“A decent stay for a decent amount of money”
Review of Anchorage Inn

Anchorage Inn
Ranked #5 of 15 St. John's B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We spent our whole summer vacation here. Got a great deal, and couldnt say no. We were accommodated in a small room, but at least it was clean. The room had a small kitchenette with a stove, sink and a fridge, but this was not connected, just standing there taking up space. Without anywhere to cook, we wanted to check out the restaurant the hotel promotes itself with, only to find it was closed almost every day (even the reception was surprised it was closed). We are familiar with the culture of Antigua, so we know how things work. However, we were disappointed that the only thing they could offer for dinner, was to tale a walk to First Choice (the grocery store).
The staff was friendly enough, and did their best in operating the hotel. The product was just not good enough, when we requested a few simple things (I was told to go look for the room attendent when we didnt receive a refill of toiletpaper after the weekly cleaning of the room, and they forgot to give our key to the security when the reception closed in the evening, so I had to wait for 40minutes for the receptionist to come back to work to find our key). But no matter how many obstacles we met, we still love the island and the people there!!

Room Tip: The rooms in the second appears to be bigger than in the first floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Nikki S, Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

As the new incoming manager, I can reassure you that our rooms have been closely inspected and everything is now connected and working without a problem. We offer many ammenities in our rooms, which make them some of the best value accomodation in the Dickenson Bay area. Our staff are receiving ongoing training and with their happy and helpful dispositions are giving great service these days. We hope to see you again one day!

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We just finished our third trip to Antigua, staying, as always, at the Anchorage Inn -- our home away from home. Our group of college students stayed there for 10 days, enjoying the traditional breakfasts, relaxing pool, and the extremely pleasant staff. The staff there treat us like family, and they are very accommodating to our single, double and triple bedroom needs.Our trip next year is already in the planning stages, and we are certainly headed back to the Anchorage Inn.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Bill H

Anchorage Inn has for a long time been the favourite hotel for groups of all kinds, and we have a lot of experience to offer! So pleased we are giving you the value and service you need and looking forward to your return soon! With the self catering facilities and nearby supermarket we can suit all budgets.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

While traveling to Antigua for my sister's wedding, we decided to arrive a day early and unable to stay at the resort until the next day. Anchorage Inn was just up the road from the resort and just up the road from downtown St. John's. The room had air condition, and US tv stations, which was impressive. I would stay here again, and recommend others as well.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank artisticsol
Nikki S, Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for your kind review of Anchorage Inn! We are very proud of our intimate hotel with it's personal service, super convenient location, and reasonable prices! We do hope you return one day! We are always planning new ways to keep improving our product and our service!

Reviewed 21 April 2013

The hotel is quietly situated just outside St Johns and a 10 minute walk away from the beautiful Dickenson beach. Our studio room was not as well equipped as some we have stayed in - only cups and spoons provided with the fridge and microwave but the restaurant provided plates and cutlery. Also no hairdryer - but again one loaned from reception. The hotel is very calm and peacekeeping and if you prefer to be a little independant and away from the hustle and bustle it is ideal. The staff are absolutely wonderful and cannot be faulted. Fernando provides a little shuttle bus to take you to the beach but do also use the local buses - great value and a nice way to meet the locals. A huge supermarket just a few minutes walk away. Many thanks to all the lovely staff who
made our 2 week stay a very happy one- nothing was too much trouble and we felt we had made friends at the Anchoridge

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Denise C

We are so happy you enjoyed your vacation with us! Come back any time to see all your friends here again!! You are right - the location of Anchorage Inn is a great base to explore Antigua from, or visit on a business trip. We have a new restaurant now tempting our guests with delicious freshly produced dishes with local ingredients, and are now designing a new web site. And the weather right now is absolutely beautiful!! Always improving!!

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Stayed at the Anchorage Inn for three nights. Arrived late and noone was there to meet me so I was offered a ride by a local who drives the flight crew to their hotels. Upon arrival I was put in
room #3 which was a very small, windowless room under the stairs. Next day I asked for another room and was given room #6 which was on the upper floor with windows, sliding door, and a great breeze so I did not have to use the AC. Used the nice pool but did not eat there. This hotel was one mile from the beach but too far from the town to which I took a local bus for 80 cents US. They run quite frequently and are actually vans. Depending on the time of the day, it takes about fifteen to twenty minutes to get to town. Also took local buses to the airport (if not staying in town, need two buses--less than 2.00 US). Since I am a fan of local food I asked the locals where to eat and they directed me to the RotiKing but on the way up I saw a
street vendor who was quite busy so I bought a curried chicken platter with pasta salad, dirty rice, veggie, plantains, and water for about $4US and it was delicious. Next day I got the lamb
chops which were excellent!!! Across the street was a local selling fresh fruit so that was my
breakfast for three days ($2.70 US). Finally went to the RotiKing and had a beef roti which was
what I expected and had in St. Vincent only not as tasty but good.
There were two huge cruise ships in the dock and a casino right nearby as well as all the shops
and tourist traps. Used the internet at Best of Books store: an hour for $5 US. Since there was
not much to see or do, I will not revisit Antigua. The locals were friendly, esp. the man selling the coconut milk which I love (he then scooped out the meat for you into a cup).

Room Tip: Upper rooms for fresh air. No amenities offered other than soap.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your review of Anchorage Inn! You were very adventurous, exploring all over! I imagine the bus took a route to drop off and pick up into St John's, as it is generally a 5 minute drive! We offer a really great service for a very reasonable price, which appeals to business clientel as well as travellers coming to enjoy Antigua.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

On a recent cruise to this part of the world my wife unfortunately fell ill and was hospitalized, The insurance booked this hotel for me. The hotel itself could do with a bit of refurbishing in places but is kept very clean and the staff are probably the most friendly and helpful I have ever come across.
The hotel is very quiet but only 5 mins drive from the beach and town

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank philip p

Thank you for your kind words on Anchorage Inn - you are right - I think we have the most caring genuine staff on this lovely island! I am so glad you found us excellent and do hope you come back and visit us again!

Reviewed 19 February 2013

We recently stayed overnight at the Anchorage in Antigua when our ferry transportation to Montserrat was cancelled.. While the hotel is basic it was very clean.
We cannot say enough about Kamesha on the front desk who was extremely helpful and arranged for reliable and safe transportation to the airport. She helped us to make a number of calls to the ferry terminal and was very courteous. She was extremely busy as the hotel was very full due to two cricket teams staying there. Even though things were very hectic she provided excellent customer service and showed empathy for our situation.

Room Tip: I would choose an upper room as there is less traffic noise. I suggest room 10 as it was a little m...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
#6 of 15 in St. John's
The Catamaran Hotel
The Catamaran Hotel
#1 of 15 in St. John's

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!