“Straight from the beach, paradise!”

The Inn at English Harbour
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in English Harbour
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Sitting on the hammock, feet berried in the sand, writing this review straight from the beach. Its 10.am, shining sun, crystal clear water and a coconut crush on its way. Just another day in paradise as they say it. I've bin having a lovely stay so far, and quite honestly I could get used to this style of living. The hotel continues to be beautiful, a silent and tranquil caribbean environment, spacious, green and accompanied by the friendliest staff; Glenda, Mesha and Neil, I have to thank you for being so hospitable once again at the beach bar, and Wesley, great service at the The Terrace as always, an exceptional golf player may I add. Mr. Giorgi, the manager, is also hospitable, kind and always finds time to exchange a quick chat. Yesterday I was at the beach bar for lunch, I had fresh fish and ockra, and he stopped by to ask me how my stay was going...greatly appreciated, notable customer interest. The beach bar is open, with fresh sea breeze, designed in detail; from the table cloth design to surrounding colorful hibiscus. Today I will go for Lobster linguini at the Terrace restaurant, which is located on the top of the property overlooking English Harbour. At this time of year their are allot of sailing yachts in the bay, and the view of the masts lit up at night is breath tacking. Quite a contrast to the big city lights. The rooms are beautiful with comfortable beds, stunning beach and palm view, with a fresh breeze and wonderful interior wooden flooring. I walk every morning to the beach, it takes me literally 2 minutes. I recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to relax, and spend some time away from the fast life. There is plenty time here to let your mind free; no stress, no problems, and the only thought of getting up in the morning, having a healthy breakfast, and going for a nice swim. I recommend an evening siesta after a day in the sun. Anyhow, after I finish my coconut crush, it snorkeling time.... As Rumi once said, "travel brings power and love back into your live". I hope my reviewed helped.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank Emanuele1810

Reviewed 17 January 2013

The Inn was the perfect getaway for me and my fiancé. The bungalow facing the tropical reef was the most romantic setting I had ever seen in the Caribbean until now. We took plenty of walks on the beach, and I remember mentioning to my girl that with each step I took I could literally feel the smooth pearled texture of the sand soothing the bottom of my feet. Seriously the best way to start the day. The workers didn't seem to intrude ever, but they were always somehow able to be there right when you needed anything. Everyone seems to have mixed opinions about the food, but I felt like at home, could always taste the love in every dish. I really have no complaints about this place, and was sad to have to leave. Will definitely be saving up to come back soon!!

Room Tip: Beach bungalows are private and cosy
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Edward H
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We picked the Inn at English Harbour because it looked to offer luxury in a superb setting with fantastic access to the beach and in a good location to tour the southern end of the Island. We were not disappointed on any of these counts and our room was fantastic with a very large bathroom, doors straight on to a superb patio and a view to die for! Staff were super friendly and very efficient in the main. The beach was the best we have ever been to, what with a man removing the rocks and stones every morning and then raking the sand, how could you better that! The only disappointment we had was the food which we felt was not up to the standards shown by the rest of the Team at The inn. Breakfast was OK, lunch, when we had it at The Reef Restuarant was good. Dinner was where things didn't come up to standard and it wasn't just us who were disappointed with the food in the evenings. Our Tip would be to book on a B&B basis, enjoy lunch at The Reef when you are on the beach and then go out to dinner in Falmouth Harbour area in the evening. A Cab will cost you 10US dollars each way but it will be worth it. This all said, we will be back as this is the best location hotel anywhere we have been in the world and given the d
Superb standards set in all oer areas I feel sure that the Management here will get the food to match everything else in time.

Room Tip: Couldn't really see a bad one ut the Beach Cabanas may not be for everyone, especially those who...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank John D
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We stayed for four days in early January. We occupied room 30 which is one of their junior suites on the second floor to the left flank of the bay.

Positives:
The property itself and the grounds are lovely. The style of the hotel is very much old school colonial Britishness even though it is run by Italians. The main house is situated at the top of the hill where dinner is served with views across English harbour and the sea. A short ride down the hill in a vehicle are the rooms and all other facilities
Rooms: the room we had was gorgeous and very large with great views and a large terrace. The only small points to raise was that the bed was a queen which can be cramped if not used too and there was no bath. I would also recommend requesting loungers for the terrace. In terms of room selection I would be conscious of not booking the beach cabannas near the reef restaurant they are much smaller and offer little privacy, particularly the one next to the beach restaurant
Maid service was good
Beach: wonderful with excellent facilities. I normally hate the beach preferring the pool but on this holiday turned into a beach lover. Lovely soft sand, inviting bay and sea
English harbour: fun place to explore during the day and evening. Water shuttle bus on standby to take your there up to 5pm
Tennis: 2 great courts

Negatives:
Gym: very poorly equipped - old treadmill, handful of free weights and a spin cycle
Breakfast: for the price i expect flesh orange juice, great coffee and a good selection of fresh fruit and granola - there isn't. The cooked food was good however.
Dinner: I am not sure if I would recommend half board as the menu does not really change and what is on offer is very safe/boring and in terms of quality ok but nothing spectacular. The BBQ evening is very good though. Four nights was more than enough thank you. The brochure refers to being run by an Italian so my expectations was great pasta dishes. But sadly no, packet dried pasta is used and the extent of their imagination ran to penne and tomato sauce
Spa: my Wife had a great massage but the rooms, ambience and experience is not relaxing as you would find elsewhere. Also only one room so very booked up
Service: this is island life and you expect less than other 5 star resorts but for the money I feel The Inn lets itself down. Little improvements would help. Better service on the beach during the day. Tuition on how to serve and poor wine. I could go on and provide a very long list
Management: never saw them and was never introduced. Felt very unsupervised across the whole hotel
Drinks: no idea how to create a good cocktail and the non use of fresh fruit appalling
Beach food and drinks: the restaurant provides lunch food which is great but if you don't want a full meal and just fancy a snack there is nothing. Also the beach restaurant closes at 6pm so there is no where to have a drink to watch the sun go down etc
Afternoon tea: during our stay a lot of the guests were elderly 55+ who I am sure would have enjoyed afternoon tea on their veranda - an opportunity missed

Summary
We had a great stay and felt very relaxed. We rolled with the inadequates but left feeling disappointed. For the money we expected better and more. My wife feels I am being a little harsh but these room go for £600+ a night and at these prices I expect a lot and compare the Inn to the best in the world

Room Tip: It is a decision between the beach cabannas and junior suites. If you love the beach accept the room...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank FennersLondon
EnglishHarbour, General Manager at The Inn at English Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2013

Dear Mr. Fenners,

It is always important for us to receive feedback from our clients and we thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our property. However I feel obliged for fairness to the people who will read this comment to clarify some points which may be due to the short length of your stay are incorrect.

JUNIOR SUITE BED: All our rooms have en-suite bathrooms and have different beds combination: King, Twin and the four post Queen bed which has always been the most popular. You could have asked at anytime for a different bed arrangement but no request was ever made to us.

GYM: Our gym is in fact small with basic equipment due to the small number of rooms, on the other hand both the treadmill and the spin cycle are only few a months old. If I recall well you were coming from another hotel which has no beach and therefore they have invested a lot in a big gym to target a different type of clientele, in any case we are now in the process to upgrade our gym as we have seen more interest in it.

BREAKFAST: We offer fresh squeezed orange juice and grapefruit juice at breakfast, both are highlighted on our breakfast menu along with freshly squeezed seasonal local juices and on the buffet we also have a selection of regular juices. As fresh fruits, I am sure you would have seen that we have a selection of cut fruit which include local pineapple, melon, seasonal fruit and whole fruit with mainly local delicacies like sour soup, passion fruit and other. We feel sincerely sorry that you didn’t like our Blue Mountain coffee, it is a well known Jamaican coffee appreciated by many of our clients. About the Granola, it is always available from the kitchen and if anything is not available for our guests we do our best to get it for the next day.

DINNER: Beside the signature selection of dishes and the grilled option that are a part of our menu every night, we also offer a special menu changed on a daily basis which incorporates among others a local dish and a pasta dish. On a Tuesday night we have a guest chef from Italy for an Italian night and on Thursdays we do a Barbeque at the Beach Restaurant. Being Italian allows me to explain further that in Italy we eat mostly durum wheat pasta (what you call packet dry pasta) and only occasionally fresh pasta that is made with flour and eggs. We offer both on a regular basis.
Our imagination as provided to our guests a great selection of pasta: Lobster linguine, pasta Carbonara, pasta amatriciana, pasta zucchini e shrimps, seafood pasta, pasta with smoked salmon, etc etc. , but as Italian let me say that nothing is more healthy and tasty then a great plate of spaghetti with tomato sauce.
Being in the Caribbean, we like to offer an original culinary experience with of course, some international flair. Our organic garden is very much appreciated by all our guests and is an important element of our cuisine.

SPA: Our masseur gets many compliments and we feel that for the size of our property the space used by the spa is appropriate. In addition a massage can be requested to be done in the room or on the beach. Our massage room is decorated in the same style of the hotel rooms with a lot of attention to details.

SERVICE /DRINKS: On the beach we have 3 well trained members of our staff to assist an average of 40 guests and we provide sun beds, towels, bar service and ice water. At around 11 am fresh kebab fruit are served by our beach attendant and they are also complimentary. I am a little confused about your disappointment on how the wine was served. Our staff is very experienced and in fact both Neil our Head Bartender and Wesly our Restaurant Manager were invited by the Prince and Princess of Monaco to make cocktails at the gala dinner during the last Montecarlo Grand Prix. The royal couple stayed with us for 2 weeks last year and they seemed very pleased with our wine and bar service.

MANAGEMENT: Our Assistant Manager Cristina met you on your arrival, as you were early she offered you a room to rest before check in time. She then took you to the room for the introductory briefing and throughout the duration of your stay she met you daily. In addition, on a Tuesday night at 6 pm we had a management cocktail where our management team meets with the guests, I assume you did not join us on that occasion. As GM I am always discretely supervising the restaurant, beach and other facilities and I am surprised you felt unsupervised.

SNACKS AND DRINKS:
Beside the list below our guests can ask for snack any time they like. As you may have noticed here at this time of the year it gets dark at around 6 pm and that is when our Stone Bar on the hill opens for the guests to enjoy a drink at sunset. However we appreciate your suggestion and we now keep our Beach Bar open until late.
Club Sandwich, Prosciutto baguette, Pita pocket, Tuna melt baguette, fried calamari, shredded beef quesadilla, Cesar salad, caprese salad, seafood salad and many more including daily special.

AFTERNOON TEA: Our guests enjoy an afternoon tea served at the beach bar, on the beach. A selection of tea and tea –making facilities are also in the room or alternately room service is available. Small sandwiches, cookies, cakes and sometimes scones are available

I hope you agree with me that I have been fair in my reply, we are very passionate on what we do and want to ensure that all our guests go away happy and with great memories of their stay. It has taken a lot of hard work to create a sophisticated, relaxed and charming place, appreciated by many discerning guests looking for quality and authenticity in a special setting, and so it saddens us if even one goes away without having appreciated their stay.

Kind regards

Fabio Giorgi
The Inn

Reviewed 12 January 2013

Visited The Inn many times but as usual, issues with non guests (from boats and from resort on other side of the beach using the Inn's floating pontoons, keeping guests from using them. Easy to rectify, just signage as other hotels do). Food could be better but staff always excellent. Irish family renting a room at The Inn but importing their other family members with young children from the other hotel and using our hotel loungers etc. We didn't come to an adults hotel(over 12?) for families to circumvent the rules with no interference from the hotel staff. Suppose they don't want to upset anyone! Obviously beaches and sea all public in Antigua but the the hotel could have prevented the children wandering all over the hotel grounds and using facilities. Would suggest security person on beach keeping an eye out for stuff like this.

Still a wonderful hotel with such good staff.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cergsmith
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Get ready to rewind and relax! Just left after 4 magical days in paradise! Superb is the only word that does this intimate resort justice- from the decor of the rooms to the service- food- infinity edge beachfront pool and the white sand pristine beach- just Superb! Can not wait to return!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Theresa145
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We recently staid here for 8 days. The situation of the hotel is amazing, it has the most perfect swimming of anywhere I have stayed in thw world. Lovely beach, great staff everywhere in the hotel. We stayed in a beach cabana, tiny bathroom but the position made up for it. Could do with a wider choice for lunch and more refined food in the evenning, but the food was always good.
I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The de luxe rooms look amazing
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village
COCOS Hotel Antigua
COCOS Hotel Antigua
#1 of 2 in Jolly Harbour

Been to The Inn at English Harbour? Share your experiences!