“great food & location”

Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Quaint restaurant right in the heart of town. Love this spot with it's open seating overlooking the bustling main street & the harbor (partially). We've eaten here several times. Breakfasts are excellent as are their lunches. They do a great fish sandwich & coconut shrimp soup. I am also quite partial to their desserts!! The staff & owners are friendly. We always try to stop here whenever we are in Antigua.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We were a group of 8 high school students and 2 teachers who were in transit in Antigua while on a school trip. We stopped in at Hemingways on our first layover and had a nice time. The service was good the food was good and the bill was reasonable (approx $120 for 7 people, food and drinks, and we added a $15 tip). On our way back, we decided to stop in again for breakfast this time. We knew that they could accommodate our group, that the food was good and that they they were scheduled to serve breakfast from 9 to 11:30. We got there at 9:30 and were told we would have to wait for the staff to set up. We complied.
However, once we were seated, the trouble began. Other diners, groups of 2 and 3 people, came in after us and we saw their orders being taken, while we waited for someone to come to us and ask us for our orders. Then those diners got their drinks and, still, we waited. Eventually, I got up, pointed out that we were there first and asked the waitress what was happening. She said that since the other diners were only having drinks she wanted to get them 'out of the way' first. I said that since she hadn't even taken our order so she did not even know what we wanted. I stood by her until she went to our table and took the breakfast orders. All the while I was considering the logistics of just walking out of there but rejecting the idea because the students were hungry (they had been up since 4 a.m) and each us would have to hoist our backpacks to trudge through the town looking for some other restaurant.
Eventually, we ate but it left a sour taste in my mouth. I hate to say it, but there were only two major differences between my group and the other customers. First, we were a group of ten. The bill came up to $161. So what would make a waitstaff decide to jeopardize a $161 check for other diners whose checks would average $30? That brings me to the second difference. We were black and other diners were not.
I talked to the owner at the end of our meal. She said that she would talk to the staff and she apologized. She offered better service the next time we visited. We don't live in Antigua and so a return visit is highly unlikely. But, if I happen to be in Antigua again, I would never, ever, ever return to Hemingways Caribbean Cafe. After all, I'll still be black.

4  Thank MaymayVI
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We got here hungry, which was a mistake, because the service was sloooow. Crazy slow! But when we did get food, it was out of this world! The conch fritters were quite large, about the size of a racquet ball, with big chunks of conch! The honey-chili oil dip was so good I almost cried!! Then we chased that down with a fish sandwich that was lime none we had ever had before! Lightly battered basso fish and speckled with pepper. Fantastic breeze and great place to people watch from the outside balcony! Two beers and a rum drink plus lunch was about 35$. Well worth the price!

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Despite its location at cruise ship central Hemingway's was a great spot for lunch and some chilled white wine overlooking the septugenarian shufflers on their 200-yard tour of Antigua.
Fresh fish,good salads,tasty burgers and some superb garlic shrimps.
Well-trained wait staff were polite and cheerful and readily willing to mix and match items on the menu.
Recommended.

Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

The food was excellent , the outdoor atmosphere on the second floor overlooking downtown St. John's was beautiful. The staff were very friendly and the service was great.
Highly recommended!