“Amazing”

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
New York City, New York
“Amazing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

I usually don't write reviews, but the Grand Royal Antiguan deserves my comments. This hotel is a hidden gem. My last minute one week vacation plans during peak season left my wife and I with few affordable, non 'all inclusive' choices. After booking, I noticed many terrible reviews but was willing to give it a shot. Yes, the hotel has seen better, more grandiose days. But the grounds are well maintained, pools are spotless, and the lobby offers waterfalls, palm trees growing in the open atrium and furnishings giving you a true island feel. Our room, on the seventh floor, was 4 star with 10 star views from our balcony facing the lagoon connecting to one of the most amazing coves on the island. (This is one of the beaches on the catamaran tours that is briefly visited for its beauty). The sand is powder clean, and for now, very private. The drinks at the beach bar pack a punch and you can rent a kayak or just lounge and snorkel around the pristine bay. The amenities such as beer pong, pool volleyball and the constant drone of party music do not exist there.. thankfully. What does exist is a giant hotel property with a bed and breakfast feel. The super friendly staff... at all levels, are so accommodating.
The place is ideal for couples that want some privacy, and families with 'young' kids would find it perfect and safe (tweens, teens and singles would go crazy looking for activities or hook-ups).
The hotel IS off the beaten track and we rented a car to experience the entire island.. hiking, diving, restaurants (we can never eat in just one place). But taxis were always coming and going. This was a great vacation and much of it was because of our location. Thanks Grand Royal Antiguan.
Note: For those resort snobs that are dissing this hotel because it is sooo quite or for the pissed off airline passengers that were dropped there when their flights were cancelled...WHY PUT THIS HOTEL DOWN? You truly don't know the place or were just unlucky with your room!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the lagoon or beach/ocean are both great. I will download photos once they are rea...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Joel R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Mass
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

As many of the other reviewers pointed out this is where stranded air travelers are sent when their flights are canceled. The reason they are sent here is it is EMPTY as it is very run down and no one would stay here regularly. Well, there were maybe 5 guests there. Even if it were nice who wants to stay in a resort full of angry travellers? The food here was the worst I have ever had in the carribean. The hotel is totally understaffed. They ran out of soda.

Having said all this if you are the proud owner of a time machine this place was probably wonderful 30 years ago. It is on an amazing beach and is a huge property. The pool was probably top of the line back in the day. If you don't own a time machine don't bother as most of the elevators don't even work at this point and everything is run down. It needs to be imploded and rebuilt and could easily be a first class hotel on that land.

We did talk to a Candian couple who stayed there for 12 days and booked it based on its rock bottom price. They claimed to never eat there and were always driving around the island. If that is you maybe this dump would work. There are no restaraunts within walking distance so you would need a car to "not eat there".

Room Tip: The best room would be in a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank GeoffM24

Travellers are raving about these St. John's hotels

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I really enjoyed my stay in the Grand Royal. The hotel itself is not so busy and needs some rejuvenation, however, the hotel still has potential and the staff were some of the most hospitable I have ever met. They know how to make you feel at home in a genuinely friendly and caring way. You are treated like family and anything you need will be sorted. I was fortunate enough to get to know some of them while I was there (Ms. Antonio and Judie, to name a few), the ladies working in the restaurant were always so pleasant, and Lesroy down at the gorgeous beach, a man of wisdom, makes sure you're looked after. The bedroom and bathroom were very spacey, comfortable and cleaned everyday. The negative reviews of this hotel seem to have mostly been written by people whose flights were delayed or cancelled, perhaps a little unfairly in frustration!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Laura M
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

What an absolute dump this hotel was.

We were placed here for one night after Air Canada left us on the tarmac for 3 hours before finally cancelling our flight.

When we arrived at the hotel, all 170 of us, there was 1 person at the front desk. She did an amazing job on our own serving half of the line, before the manager and another staff member finally came to assist her.

There was only one elevator in service forcing many of us to lug our luggage up the stairs.

The food was terrible; it was cold despite being in chafing dishes to be kept somewhat warm. The serving staff was terrible. You would ask them for a drink, and they would vanish for 20 minutes and would have to ask them again. No one came to clear plates and the tables were not reset forcing many of us to go and sit at dirty tables and steal cutlery from other tables.

The rooms were hot and stuffy and it took a while for the air conditioning to finally work. They water leaked, there was hard water and mildew on the faucets as well as “pre-stained” towels.

Yes, Air Canada paid for the room, but the reality is I expected a lot better. No, I was not expecting resort quality, but I was expecting something adequate. This was by far a dump.

The Grand Royal Antiguan Hotel – Don’t let the name fool you.

Room Tip: Simple, don't choose one here!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank BradF98
Quesnel, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

What a dump place. We were dump there by West Jet vacation as our Flight was cancelled. First full flight was put there and one person to check all of them in. Only one Elevator was working and will take hardly five-person .If you have luggage then two.
Food was like eating out of dump. Room was nice but water leaked on floor as soon as flush was used. Next morning the breakfast was terrible and so was service. Went for a walk to the beach looks like no one ever cleans the beach. I think it’s a dump place for Airlines when you miss your flight. Whole place looks like its time has run out.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank canadian992
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

What rubbish this place is. I was dumped there by LIAT when my flight from St Lucia to Tortola broke down in Antigua. After sitting at the airport for 3 hours we were taken by taxi to the hotel.
The place was deserted except for a few other LIAT passengers also stranded there. We were give keys to our room and told that we would be contacted later by the LIAT rep when our flight would be leaving. Three days later we finally left. Every morning and afternoon we asked at reception if there was any news to be told its not there problem and we must wait for LIAT to contact us.
The hotel had no entertainment, we were not allowed off the site and when we went to the beach area all the beach chairs were locked up and there was no one t unlock them.
After two days we were phoned in our room to say that we must pack as the Taxi was coming to collect us at 5pm. We packed and went to reception waiting for the taxi. When the taxi arrived they called out the names of the passengers and ours was not among them. I queried this with reception and was again told its not there problem LIAT decide who goes not them. I asked why they called us and was told they just call all the passengers and we must just wait. The guy at reception had a really bad attitude and we got into quite an argument about the whole situation.
Once the Taxi left apart from a Lady and her daughter we were the only people in the whole hotel. I travel the world as part of my job and this is the worst experience i have ever had at any hotel.Take this as a good advice NEVER stay at this place if you can help it.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Get a room somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank Rob-Bren
Jackson, Mississippi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

I was laid over by LIAT trying to meet my family in Dominica. I was stuck in Antigua for the night. The LIAT representative announced that they were putting us up at the Royal Antiguan at their expense. I was expecting a nice experience. Instead, we arrived and were the only people there for a "resort." It must be a place that has now been relegated to only the airlines use for stranded passengers. I have to admit that the food they served was not all that bad. It was just deserted and the bar closed right after we arrived. I did receive a wake up call at 4:30 for my 6:00 am flight without even asking. My only real complaint is that is was not a "resort" and it was so severely outdated that I would never stay there again on my own dime or even LIAT's dime.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Ocean Point Resort & Spa
#4 of 15 in St. John's
Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts
Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!