“Nice people and very good service!”
Review of Inn La Galleria

Inn La Galleria
Ranked #7 of 15 St. John's B&B and Inns
South Africa
“Nice people and very good service!”
Reviewed 5 November 2008

Gregory was really great, even drove us to town a few times during a public Holiday.

Nice beaches within walking distance and very good internet connection.

Would recommend it!

• Liked — Internet & Beaches
  • Disliked — Minibar
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank magnotta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 November 2007

I had a great experience at the Inn La Galleria. The most notable feature is the breathtaking view from both the public areas and the rooms on the top floor (not sure about the view from other levels). Yes, you can see a big orange hotel; it is not a big inconvenience compared to the rest of the landscape - green hills, ocean, lagoon. I walked to the beach each morning (shared by La Galleria with the hotel down the hill - 5 minute walk), and it had sugary white sand, palm trees, calm water that was as clear as glass. The breakfasts were wonderful - I chose fresh fruit, a cheese omelette, English bacon, toast, and tea. La Galleria is not a luxury hotel; you cannot expect 300 thread-count sheets. The public areas were not spotless, but my room and bathroom were perfectly clean. I paid $85 a night on an island where resorts run into the stratosphere; this is a great deal for someone who wants to be in a quiet place with friendly hosts and to soak up the gorgeous local landscape.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Few mosquitos
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank VolcanoTraveller
Bartlesville OK
Reviewed 13 February 2007

I wholeheartedly agree with the previous posting. I had a confirmed reservation for one night in early February while in transit to Montserrat. I had been in touch with Belgrove and had indicated I would be a very late arrival (approximately 11:00 p.m.) as I was arriving on the last American Airlines flight from San Juan. This property is a 15-20 minute ride ($20 USD) from the airport so I arrived at the hotel at 11:20. There was no one at the desk but I finally located Belgrove (who was asleep) and asked for my room. Belgrove had sold my room earlier that evening and there were no available rooms. Frankly, I wasn't impressed with the property anyway but I was very unhappy with the fact that the room had been sold. I ended up staying at the Caribbean Inn in St. John which was quite nice for an overnight stay (ask for Ivan, the manager).

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Location, bad service
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled solo
5 Thank VolcanoGroupie

Travellers are raving about these St. John's hotels

NYC
Reviewed 11 January 2007

We selected this B&B based on the tripadvisor reviews and its ranking as number 1 B&B in Antigua: frankly we strongly disagree with the other reviewers. The building must have been planned by a drunk architect and it is rundown. While the view is partially nice from the terrace (if you omit the orange project-like ex-Ramada Inn right in front of you), there is no view from the rooms. We fell asleep with a geko on the bed board (amusing) and were awaken at 3 am by bed bugs (not amusing). The breakfast consists of unpeeled bananas and mushy white bread. We cannot fathom how it got on top of the list. Mr. Belgrove is very nice though. Go there only if you don't care about esthetics and don't mind sharing your bed with reptiles and insects.

• Liked — the view form the terrace
  • Disliked — the bedbugs
  • Tips/Secrets — IF oyu need to stay in antigua only 1 night in transit, go to Dickenson bay
  • Stayed January 2007
6 Thank Worldtraveller-10001
Cleveland Ohio USA
Reviewed 12 December 2006

If 'family-owned' and 'family-run' is part of a hotel's description, I have usually had excellent experiences. Inn La Galleria is happily no exception.

The owner Belgrove Gregory, was not only a gracious and warm host, but extremely resourceful and helpful with our many logistical issues and requests.

The hotel has a number of different room configurations: (views- ocean vs. mountain; amenities- in room kitchenette vs. refridgerator; size- spacious vs. cozy) all of which are a good value for the price. The rooms were clean, if a bit spartan. And the bathrooms were spotless, with generic features.

With such a gorgeous public area on two levels overlooking a bay and the ocean, your in-room time should be minimal anyway, other than sleeping! The views are truly awe inspiring, as the hotel is perched on a hill with a 270 degree view of the surroundings.

Consider eating some meals at the hotel. Belgrove's wife, Patricia was an excellent cook, and he also recruits another chef, Ashley from a nearby bar/restaurant, to whip up delicious food as well.

Because the hotel is small, it has no recreational facilities, but it is convenient to other hotels with pools and other watersports.

I have no hesitations about giving this hotel an unqualified strong reference!

• Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
7 Thank beaubo
Aussie from Maleny
Reviewed 7 December 2006

The Inn La Galleria was like a piece of Paradise on the outskirts of St.John's. It was so quiet and the view was magnificent over the coastline. It was within walking distance to a beach for a swim although over somewhat rough roads (but quite usual for the island as all the roads are in some disrepair). The local bus has a regular route with a stop quite handy to the hotel and the experience of riding with locals is something everyone should have and it is very cheap. Journey into St.John's was about 10-15 mins depending on no. of stops to be made. If staying for a length of time, I would recommend a hire car for convenience and seeing more of the island at an easier pace. I think hire cars were about $50 a day.
Breakfast was huge and graciously served at whatever time I required it. Mine host Gregory was there at all times to help me and as a lone female traveller, I felt quite comfortable and secure. Nothing was ever too much trouble for him, even waking me up at 5am to catch my plane!!! My time on Antigua was enjoyable and quite a slow down of pace after being in New York for the previous couple of weeks.
Access to the hotel could be a problem for people with any disabilities as their are a number of steep stairs and a very steep driveway.
The perfect spot for a restful holiday away from the trapping of a fancy resort type complex. A family run business who makes you feel quite at home.....

• Liked — Friendly hospitality, cleanliness of rooms and the view.....
  • Disliked — Beach access, and trip in and out of St.John's
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
4 Thank Soucig
new orleans
Reviewed 18 October 2006

Stayed 2 nights in Sep 06 before a cruise. Staff at Inn La Galleria was so nice, and I felt very well taken care of. As a female traveling alone, I felt totally comfortable here.

Post-cruise I needed a place again. I wanted to try in St. Johns, so I checked out 2 properties in the city in the same price range: they couldn't compare. I came back to Inn La Galleria and I was glad I did.

This inn offers a lovely view, but the steps are steep - this is not the place for someone with lots of luggage or mobility problems. It's quite a hike to the beach, and the Grand Royal Antiguan aggressively discouraged my trek to "their" beach even though they had few guests of their own. (I had been told all beaches on Antigua are public.) Other guests told me they were welcomed at Galley Bay resort's beach. Inn La Galleria does not have a pool.

The only real minus was the taxi arranged (twice) by the Inn. The driver was not helpful and avoided contact with any luggage (meaning I and the other gal, with a knee brace, had to struggle with our bags to get them to the van, at which point he finally took over). I found my own taxi driver in town - Johnny with the Red Shoes - and arranged for him to take me to the airport on my last morning.

Five Islands is pretty far from town, but Mon-Sat the bus into St John's costs about $1 USD. With what you'll save by staying here, you'll be able to afford a few taxi rides or even a rental car.

• Liked — very personal service - I felt like family
  • Disliked — lack of beach
  • Tips/Secrets — pack light, but don't forget the repellant. rent a car and the island is yours.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
#8 of 15 in St. John's
Caribbean Inn
Caribbean Inn
#4 of 15 in St. John's

Been to Inn La Galleria? Share your experiences!