“Home!”

The Villas at Sunset Lane
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Private, Warm and Beautiful. I miss Jackie and her cooking already. I've not been disappointed in any trip to Antigua. This is my 3rd trip in 12mos. and every trip gets better and better. The Hotel is beautiful in its "Island Pink and White" with lush green trees surrounding. Jackie, can you move to LA?
God Bless.

Room Tip: Take a top floor Rm!! The VIEW!!!!!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank ivory j

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We just returned from our stay at the Villa's and would recommend this place to anyone who likes great food, great service and wants the more "home like" feel of a resort rather than the large properties. Jackie and her staff will go out of their way to make sure that your stay meets or exceeds all of your expectations. Ryan her go to guy was also the best. He really tries to make sure that you are having a great time and that includes stops at the local bars. He was the last person we saw most evenings and was there again to greet us the next day. Overall, we hope to return and would say at the Villa's again.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very nice but the ones in the main villa have the best views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ctownbaker
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I have just returned from a 10 day holiday with my family (adult). We had read the glowing reviews of this boutique hotel and were not disappointed. It was everything we had hoped. The hotel itself is very attractive with comfortable rooms, a dining room with beautiful views over Dickenson Bay and a peaceful and inviting pool. But what makes this hotel so special is Jackie, the proprietor and her staff, in particular Ryan. Nothing is too much trouble for her and we soon felt as if we were staying with an old friend. If there is anything you want to do in Antigua just mention it to her and she will organise it. She is also a brilliant chef, even persuading my son - a reluctant cook- to try his hand at cooking her special jerk chicken and showing him how to do it. Ryan too was always willing to drive us around and was unfailingly cheerful, on time and knew his way to wherever we requested (including finding the departure point for the Montserrat ferry, which seemed to have been moved without prior notification). Be warned, this is no ordinary hotel and will spoil you for anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank Sian D
Reviewed 5 September 2012

My boyfriend and I were in desperate need of a good vacation. As soon as we arrived at the airport, someone was waiting to pick us up. It was so easy and no hassle. The driver was promptly ON TIME! Once we reached the actual hotel, it just got better. Jackie greeted us at the entrance with warm hugs and smiles and delicious cocktails. Jackie is the owner of the place but the personal service she rendered was outstanding. She was so attentive and completely organized. She had lunch ready by the time we went to freshen up. We felt like celebrities there. It truly was paradise. The beach was beyond gorgeous. The water was simply divine. The property was just the perfect sanctuary we needed. The food! OMG. The food was prepared by jackie. Every single meal was made by jackie and it was splendid. Flavourful dishes but the food was light. Not too heavy and completely satisfying. the other patrons there were amazing also. We actually formed a strong friendship with anther couple that was staying there. We are still close to that couple and are planning an international visit. I could go on and on about how amazing the experience was. My boyfriend and I have decided to make an annual trip to Antigua just to rejuvenate and continue our wonderful experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Esereo
Reviewed 2 September 2012

My wife and I spent 8 amazing days at the Villas at Sunset Lane in April 2012 and we had the most fantastic holiday experience.

We did extensive research before booking a hotel, as we wanted to ensure it ticked all our boxes…close proximity to a fantastic beach, amazing food, a boutique style atmosphere and a relaxed environment for us to chill out from our hectic everyday lives. And the Villas at Sunset Lane delivered top marks on all accounts. Right from we arrived at the airport where we were picked up by Ryan who is a smiley and warm individual until we had to leave again.

The team at the Villas was one of the most fantastic hotel experiences we have had – and both my wife and I have travelled extensively around the world. Jacqui is a fantastic host and a very warm and charismatic person. She looks after her guests as they were family. Everything was possible, never too much trouble and she will happily provide help, guidance and book any experience we were keen on to get around the island (make sure you take the time on a Sunday to go to Shirley Heights and experience the bbq, view, steel band and fantastic experience....it's a must when visiting Antigua).

Jacqui is a very talented cook who prepared the most amazing dishes for every meal we enjoyed at the Villas (served on their beautiful terrace overlooking Dickenson Bay). Usually, this was started by her asking us what we would like to enjoy for the next meal and, based on our requests, she cooked up plates of food that made the taste buds melt. We certainly expanded our culinary horizons and my wife will never forget the home-made chicken noodle soup that Jacqui prepared – she enjoyed it so much that she requested it three times!!

My wife was unwell when we arrived and Jacqui and her team did not know all the good they could do to help her recover. Something you would never have experienced at a ‘normal’ hotel. The service from the team is exceptional and they are all very attentive and they always go the extra mile to make the time at the Villas as enjoyable for their guests – and they do this on a bespoke basis, so whatever having a special holiday means to you, the team will try their utmost to provide this for you.

The Villas is located 5 min walk from one of Antigua’s most amazing beaches (Dickensons bay) – same beach where The Sandals resort is based. We spent a fair few days on the beach soaking up the sun, sipping cocktails and trying out the many different water sports activities on offer (jet skiing can definitely be recommended). Jacqui has an arrangement with one of the beach bars so guests from the villas can use their sun loungers and parasols free of charge.

The Villas is not your typical four star resort – it is so much more and almost impossible to explain when putting pen to paper. You will need to go there and experience this for yourselves and hopefully like we did you will end leaving feeling refreshed and revitalised from having been spoilt throughout your stay.

If you are considering going to Antigua and you want to treat yourself and your loved one(s) then we would recommend staying at the Villas. We have stayed at other hotels in Antigua but, in our book, nothing compares to the Villas.

All in all, we had the most amazing time at the Villas and we’ll give this fantastic hotel 4 stars – 1 for Jacqueline; 1 for Ryan; 1 for Ms. Thomas and 1 for Champ.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PeterHoffmann
Reviewed 24 August 2012

My Lady and I stayed there for her birthday celebration for 5 days August of 2012. Upon arrival we were pick up ON TIME from the airport by Ryan (Driver/Porter) and at the property, welcomed by the warm/charismatic Jackie (owner). Jackie is the heart and soul of VASL. She is extremely organized and provides a personal touch unavailable at larger properties (Galley Bay/Sandals). The room (I recommend upgrading to the balcony suite) was super spacious, clean and well appointed with an updated bathroom and heated jacuzzi tub. One of the special things about this place is the cuisine. Jackie is a trained chef and will prepare pretty much anything you ask for breakfast, lunch and dinner. When we went to the beach (8 minute walk from property), she packed sandwiches for our lunch. Although the property is tucked away in a quiet residential area, Ryan, will drive you wherever you want to go...whenever you want to go. I once asked him "what time do you get off". He replied "Whenever our guests go to bed". Overall a lovely experience. When in Antigua - Stay There!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Balcony Rooms. Well worth the additional cost
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2012

My husband and I stayed with Jackie for 4 nights in April, and I cannot recommend this place enough. First, Antigua is a gorgeous island and it's probably the best beach & water we've ever experienced. The Villa is situated in the hills overlooking Dickenson Bay and is just above Sandals Resort to help give you an idea of where you'll be on the island. It is important to note that you are not on the beach, but the views of the tropical vegetaion and Caribbean are stunning. I will also point out that you can absolutely walk to the beach within 7-10 minutes, however, to get to the place where you'll get your chairs is at least another 5 minutes.

I'm not even sure where to start because there are so many good things to pass along. As in all of my reviews, I try to cover what I want to know when I use TA to plan all of our vacations. The Villa itself is immaculately clean and very spacious. We were there at the end of April and there was one other couple (honeymooners from Canada) and a local woman visiting family. Each afternoon we would come back from the beach and enjoy a refreshing swim in the pool and we always had it all to ourselves. We have never experienced anything like it in the Caribbean. We always stay at a beachfront resort where we've had to fight for chairs at 7:00am, eat cold buffet food, and listen to loud music at any given hour of the day. Here, it was unbelievably peaceful. There was nothing but relaxation. If that doesn't sound good to you, don't stay here. If you need exciting nightlife with a bar, dancing, loud music and lots of people then this is not the place for you. If you want time to reconnect with your loved one or just chill out, then you will find no better place. And the food. Oh my, what to say about the food.

It was the food that sold me in the reviews, and I was so afraid that it had been overhyped. It wasn't. Believe it. The woman can cook. I ate things I NEVER would have eaten at home. I ate a whole fresh fish (I looked it in the eye), and Jackie taught me how to debone it. My husband and I fought over the last scraps as we picked them clean. I ate salted fish in fried dough buns for breakfast. It was unreal. Not only do you get to pretend that you have a private villa, but you get the luxury of a true chef catering to your every need. It is very clear that Jackie takes great pride in what she does and she passes that along to her guests. Do not even pretend to be on a diet here. Eat the carrot cake. We did...every night. The house white wine is fantastic and we consumed at least 2 bottles a day (sorry Jackie!). One night, we sat on the terrace with the other couple and Jackie came out and joined us. We sat and talked together for 2 1/2 hours like old friends. Again, if you need the anonymity of being at a large resort where you never engage with anyone else, don't come here. If you want truly warm hospitality & genuine interest in your comfort, this is the place to find it.

We stayed in one of the end rooms which was a Premium Suite. It was terrific and so private. Our door opened onto the patio but there was never any noise to disturb us. The room was very spacious, the bed was super comfortable, the AC was good & there was a ceiling fan, cable tv with lots of US programming, the bathroom was huge (and nicer than ours at home), and there was a basket with water, soda, mini rum bottles, and granola bars. I recall seeing at least one review that commented about watching your bill for additional food or drink charges. This is an all-inclusive resort. There were no additional charges at any time. Between us & the other couple, we drank the place dry of cold wine & beer every single day and we consumed everything in our basket in our room during our stay. If you need tropical frozen drinks with umbrellas, there is no bartender here. We were content with the Caribbean beer & wine so it didn't matter to us. If you need mixed drinks, I would recommend grabbing a bottle of liquor at a duty free shop and bring it with you.

I cannot offer any suggestions or recommendations for any tours or things to do. We got up, ate breakfast, walked to the beach, came back, swam in the pool, drank, took a nap, watched the sunset, ate dinner, talked, then went to bed. Press repeat for 4 days. Four glorious days. Had we wanted to do anything, Jackie could have arranged it for us. Her driver Ryan picked us up from the airport and took us back to the airport, and on our first day he drove us down to the beach and showed us where we could find chairs. Once the gentleman at the beach bar knew that we were with Miss Jackie, there was no charge for the chairs. We did buy beer from him each day, though. The beach itself is just gorgeous with the softest white sand and beautiful water. It was so uncrowded, too. If you are trying to decide on a time of year to go, the end of April was spectacular. The weather was postcard perfect and there were days when we were the only two people actually in the water at the Bay.

I take vacationing very seriously. I plot & plan and use this site for all of my decisions. I was very torn between the Villa and Galley Bay because with Galley Bay, I knew what to expect from a big beachfront resort. I took a leap of faith with choosing the Villas at Sunset Lane and put my trust into my other TA advisors. I now pass that on to you. Stay here. It will be the most memorable Caribbean vacation you ever have. And all of your friends will be very, very jealous.

Room Tip: Our premium room was very private & large.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Sugar Ridge Resort
Sugar Ridge Resort
#2 of 2 in Jolly Harbour
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua

Been to The Villas at Sunset Lane? Share your experiences!