truly was the Grand Royal. We really enjoyed ourselves at this resort. My pet peeve is with Westjet. I contacted them after reading some of the reviews that were a little scary to say the least. They assured me that there was a snack bar, and that there would be at least 2 restaurants open per meal, the bars would always be open, and there would be evening entertainment, this was all hogwash. There was no snack bar, usually only 1 bar open at a time , and only 1 restaurant open per meal. We were pretty disappointed with Westjet and their lies.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank paradiseseekers2
Reviewed 26 February 2013

This hotel has an incredibly misleading name. There is absolutely nothing "grand" or "royal" about this disgrace of a hotel. The first day I was there, the hotel was out of power for two hours, and the staff did not even have the decency to give an explanation. Later that day, I found myself locked out of my bedroom as the key card did not work, so I had to go to the front desk to re-activate my key card, but it did not end there... I encountered this problem at least 6 more times during my stay, and I was only there from Feb 20 - Feb 25. Not only was it annoying to have to go to the front desk so often, but the staff had the audacity to give me bad looks when I did, as if it was my fault their key card system was crappy. While on the topic of rude staff, I, as well as others, was blatantly disrespect by a bartender in the lobby bar. She paid no attention to us while we were at the bar, ignored our orders, and when she did acknowledge us, she was not pleasant whatsoever! Moving on the Lagoon Cafe, let me just say that the staff's attitudes and the food share one quality; they are both crappy! One day I ordered a burger at the restaurant, and after a half hour of waiting, I was told that there were no more burgers left, and the woman rolled her eyes at me, and grumbled something, as if to suggest I was wasting her time. I had to settle for chicken and fries, which was definitely not worth the wait because it was not very satisfying, and it upset my stomach. Then I heard another guest say that their burger patty was not properly cooked, maybe I was better off without the burger after all. Did I mention that the restaurant workers walked around without even trying to disguise their displeasure, and made profane comments about coworkers and well as their superiors in front of guests? It was a terrible experience! And I would not recommend any stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank Alkin H
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Four of us (2 middle-aged couples) visited this resort from January 30 to February 13, 2013. We had a very relaxing vacation in which our room (8th floor, lagoon view) was great, linen and towels were changed daily, no musty smelling room, working air conditioning. The beach was fantastic and the food, while a bit repetitive, was very good and nicely prepared. For example: in two weeks, we had steak that you could cut with a table knife on 5 occasions, barbecue on 4 occasions, etc. The staff was absolutely fantastic. By the time we left, we knew most of them by name and we felt like family. Everyone ( manager, night manager, bar tenders, waiters, waitresses, chefs, maintenance and cleaning staff) was friendly and bent over backwards to make our stay enjoyable. The pool, while hardly used, was always clean.
Yes, there are few people staying at this resort. In the two weeks we were there, the total number of 'guests' ranged from 20 to 40. This made for the awesome feeling of family but it did have its ramifications. Food selection, as mentioned, was a bit limited and a bit repetitive, and was available only during the stated meal times - i.e.: no snack bar, only one restaurant open at a time, fresh fruit only available at breakfast times, etc. There was no scheduled sports activity or evening shows, although 'Papa Les' did have snorkel and non-motorized water equipment available. We did have professional musicians at supper on several occasions. Depending on who you are, you would either love this place (example: two couples with 5 boys aged 1-6 who could play on the beach, build sand castles, run to their heart's content, etc) or hate it (family with two teen-aged girls with nobody else their age to associate with). The resort itself is generally in dire need of repairs. The rooms on the bottom floors are still being renovated. A number of 'villas' need to be demolished. Tennis courts, while there are lots of them, are not in good shape and the only thing we saw using them were some goats. Overall, we LOVED our vacation because we enjoyed the location, the uncrowded atmosphere where you never had to wait in line for anything or fight to get prime location loungers by the pool or beach, and above all, the staff. If you want a relaxing vacation, and you want an uncrowded atmosphere, albeit with limited choices, I highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Book a mountain view (cheapest) because they will likely upgrade you to a lagoon view anyway since t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank richard_janet
Reviewed 18 February 2013

As airline crew I've stayed at hundreds of hotels around the world, but never seen such a hotel in such a bad state like this one. The bath /shower is from the 50s and in depeserate need of renovation, the bathroom on whole. The lobby, restaurants and public areas are uninviting. It looks like a ghost town, there're about 7 guests here and they look very unhappy here. One woman arrived and 30 mins later checked out again. We're leaving after 1 night, THANKGOD.

Room Tip: other hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank lillyattwood
Reviewed 14 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 7 days, Yes the hotel is dated but it was clean and comfortable. It was a little strange as there were very few people staying there. The staff couldn't do enough for you with big pleasant smiles. The pool was absolutely gorgeous and just the right temperature. I described the beach as Heaven on Earth. I have never seen anything more spectacular. The beach was super clean and I swam in the warm ocean each and everyday. Lunch was always offered at the beach restaurant overhanging the beach with beautiful views. The lobby and bar were very nice but being upgraded. There was no entertainment offered but a truly relaxing hotel. I would go there again for some down time.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Antigua Yacht Club Marina Resort
Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts
Starfish Jolly Beach Resort
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua

Been to Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!