“A view to die for .....”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Inn La Galleria

Inn La Galleria
Ranked #7 of 15 St. John's B&B and Inns
Aussie from Maleny
“A view to die for .....”
Reviewed 7 December 2006

The Inn La Galleria was like a piece of Paradise on the outskirts of St.John's. It was so quiet and the view was magnificent over the coastline. It was within walking distance to a beach for a swim although over somewhat rough roads (but quite usual for the island as all the roads are in some disrepair). The local bus has a regular route with a stop quite handy to the hotel and the experience of riding with locals is something everyone should have and it is very cheap. Journey into St.John's was about 10-15 mins depending on no. of stops to be made. If staying for a length of time, I would recommend a hire car for convenience and seeing more of the island at an easier pace. I think hire cars were about $50 a day.
Breakfast was huge and graciously served at whatever time I required it. Mine host Gregory was there at all times to help me and as a lone female traveller, I felt quite comfortable and secure. Nothing was ever too much trouble for him, even waking me up at 5am to catch my plane!!! My time on Antigua was enjoyable and quite a slow down of pace after being in New York for the previous couple of weeks.
Access to the hotel could be a problem for people with any disabilities as their are a number of steep stairs and a very steep driveway.
The perfect spot for a restful holiday away from the trapping of a fancy resort type complex. A family run business who makes you feel quite at home.....

• Liked — Friendly hospitality, cleanliness of rooms and the view.....
  • Disliked — Beach access, and trip in and out of St.John's
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
4 Thank Soucig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
new orleans
Reviewed 18 October 2006

Stayed 2 nights in Sep 06 before a cruise. Staff at Inn La Galleria was so nice, and I felt very well taken care of. As a female traveling alone, I felt totally comfortable here.

Post-cruise I needed a place again. I wanted to try in St. Johns, so I checked out 2 properties in the city in the same price range: they couldn't compare. I came back to Inn La Galleria and I was glad I did.

This inn offers a lovely view, but the steps are steep - this is not the place for someone with lots of luggage or mobility problems. It's quite a hike to the beach, and the Grand Royal Antiguan aggressively discouraged my trek to "their" beach even though they had few guests of their own. (I had been told all beaches on Antigua are public.) Other guests told me they were welcomed at Galley Bay resort's beach. Inn La Galleria does not have a pool.

The only real minus was the taxi arranged (twice) by the Inn. The driver was not helpful and avoided contact with any luggage (meaning I and the other gal, with a knee brace, had to struggle with our bags to get them to the van, at which point he finally took over). I found my own taxi driver in town - Johnny with the Red Shoes - and arranged for him to take me to the airport on my last morning.

Five Islands is pretty far from town, but Mon-Sat the bus into St John's costs about $1 USD. With what you'll save by staying here, you'll be able to afford a few taxi rides or even a rental car.

• Liked — very personal service - I felt like family
  • Disliked — lack of beach
  • Tips/Secrets — pack light, but don't forget the repellant. rent a car and the island is yours.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
5 Thank ronnalina
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 15 October 2006

The Inn is a short taxi ride from the airport or town. Our room was very nice and the location is wonderful! The Inn sits on the side of a hill and the views are spectacular and the Inn Keeper and family were very nice and helpful. The slow pace was so relaxing. Great stay at a good price.

• Liked — View / Room / Friendly Owners
  • Disliked — Few Restrants in area
  • Tips/Secrets — Have your own car to travel the island
#1 of 7 in Saint Mary's
Ocean Point Resort & Spa
Ocean Point Resort & Spa
#4 of 15 in St. John's

Been to Inn La Galleria? Share your experiences!