“Runied our day in Antigua”

Explore Antigua with Gordan
Ranked #30 of 44 Tours in St. John's
Grimsby, Ontario
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Runied our day in Antigua”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Booked this tour with Gordon based on trip advisor reviews back in July. Email was great, seemed like Gordon was going to live up to his reputation. We arrived by cruise Feb 26th with 9 in our group. I had privately booked a tour with Stingray City for a 9am departure, and then a dropoff and pickup at Dickenson's Bay and back to the peir. I was assured by Gordon we would be able to make this, even with our ship arriving at 8am. He was to meet us on the boardwalk at 8:15 sharp. It was cool and cloudy, we ran back on board to get jackets and were at the boardwalk at 8:20. We were greeted by a man with a Gordon tour sign, and told to wait. 10 minutes passed and I explained we had to hurry, he told us Gordon had to leave and would be back shortly. Just before 9, Gordon showed up, looking very rushed, with a folder and speaking on a cell phone. He barely said hello, led us hurriedly to another driver, a 5 minute walk away, and dropped us off with a very elderly gentleman named "Woodpecker" who would be our guide. AT 9:05 we left.

I immediately told him about our booked tour, he told me we missed it, would we like another tour? I borrowed his phone, called Stingray City and they told us to hurry. What I was told would be a 20 minute drive was actually 35 minutes. Needless to say, we missed the tour. I suggested a small tour on the way back, he literally stopped at 1 church. I fell with my 2 year old getting out of the bus, scrapping me and my 2 year olds leg. He didn't even get out of the bus to see if I was ok. We then got dropped back off at the port, he asked for full price, I said no, and we settled on 30 less than the original price. I was so disappointed, as were my older kids, at age 11 and 13, they were looking forward to the Stingrays. I was mad at the tour for being late, the lack of any kind of tour, the price. I wish he would of offered to stop at Nelson's dockyard, or ANYWHERE! I've never been to Antigua, I didn't have a clue what to ask for after we missed the tour I had planned. I read all these great things about how Gordon gets great black pineapple, and meat pies, we got nothing, a long, expensive drive to Stingray City and back. You think he would have suggested something, especially when I asked for a small tour on the way back, I even asked about the black pineapple, he told me it was the sweetest in the Carribean, but didn't offer to find us any.

Just a disappointing day. We got back to the ship, the sun came out and we hired a cab to take us to Dickenson's Bay for $15 each way (for 6 of us, the other 3 had enough and returned to the ship). I just read another poor review for the same day we were in port, and seems Gordon overextended himself, maybe a wake up call after the negative reviews? There are tons of cab drivers who seem willing to take you wherever you want, we had much better luck with someone who had no booked trips. This was one excursion I wished I booked through Carnival, and I never thought I would ever have to say that!

Visited February 2014
3 Thank Mandyland

Jacksonville, FL
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“We loved Antigua”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We were a party of 10. Communicated with Gordon via email and were all set for us to have our own minibus. Everything went as explained in his email. We met on the dock and the 10 of us had our private van - our driver was Leon. Personally we all really enjoyed Leon that day...is Gordon better, we don't know! But Leon is good :). He is friendly, informative and eager to help you enjoy your day. The tour went as it was advertised and we had no complaints about anything. Antigua is a beautiful island we hope to visit again soon.

Visited March 2014
cmitch9999
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Not the tour we had expected for sure!!”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We had booked what we had thought was a small group tour with Gordon based on the many excellent reviews on trip advisor and the cruise boards. Email communication was quick and responsive, we had 6 in our group and Gordon had told me his van held 10.

On Tues Feb 26th we awoke to a bit of drizzle and clouds in Antigua. We met up with Gordon on the boardwalk, he was busy handling a folder with many confirmations as well as juggling the phone from time to time. He escorted us to another area and there we met up with another set of passengers, a group of 25, our 6 and 8 more= total 39! There was chaos at first trying to get everyone settled into 3 different vans. The group of 25 had been told they would all be together and ended up split up in the vans. Our group did not get the van with Gordon.

Our driver was named Rodney... we had to ask him his name..he volunteered NOTHING..the tour was bout 4 hrs on the bus and no narration was offered. If you asked him questions, he would reply in 1-2 word answers but not elaborate. It was maddening to me to have this one day in Antigua -- maybe the only visit in my lifetime-- and bypass the entire island with no guide to share the country and places we had traveled by. After bout 45 min the buses all came to a stop by a church and everyone was given water and soda to drink. We visited the interpretation center where we did get a bit of history of the island, shirley heights, where Gordon did give a 10 min presentation to the 39 people in the group. We then went to the Dockyard. There Gordon sat us all down in an area and purchased some meat or veggie pies for the group. I talked to Gordon and he went to get some beer for the 4 of us in our group that was interested This tour was the enhanced tour where fruit, snacks, soda and beer on request ( we had requested beer for our group) would be provided. I had a chance to talk to Gordon at the Shirley Heights stop and told him how unhappy I was with the tour, that I had expected a small group. I told him if I had wanted a large group experience I could have booked it with the cruiseline. I informed him about the lack of information that Rodney was providing our group on the bus. He apologized and said he had a last min driver cancel on him and Rodney was a subsitute. He told me we would get a discount on the tour at the end of the day. Bummed but that was the way it was for us. I had asked someone on Gordon's bus and they said he was great, he had a microphone and would joke and share the stories of life on Antigua as well as point out the different sites on the route. We ended our day at Long Beach, Rodney did take our group down to Devil's Bridge which we appreciated. The rain had left us and we did get in almost 2 hours of delightful beach time before heading back.
I do give Gordon credit for offering us a 50% discount on the tour (usual price $50 + 8 for dockyard-- we paid $33 each including the dockyard)

I wish I had requested that Gordon let us know if he could not be our driver and if he was going to add more to the group than the 10 that his van would take. We still had an ok time, it was difficult to accept that the day was not what we had hoped for. I feel that Gordon got GREEDY when he had the chance to snag that group of 25 and we were the ones who paid the price.

I feel sad when I read the glowing reviews and just wish we had had that same experience in Antigua.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank cmitch9999
Toledo, Ohio
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Best land-based tour ever!”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We were a group of five sailing on the Carnival Freedom from January 11 - January 19, 2014. One of the stops on our cruise was Antigua and it was the first time that any of us had stopped on this island. First, let me say that this was one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited and I've been to quite a few islands in the Caribbean. I chose Antigua to do a tour mostly because we were only one of two ships that were in port that day so we wouldn't be overrun. After doing some research both here and cruise critic, I decided to go with Gordon Tours. This was the best decision I ever made. I had a few questions that I posed through email and Gordon promptly answered them. We booked a private tour for only $10 more per person than the regular tour and it was well worth it. We booked a private tour because we didn't want to be restricted to the time limits of a larger group and we didn't want to spend any length of time at a beach. I was given instructions of where to meet Gordon at 9:00 a.m. Antigua time on the day of our arrival. He was easy to find, except it wasn't Gordon. It turns out Gordon took the larger tour that day and we had Leon, one of his other tour guides. Well thank goodness for that because Leon was AMAZING! I just can't say enough good things about him. He was so knowledgeable about the history of the island, he answered every question we had and had a great personality and sense of humor. In fact, when we stopped at all of the locations we toured, he would stay with us and give us some history on the place along with interesting facts. People that were on other tours started to gravitate toward us and several even commented that they wished they could leave their tour just to be with Leon. I just can't say enough good things about Leon and this tour. It was so much more than we ever expected. I would highly recommend it and encourage anyone visiting the island to ask for Leon. The van we travelled in was immaculate, air conditioned and very comfy. If you're going to Antigua, definitely get Leon to show you around!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Brenda D
Tampa, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best guided tour of Antigua”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We were in Antigua December 2013 on a Carnival cruise. Gordon's tour and Antigua was our favorite of our 4 port stops. Gordon has a great sense of humor and sang songs for us (he has a great voice too). He pointed out everything we saw along the way and answered all of our questions. The local food he stopped to pick up for us was delicious! I highly recommend Gordon for seeing all the must see sights of this beautiful island. All the sights we wanted to see plus more with 2 hours at the beach. We were back to the ship in plenty of time, so no worries for cruisers who are looking for a reasonably priced, fantastic tour.

Visited December 2013