“It didn't have to happen this way...”

Sunshine Island beach Tour
Ranked #35 of 42 Tours in St. John's
Reviewed 4 December 2013

So I contacted Rodney a month or so prior to our arrival, and everything was fine. I signed my wife and I up for the "regular tour" and he sent instructions on where and when we would meet. As expected, Rodney was there waiting with a sign as promised. Unfortunately though, that was the last time we saw Rodney as he passed us off to a driver where we boarded a van with 5 other people. The driver did just that; he drove. Sure, he would answer questions and occasionally point something out, but as a "guide", he was just not all that good. Two of the places we stopped, Betty's Hope, and the Nelson's Dockyard had additional entry fees that we were not informed about. When we asked our driver if they were included in the price of the tour he said "No."

In visting with the two other parties in the van, I discovered that they had signed up for the "extended tour" which I knew from the website to be $10 more per person. So now what am I supposed to pay at the end of the day? Very awkward.

Darkwood beach was nice, but the restaurant there was pretty unremarkable. The drive around the island was OK, but it really would have been better if we would have been able to learn more about the island and the people during the short time we were there.

To conclude, based on other comments and reviews, I firmly believe that the day would have been much better if Rodney been our guide for the day. I would have also been able to clear up the confusion over the entry fees and the tour cost. As it was though, I can only leave an "Average" rating.

3  Thank 10-S-E-N

Reviewed 8 April 2013

After some time spent investigating tour possibilitieson line I booked this tour directly with Rodney about two months before our cruise ship was due to dock at the island. I discussed with him over 3 emails, organised the rendez-vous at the cruise terminal, DID NOT PAY IN ADVANCE and hey presto all worked like clockwork !
Rodney was ready and waiting with a sign, just outside the terminal gates amongst all the other drivers and would -be drivers. BRILLIANT. We shared our bus with another couple and had a splendid tour of the island. Rodney gave us a two hour break on Darkwood beach whilst he drove the other couple back to the port. He was courteous, informative , patient and really interested in his native island. He took us to a couple of spots not frequented by other tours but also showed us as much as possible in the nearly five hours we spent with him. A very honest, very dependable man. To be recommended !

2  Thank Pat H
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Ashfield met us as we got off the Celebrity Eclipse. My wife & I were the only people on this tour of Antigua, and Ashfield couldn't have been nicer and accomodating. He took us on a tour of the island visiting Devil's Bridge, Nelson's Shipyard, an old sugar cane plantation. He pointed out so many places and even explained about the wild sheep and horses we saw roaming the island in groups. It was both fun and educational thanks to Ashfield.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

During our stay in Antigua we took a tour with Sunshine Island Beach Tour, hosted by Rodney Francis. We took the extended tour and couldn't have been happier. Rodney picked us up at our resort at 9:30AM we begun our tour immediately. We saw all the attractions of the island and more. Rodney was very knowledgable about the island and was very flexible with the tour. He has a modern air conditioned van that we did the tour in. His rates we very reasonable. I would take a tour with Sunshine Island Beach Tours again.

1  Thank sumi9669
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I contacted Sunshine Island Beach tours to arrange for an airport transfer to our hotel and a stop at a grocery stop for a few items. Rodney, the owner/driver, answered my emails quickly which was appreciated. He was right on time at the airport to pick us up and even got us some water which was very welcome on a hot afternoon after a long flight. He was friendly and shared interesting stories about his country and culture as he is also a tour guide. We liked Rodney so much that we asked him to transport us for our excursion later in the week and also for the return flight home. It is important to note that he was always on time and went the extra mile to make sure we were at the right dropoff spot for our excursion and flight.

1  Thank Weimie